Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

I'm getting several pops and clicks during the episode. Is anyone else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Also, would anyone happen to know what's the song at the end of episode 71? When the narrator says the battle is more difficult than the Empire expected? Cause it's the same song from when Geiersburg first fired on Iserlohn and I think the song's awesome.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 06:52 on May 10, 2006

Zap Branigan
Oct 13, 2005
Just finished the first 4 episodes. its a bit hard to keep track of all the charecters but i am vastly entertained by this. I cant wait for the next 4 to finish. The space battles are awesome too...
I think i am going to really enjoy this series.
Edit: the next 4 are going reallllly slow im getting only .4k/sec here is something wrong?

Zap Branigan fucked around with this message at 05:13 on May 12, 2006

froobly
Sep 12, 2003

These are my awards, Mother. From Army. The seal is for marksmanship, and the gorilla is for sand racing!

Zap Branigan posted:

Just finished the first 4 episodes. its a bit hard to keep track of all the charecters but i am vastly entertained by this.

This is both one of the show's greatest strengths and greatest weaknesses. The cast is enormous, but there are few, if any throwaway characters. Especially at the beginning, every single character you meet is going to play a pivotal role in the series. You'll get to know these people, and you'll get confused as gently caress when someone whose name you can't remember for the life of you ends up saving the day.

I'll just say, as far as the minor characters in the beginning, keep your eye on Bucock and Merkatz. They're both pretty peripheral in the beginning, but they kick more rear end than a person ought to be allowed.

Man of Wax
May 20, 2003

I find that, despite the enormity of the cast, I never have any trouble remembering who is who, except maybe the tertiary imperial admirals who really only exist to sit around a large table and take orders. Just another point in the show's favor.

Don't hold your breath on space battles though. There aren't actually that many of them, but when they happen they induce potentially harmful levels of excitement and glee.

vvv The one to be congratulated is you sir, for having excellent taste.

Man of Wax fucked around with this message at 23:03 on May 13, 2006

Zap Branigan
Oct 13, 2005
Just finished episode 8. the Rosen-Ritter is badass as hell. There seems to be a lot less action, but I am suprisingly still drawn in, I enjoy watching the charecters scheme and plot against each other... Congradulations Man of Wax, you have officially captivated me with this show!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Zap Branigan posted:

Just finished the first 4 episodes. its a bit hard to keep track of all the charecters but i am vastly entertained by this.
They took care of this pretty well by always showing the main characters' names when introduced during the episodes.

Zap Branigan posted:

Just finished episode 8. the Rosen-Ritter is badass as hell.
You ain't seen nothing yet!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Zap Branigan posted:

Just finished episode 8. the Rosen-Ritter is badass as hell. There seems to be a lot less action, but I am suprisingly still drawn in, I enjoy watching the charecters scheme and plot against each other... Congradulations Man of Wax, you have officially captivated me with this show!
There will be several battles in the series where the scale is beyond anything that the Star Wars universe could have conceived of.

But here's the thing that really amazed me the most about the show... there will be an enormous battle, and one side will win, and as they celebrate their victory I sigh in relief. And then ten seconds later, they will show me the side that lost, and how one of the admirals mourns the loss of his fellow admiral, and I am nearly brought to tears as I hear him vow revenge for his dead friend.

Who does the "heroes" in the title refer to, the soldiers of the Empire or the Alliance? It refers to both. Both the Alliance and the Empire have their heroes and villains, and it's hard to take sides because they are all people you care about.

There will be people you hate, and then 50 episodes later, they will reveal a side of their character that you didn't know about. And then even if you still don't like them, you will respect them.

There will be times when good people will do some pretty horrible things. And it will remind you a lot of yourself.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 09:24 on May 14, 2006

SeedyV
Nov 10, 2005

Water Triiiiibe
Episode 72 has been released by C-A.

http://a.scarywater.net/ca/logh%20eps%2072%20-%20Central%20Anime%20(76cb69d0)%20.avi.torrent

I just started watching this series this past week. This show is absolutely incredible, instant classic for me.

Baby Lion King IMAX
May 3, 2006

by Lowtax
Hey, it's Man of Wax. Hahaha, oh wow.

Anyways, this was never broadcast stateside, was it? It looks pretty familiar to me.

Man of Wax
May 20, 2003

Sexy

Babylonian posted:

Hey, it's Man of Wax. Hahaha, oh wow.
Do I know you?

Zap Branigan
Oct 13, 2005
They killed off my favorite charecter! :mad: I predict Lohengramm is gouing to go the way of a tyrant now that he has crushed the nobles and whatnot. but seriously whyd they have to die!

