Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 gets you 2
Oct 23, 2004

by DocEvil
Is it wrong that I know nothing about Vengeance is Mine but still want it just for the cover?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vertov
Jun 14, 2003

hello

3 gets you 2 posted:

Is it wrong that I know nothing about Vengeance is Mine but still want it just for the cover?

Not at all. But for anyone else who needs convincing, the trailer for this film is available online.

http://www.eurekavideo.co.uk/moc/catalogue/vengeance-is-mine/

lamin
Aug 22, 2003

All posts are equal but some posts are more equal than others

FitFortDanga posted:

#385: Army of Shadows

* SPECIAL EDITION DOUBLE-DISC SET FEATURES
* New high-definition digital transfer of the recent full restoration, supervised by director of photography Pierre Lhomme
* Optional Dolby Digital Stereo 2.0 soundtrack
* Audio commentary by Jean-Pierre Melville historian Ginette Vincendeau
* New interviews with Lhomme and editor Fran�oise Bonnot
* Archival excerpts from French television programs, including on-set footage from the film�s production and interviews with Melville; actors Jean-Pierre Cassel, Paul Crauchet, Paul Meurisse, and Simone Signoret; writer Joseph Kessel; and real-life Resistance fighters Andr� Dewavrin (a.k.a. Colonel Passy) and Lucie Aubrac, among others
* Jean-Pierre Melville et "L'Arm�e des ombres" (2006), a short documentary including interviews with Bonnot, Lhomme, Cassel, composer Eric Demarsan, writer and filmmaker Philippe Labro, and filmmaker Bertrand Tavernier
* Le journal de la R�sistance (1944), a rare short documentary shot on the front lines of the final days of the French Resistance
* Film restoration demonstration by Lhomme
* Theatrical trailers
* New and improved English subtitle translation
* PLUS: A booklet featuring critic Amy Taubin, historian Robert Paxton, and excerpts from Rui Nogueira�s Melville on Melville
* More!

#64: The Third Man (re-release)

* SPECIAL EDITION DOUBLE-DISC SET FEATURES
* New, restored high-definition digital transfer
* Video introduction by writer-director Peter Bogdanovich
* Audio commentary by film scholar Dana Polan
* Shadowing "The Third Man", a ninety-minute 2005 feature documentary on the making of the film
* Abridged recording of Graham Greene�s treatment, read by actor Richard Clarke
* The Third Man on the radio: the 1951 �A Ticket to Tangiers� episode of The Lives of Harry Lime series, written and performed by Orson Welles; and the 1951 Lux Radio Theatre adaptation of The Third Man
* Illustrated production history with rare behind-the-scenes photos, original UK press book, and U.S. trailer
* Actor Joseph Cotten�s alternate opening voiceover narration for the U.S. version
* Archival footage and photos of postwar Vienna
* A look at the untranslated foreign dialogue in the film
* PLUS: A booklet featuring essays by Luc Sante, Charles Drazin, and Philip Kerr
* More!
I'm pretty interested in the Army of Shadows, but very excited about The Third Man. I can't remember if I've asked before, and I'm assuming no one knows anything about this, but has there ever been even a rumor that Criterion might release Our Man in Havana? I'm just thinking of a Carol Reed/Graham Greene box set, and I'd pretty much lose it in my pants if they did.

WhereTheFishLives
Dec 11, 2006

Much to her chagrin, Miss Kitty realized she would not return home in time for her Fancy Feast served on Waterford Crystal.

lamin posted:

very excited about The Third Man.

I just got the old Criterion Edition of Third Man! :argh: I need to read their site more.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Someone emailed Criterion and got confirmation that If... is to be released in June.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005

FitFortDanga posted:

Someone emailed Criterion and got confirmation that If... is to be released in June.

Looks like Billy Wilder's Ace in the Hole will be a Criterion, too (according to a "hint" on Home Theater Forum). Paramount seems to have finally wised up and start licensing films to them. I hope it's not too much to hope for that they can also get a hold on some Republic films (they dealt with Lionsgate for Kicking and Screaming). I'd love to see what they could do with the Republic serials.

