Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Coldbird posted:

Also, as I posted in the old death scene thread, Bucock has the best death scene of all time. It's not just the event itself, it's his whole reason for it - he knows for a fact Lohengramm would be a fair emperor and would treat him well, and his own 'free' nation is corrupt and ruled by liars and cheats, but none of that matters. He's a democracy man and if he can't meet Lohengramm as an equal then he won't meet him. :patriot:

I would disagree about the best death scene bit but it would require a curious definition of 'best' and full series spoilers.

So instead you'll just have to wonder what I'm talking about unless/until you've watched it all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless
I have, actually. Haven't gotten around to watching all of Gaiden, but I have watched the whole show.

edit: unfortunately most of the second half was awful HK translation, they'd often type out one guy's name when I clearly head in the audio track that they were saying another; I got the gist of events most of the time though :(

Coldbird fucked around with this message at 22:52 on May 30, 2006

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Any chance some goon would hop on to episodes 57-60? I am in dire need to watch LotGH tonight and I dunno if the blazing 10 kbs down is going to hold out. :(

edit nevermind. I just noticed that the torrent download speed is influeced by that torrents upload speed. I stopped every other download and bumped up my upload speed. I should have it soon enough. :)

edit edit!

gently caress, I am going to run out of episodes. Oh hello 4:55am...

Raskolnikov fucked around with this message at 12:52 on May 30, 2006

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Man of Wax posted:

I've always (and by always I mean since a coupel years ago when I first read him) felt Nietzsche is more compatible with democracy than most give him credit for. I don't mean to suggest that he's a proponent, certainly not, but the anti-democratic element of his works is played up substantially by those who feel they would benefit from it. Granted, it's a somewhat selective reading, but Nietzsche's thought evolved over the years and even within a given work (Thus Spoke Zarathustra probably being the finest example) so it's easy to find justification for seemingly contradictory points of view. But hey, this isn't D&D or anything.

I can tell I'm not in DnD because I'm having an intellegent conversation about Nietzsche. :sigh:

Anyway, that 'subsuming' quote reminded me of his ideas on democracy and how anyone not average and equal to everybody else in the democratic group is seen as an intrinsic threat to the democratic group. Nietzsche thought further that this had the effect of making the values of democracy that of conformity and mediocrity, and any idea that was against those values (discipline, strength, Intelligence... essentially individuality) would be slowly and insidiously degraded. (Just as a little back grounder, you can understand why Nietzsche was concerned about this if you see how much he worries not about humanity as a whole, but rather the creation of higher individuals.) You can see that with the way the Alliance treats Yang Wenli; on the one hand when the big bad Empire threatens them, they can't deploy him fast enough, but when there's no imminent threat they grumble and complain that Yang's too powerful or Yang is going to betray them.

You are also completely right to say that Nietzsche is not an anti-democratic zealot some people take him to be. The ascribing of any political viewpoint to Nietzsche will fail in my opinion, since the guy was rigorously anti-political. His was this way because he really hated the politics of his day, and his focus on the individual made him scorn the group actions of politics generally. That, and I think he was very aware that "the cold hunt for truth hunts in no pack."

Anyway...

Reunthal. Dreaming of rape. :ph:

FFSabin
Jul 3, 2004

ぐるぐる
Well is summer time, so I decided to start watching this show. I watched the first 4 eps a long time ago, but was put off when I see the huge torrents and my lack of space on my harddrive..

Now I'm at ep 26 and crying at "Kircheis".

The next batch just doesn't download fast enough!!! This is going right into my top favorite series ever...

Zap Branigan
Oct 13, 2005

FFSabin posted:

Well is summer time, so I decided to start watching this show. I watched the first 4 eps a long time ago, but was put off when I see the huge torrents and my lack of space on my harddrive..

Now I'm at ep 26 and crying at "Kircheis".

The next batch just doesn't download fast enough!!! This is going right into my top favorite series ever...

I feel your pain. I loved that charecter to death. I threw a salute for him.

SeedyV
Nov 10, 2005

Water Triiiiibe
Another page to the history of the galaxy...

CA Episode 74

Post-watching edit:
Schenkopp's "I'm not middle-aged!" got a geniune laugh out of me, even if on reflection it was incredibly telegraphed.

I'm VERY interested in the contents of this report, and what kind of poo poo Odd-Eyes has found himself in...

SeedyV fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jun 8, 2006

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Just finished 73. Wow, I actually got a little emotional. The last episodes will take for-loving ever to come out.

But they will be awesome.

Oh my god I just realised something about Karen... her mother is Rubinski's hottie! I mean just look at that sexy hair!

Raskolnikov fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jun 7, 2006

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I laughed at Julian's panic-filled reaction to the incoming family dramabomb.

Dantes
Sep 3, 2003
It can never be too cold.
CA Episode 75

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Dantes posted:

CA Episode 75

:love:

Do the new episodes come out roughly once a week?

krunaldo
Jul 24, 2005
In case I get banned: Pipiru piru piru pipiriu pi!

Raskolnikov posted:

If we're lucky. The people in CA has lifes outside fansubbing so sometimes it takes much longer :>

SeedyV
Nov 10, 2005

Water Triiiiibe

Raskolnikov posted:

That seems to be the current pace, yes.

Not a lot to talk about with that release, but Oberstein practically calling out Lang for the conniving douchebag he apparently is was all kinds of awesome. I think this was the first Kircheis-flashback without the trademark preceding locket clutch as well...

(There's about a post every couple of days in this thread and I still find a way to be e;f;b'd, figures)

SeedyV fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jun 13, 2006

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Can anyone seed the 49-52 batch? 9 leechers, 0 seeds, 95.4% complete :gonk:

I really need to catch up, though a part of me wants to wait until CA is totally finished.

EDIT: Appears 53-56 needs seeding too, but I just jumped on that so maybe some will show up...I love CA but they need to seed their older torrents more :argh:

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Jun 16, 2006

Man of Wax
May 20, 2003

CA claims to auto-seed any torrent with peers and no seeds. I guess that isn't the case. If you complain in their forum they are guaranteed to respond though.

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma

Man of Wax posted:

CA claims to auto-seed any torrent with peers and no seeds.
I think that's just Scarywater. Personally, I wish that they would fix their "ul/dl" columns...I jumped on a torrent that was showing 0 UL / 24 DL, only to find that it was 12 Seeds and 2 Peers :wtf:

Dantes
Sep 3, 2003
It can never be too cold.
Once more Episode 76

FFSabin
Jul 3, 2004

ぐるぐる
Oh man, I couldn't wait for CA so I watched all of the HK subs.

THIS IS THE BEST SHOW EVER.

I cried multiple times during this show. :cry:

Has anyone here ever read the books?

pyo
Nov 18, 2003

... !
Well, I bought nine volumes of the manga (and some extra volume) and it seems to be a bit different, but still really good. I still need to take time to read it...

I don't know about the books though, I haven't seen anything around.

thegodofchuck
May 13, 2006

You'll be godlike

FFSabin posted:

Oh man, I couldn't wait for CA so I watched all of the HK subs.

THIS IS THE BEST SHOW EVER.

I cried multiple times during this show. :cry:

Has anyone here ever read the books?

I'd been catching up on this show over the past couple of weeks or so, and ended up watching 77-110 Friday and Saturday. Episodes, oh 80-100ish are one huge emotional roller coaster. The stream of deaths, the whole Reuentahl fiasco :argh: That drat Lange! Those drat Earth cultists! :argh: Felix Mittermeyer, so bittersweet.

The series is really bad about foreshadowing things though... "This is the last conversation/drink the folks will have together..." Speaking of which, add Reuentahl's two glasses to the above list, just to add more salt to the emotional wound. Anyhow, by the time the series ended, the foreshadowing hit us over the head every time Reinhard had (yet another) fever... which no one realized how serious it would be...

The main "hmm" moment I had - aside from various psuedoscience moments - was wondering where the heck the Yang fleet (or whatever its name of the moment happened to be) keep getting enough ships to form a viable fleet. If I was more obsessive, I'd go back and do math with the copious fleet numbers they give us :)

In case anyone reading the thread is yet to be convinced by the pages of glowing recommendations, this is a fantastic show, thanks to Man of Wax for starting the ball rolling on this!

As far as the books, I know I saw a message somewhere mentioning some company considering novel translations, but after reading back through this thread and the forum, I couldn't find it. Anyone know what I'm talking about / have any more info? I'd love some LoGH in a language I can read. Now to watch all the Gaiden!

PegasusOh!
Mar 7, 2006

by Fistgrrl
Sorry to bump the thread for a small request, but would anyone be able to seed episodes 49-52? A blazing 2 KB/s isn't going to really help, and I really want to see what happens next. I'm about 93% into the download too.

SeedyV
Nov 10, 2005

Water Triiiiibe
It's time for the eternal wait for there to be more than one seeder!

Episode 77

POST-WATCHING EDIT
I cannot say this with enough emphasis. If you not doing this already, like I should have been doing:

DON'T. WATCH. THE. PREVIEW.

It doesn't blatantly tell what's to come, but drat if they limit the possibilities with a little short comment the instant before Episode 78's title appears and we delve into another page into the galaxy's history and all that poo poo.

SeedyV fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jun 26, 2006

Specineff
Mar 10, 2005

Fun Shoe
It's getting to the point where we all might be better off not watching the previews at all.

