Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
He was a boy, she was a girl
Can I make it any more obvious?

quote:

Avril opens up the song by strongly introducing, and implying the love between her two main characters.

One of the most iconic lines from this song, it has often been parodied and interpolated. More recently, the line has received criticism for being heteronormative in its assumption of relationship from nothing but the characters' opposite sexes.

Sorry, girl, but you missed out
Well, tough luck, that boy's mine now
We are more than just good friends
This is how the story ends

quote:

This was a “major plot twist” moment back in the 2000s, as it was more common for singers to sing about themselves in the third person. Avril manages to deliver two thirds of the song under the radar as a song about herself.

This line pulls back the curtain and reveals that the whole time, she was one of the protagonist’s friends providing peer pressure.

Because of the girl’s shy nature, and the peer pressure from her friends, Avril was able to swoop in and take the boy for herself.

I'll be backstage after the show

quote:

After show back stage meetings are commonly attributed to groupies.
A groupie is a fan who has sex with a celebrity. While you are still rolling the dice, you can get lucky if you have a VIP, or Backstage pass. Avril is saying that after the show, she will be having sex with the skater boy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Whenever I hear a love song, I invariably have to write a thesis on how it is extremely problematic because it didn't cover all possible combinations of sexual preferences.

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
I've been through the desert on a horse with no name it was good to get out of the rain.

On the first part of the journey
I was looking at all the life

quote:

There are two mutually exclusive interpretations of these lines, both of which are endorsed by the band—a real or metaphoric voyage in the desert.

There were plants and birds and rocks and things
There was sand and hills and rings
The first thing I met was a fly with a buzz
And the sky with no clouds

quote:

Desert Rings or Fairy Circles are sometimes built by sand termites, but there is no consensus on the exact cause of their formation. The fly is a symbol of pestilence historically associated with Satan. This recasts going into the desert as not only a literal trip, but also a spiritual journey like the Temptation of Christ, where Satan tempted Jesus as he wandered alone for 40 days and 40 nights. The narrator knows his mettle will be tested spiritually as he braves the elements.

Cause there ain't no one for to give you no pain.

quote:

Writer Dewey Bunnell took credit and the blame for the grammar in this line:

I have taken a lot of poetic license in my use of grammar, and I always cringe a little bit at my use of ‘aint’s,’ like ‘ain’t no one for to give you no pain’ in “Horse.”
I’ve never actually spoken that way, but I think it conveys a certain honesty when you’re not picking and choosing your words, and you use that kind of colloquialism.

La, la, la lala la la la, la, la

quote:

The group’s delivery here had made many believe that the song was inspired, or even written by Canadian icon Neil Young. In fact, the song was later nicknamed, “A horse with No Neil.”

Songwriter, Dewey Bunnell confirmed the influence:

I never shied away from the fact that it was inspired by him.

Interestingly, “A Horse with No Name” replaced Young’s greatest hit, Heart of gold at the top of the billboard charts.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

we need to stop the internet before the true meaning of VENGABUS is discovered

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
I used to see you every day
I used to see you every day

quote:

The beginning lyrics ambiguously describe a relationship that has recently become more unfamiliar. The repetition of the first line could suggest that the character describing the relationship feels an air of boredom or monotony towards the regularity and intesity of their meetings with this person. However, the repetition also has an implication of wistfulness, that could link to a regret the character carries about things not being the way they used to be.

‘Seeing someone’ usually carries sexual conotations. The listener is given the impression from the first line that this was a regular sexual relationship, on the brink of becoming ‘official’ or important to one or both of the people involved.

I danced around your folk and soul
I danced to all your loving soul

quote:

This seems to be a bitter stab at how the character was made to feel and act in this relationship.

‘Dancing around’ an issue useually means to not explicitly say what one means (or wants), but hinting at it instead. The first line could therefore suggest that the character was pretending to enjoy, or agree with, their lovers tastes or ideas, when they actually didn’t ring true with the character’s own views at all.

‘Dancing’ can sometimes imply being made to impress people, whilst compromising yourself and, therefore, becoming ‘their bitch’. “I danced to all your loving soul” sounds like the character feels as though he was forced to agree with and act upon his lovers persuasions.

I left you with your nose a bleedin'
And your toes a creepin' around

quote:

This has connotations of the lovers use of cocaine. “Toes a creepin' around” counjours up images of someone very high or possibly even having a fit after taking cocaine.

The fact he left the patner in that state sounds as though he doesnt care very much for them. Possibly the drug use is an aspect of the patner’s life that the character wants to get away from.

Ahhh so mundane and incomplete
Hand my down my pants
And get me off this street

[Chorus]
I'm passed out in your garden
I'm in, I can't get off
Soft
So I'd pop myself in your body
I'd come into your party, but I'm soft

[Verse 2]
Behind the fringe of a whiskey high
Mutiliating cat-like eyes
And in your nose blood, decadence

quote:

This annotation is unreviewed
This is referring to the woman snorting cocaine

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Intellectualize Avril Lavigne songs

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Private Cumshoe posted:

Intellectualize Avril Lavigne songs

OK.

Done..

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Avril Lavigne is a treasure don't anyone dare make a bad post about her :colbert:

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Can you guess the song??

Rugikiki
Jan 15, 2008

Illinois Nazis.
I hate Illinois Nazis!

A Strange Aeon posted:

Can you guess the song??

