Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
Problem description:
Sometimes (unpredictable when, but it WILL happen) when I'm playing games my monitors decide to "turn off" (enter power-saving mode, little square with 'no connection' bouncing around, the whole deal) and I have to re-boot the PC physically using the power button for it to work again.
The PC however, doesn't turn off as I can still hear sounds through the headset, and the computer still 'runs'.

I haven't noticed it happening with ALL games or at least not consistently, -i spent a long evening playing -rogue trader and cyberpunk 2077 - but, with random ones, most recently with Farthest Frontier, but I noticed it with Foundation too. There's no rhyme or reason to it as far as I can tell, but I obviously don't know poo poo about poo poo. I've run taskmanager on my second screen while gaming just to see, and GPU and processor use is low and everything seems normal up until The Event and all goes black.
The computer isn't new, or anything, it's a leftover from work I got handed fresh in box from the storage room when my own was broken in transit here, but it's been working fine for about 6 months.

Attempted fixes:
Obviously I've googled around and got a few helpful sites describing similar problems, but none of the attempted fixes worked. I changed the link state power settings, restored windows and did a clean install in case there was something causing the problem, updated drivers all the usual stuff a non-techy person knows to do except open the case and look inside as I don't have the correct screwdrivers here, and I'd have to track some down, I might be able to though. Honestly thats a bit outside my comfort zone anyway. I have NOT changed cables, as, honestly, finding some here would be next to impossible, but I've been adviced there's a small chance thats possibly the culprit.

Recent changes:

none

Operating system:
Windows 11

System specs:
GTX 3070
Intel i7-10700 CPU 2.90GHz
32 gb RAM

Location: See I wasn't going to put this, but it actually impacts the kind of help and new poo poo i can reasonably get on short or even medium notice. I'm on a work assignment in Greenland, (and we're iced in so supply boats don't come and ordering air freight is expensive) and will be until at least summer.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Make sure W11 is fully updated.

Run DDU https://www.wagnardsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4796 and then install the latest GPU drivers again.

You could also make sure you're on the latest motherboard BIOS.

And yes, trying another monitor/cable type would narrow things down more.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Man, I really think you should find a fuckin screwdriver. You're in the coldest place in north america surrounded by electronics' worst nightmare, salty water.

I assume you're coastal, only idiots don't live by the coast there.

That board is old enough that you doing a proper onceover on all the bits that plug into it may not be a bad idea. A qtip and some rubbing alcohol will get all the corrosion it's likely built up around it's connectors. I'm kinda joking, i know you have heating, but you absolutely do have a marine environment outdoors (i hope)

Barring that, yeah bios and new cables (x2) could help, just make sure they're not even shittier cables haha (good luck goon). If nothing works, you may try overvolting your CPU/GPU but really do consider inspecting the poo poo out of that set up :)

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
And yeah you did all the good things. Clean install of 11 is a pro move. BIOS update should absolutely be on the table. Clean install of 10 may be a consideration too, if you can try it.