Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless
Jean really benefits from being a Martial Monk to start. Staff exp is really good in this game and the only other dedicated healer you have is Framme, so he’ll always have something to do with staff botting and chain guarding to move himself forward. Plus if you want you have the arena to nickel and dime him forward between chapters, assuming you don’t want to do skirmishes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
Jean is another candidate for the first second seal. Martial monk's combat leaves a lot to be desired and staff exp is slow. It's better to get him into something like axe fighter and feed him some levels with Mercurius.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Jean is extremely flexible but you have to specialize him to make him useful. On maddening that results in somewhat of a glass cannon that's too little too late, but on hard you can turn him into a loving beast of a unit if you want to invest in him. I'm curious to see whether you'll use him (and how) or just bench him for more interesting characters.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Ah, Jean. This was the first anything I ever saw of Engage. Spoilers because of future characters in the UI.

https://twitter.com/tray790x/status/1616594121015033856

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

It a’int Fire Emblem without child soldiers in the roster.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Ah, Jean. This was the first anything I ever saw of Engage. Spoilers because of future characters in the UI.

https://twitter.com/tray790x/status/1616594121015033856

Ahahah that video loving rules

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Jean's an interesting case of the Villager archetype, and I personally like how it makes use of the reclassing system so that he can be completely different from each run if you wish.

If you go magic Jean, you can just keep him as a Martial Monk to 10, then promote him and change his class then if you're inclined. This'll give him a high magic but no speed boost beyond his own growths, so if you want him doubling he's actually best as Chloe's promoted class funny enough, again with a Levin Sword (LEVIN SWORDS FOR EVERYONE). However, due to the lag time of getting the good class speed growth, he'll need some boosts to get it going. Alternatively, just keep him in a magic blaster class for a big 1 shot hit.

If you want physical Jean, since he's so reliant on class growths, it's actually best to not level him as Martial Monk at all since he'll get next to no physical boost from it, and just leave him at level 1 till you get the option to start reclassing. There's a later thing that can be used to catch up lagging characters (even on Maddening). Most of the time, the early characters don't have enough oomph to really care for this anyways, so may as well go for the complete project character for the laughs. I'll talk more on the physical path once we see more of the classes, since the classes I've used for this hasn't appeared yet. It's also really funny to do.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

The most important thing is to make Jean a physical class. That way, he can return home as a first-rate doctor. His specialty?

Surgery :black101:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
So what I'm hearing is Swordmaster Jean. :hmmyes:

Malah
May 18, 2015

You can never have enough backups swordmasters in a FE LP. However, that kid looks pretty scrawny - we should feed him some meat and make him a General. :getin:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I kept him in magic, made him a Sage, and he was an absolute monster for me. Not only did he have sky-high magic, he had just enough defense to take a physical blow and survive. Genuinely one of the best units in my army.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.

Malah posted:

You can never have enough backups swordmasters in a FE LP. However, that kid looks pretty scrawny - we should feed him some meat and make him a General. :getin:

I second this motion, mostly because I want to see if they let him keep the hat.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I know Berserker is another popular pick for Jean, and it's pretty funny to turn this scrawny kid into a beef skyscraper in terms of stats.

weso12
Nov 19, 2014

Lurker, Sims 3 LPer, Bored College Student
Isn't warrior the best class in the game due to longbow and backup.

Side note I find it funny that melee and archers could have their specialties swapped and both would be better for it. Like Convert is better for melee characters and Back up is better for long ranged characters.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Warrior is easily one of the best classes in the game, maybe even top dog.

Berserker is unfortunately an awful class and while you can still make it work there's basically zero upside to using it over Warrior, it's probably the worst Berserker has been in a long time.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Warrior is good but definitely not the best class in the game, which is Wyvern again. I'm shocked, really.

MatteusTheCorrupt
Nov 1, 2010
Berserker has exactly one thing over Warrior:
It is the only backup class with S rank axes.
Not that it really matters.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Wyvern is actually quite weak in this game because every character that doesn't get the special model reminds me that their dragon could have my boy's special model, but they don't.

And that makes me sad.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I found the class balance to be pretty decent in this game, though obviously stuff like Wyverns and Warriors bring a bit more to the table and a team can arguably suffer for not having at least one of them.

cardinale
Jul 11, 2016

RevolverDivider posted:

Warrior is easily one of the best classes in the game, maybe even top dog.

Berserker is unfortunately an awful class and while you can still make it work there's basically zero upside to using it over Warrior, it's probably the worst Berserker has been in a long time.
The upside to Berserker is that (later character) doesn't have to change out of their excellent default outfit!

weso12
Nov 19, 2014

Lurker, Sims 3 LPer, Bored College Student
It felt like the promotions where you no new weapon types (Berserker, Swordmaster, Sniper, Paladin, General, and Halberdier would theoretically fall under here if it wasn't for the fact you know no base class Lance Fighters) are more "punishment classes/back up worse options for not using the weapon proficiency emblem stuff" then like stuff that is actually useful. Berserker, Swordmasters, Halberdier and Snipers not having a crit bonus or anything unique to make up for only having one weapon type and infanty shows that as well as generals being 1 move behind infantry when tier 1 armors were not. You brought Halberdiers back in the series for the first time in 7 games and you can't access them without reclass is kind of dumb and they aren't that good if you go out of your way of them is an insult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
The best class in the game is Mage Knight just because of how strong magic gets compared to physical weapons. Most magic classes are pretty slow to make up for the offensive power of higher tier spells. Mage Knight does not have that problem.