Og Oggilby fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Feb 23, 2007

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Og Oggilby posted:

Looks like Billy Wilder's Ace in the Hole will be a Criterion, too (according to a "hint" on Home Theater Forum).

:aaa:

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Og Oggilby posted:

Looks like Billy Wilder's Ace in the Hole will be a Criterion, too (according to a "hint" on Home Theater Forum). Paramount seems to have finally wised up and start licensing films to them. I hope it's not too much to hope for that they can also get a hold on some Republic films (they dealt with Lionsgate for Kicking and Screaming). I'd love to see what they could do with the Republic serials.

Holy mother of gently caress. I've dreamed about Billy Wilder Criterions. Literally dreamed about them. If there was a Criterion of Ball of Fire, I could die a happy person.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005

Mferkinwalter posted:

Holy mother of gently caress. I've dreamed about Billy Wilder Criterions. Literally dreamed about them. If there was a Criterion of Ball of Fire, I could die a happy person.

Also, Fox licenses films to Criterion, so they could actually lend some of the UA Wilders since only Some Like It Hot and The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes got decent releases. I'm fairly sure Cameron Crowe has said he has enough audio interviews with Billy Wilder to construct commentaries for his films, especially The Apartment. Considering the MGM DVD is an up-rezzed 16x9 master from the old 4x3 laserdisc transfer, we could have an improvement.

Fox could also allow Criterion to put the three Selznick Hitchcocks back into print (as well as Straw Dogs), as well as create new DVDs of The Paradine Case and the StudioCanal/Carlton films MGM licensed a long time ago (including Sabotage, Secret Agent, Young and Innocent, and The Man Who Knew Too Much '34), the two Fellini United Artists films (Satryicon and Roma), the UA and Orion Woody Allen films (Annie Hall especially, and the ABC Films licensed Take The Money and Run, which is P&S-only from MGM), Jarmusch's Stranger than Paradise, Welles' The Stranger, The Graduate, 12 Angry Men, and a lot of David Lean (pretty much all his pre-Summertime films besides the already-released Brief Encounter, Great Expectations, and Oliver Twist).

MatrixSchmatrix
Jul 1, 2006

Og Oggilby posted:

Also, Fox licenses films to Criterion, so they could actually lend some of the UA Wilders since only Some Like It Hot and The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes got decent releases. I'm fairly sure Cameron Crowe has said he has enough audio interviews with Billy Wilder to construct commentaries for his films, especially The Apartment. Considering the MGM DVD is an up-rezzed 16x9 master from the old 4x3 laserdisc transfer, we could have an improvement.

Fox could also allow Criterion to put the three Selznick Hitchcocks back into print (as well as Straw Dogs), as well as create new DVDs of The Paradine Case and the StudioCanal/Carlton films MGM licensed a long time ago (including Sabotage, Secret Agent, Young and Innocent, and The Man Who Knew Too Much '34), the two Fellini United Artists films (Satryicon and Roma), the UA and Orion Woody Allen films (Annie Hall especially, and the ABC Films licensed Take The Money and Run, which is P&S-only from MGM), Jarmusch's Stranger than Paradise, Welles' The Stranger, The Graduate, 12 Angry Men, and a lot of David Lean (pretty much all his pre-Summertime films besides the already-released Brief Encounter, Great Expectations, and Oliver Twist).

As far as the Wilder commentary would go, I'm normally very leery of chopped interviews, but Criterion's good enough at editing that it would probably work out.

I would probably commit murder to get a Criterion of the Stranger. I've got that on VHS, it's great but it could be so much more. A re-release of Rebecca would be nice, since I sold my old copy for rent money, but I'd probably wind up down on the deal since I already have Spellbound and Notorious. Oh, well.

vertov
Jun 14, 2003

hello
Yet another newsletter, this one about eclipse. The third set will be more of Ozu's post-'Banshun' films, with five titles in all. To the best of my knowledge all are already available with English subtitles, either from England, Hong Kong or Australia.

