Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

u sp33k l33t br0
Sep 12, 2007

Who Doesn't Like Intercourse?
Soiled Meat
Problem description: My bluetooth connection to my headphones has been spotty lately but I had assumed the issue was with my headphones as they are quite old. During this time I managed to get it working again but a strange thing I noticed was that trying to remove the device led to an error message that the device could not be removed which I found strange but since they continued working eventually I didn't bother worrying about it. Yesterday the problem reappeared and I tried troubleshooting it. The icon for my headphones in the bluetooth and other devices menu in my settings stated that bluetooth was turned off, but there was no option to turn bluetooth on. The on/off switch for bluetooth was missing. Most of the advice I found involved uninstalling bluetooth drivers and resetting the PC to have them reinstall. I had done this before so I wasn't worried about trying it again, but this time when I rebooted my PC the bluetooth drivers did not reinstall. Bluetooth does not show up in my device manager even when enabling Show Hidden Devices. One recommendation I found was to download the drivers directly from the PC makers support site but even after doing so bluetooth still does not show up when checking my device manager after rebooting when prompted after downloading and installing the bluetooth drivers.

Attempted fixes: I uninstalled my bluetooth drivers initially to try and resolve an issue with my headphones not connecting with my PC but this lead to my current issue of bluetooth drivers refusing to install and not showing up in my device manager. I downloaded bluetooth drivers directly from Asus's website and installed them but nothing changed. When I run the bluetooth troubleshooter it simply states that bluetooth is not available on this device.

Recent changes: Nothing I can think of. It worked earlier in the day and stopped working suddenly.

--

Operating system: Windows 10 64-bit

System specs: Asus Tuf Gaming F17 TUF706HE. 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-11260H @ 2.60GHz 2.61 GHz 16GB memory.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

You could try doing a system restore and going back a few months (if possible).

Also, I'd make sure you're on the latest BIOS for the laptop.

u sp33k l33t br0
Sep 12, 2007

Soiled Meat
Updating BIOS made no difference. The earliest I could system restore was Dec 12 and my bluetooth drivers are back. However, it is back to the state where my 'bluetooth and other devices' menu in the settings states that 'bluetooth is turned off' with no available option to turn it back on. This was a recent issue for me which started well after Dec 12. The advice when I google this issue is mostly to uninstall my bluetooth drivers, which I am now hesitant to do as I worry they will not reinstall after I reboot.

u sp33k l33t br0 fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Dec 27, 2023

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I'd check the BIOS and make sure that Bluetooth is enabled and any other related settings in the BIOS look okay.

If everything in the BIOS looks okay then there's always a chance that the Bluetooth hardware has failed in some way.

Or it could be an OS issue of some sort. You could try booting from a Linux OS on a flash drive and seeing if Bluetooth works or not. If it doesn't work on another OS then that's pointing to a hardware issue.

u sp33k l33t br0
Sep 12, 2007

Soiled Meat
I've ordered a USB bluetooth adapter which I'm hoping will work out. Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

u sp33k l33t br0
Sep 12, 2007

Soiled Meat
Seems to work, closing thread.