Love in an elevator. What does genius.com say about the line “I kinda hope we get stuck/nobody gets out alive?”

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

quote:

After show back stage meetings are commonly attributed to groupies.
A groupie is a fan who has sex with a celebrity. While you are still rolling the dice, you can get lucky if you have a VIP, or Backstage pass. Avril is saying that after the show, she will be having sex with the skater boy.

How DARE THEY imply that Avril is a mere groupie??? She clearly wrote the song WITH the skater boy about a girl they used to know. For shame "genius".com, for shame.

They're still totally gonna bone down though. Can she make it any more obvious?

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Rugikiki posted:

Love in an elevator. What does genius.com say about the line “I kinda hope we get stuck/nobody gets out alive?”

Nothing yet. But in my opinion, the protagonist hopes he and Jackie gently caress each other to death in the elevator.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Everyone’s Gone to the Movies is about what? Goddamn.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

quote:

He was a boy, she was a girl
Can I make it any more obvious?

From the very beginning, God implies the expansion of His own community. He says, "Let Us," indicating a community already exists. Man was made, physically, in God's image, and he begins with characteristics of shape and form in common with his Maker. The rest of the Bible fills in the details of how mankind is being brought from having not only form and shape in common with his Maker, but also character, so that he fits perfectly into the community that the Maker is expanding.

quote:

Sorry, girl, but you missed out
Well, tough luck, that boy's mine now
We are more than just good friends
This is how the story ends

Genesis 3:13 adds, “And the LORD God said to the woman, 'What is this you have done?' The woman said, 'The serpent deceived me, and I ate.'” Thus, from what Jesus says in John 8:44 regarding Satan's part in this episode, we find that God held Satan guilty of murder. His weapon was the deceit that encouraged her to commit sin. She did not completely overlook her respect for God but discounted it enough to give into Satan's persuasion. She did this on the strength of her desire, fueled by her lust for the pleasure of eating the forbidden fruit—but even more so to fulfill her desire to become wise. Then, Adam, though not deceived as Eve was, also discounted God's counsel in order to make sure he did not displease Eve. He was guilty of idolatry.

quote:

I'll be backstage after the show

God did not intervene to stop either Satan or Adam and Eve from following their desires. Adam and Eve had a test to pass. They failed, as have all their progeny. Only Christ has succeeded. Unless one is converted and under Christ's blood, Satan continues to hold this power even to this day. But we are not defenseless; we have Christ to help us in this battle.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Dixville posted:

How DARE THEY imply that Avril is a mere groupie??? She clearly wrote the song WITH the skater boy about a girl they used to know. For shame "genius".com, for shame.

They're still totally gonna bone down though. Can she make it any more obvious?

Furthermore, she describes the song as "about a girl you used to know", not "a girl we used to know". She herself never knew the girl, and yet genius.com characterizes her as one of the girl's friends who turned up their noses at the boy — and in doing so recharacterizes their snobbery as an elaborate ruse to steal the boy.

It's Avril Lavigne, the lyrics aren't complicated! The way genius acts like they're saying something else gets me frustrated.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
She did ballet

Argyle Gargoyle
Apr 1, 2009

ABSTRACT SHAPES CREW

Woo hoo!
Woo hoo!
Woo hoo!
Woo hoo!

quote:

Blur opens Song 2, the high point of the Song trilogy, with the main theme. They immediately start off at full strength, letting us join in on how enjoyable it can be to play guitar while yelling "Woo hoo!" followed by mumbling things. I feel this speaks directly to the human condition, the peaks and valleys of intense emotion.

Argyle Gargoyle fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Nov 29, 2023

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Rugikiki posted:

I'm guessing the comment "nobody gets out alive" is innuendo to the concept of 'la petite mort', the 'little death', a term given to post-orgasm sensation.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.

poemdexter posted:

From the very beginning, God implies the expansion of His own community. He says, "Let Us," indicating a community already exists. Man was made, physically, in God's image, and he begins with characteristics of shape and form in common with his Maker. The rest of the Bible fills in the details of how mankind is being brought from having not only form and shape in common with his Maker, but also character, so that he fits perfectly into the community that the Maker is expanding.

Genesis 3:13 adds, “And the LORD God said to the woman, 'What is this you have done?' The woman said, 'The serpent deceived me, and I ate.'” Thus, from what Jesus says in John 8:44 regarding Satan's part in this episode, we find that God held Satan guilty of murder. His weapon was the deceit that encouraged her to commit sin. She did not completely overlook her respect for God but discounted it enough to give into Satan's persuasion. She did this on the strength of her desire, fueled by her lust for the pleasure of eating the forbidden fruit—but even more so to fulfill her desire to become wise. Then, Adam, though not deceived as Eve was, also discounted God's counsel in order to make sure he did not displease Eve. He was guilty of idolatry.

God did not intervene to stop either Satan or Adam and Eve from following their desires. Adam and Eve had a test to pass. They failed, as have all their progeny. Only Christ has succeeded. Unless one is converted and under Christ's blood, Satan continues to hold this power even to this day. But we are not defenseless; we have Christ to help us in this battle.

Praise Him!

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I think a lot of it might be deleted now, but the lead singer from everything everything started replying to a bunch of annotations with 'no, this is wrong, totally off base. This is what I meant when I wrote it'

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

numberoneposter posted:

it's coming

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
It's nice to know that there is somewhere on the internet where we can go to meet real, certified big-brain genuises

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

numberoneposter posted: