Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Ok so , my wife’s MacBook screen is gone

Dog chomped the corner the screen is pooched (ha ha ha)

She ordered a replacement and asked me to fix it up

What arrived was JUST the lcd screen , and nothing else

I started to take the thing apart to swap it out , and then realized I didn’t have A all the tools I need and B a way to put the new screen back into the bezel

Can anyone point me to a place where I can buy a “kit” of what I need

I have the proper screw drivers and such , but I need the “air slice” thingy , and then whatever else is needed to put the new screen into the bezel and secure it (glue ?) and the black gasket that goes around the edge

I’ve tried various places but they only seem to sell the screen and the air slice finding the rest of the bits is proving difficult

I MIGHT have also broken a little corner off the logo strip at the bottom of the screen , not a big deal right ?

I’m in Canada if that helps !

Cheers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
The general advice is to not do what you're doing and replace the "assembly" instead. They (the whole screen) used to be about $575 new. Now they're way cheaper. Used is fiiiine. You likely purchased the "LCD" only, cheaper but waaaaaaaaaay more fragile and specific to replace! Send it back if you can still.

A protip is that you can search for just Macbook 12 retina assembly and yours will work with any A1534 regardless of color. The YEAR IS VITALLY IMPORTANT. 2016 I THINK. ONLY.

Another protip is that most people will run screaming upon seeing a macbook retina. They are correct to do so. You can and SHOULD run screaming, but you should and can fix this, for her.

You should also start building up a bit of dread: it's likely about to poo poo the bed completely, taking *everything* with it. Or it won't and will be fine for years. This is the ONLY Mac model I actively steer people away from fixing. Everyone hates these things. Hellspawn to the core in every way. Cute and light though, last all day! Fast enough too! Great lcd too. loving things.

Tldr A screen replacement is intense, an assembly replacement less so. Go for the assembly replacement. Grey looks pretty sweet on pink or gold, etc if you find a deal cheaper. 2016 only.

down1nit fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Dec 15, 2023

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Double check the year if you can. It's so important.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Another protip, read this while you're doing the replacement:

Yes, you do have to remove that bit to get the hinges free. The other side too. Keep track of these screws. And the hinges have to be almost all the way "open". They won't come out if the lid is closed when you unscrew those bulky t8 screws. Use alcohol to weaken the flat cable's glue easier.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Get rid of the thing as soon as you can, while it works, while it still holds value.

Sell it to some sucker on ebay

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
gently caress I hate 12" retina macs. Sorry to vent here.

Eat all the poo poo, apple. Notice there are no 12" Macbooks for sale anymore, you losers. They keet trying but it was a failed design from the start. The density on the board is insane, the chips are packed like sardines, there is NO fan, and everything overheats their neighbor chips. Every chip has like 300 tasks it has to do and they all work so hard they die by brain shorting (hyperbole).

Great product overall, honestly. A marked structural improvement on the unibody airs and the chipped plastic Macbooks of yore. A beautiful design with great battery capacity, and a industry changing (for the worse) keyboard architecture. The retina screen and the insane battery life was a fantastic shot across the bow to early ultraportable manufacturing. The really early models (like yours) were slower and more expensive than their 2015-2017 macbook air brethren, making them appealing only to nerds, ultralight fans, and apple geeks.

Which were you lol?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Holy poo poo thank you for the heads up and advice !!!

I’m not sure where she bought the lcd from but it will most likely not be returnable now

But I can easily replace the lid , I’ve already gone as far as completely removing it anyways , and I didn’t even break any of the little tiny ribbon cable connectors (I don’t think!)

Thanks again and if you ever want a busted rear end retina lcd lmk I’ll ship it for you to punch :)