Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Hokuto posted:

Wow, where was this? And was this in raw Japanese, or subtitled, or dubbed into another language?

Here, in Turkey. Actually it is aired by two national televisions along with Legend of Windaria, Venus Wars. It was dubbed but the voice actors are one of the best and experienced ones that you can find at 95. Most of them have theather or movie backgrounds so it didnt feel any strange from original language. They even subbed the ship\planet\commander names appear on screen. And you might ask why 2 non cable national TV's do that kind of stuff? Show their respects to art of anime? Nope of course, back then they have to fill their programs with long, unexpensive stuff because the channels are run by chipmunks and kitchen robots and they decide to air many anime shows instead of real stuff. This time of "awesomeness" continued until both channels discover the magic of "daytime talk shows" and it is over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
That's really awesome stuff, very interesting to know.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Hokuto posted:

That's really awesome stuff, very interesting to know.

It gets better. Let me tell the whole story as i much as i remember since i was only 14 year old hormone driven kid in those times. Here goes:

Living in a country having a name of bird that people cook in christmas sure rocks! So does living in Turkey (Türkiye)! Everything started as first free enterprise television entered the scene at 1990. Before that we only have four (in number: 4) televisions which all are government televisions. When private channels first appear it was awesome, i mean awesome! Since there is practically no channel filming companies or links with US\Europe dealers these channels go to East and collect everything they can air without paying too much. Obscure French movies about people having sex with opossums, three hour fistfighting for no appearent reason type kung fu movies even erotic hong kong kung fu movies and anime's...lots of animes!

First thing i remember is when second private channel announced Robotech\Macross series as "fantastic adventure through space" and airing it on Sunday mornings along with Miyazaki's Heidi. The first channel, which is already spamming "flying naked chinese chicks punching mustached weirdos into hot steamy kung fu" movies stepped in and start to air OVA's like Legend of Windaria and Venus Wars, Space Warrior Baldios. The government tv responded this with Spaceship Yamato and airing the lame rear end 30 piece new Voltron. Just before second tv adds Space Adventure Cobra to the sunday morning anime fest another tv rushes in with Laserion (another great anime). Of course as a child there is nothing better to watch giant hulking robots shooting each other so we actually sit by the television all saturday and sunday mornings. And i remind you that we actually watch naked women taking showers after having sex(Cobra) or two lover shooting themselves in the head just because they cant marry (Legend of Windaria) on national televisions. Then LOGH started on third and fifth TV and this time was around 94\95.

This whole thing resulted in very solid anime fanbase, very disturbing moments for a child growing up and much fun that i can ask for national televisions.Good days they were, i really miss that.

Galewolf fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jan 9, 2007

Henry Winklers balls
Aug 2, 2006
Slightly Agravic
but what will julian do...

man this series is loving awesome definitely the best animation one i have watched.

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma
Catching up on The Series So Far...

#89: This really should not have been so horrendously out-of-character. There's a lot of tragedy and grandeur in this story, and it isn't well-served by turning the Emperor Of The Whole Galaxy into a shoujo-manga teenager.

Num Lock
Apr 2, 2003

Robot Bastard posted:

Catching up on The Series So Far...

#89: This really should not have been so horrendously out-of-character. There's a lot of tragedy and grandeur in this story, and it isn't well-served by turning the Emperor Of The Whole Galaxy into a shoujo-manga teenager.

Women are way out of his experience, considering that we have never seen any women in the Imperial Military and he spent most of his life in the fleet its not surprising that the Emperor of the Galaxy is a doofus when it comes to women. Now if she was an enemy fleet he would have sunk her battleship if you catch my drift.

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma

Num Lock posted:

Women are way out of his experience, considering that we have never seen any women in the Imperial Military and he spent most of his life in the fleet its not surprising that the Emperor of the Galaxy is a doofus when it comes to women.
Well, yeah, but it's kind of annoying to see the Emperor of the Galaxy acting like such a dweeb. The whole scene is really a lot more silly than I've come to expect from Logh.

quote:

Now if she was an enemy fleet he would have sunk her battleship if you catch my drift.
I think he already fired a few plasma torpedoes into her broadside, :giggity:

Zap Branigan
Oct 13, 2005
Im doing some catching up myself right now (I waited a couple months and they only got 6 eps done :argh:) And I just have to say how much I love this drat show. Its everything I could ask for with action intrigue and above all charecter development. Its so nice to see such a diverse array of charecters who each has their own unique personalities (not many cookie cutter charecters) and flaws. Truly this is an epic space opera that even while lookig at the big picture, still manages to shrink down to individual relationships between charecters. I am drat glad you guys got me into this show.

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma
Battle of the Galactic Heroes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7-4V-Iof3o

Tyndolionel
Oct 18, 2004
Ghost Fog Sabre Deluxe!
If I had to watch it like that, I'd have trouble taking any part of the show seriously. Where was it shown like that?

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma

Tyndolionel posted:

If I had to watch it like that, I'd have trouble taking any part of the show seriously. Where was it shown like that?
Some guy did it as a joke...I found the link in the Anime World Order comments page.

L:ordSilent
Jul 28, 2004

L:ordSilent posted:

Are there any other animes like this other than Crest/Banner of the stars? Im loving this and im wondering if there is anymore of it.

