Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
More specifically, I'm curious about what things attorneys have to do, and specifically which activities are most time-consuming. I've heard many times about legal fees for lawsuits becoming enormous, which presumably (tell me if I'm wrong!) translates into people spending numerous hours doing... something. I'm guessing, as a layman, that some of that is gathering and analyzing evidence, some of that is researching applicable case law, some of it is drafting motions and filings, and (sometimes) some of it preparing for time in court. (And I'd like to know what I'm missing there as well!)

But I'm unclear as to how that proportionally breaks down - is there a particular activity that dominates billable hours? Are there certain types of lawsuits more likely to be generate higher legal fees than others? And how common or uncommon is it for attorneys/firms to pad their hours?

I'm also curious as to the exact mechanisms by which a case gets deliberately dragged out for no other reason than to stall and waste time, how common that kind of tactic is, and whether that's an unavoidable consequence or if there would theoretically be a fair way to curtail it.

Also interested in whatever anecdotes and trivia you think are or could be interesting, and any other aspects of a lawsuit (or the legal system at large) that I'm missing. :)

Also just to head off any speculation - no, I am not involved in (nor expecting to be involved in) any sort of lawsuit. This is something I thought about while reading another thread and didn't want to derail that thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU