Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheSonofBattles
Sep 29, 2003

by Ozma
Replying to A) Say that after watching the first few episodes of this series, I'm quite intriqued, and will continue watching. B) That I ordered the jacket for teh sake of it, though I'm not sure i'll be able to buy for a few months (3 or 4).

Also I just didn't want to see the thread die :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilsake
Oct 25, 2004

by Fragmaster
I refuse to let this thread die. Anyway, thank you for pointing out such an excellent anime. I am downloading the first few eps right now.

OneGreatTurtle
Jan 10, 2002

Cleverly disguised as the greatest librarian ever

quote:

sakesniper came out of the closet to say:
I refuse to let this thread die. Anyway, thank you for pointing out such an excellent anime. I am downloading the first few eps right now.
you're going to be downloading a whole hell of a lot more episodes in a short while

froobly
Sep 12, 2003

These are my awards, Mother. From Army. The seal is for marksmanship, and the gorilla is for sand racing!
To be fair, there are only 29 episodes to be downloaded so far.

Lohengramm is Hitler. Discuss.

Portable591
Oct 3, 2002

Kagari Mafia Ringleader and ray tracing EXPERT

quote:

froobly came out of the closet to say:

Too benevolent at least through episode 56.

Man of Wax
May 20, 2003

quote:

froobly came out of the closet to say:
To be fair, there are only 29 episodes to be downloaded so far.

Having seen only 29 episodes, you can get quite a few more, by the way, but they are a lower in quality, I would say he's nowhere near evil enough. He desires dominance, but not the cleansing of the race. Oberstein may have what it takes to be assigned the Hitler mantle, Lohengramm, remember, is still just doing this because of his sister complex. Even when he becomes defacto leader of the republic he still has non-power reasons to take over the galaxy. Namely, Kerchis' dying wish.

froobly
Sep 12, 2003

These are my awards, Mother. From Army. The seal is for marksmanship, and the gorilla is for sand racing!
I personally think that while Oberstein is truly ruthless, it's starting to rub off on Lohengramm, and Lohengramm's starting to just use his dream as an excuse to be a Machiavellian prince. But there's a lot more to see, so I'll shut up for now.

evilsake
Oct 25, 2004

by Fragmaster
I'm only, like, three episodes in (downloaded through eight but haven't had time to see them yet), but so far this macro applies:

Guess I've been spoiled by all the other shows I've been watching that center on girls (School Rumble, Elfen Lied, etc).
Edit: Oh, and look, it's Bush lol

And if I ever become a dictator, I am so getting me one of these:

evilsake fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Dec 21, 2004

OneGreatTurtle
Jan 10, 2002

Cleverly disguised as the greatest librarian ever

quote:

I'm only, like, three episodes in (downloaded through eight but haven't had time to see them yet), but so far this macro applies:
http://img149.exs.cx/img149/6003/nowomen6pg.jpg
Guess I've been spoiled by all other shows I've been watching that center on girls (School Rumble, Elfen Lied, etc).
Lohengramm has a sister, Yang gets a female assistant and a dead mayor.

That's about it.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

quote:

http://img149.exs.cx/img149/6003/nowomen6pg.jpg
Guess I've been spoiled by all other shows I've been watching that center on girls (School Rumble, Elfen Lied, etc).

Not to say it's a bad thing, but seriously.

Man of Wax
May 20, 2003

Stop maliciously posting my macro :mad: (it's also "hidden" in the first post of this thread).

Yes, Legend of Galactic Heroes is full of men. Who cares. In case you hadn't noticed, militaries tend to be male dominated institutions. Other heavy military shows like Gundam et al. and Macross have women in them, but none are so serious as LoGH. They are military lite.

As for the likeness of rhetoric and/or political situations, I'd like to say I'm surprised, but I don't think human nature is terribly variable over time and place. It's not eerily similar, but rather expectently similar.

evilsake
Oct 25, 2004

by Fragmaster

quote:

Man of Wax came out of the closet to say:
Yes, Legend of Galactic Heroes is full of men. Who cares. In case you hadn't noticed, militaries tend to be male dominated institutions. Other heavy military shows like Gundam et al. and Macross have women in them, but none are so serious as LoGH. They are military lite.
Yeah, I know, just felt like pointing it out. The show is still very much excellent. Just got to the part where Yang captures the space fortress. Awesome stuff. To lighten things up, here are some more suggestive screencaps!

:eng101: Totally taking a conversation out of context is fun! Anyway, I'm gonna stop spamming the thread with images now.

evilsake fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Dec 21, 2004

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

I downloaded 33 episodes of this because I trust that Man of Wax has good taste (he complimented me on an Utena sig I had once, that shows class), but I've only had time to watch one episode.

early pruning prevention/hopping on excellent series post

Man of Wax
May 20, 2003

Anyone know what's up with CA? It's been three week since they released an episode.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

quote:

Anyone know what's up with CA? It's been three week since they released an episode.
I was just at their webpage. It says

quote:

Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:55 pm Post subject: Status
And since I'm doing the status of Touch why not LOGH.

Hiro is busily correcting the translations of 31-62. Received 31-32 corrections on Sunday and will be making them. Then we'll capture the video on the PC and add the script, followed by a check pass on the PC. This is why we haven't posted 31+ lately. I have 63-76 timed and edited, with some tweaking still needed.

We have all the scripts for LOGH including Gaiden(the 52 episode pre-series).

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Holy crap, I can't believe I didn't check this series out sooner. LoGH is incredible and amazing and lots of other positive adjectives I could keep adding for paragraphs. Now I just have to wait for the rest of these torrents to finish to see more. Thank you for making this thread exist.

