Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G-Philez
Feb 11, 2005
Drinking, Driving, Thinking of You
Problem description: I've upgraded my wife's laptop from a 1TB HDD to a 2TB SSD. The laptop only sees the SSD when I enable legacy devices. I get the following blue screen message:

"Recovery

Your PC/Device needs to be repaired.

The application or operating system couldn't be loaded because a required file is missing or contains errors.

File: \WINDOWS\system32\winload.efi
Error code: 0xc000000e

You'll need to use recovery tools. If you don't have any installation media (like a disc or USB device), contact your PC administrator or PC/Device manufacturer."

Attempted fixes: I have attempted to run "bootrec /FixBoot" using Windows 10 installation media, but access is denied. I am currently making a fresh clone using EaseUS Disk Copy. This is my first time using the software, and I hope it actually makes a true clone. I see that Todo Backup is another piece of software made by EaseUS.

Recent changes: Upgrading to Crucial BX500 2000GB SSD from Toshiba 1TB HDD

--

Operating system: Windows 10 Home Edition 64-bit

System specs: HP Pavilion Laptop 17-ar050wm

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

If you keep running into various issues it might help to update the laptop BIOS to the latest version.

G-Philez
Feb 11, 2005
Drinking, Driving, Thinking of You
Unfortunately, after the BIOS update the security key for the pin code to sign into Windows 10 could no longer be used, and my wife does not remember the password. The accunt is tied into an old phone number of hers so we cannot simply change the password without confirming her identity. Now we have to wait 30 days before she can use that account. I am still trying to get the SSD to work as well.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Sounds like the Boot Manager isn't being found. It is correct to disable legacy mode. Windows Boot Manager is only seen and used in UEFI mode. Re cloning using proper partitioning and format should work fine. How did you clone the thing? I use Partition Master 11 to great success.

Make sure the new ssd is initialized as a GPT partition scheme and reclone

You were on the right track with /fixboot and if re cloning it doesn't work, will have to venture there again.

For passwords, I use a "windows PE" boot usb to boot into another version of windows, then use software on that USB to convert a "Live" account into a local account which resets the password and any ties to her online accounts.