Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005

LordEvilElmo posted:

I remember hearing a new version was coming out. It was supposedly around November time this year. Here's hoping.

It'll likely be a 2-disc edition, too. There's a fantastic 90-min documentary "Shadowing the Third Man" that aired on Turner Classic Movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Mferkinwalter posted:

Anyone get the Pandora's Box DVD yet? Any thoughts? I'm asking for it for the holidays, and I really want to hear what it's like.

What do you want to know? I just got it and watched it last night. I thought the movie was great, it had some surprisingly complex characters and interesting story. I've only seen a handful of silent films but to me this one is by far the best.

As far as DVD is concerned the video looks nice, although it certainly shows its age with scratches it doesn't detract from the film. The 4 audio tracks seem to be pretty different in tone. I watched it with the orchestra track and it sounds very nice. I only listened to a couple of minutes of the others so all I can say is they seem more different than I expected. The cabaret one doesn't feel right, but that may just be because I had just watched with a different score. The piano one seems more appropriate but still different. The second orchestra track I couldn't get a feel for in a couple of minutes.

The packaging looks nice, it's a slipaces with a digipack an elegant 90 page booklet. I haven't looked at any of the extras so I can't comment on those.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

What do you want to know?

Oh, this is fine. I just want to whet my apetite a bit. Just how much Lulu is in the bonus materials would be nice to know, too. The region zero version I have has the 'Looking for Lulu' documentary on it. Anything that good on the Criterion?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Review of Pandora's Box from DVDFile. "Looking for Lulu" is on it.

and the DVDBeaver review

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
Criterion Newsletter hints at five Ingmar Bergman films coming next year... pre-The Seventh Seal. Also, there's a nifty contest. :)

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Og Oggilby posted:

Criterion Newsletter hints at five Ingmar Bergman films coming next year... pre-The Seventh Seal. Also, there's a nifty contest. :)

Goddamnit, why haven't I been getting my newsletter?

Five early Bergmans, huh? Here's what I'd guess:

Sawdust and Tinsel
Summer with Monika
Summer Interlude
To Joy

5th one is a wild card... it'd be nice if it was one of the ones I haven't seen yet though.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

FitFortDanga posted:

Review of Pandora's Box from DVDFile. "Looking for Lulu" is on it.

and the DVDBeaver review

*drool* Muchos gracias, much appreciated!

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

FitFortDanga posted:

Goddamnit, why haven't I been getting my newsletter?

Five early Bergmans, huh? Here's what I'd guess:

Sawdust and Tinsel
Summer with Monika
Summer Interlude
To Joy

5th one is a wild card... it'd be nice if it was one of the ones I haven't seen yet though.

Those were my first guesses as well. R2 somewhat recently got dvds of Prison and Music in Darkness though, so that may be some indicator.

I am SO excited for this. For Christmas I'm getting Ingmar Bergman: A Reference Guide by Birgitta Steene, I'm really looking forward to checking that out.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

http://www.criterionco.com/decblast/decblast.html

quote:

This year at Criterion, we’ve had a lot of great releases, and we’re already looking forward to what 2007 will bring. There are many treasures in store for the new year, including some of our latest acquisitions, such as John Huston’s Under the Volcano, and titles from our laserdisc days, like Robinson Crusoe on Mars.

vertov
Jun 14, 2003

hello
I've seen all but the last ten minutes of Robinson Crusoe on Mars. It's actually pretty good, and the title does describe it pretty well. It would be cool if they released it in a rocketship film box-set with Ikarie XB 1 and Queen of Blood. I think the R1 release of Planet of the Vampires is out of print as well, so that would also fit if they could get the rights. I doubt they would ever do that, but it would be cool if they did.

vertov
Jun 14, 2003

hello
There's a new blog entry that gives some information on the new Eclipse imprint.

http://www.criterionco.com/blog/index.html

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

vertov posted:

There's a new blog entry that gives some information on the new Eclipse imprint.

http://www.criterionco.com/blog/index.html

Hmm, mixed feelings. I like the general concept, the low price, and of course I'm super-jazzed for more Bergman. No supplements and no full restorations, though... that's a bummer.

