Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I'm toying with applying for a couple of roles at Microsoft. I've got a pretty solid background and can tailor my resume to line up with the job posts pretty well, and I have someone in my network who's willing to make a referral (he's in the sales side, if that makes a difference).

I'd really like to get some details from goons that have worked at MS in cloud architect/principal cloud architect roles. Any ups and downs of the role and the work would be great. I don't mind that both will be client-facing, and I can speak to projects and accomplishments where I've worked with all kinds of different parts of the business in my Azure roles so far.

I'm also in the process of seeing if I can find people on Linkedin who previously held the role and getting their opinion, but I trust goonpinions unless they're in fyad. I'd love to get input beyond what I can see on Glassdoor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
We have a tech subforum and the working in IT thread will probably be your best bet for getting answers, or possibly someone who can point you in a better direction.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Judging by the amount of outages, breakages, failed updates, failed network changes, failed anything emails I get every single day for Office 365, their culture must be a complete and utter flustercluck.

I mean 3-10 things go wrong every single day. Some take weeks to fix. Today I discovered the built in To Do app in Outlook just stops working. Reddit posts from 8 months ago had the only fix (delete a random cache folder) and that stopped working again after a week.

Though to be fair, 1-3 other items are false positives that aren't actually broken, so maybe you're be the engineer they need to fix all their problems!

I just wanted to say good luck and we're all counting on you.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Oct 13, 2023

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Azure and O365 are (thankfully) two separate chunks and (blessed be) I'd be in the Azure world. I have (baruch dayan emet) avoided touching O365 in my career.

At least with Azure you can always point to the SLAs and uptime guarantees and (politely) remind that building in redundancy beyond those is the customer's job, which us CSAs or Principal CSAs would be happy to help with.

I'll post in the appropriate subs as well, you just never know who comes by a forum when.

Modulo16
Feb 12, 2014

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."

I am a Principal Architect and I work closely with Microsoft Architects in a lot of different aspect of my job every day. It depends on what Business Center you are in. If you are a client-side Architect, you most likely engage with Azure customers to design solutions to complex business cases or initiatives. You'll also be harassed about your Azure Import/Export Statuses for a client. If you are on the implementation side of the business, you mostly work with internal engineering to provide pure architecture roles. Cloud Architecture jobs are rad, and you should do it. I came from a NOC Engineer -> SysAdmin -> Cloud Engineering -> Sr. Engineer -> Staff Engineer -> Principal. I enjoy my work every day.