Can someone answer this for me please?

patricius
Apr 17, 2006

sicut patribus sit deus nobis

Tyndolionel posted:

Honestly, if I wasn't already into the show, I'd have a hard time taking it seriously with the actual 4th season OP song. It's... really bad. I didn't like the third one much either, but the fourth is so much worse.

That said, I actually kind of like the first two. Not because they're great songs, but it always seemed to me that they were being sung from Annerose's perspective and I liked that... since despite being so pivotal to the plot (insofar as she influences Reinhard's motivations and ambitions), she's not really a character we hear from often.

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma

patricius posted:

That said, I actually kind of like the first two. Not because they're great songs, but it always seemed to me that they were being sung from Annerose's perspective and I liked that... since despite being so pivotal to the plot (insofar as she influences Reinhard's motivations and ambitions), she's not really a character we hear from often.
I was thinking that while I watched that video...sort of "oh yeah, y'know, despite Annerose being the entire reason that Reinhardt is where he is now, it's been about a dozen episodes since anyone has even mentioned her, and two entire seasons since she's been on the show..."

Tyndolionel
Oct 18, 2004
Ghost Fog Sabre Deluxe!
Well, she might be making an appearance soon, going by what happened last episode.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

patricius posted:

Honestly, if I wasn't already into the show, I'd have a hard time taking it seriously with the actual 4th season OP song. It's... really bad.
It's poo poo, I always skip the bugger. 3rd wasn't too bad.

L:ordSilent
Jul 28, 2004
Im watching episode 79 and I am wondering why is space confined at the corridors? This is puzzling to me since the battles are in space where...space is unlimited.

patricius
Apr 17, 2006

L:ordSilent posted:

Im watching episode 79 and I am wondering why is space confined at the corridors? This is puzzling to me since the battles are in space where...space is unlimited.
As I recall there's some mumbo jumbo space phenomena that happen outside the corridors that destroy ships. As I recall, there's actually a battle at some point during the series where Yang's maneuvers force a few Imperial ships into the Iserlohn Corridor wall and you see them get destroyed as they "collide" with the wall as if there were a physical wall there, even though it just looks like empty space.

It's a plot device, pretty much. They never really talk much about why it happens, just that it does.

fromtherear
Nov 28, 2005
I've watched 28 episodes in 3 days. I'm addicted. i <3'd kirchies :-(

The torrents need to DL faster.

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma
Iserlohn docking sequence set to music from "Space Battleship Yamato".

You know, someone could made a fun video by putting SBY stuff next to LoGH stuff...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuekWDj4P6k

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma
On the other hand, WHAT THE gently caress JAPAN

(although it makes a bit more sense if you know the "momotaro" story.)

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Robot Bastard posted:

On the other hand, WHAT THE gently caress JAPAN

(although it makes a bit more sense if you know the "momotaro" story.)

This is golden. :neckbeard:

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Here's another! Yang Wenli and Reinhard von Lohengram vs. the Bodolza Fleet from Macross: Do You Remember Love. This is how it SHOULD be.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

This is one of the best fan videos I've seen for LOGH.

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma

Vernii posted:

This is one of the best fan videos I've seen for LOGH.
Wow, what a great site. I can't search for videos from a specific anime UNLESS I PAY THEM.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Robot Bastard posted:

Wow, what a great site. I can't search for videos from a specific anime UNLESS I PAY THEM.

Uh, no?

You can quite easily ignore the "pay us please!" stuff. I've been a member for over two years and I haven't given them a cent.

The Therminador
Mar 31, 2004

Episode 93 is out! Zeegu Kaisah Raihaado!
http://tinyurl.com/2pcbg6

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Oh thank god, I was afraid it'd never come out :dance:

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I've watching LoGH right now. Seems most of you guys are caught up in terms of the fan subs. Guess I should stay the gently caress out of this thread for fear of spoilers. :smith:

patricius
Apr 17, 2006

Himuro posted:

I've watching LoGH right now. Seems most of you guys are caught up in terms of the fan subs. Guess I should stay the gently caress out of this thread for fear of spoilers. :smith:
Yeah, also (assuming you come back to this thread anyway...) whatever you do, do NOT watch the previews and do NOT look at VA lists on the web (like on the ANN page, where they're listed by season) because from those it's pretty easy to see which characters die when.

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma
It won't take you horribly long to get caught up. Just watch three episodes a night; that's hardly more of an investment than most people already make for continuing series.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I had to go and rewatch the previous episode because I had forgotten what was going on!

abbad0n
Jan 25, 2005
Episode 94 is out.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Kickass. I was expecting another month long wait for it.

abbad0n
Jan 25, 2005
Episode 95 makes an appearance.

PegasusOh!
Mar 7, 2006

by Fistgrrl

abbad0n posted:

Episode 95 makes an appearance.

Oh christ, fifteen episodes before the end!

I still have to catch up from episode 84. Events pertaining to that episode (and the one before it) really threw me out, so I need to get back in to the groove of things.

abbad0n
Jan 25, 2005
Looky here... episode 96

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

abbad0n posted:

Looky here... episode 96

Yes! I was hoping that it wouldn't take them too long. Now to watch some hopefully glorious starship combat!

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma
Man, these Terraist characters really need to die. I mean, like, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Woot, 2 new episodes down, and things are happening in a major way.