Overall, I'm pretty happy about it, and looking forward to new discoveries.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005

FitFortDanga posted:

Hmm, mixed feelings. I like the general concept, the low price, and of course I'm super-jazzed for more Bergman. No supplements and no full restorations, though... that's a bummer.

Overall, I'm pretty happy about it, and looking forward to new discoveries.

Still, there's so many films that people would be more than gracious to own movie-only editions, let alone full Criterions. This way, maybe an entire budget can go to just a no-frills HD transfer and the film rights. I'd imagine this would be a quick way to afford grabbing films from major studios.

Also, I can imagine this would be a good way to get out some of the British Hitchcock films and the remaining three Jacques Tati features (Jour de Fete, Trafic, and Parade).

Og Oggilby fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Dec 15, 2006

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I'm definitely happy about this. I'm not a big special features guy, and even though they won't be "full Criterion restorations," Criterion isn't the type of company to release even a poor transfer. They'll probably be very good compared to everything else. Plus it'll save me some money.

Also: Under the Volcano has interested me for a while, so that's good to hear.

Criminal Minded fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Dec 15, 2006

Os Furoris
Aug 19, 2002

Is it just me or is their a severe lack of Latin American and African films in the Collection? Latin America in particular has some classics that have never been released on DVD, yet Criterion keeps pumping out European, American, and Japanese stuff by the same predictable directors. I realize my pet interests have nothing to do with their buisness model but drat, they're really letting me down on some great stuff that has no US release.

Os Furoris fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Dec 15, 2006

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Os Furoris posted:

Is it just me or is their a severe lack of Latin American and African films in the Collection? Latin America in particular has some classics that have never been released on DVD, yet Criterion keeps pumping out European, American, and Japanese stuff by the same predictable directors. I realize my pet interests have nothing to do with their buisness model but drat, they're really letting me down on some great stuff that has no US release.

No, you're absolutely right. They could definitely branch out more. I'm kind of hoping the Eclipse line will grow to more than 3-5 titles a month and start to fill in the gaps where Criterion is lacking. We really need more R1 companies devoted to restoring/releasing this kind of stuff.

Out of curiosity, I counted the Criterion catalog by country of origin:

USA - 91 (24%)
France - 85 (23%)
UK - 51 (14%)
Japan - 42 (11%)
Italy - 30 (8%)
Sweden - 22 (6%)
Germany - 12 (3%)

With the rest filled out by mostly European countries. 1 from Iran, 1 from Jamaica, 2 from Mexico.

Exree
Oct 7, 2000

FitFortDanga posted:

No, you're absolutely right. They could definitely branch out more. I'm kind of hoping the Eclipse line will grow to more than 3-5 titles a month and start to fill in the gaps where Criterion is lacking.

What is Eclipse? Is it a Criterion competitor?

I also am a bit broken up about the lack of Iranian and African stuff.

Side note: Does anyone want to trade the KICKING AND SCREAMING Criterion DVD for CLEAN, SHAVEN straight up? I bought K&S blind, watched it once, want nothing more to do with it. It's in pristine condition.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Exree posted:

What is Eclipse? Is it a Criterion competitor?

Read the link that vertov posted.

Exree
Oct 7, 2000

FitFortDanga posted:

Read the link that vertov posted.

...and I am a douchebag. Thanks. Honestly I am looking forward to this. I hope they can get Husbands and Love Streams out there.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

March is FitFortMotherfuckingDanga month at Criterion, according to HTF:

quote:

March 13, 2007
Fires On The Plain (Kon Ichikawa)

The Burmese Harp (Kon Ichikawa)

March 20, 2007:
The Naked City (Jules Dassin)

Eclipse:

March 27, 2007
Early Bergman: Eclipse Series 1

5-Disc set includes: Torment, Crisis, Port Of Call, Thirst and To Joy

I think my ballsack just exploded. Two AWESOME Ichikawas (please please please do An Actor's Revenge soon, though!). An American film noir by the director of Rififi. To Joy, one of my favorite early Bergmans... and FOUR Bergmans I've never seen before!

vertov
Jun 14, 2003

hello

Os Furoris posted:

Robert Stam has been pushing them to release some Brazilian films. I don't know if they have anything specific planned, but he's worked with them in the past, so maybe he can twist their arm on it.