Man of Wax
May 20, 2003

After a nigh interminable 36 day wait: http://a.scarywater.net/ca/Legend%20of%20Galactic%20Heroes%20eps%2031%20-%20Central%20Anime%20%20(62976d91)%20.avi.torrent

edit: vvv Thanks. I never quite figured that out.

Man of Wax fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jan 28, 2005

pyo
Nov 18, 2003

... !
Episode 31 Clicky

Does someone got torrents for episode 25-30?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
What's the difference between the Miscellaneous and Central Anime subs for this?

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

quote:

Cardboard Box A came out of the closet to say:
What's the difference between the Miscellaneous and Central Anime subs for this?
Central anime are the new subbers, and they might be going the distance this time, so you might want to stay with them for continuity.

Man of Wax
May 20, 2003

quote:

Cardboard Box A came out of the closet to say:

Miscellanious are encodes off of the old VHS tapes. Central Anime actually made those tapes back in the day (so not exactly new, I suppose) but it appears they've secured digital version either on LD or DVD and are now transferring their scripts while making a few edits here and there. The result is vastly superior quality and a definite source. Whoever was encoding his VHS collection must have run out of fansubbed episodes.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
Thanks, that helps!

Wasn't Aoi and someone else subbing this at one point? They seem to have dropped off AnimeSuki though so I guess it's not worth bothering with. Still interesting though.

Man of Wax
May 20, 2003

Henrique Martino Borges De Arantes E Olibeira is definitely the best name ever. Those of you interested in political theory hopeflly enjoyed the intellectual battle between Yang Wenli and Aristotle in episode 31.

radtrad
Jul 31, 2004

quote:

Henrique Martino Borges De Arantes E Olibeira is definitely the best name ever. Those of you interested in political theory hopeflly enjoyed the intellectual battle between Yang Wenli and Aristotle in episode 31.

With this quote you've just won this show another viewer. My cable modem hates you now.

Syllogism
Jun 7, 2001

We have listened. We are unmoved. The cleansing will proceed.
Episode 32

pyo
Nov 18, 2003

... !

quote:

Syllogism came out of the closet to say:
Episode 32
You just made my day.
On another note, CA should make file names that are...you know, more to the "standard" without all the spaces.

Man of Wax
May 20, 2003

quote:

Syllogism came out of the closet to say:
Episode 32

Yes, it was awesome as usual. Next episode looks like more space battles as only LoGH can do. With every episode I watch LoGH inches closer and closer to being my favorite anime of all time. There was no Aristotle in this episode, but there was some very, I mean very, loose Adam Smith (the notion of the martial spirit) and, as always with the Free Planets Alliance, Machiavelli. Good to see that CA is back on track. It was getting scary there for a while.

froobly
Sep 12, 2003

According to the Central Anime board, 33 and 34 should be following shortly. I can hardly wait.

Oh yeah, and the entire point of this post is to keep this thread from being pruned.

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma
I'm interested in seeing where this whole Earth-Religion thing is going. On the other hand we have something like fifty more episodes to sort it out...

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I downloaded four episodes of this about a year and half ago, but I never got around to watching it because I was discouraged to get into it because a). that torrent of four episodes took about a week to complete and b). I would want the rest of the series completed, and I think someone told me then that there were like 500 episodes or something crazy like that. But, at least now I know that CA is the sub group of choice...so I guess I can give it another try.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

quote:

Robot Bastard came out of the closet to say:
I'm interested in seeing where this whole Earth-Religion thing is going. On the other hand we have something like fifty more episodes to sort it out...
More like 75

Idioglossia
Feb 1, 2005
This thread has restored my faith in humanity. Back in '94 I collected this series through episodes 34, but my tapes eventually died through age and use.

I would definitely warn against buying the HK bootlegs (which do exist), even though they have a english sub track. The translation is worse than babelfish and they put too many episodes on each disk (so the quality is bad.)

If CA manages to get the whole thing translated and subbed, it will be a happy day for me and all the friends I've gotten hooked on this series.

evilsake
Oct 25, 2004

by Fragmaster
I just got to the episode where Kircheis dies. This series is easily the best thing I've watched in years, and all should see it.

Man of Wax
May 20, 2003

:siren: Episode the 33rd :siren:

Jabu
Feb 11, 2004

There are no heroes left in man
I have this Episode 34 I don't know if you'd be interested.

Stuck at 99.9% with no seeds visible and 0.999 distributed copies :hulk:

abbad0n
Jan 25, 2005

quote:

Jabu came out of the closet to say:
I have this Episode 34 I don't know if you'd be interested.

Stuck at 99.9% with no seeds visible and 0.999 distributed copies :hulk:

Prolly superceding :banjo:

Jabu
Feb 11, 2004

There are no heroes left in man

quote:

abbad0n came out of the closet to say:
Prolly superceding :banjo:
His algorithm's broken, then, because this last drat part still hasn't been distributed. Is there some sort of new program that allows you to seed all but one part so you can keep people on your torrent longer? Because I'm not entirely sure whether that is the best or the worst idea yet.

There's like a hundred people with 99.9% complete now. I want to watch this drat episode already :(

EDIT: oh hello there, the episode seems to work as intended.

Jabu fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Mar 1, 2005

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma
The link was there...BUT NOT ANY MORE!!

abbad0n
Jan 25, 2005
Latest information can be found at:

http://www.centralanime.net/bboard/viewtopic.php?t=75

Basically they know there is a problem and should have it fixed in a couple of hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pyo
Nov 18, 2003

... !
Redownload episode 34 here!

pyo fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Mar 2, 2005