EDIT: Run! Run from the Rosen-Ritter! Battle of two fortresses is awesome.

Zap Branigan fucked around with this message at 11:34 on May 18, 2006

Zap Branigan
Oct 13, 2005
Reunthal and Mittermeyer do indeed kick a lot more rear end then should be legally allowed. Also I am very suprised at how deep this show can egt at times, Yangs philosophical musings are very compelling, especially on whether the alliance will become the evil it has fought for so long, whereas the "Empire" will become the progressive reformist government? I love it.

Grey Area
Sep 9, 2000
Battle Without Honor or Humanity
Pouring a forty for the old Admiral.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Zap Branigan posted:

EDIT: Run! Run from the Rosen-Ritter! Battle of two fortresses is awesome.
Battle of two fortresses? You watched 25 episodes in 3 days?

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 10:07 on May 19, 2006

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Steve Yun posted:

Battle of two fortresses? You watched 25 episodes in 3 days?
With a show like this, I'd do it too!

Zap Branigan
Oct 13, 2005
drat right i have. This show has got me completely drawn in, hook line and sinker.

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma

Babylonian posted:

Anyways, this was never broadcast stateside, was it? It looks pretty familiar to me.
I can't see this ever having been broadcast. It hasn't even been translated, for one thing.

You might be mis-remembering "Star Blazers" or "Robotech" (some of the episodes in the back half of "Robotech" have a giant spaceship fight that comes out of nowhere and goes right back there.)

Or you might just have seen this before..."LoGH" and Central Anime have both been around since forever. (Although it's kind of ironic that of all the early-nineties fansubber groups, CA is the one that survived, given that they were the butt of many a grammar joke.)

edit: I could be thinking of Arctic, yeah...I hardly even remember those days myself. For me, anything that happened before college might as well have happened to a completely different person...

Robot Bastard fucked around with this message at 13:47 on May 20, 2006

froobly
Sep 12, 2003

These are my awards, Mother. From Army. The seal is for marksmanship, and the gorilla is for sand racing!

Robot Bastard posted:

Or you might just have seen this before..."LoGH" and Central Anime have both been around since forever. (Although it's kind of ironic that of all the early-nineties fansubber groups, CA is the one that survived, given that they were the butt of many a grammar joke.)

You sure you're not thinking of Arctic Animation? Their subs were comically bad, but I thought CA was always solid. The only thing CA had problems with was that whole drama between them and Tomodachi Anime. Apparently, CA was unsatisfied with Tomodachi's progress, and resubbed it... using THEIR scripts as a base. Oops. Karen Duffy, from Tomodachi, wrote a really melodramatic response to the whole thing, threatening to leave fansubbing altogether.

Good times :sigh:

Zap Branigan
Oct 13, 2005
All caught up now, how often do they post new episodes?

TomatoActivator
Jun 11, 2003
Cheesy Bread

Zap Branigan posted:

All caught up now, how often do they post new episodes?

not often enough.

Grey Area
Sep 9, 2000
Battle Without Honor or Humanity

froobly posted:

Apparently, CA was unsatisfied with Tomodachi's progress, and resubbed it... using THEIR scripts as a base. Oops. Karen Duffy, from Tomodachi, wrote a really melodramatic response to the whole thing, threatening to leave fansubbing altogether.
Fansubbers getting upset about copyrights is always hilarious :downs:

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

More people should seed episode 41-44 :mad:

PS: this show kicks rear end! I love even the terribly corny parts.

Zap Branigan
Oct 13, 2005

Grey Area posted:

A toast is indeed in order for the old man. I was on the edge of my seat that entire battle. Also. I want a loving Rosen-Ritter Patch. I have to have it.

Man of Wax
May 20, 2003

Grey Area posted:

Amen to that. Bucock was the man and Chun Woo Chan wasn't bad either. It took Yang seventy episodes to get competent allies and now they're all dead :( Time to crush some skulls.

Also, several pages ago people who had seen the whole show or were watching the bootlegs were all having orgasms over episode 82. We are now only ten episodes away. Go central-anime, bring us the goods!

Zap Branigan posted:

I want a loving Rosen-Ritter Patch. I have to have it.

I'm not sure about a patch, but you might be able to use an image like this and make a T-shirt. I might make an avatar of that if it's still readable when shrunken down. LoGH avatars would be a good idea.

Man of Wax fucked around with this message at 04:47 on May 24, 2006

evilsake
Oct 25, 2004

by Fragmaster
I was afraid they were just going to do the classis masse suicide charge for glory, but no, they really mauled the poo poo out of Lohengramm's boys.