I think the reason why they've settled into the standard names is because the DVD market has stagnated a bit and they're still sitting on the fence about HiDef formats. It's actually kind of strange that they're using Eclipse to saturate the market even more, because in the past they've claimed that there were fears that the DVD market could barely sustain their own release schedule as far as "art cinema" goes.

2006 did bring their first Spanish and Mandarin language releases on DVD though, so there's some hope for the future. Personally I want to see a lot more Chinese cinema from them.

vertov fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Dec 18, 2006

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Here we go, specs and covers:

#378 - Fires on the Plain

* New, restored high-definition digital transfer
* New video introduction by Japanese film scholar Donald Richie
* New video interviews with director Kon Ichikawa and actor Mickey Curtis
* Original theatrical trailer
* New and improved English subtitle translation
* PLUS: A new essay by film critic Chuck Stephens

#379 - The Burmese Harp

* New video interviews with director Kon Ichikawa and actor Rentaro Mikuni
* Original theatrical trailer
* New and improved English subtitle translation
* PLUS: A new essay by renowned critic and historian Tony Rayns

#380 - The Naked City

* Audio commentary by screenwriter Malvin Wald
* An analysis of the film�s New York locations by Celluloid Skyline author James Sanders
* A new video interview with NYU film professor Dana Polan
* Footage of Jules Dassin from his 2003 appearance at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art
* Theatrical trailer
* Stills gallery
* PLUS: A new essay by Luc Sante

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Dec 18, 2006

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Fires on the Plain looks like something I'd like...but HELL YES MOTHERFUCKING The Naked City.

Os Furoris
Aug 19, 2002

vertov posted:

Robert Stam has been pushing them to release some Brazilian films. I don't know if they have anything specific planned, but he's worked with them in the past, so maybe he can twist their arm on it.

I think the reason why they've settled into the standard names is because the DVD market has stagnated a bit and they're still sitting on the fence about HiDef formats. It's actually kind of strange that they're using Eclipse to saturate the market even more, because in the past they've claimed that there were fears that the DVD market could barely sustain their own release schedule as far as "art cinema" goes.

2006 did bring their first Spanish and Mandarin language releases on DVD though, so there's some hope for the future. Personally I want to see a lot more Chinese cinema from them.

If they're pushing for some Brazilian stuff my guess would be Glauber Rocha. His works are immense and extremely important, at least in my mind, to understanding film in the third world. Besides Deus e o Diablo na Terra do Sol(which has a pretty lovely region 1 release) none of his other stuff is on DVD here.

Other possibilities are some of Salles' early work or the Tropicalists' films.

A box set of The Battle of Chile, would also be kickin'.

I guess I can wait for the format shift, but since these films are exceedingly rare in the US, and in Latin America as well, buyers might be greatful to have them in any format.

Edit:

My girlfriend just told me that she had drinks with Robert Stam while he was in Brazil and he asked her to send her thesis to him. Apparently he spent the entire night talking about ovens of all things with another professor in the bar. Of all the things he could talk about....

Os Furoris fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Dec 18, 2006

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I don't like to bitch about cover art that much, but I'm really hating that "C" logo. It's so intrusive.

Exree
Oct 7, 2000

FitFortDanga posted:

I don't like to bitch about cover art that much, but I'm really hating that "C" logo. It's so intrusive.

Word, but hey, if branding helps 'em, they can have all the help in the world as far as I'm concerned. So hard for me to believe that Criterion could push into the general consciousness but hey. Mo' money, mo' releases.