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

If you had a choice between watching the previews and having Minovsky particles injected up your rear end, then being raped with a fully functional scale model of the Hyperion built out of broken wineglass shards, choose the rape. Especially for the upcoming episodes.

SeedyV posted:

DON'T. WATCH. THE. PREVIEWS.

SeedyV posted:

SeedyV posted:

SeedyV posted:

SeedyV posted:

AKA Bozo
Aug 3, 2004
I never watch the previews, but you guys really make me want to check it out this time...

EDIT : gently caress :(

SeedyV posted:

DON'T. WATCH. THE. PREVIEW.

AKA Bozo fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jun 27, 2006

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Specineff posted:

It's getting to the point where we all might be better off not watching the previews at all.
I don't think I've ever watched a preview from LOGH. Just makes it more exciting when the new episode comes along!

Admiral Pi
Mar 15, 2006
e's and i's off the starboard bow!
Gah! You all are just making this worse, now I can't stay away!

Must have willpower. In two days I am off to Origins and will forget about it and by the time I am back the next episode will be out. Must... have..... willpower......

Gotta say though, all this focus on the Imperials and ignoring Wenli and Friends is starting to bug me. Here's hoping we get more of the rebel scum in the next few episodes.

SeedyV
Nov 10, 2005

Water Triiiiibe
Goddammit I was afraid emphatically warning would have the opposite effect. Your willpower and patience will be rewarded, I'm certain. (Or rather, your impatience will not be punished...)

Admiral Pi posted:

Gotta say though, all this focus on the Imperials and ignoring Wenli and Friends is starting to bug me. Here's hoping we get more of the rebel scum in the next few episodes.

(Not sure what to spoil here, so to be safe it all goes!)

You're not alone. I have no preference to either side of the galactic coin, but the last few episodes have been very Empire-heavy. I'd much rather see more detailed scenes of how the hell Yang and pals are going to fend off the inevitable onslaught. However I can see how it's important to show how the newly expanded Empire is slowly coming apart at the seams...

I am interested in the next episode since it seems there will be Kateroze/Julian interaction beyond awkward glances! And this took what, 10 episodes?

SeedyV fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jun 27, 2006

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

That's not the bad spoiler preview, thankfully, but that'll come soon so seriously, don't watch the previews.

In fact the preview for 78 is somewhat misleading, look at how the wording in that next to last sentence is incredibly specific.

Man of Wax
May 20, 2003

I never watch the previews for this or any show. As far as I'm concerned, it can only detract from what comes next. Only in the rare cases (such as Kare Kano) when there is something particularly special about a preview do I watch.

I'm a couple of episodes behind, but tomorrow shall be catch-up day.

FFSabin
Jul 3, 2004

ぐるぐる
DON'T WATCH PREVIEW

BECAUSE 78 IS HERE

http://tinyurl.com/fa4xk

The Duran
Jan 24, 2004

Wacky Waving Inflating Arm Flailing Tube Man!!!
That was an incredibly fast translation from 77 to 78. Hoping this continues, also thanks on the warning to not read the previews... you guys made it sound very bad.

SeedyV
Nov 10, 2005

Water Triiiiibe
I lost count on the number of takes I took upon seeing the Episode 78 torrent on one of my RSS feeds at four...

Great episode, as I said in my previous reply this is the kind of stuff I was wanting this whole time, and as usual this show delivered.

And I can happily say I did not watch the preview.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I'm glad we checked in with the alliance people this episode. I know that they’ve been laying those plans which will be eventually revealed to us and not much else, but I love the character interaction the Alliance cast has going on.

This may sound silly, but watching episode 77, I coulden't help but think "Poor Oberstien. Nobody likes him." :(

Oh, and did anybody notice this?

El Facil is sending Yang reports on Dinosaurs and people marrying GTOs?

What

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jun 28, 2006

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Nebakenezzer posted:

El Facil is sending Yang reports on Dinosaurs and people marrying GTOs?
I think one of the animators was dreaming about cars again...

pyo
Nov 18, 2003

... !

Chris Knight posted:

I think one of the animators was dreaming about cars again...

Again?
You make it sound so romantic. :love:

The Duran
Jan 24, 2004

Here is 79

http://tinyurl.com/zk7df

Sweet space battle goodness.

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

Episode 80

The Duran
Jan 24, 2004

This is getting loving epic.

Unfortantly, it seems like they are doing a mass execution of characters now, with 2 important admirals dying in the last 2 episodes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thegodofchuck
May 13, 2006

You'll be godlike
I thought we were getting close to the time, and I just double checked the HK subs to make sure. It's time for an advance warning; like has been said before (and before and before), you should not watch the previews, but when it hits, do not watch the preview at the end of 81.

I repeat, do not watch the preview at the end of episode 81 when it arrives.