Man of Wax posted:

I'm not sure about a patch, but you might be able to use an image like this and make a T-shirt. I might make an avatar of that if it's still readable when shrunken down. LoGH avatars would be a good idea.

Do you mind if I request a vector of that in the wallpaper thread? I think it'd make a great background.

Man of Wax
May 20, 2003

sakesniper posted:

Do you mind if I request a vector of that in the wallpaper thread? I think it'd make a great background.

I don't own it or anything so you don't need my permission. Sounds like a good idea.

evilsake
Oct 25, 2004

by Fragmaster

Man of Wax posted:

I don't own it or anything so you don't need my permission. Sounds like a good idea.

Oh, I know you don't own it, I just wanted to make sure not to interfere with any plans to make the same request.

Zap Branigan
Oct 13, 2005
Wheres our new episode damnit. Im going into withdrawals!

SeedyV
Nov 10, 2005

Water Triiiiibe
I've caught up with the latest CA has to offer at last. The manner in which this series forms such bonds between myself and the characters portrayed is nothing short of amazing. It sounds pretty silly now but I threw out my own salute during Episode 72. What a hell of a way for Bucock to go.

I must make this note about 71: Chopin's Revolutionary Etude followed by Movement I of Dvorák's New World Symphony? Talk about an aural orgasm...

After polishing off Eureka 7 and getting into the heart of this series, the past month has included some of the most incredible material I've ever had the privilege of seeing, and I can't see it ever being topped.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I've finally watched up to episode 72, and can participate in the thread now. I have to jump on the Man of Wax :bandwagon: thanking him for introducing me to this awesome series. This series had me at the first episode, when Yang uses defeat in detail to get out of a bad situation, and has been just getting more awesome ever since. (That was also the first "drat, haven't seen that in a space epic before" moment I had, which, as people who've been watching it can tell you, happens a lot in this series.) The space battles are the best I've seen, but even without them the series would be fantastic; it talks about philosophy, politics, and history on an intelligence level above any other TV show I've ever seen.

Some random moments in the series that I got an enormous kick out of:

When Donald Rumsfeld shows up. In this series there's a lot of painfully relevant talk of the War on Terror, (so much so that if it was aired on TV now conservative pundits would condemn it as more LIEbrial propaganda) but that Free Planets alliance Commodore, Andrew Fork in ep 12 just takes the cake. "It is our solemn duty to spread FREEDOM and DEMOCRACY through the galaxy, so we will begin a crusade of FREEDOM against the empire. The instant we do this, the empire Planets will turn against their former masters and we will be greeted a liberators!" And When Yang points out that supply lines will be badly overstretched: Fork responds "Why do you accent the negative? That's only speculation!" And When Yang points out that any competent opposing general would just flank the Armada and cut those overstretched supply lines, Fork responds "Any negative talk against the plan aids the enemy! Are you some sort of traitor?!" This guy is not like Rumsfeld, he IS Rumsfeld, 15 years before. The acts of man, no matter what the age remain the same, indeed.

When Yang Proposes to Lt. Greenhill. He's hyper nervous, and is trying to find the right way to address her...and she just keeps saying "yes?"

"Lieteniant..."
"Yes?"

"Ah...I mean, Lieteniant Commander..."
"Yes?"

"Miss Greenhill..."
"Yes?"

(Yang thinks for a moment...)

"Fredrica."
(suprised)"Yes?"

Best dialoge I've seen in awhile.

Also, the Kaiser smashing wine glasses always gets a laugh out of me. Most of the other character enjoy a good bottle of wine, but I think the only time we see a glass in Reinhardt's hand is 2 seconds before he dashes it into the ground. Speaking of Reinhardt, does anyone else here think that Griffith in Berserk is inspired by him? They are similar in appearance, and they are similar in ambition and ability. Reinhardt comes accross as much more decent however; more human, essentially, even though he is literally King of the Galaxy.

Man of Wax posted:

Episode 54 was brought to you by: Friedrich Nietzsche as read by Leo Strauss. A line like "Democracy subsumes the power and spirit of the self" is about as Straussian interpretation of Nietzsche as I can think of.

Forget Strauss; that's pure Nietzsche, baby. :cool:

Man of Wax
May 20, 2003

Nebakenezzer posted:

Speaking of Reinhardt, does anyone else here think that Griffith in Berserk is inspired by him? They are similar in appearance, and they are similar in ambition and ability. Reinhardt comes accross as much more decent however; more human, essentially, even though he is literally King of the Galaxy.

I think there are definitely affinities between the characters, but that is the result more than anything of them fitting into an archetype that predates each of their respective series. From a superficial level, the pretty, conniving badass has been around forever in literature and was picked up early on in anime. The particular brand of nefarious ambition that characterizes each is also as old as the hills--basically the Napolean story without the height issue (although Freud would have a field day with Rheinhard's drunk father and sister-complex).

quote:

Forget Strauss; that's pure Nietzsche, baby. :cool:

I've always (and by always I mean since a coupel years ago when I first read him) felt Nietzsche is more compatible with democracy than most give him credit for. I don't mean to suggest that he's a proponent, certainly not, but the anti-democratic element of his works is played up substantially by those who feel they would benefit from it. Granted, it's a somewhat selective reading, but Nietzsche's thought evolved over the years and even within a given work (Thus Spoke Zarathustra probably being the finest example) so it's easy to find justification for seemingly contradictory points of view. But hey, this isn't D&D or anything.

In any case, welcome aboard the LoGH train. If only more people stopped into this thread and realized how much of a circle jerk (not a bad thing) it has become there might end being even more fans.

Zap Branigan
Oct 13, 2005

Man of Wax posted:

philosophical musings about democracy
I think the philosophical musings of the charecters during the "down moments" of this show is one of the main things that makes this show great. I have never seen an anime where the dialogue has had so much thought put into it, and indeed it readily shows.

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma

SeedyV posted:

I've caught up with the latest CA has to offer at last. The manner in which this series forms such bonds between myself and the characters portrayed is nothing short of amazing. It sounds pretty silly now but I threw out my own salute during Episode 72. What a hell of a way for Bucock to go.
I was kind of happy...well, you know what I mean...anyway, I was glad that if Bucock had to go, at least he got a heroic death in an exploding space battleship, rather than "oh woe is me my honor is besmirched I must shoot myself in the head to make amends". He died on his feet with his teeth in the enemy's throat, and there's really nothing more that a soldier can ask for.

As for the "democracy musings": It would be really interesting to see the funding structure that produced this show. Did they actually say "you will make X number of episodes", or did they just let production run until everyone was satisfied? It's clearly a great benefit for the show that it's so drawn-out; I get the idea that if this had been made today, it would be a 26-episode TV series, with each episode being 18 minute of CRAZY SPACE BATTLE and four minutes of "we must defend Democracy/The Empire/The Will Of The People/Our Profit Margin/Love/Peace/Justice!"

Zap Branigan
Oct 13, 2005
After reading the latest in the trace thread I dont think they are going to trace it for us :( I really want a desktop sized rosen ritter. Also, CA is being slow as hell. its only one episode damnit! give me more!
EDIT: Also whats this Yamoto series I see on CA? is it any good?

The Therminador
Mar 31, 2004

Yamato was, and to a certain extent, is, pretty cool. It dates back to the seventies and was the first space-opera anime which every kid growing up in Japan at that time saw, or so I hear.
I believe what they are subbing is the second season. If you have time and don't mind crummy animation, check out the first season, you might enjoy it. I did.

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless

Nebakenezzer posted:

Reinhardt comes accross as much more decent however
Well, sorta, the design obviously and the ambition, but their motivations are completely different. Griffith has this undefined desire to rule the world from his castle or whatever - about all you can tie it to is that he wants to impose order on the world. Reinhard's entire motivation boils down to his sister, and trying to make the world into a place that would never again do what it did to her.

Reinhard also never would have sold Siegfried out, for any reason - even for the universe, I bet. He'd just save Siegfried, and tell him it didn't matter because as long as they're together they'll take over the universe anyway, just a couple years later.

It's a shame it's so incredibly difficult to convince people to watch this show. I've had a lot more luck selling people on watching Crest of the Stars rather than a show about men talking and poorly animated explosions.

Also, as I posted in the old death scene thread, Bucock has the best death scene of all time. It's not just the event itself, it's his whole reason for it - he knows for a fact Lohengramm would be a fair emperor and would treat him well, and his own 'free' nation is corrupt and ruled by liars and cheats, but none of that matters. He's a democracy man and if he can't meet Lohengramm as an equal then he won't meet him. :patriot:

Ticat
Jan 28, 2004
No Dice!

Zap Branigan
Oct 13, 2005
Sieg Kaiser! I raised a glass for the old admiral. "pure water of the mountains"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Ticat posted:

Gracias! Another more political plot episode, but a much needed one. Think about what the Kaiser says at the end, and I think things are about to seriously ramp up.