MP*DeafRei
Jul 22, 2001

Doctor of Nachology
Hooray time to sell my old The Naked City dvd! Hope they get to do some more Dassin Criterion's, I'd really like a nicer looking Brute Force.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
It's looking like the Janus Essential Art Cinema book has some new remasters. DVDBeaver has a comparison for The Lady Vanishes... while it loses the commentary, all the edge enhancement is gone and it looks fantastic!

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
My Dinner with Andre

quote:

NOTE: This is often regarded by DVD-ophiles as the worst commercial transfer ever put to digital. Unfortunately, it is also the only release on DVD of this film and it continues to fetch prices above $100 in online auctions.

Matt Lipson from Criterion has confirmed that they own the rights and are planning to release it in the near future.

Pardon me while I do backflips in my living room. :dance: I've wanted to see this one forever.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

http://www.image-entertainment.com/dvd/detail.cfm?productID=63132

The pre-order price on this at Amazon is $48.99. That's less than $10 a movie!

Criminal Minded posted:

My Dinner with Andre

Pardon me while I do backflips in my living room. :dance: I've wanted to see this one forever.

They seem to show it on cable quite frequently, FYI. I forget which channel, maybe Flix. Anyway, how old is that review? I haven't heard anything about a Criterion Andre lately, but since they already did a Malle box, it's certainly not out of the question.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Click

Criterion's one-sheet for the Bergman box. It's got the individual covers on there. I really like the simple design and I hope they keep it consistent for the whole Eclipse line.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

FitFortDanga posted:

Click

Criterion's one-sheet for the Bergman box. It's got the individual covers on there. I really like the simple design and I hope they keep it consistent for the whole Eclipse line.

Is anyone else wondering if Criterion maybe had in mind with their logo switch something that would look similar for both of their product lines?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Mike_V posted:

Is anyone else wondering if Criterion maybe had in mind with their logo switch something that would look similar for both of their product lines?

I'm pretty sure they've confirmed that this was, in fact, part of their reasoning.

Edit: Here's a quote from the blog on Nov 21

quote:

The new logo:
Some people like it, others don’t. Again, it was a very long debate in the office. We felt that we needed to make the change for several reasons, and here are a few. Many of the studios had adopted the top space on the box, and it was no longer unique to Criterion. The justified right bar was very hard to see in a small jpeg image online, and more and more people are shopping for DVDs that way. We wanted a mark that could easily integrate with our upcoming spring launch of the Eclipse line. The more time I spend with it and see some of the wonderful designs that incorporate the “C,” the more I like it. For the very few of you who have written that you’ll never buy another Criterion disc with the new logo, I think you’re missing some great movies.

Peaceful Anarchy fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Dec 23, 2006

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

quote:

For the very few of you who have written that you’ll never buy another Criterion disc with the new logo

Goddamn, people can be stupid dicks. WAAH THE LOGO CHANGED, CRITERION IS loving US AGAIN!!

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005

Cacator posted:

Goddamn, people can be stupid dicks. WAAH THE LOGO CHANGED, CRITERION IS loving US AGAIN!!

This is why I don't spend as much time as I used to on home theater forums as I used to. People will complain about the most trivial things and half don't have a shred of an idea of the technology. Between that, "IS ____ EVER GOING TO BE ON DVD", and stupid "STUDIO A MESSED THIS UP ON PURPOSE" threads, we ought to do a few weekend webs for DVD forums.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

FitFortDanga posted:

Same here. The strip is one thing, but that "C" is bad.

Overall a small complaint for such awesome product.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

FitFortDanga posted:

Click

drat, those do look super good, they feel classy in a way. I'm so excited.

I just ordered Jules and Jim yesterday, I hope it's as good as it looks; I loved The 400 Blows and really enjoyed Shoot the Piano Player.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

I actually sent in an application to Criterion yesterday as for an audio restoration position. Doubt I'll get it, but who knows.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.

ScooterMcTiny posted:

I actually sent in an application to Criterion yesterday as for an audio restoration position. Doubt I'll get it, but who knows.

Good luck. If you do make it I hope you get to work on some of your favorite films.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
April Releases

Brute Force, hell yeah. :dance: