Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Al! posted:

thats not the only purpose. job applications for example are one
you should work in defense instead, it's probably more honorable and interesting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Those seem like really low job apps for gov but they are sticklers for even the most minor poo poo

HallelujahLee has issued a correction as of 18:22 on Dec 8, 2023

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

mawarannahr posted:

you should work in defense instead, it's probably more honorable and interesting

sorry but no i wont let chuds like you destroy public healthcare

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Al! posted:

the problem is hr departments dont have a technology problem they have a fundamental strategic problem. could probably write reams about this but the key thing is nobody's bothered to rethink how to hire someone since personnel departments became hr departments over the 70s and 80s. hr leaders are focused on technology solutions, when there are huge strategic problems in every company ive ever worked for with regards to their hr departments and surprise, purging them doesnt work either.

if i was to pinpoint what the problem is exactly is that companies by and large did away with the idea of something like a probationary period in favor of focusing on the Right Hire. this is totally backwards of course. if someone is minimally qualified to perform a job you simply cannot determine anything else about them through 1-5 hours of interviews and paperwork. whether they are successful in a job or a "culture fit" depends on the structure of the organization

the reason they did away with this of course is because probationary periods are tied in closely with unions and collective bargaining agreements

if i had to break things down into a few core conclusions, it'd be these:

- jobs are too easy to apply to now, so people apply without really considering their own qualifications, overburdening themselves and the companies' applicant pools
- nothing is transparent or standardized; interview processes are rarely shared up front
- candidates usually have zero true idea where they stand or if a job they applied or are interviewing for has been sitting for months because it's a ghost job
- companies face zero repercussions for waffling on their hiring needs because jobs are effectively free or near-free to post

at least for white collar jobs right now, to your point, 95% are simply not real or companies want a 100% perfect hire if they're going to hire anyone at all, rather than taking a shot on someone who is 90% of the way there

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
the other thing about the ghost jobs is that the bigger job boards scrape from smaller job boards and arent really careful about it. so say your company posts a job to their workday job board and indeed scrapes it, well indeed then might not take down that posting even if the posting is taken down on the job board it scraped. as you can imagine thats pretty infuriating to candidates and employers

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
I would simply walk into the Job and show my gumption and savvy by sitting at the meeting and ask about the reports. kids these days just want hand outs

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Rexicon1 posted:

I would simply walk into the Job and show my gumption and savvy by sitting at the meeting and ask about the reports. kids these days just want hand outs

this is literally how i did it all my life until april. walk into hotel, ask to speak to mr patel, start the next day

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
is this a uniquely US problem? i help people find jobs in a european country and it can be annoying sometimes but none of this multiple interview garbage, or thousands of applicants for a single position

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

ELTON JOHN posted:

is this a uniquely US problem? i help people find jobs in a european country and it can be annoying sometimes but none of this multiple interview garbage, or thousands of applicants for a single position
I don’t know about Europe but yes there’s way way way way more people looking than decentish/cushy jobs available in america

like sure you could walk into a Kroger’s and shake the managers hand and get a job for $10/hr as a cashier without interviews, or sign up for a gig app and deliver Taco Bell to techbros, but that’s not what most people are talking about when job hunting

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

HallelujahLee posted:

Those seem like really low job apps for gov but they are sticklers for even the most minor poo poo

My experience is that if they are jobs that require you to be in an office then you get very few applications. The one I have is in rural oklahoma so there were only like 5 applications despite being well paid and the IT private sector taking poo poo at the time it was up.

Remote jobs though? They reach the application limit a few hours after being posted.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

i've been unemployed so long that i've finally reached the "something must be wrong with me that i haven't found a job yet and therefore i am unemployable" phase

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Cao Ni Ma posted:

My experience is that if they are jobs that require you to be in an office then you get very few applications. The one I have is in rural oklahoma so there were only like 5 applications despite being well paid and the IT private sector taking poo poo at the time it was up.

Remote jobs though? They reach the application limit a few hours after being posted.

Fair enough def my experience with remote as well