http://www.criterion.com/newsletters/eclipsefeb07/newsletter_eclipse.html

They also seem to be asking for submissions for other eclipse titles. Is anyone planning on emailing them anything? I have a few ideas, although I doubt that they would be interested in any of them.

edit - also,

quote:

three films by Raymond Bernard, an unknown master of 1930s French cinema, whose Les misérables is considered by many to be the finest screen adaptation of Victor Hugo’s novel, and whose Wooden Crosses is one of cinema’s strongest antiwar films. Rest assured that in the coming months Eclipse will offer some of the most sought-after titles from the world’s greatest filmmakers, as well as eye-opening discoveries from around the world.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

vertov posted:

Yet another newsletter, this one about eclipse. The third set will be more of Ozu's post-'Banshun' films, with five titles in all.

Oh god, I bet the criterionforum people are geeking out right now. Although I imagine they're lamenting that these aren't getting the full Criterion treatment.

I've seen Early Summer and Late Spring, but never Early Spring or Late Autumn (drat you, Ozu, drat you and your confusing titles). And I've seen the other three films in this box mentioned many times. I'm not really an Ozu fanatic, but his stuff is pleasant. And I adore Setsuko Hara.

I'd kill for any decent presentation of Satyajit Ray (they have ZERO Indian films in the collection), but mostly I'd like to be exposed to more new stuff, like the Raymond Bernard.

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Feb 24, 2007

vertov
Jun 14, 2003

hello

FitFortDanga posted:

I'd kill for any decent presentation of Satyajit Ray (they have ZERO Indian films in the collection), but mostly I'd like to be exposed to more new stuff, like the Raymond Bernard.

They (Criterion) are apparently in talks with UCSC over some Ray titles. I actually didn't know that UCSC was the North American rights holder, but I think the MoC edition of 'Abhijan' also used elements from their library, so maybe that is the case. Sony had released some of Ray's films in the past (both on VHS and DVD), which I think were from the Merchant Ivory restorations.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

vertov posted:

They also seem to be asking for submissions for other eclipse titles. Is anyone planning on emailing them anything? I have a few ideas, although I doubt that they would be interested in any of them.

ALL MELVILLE ALL THE TIME

Les Enfants Terribles, Le Silence de la Mer, Le Deuxième souffle all interest me to some extent. I'd add Le Doulos but it looks like that one may get a Criterion.

FitFortDanga posted:

I'd love to see some Ray titles as well. I've been wanting to see the Apu trilogy and The Music Room, for starters, for a while now.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
Also, according to the Criterion Forum...

Permament Vacation, Stranger than Paradise, Le Feu Follet, and a Martin Scorsese shorts compilation are all in the works too.

vertov posted:

While I'd really like some commentaries and at least one short documentary, an Eclipse set with a bunch of British Hitchcock films would be great. Perhaps with Sabotage, Secret Agent, Young and Innocent, Number 17, and The Man Who Knew Too Much '34. Blackmail should be saved for a full Criterion since it's his most important British film other than The 39 Steps and The Lady Vanishes.

A Jacques Tati set with Jour de Fete (both the color and B&W versions), Trafic, and Parade (all six Tati features were released by Criterion on laserdisc). Maybe throw in the recently restored English version of Mon oncle, too.

Mferkinwalter posted:

If there was a Criterion of Ball of Fire, I could die a happy person.

It's getting a release from Fox on May 22nd, at least.

Og Oggilby fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Feb 24, 2007

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Og Oggilby posted:

It's getting a release from Fox on May 22nd, at least.

:swoon: Og, you are a golden god. Thanks for the info.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005

Mferkinwalter posted:

:swoon: Og, you are a golden god. Thanks for the info.

I find pretty much all my information from...
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/forumdisplay.php?f=18
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3
https://www.dvdtimes.co.uk
https://www.thedigitalbits.com

Looks like Paramount also licensed Fuller's White Dog and Bergman's Face to Face.

While I suggested the Hitchcock and Tati sets for Eclipse, I also suggested getting Lionsgate and Paramount to license some Republic serials... perhaps putting 3-4 in a collection (namely, The Adventures of Captain Marvel, Spy Smasher, Undersea Kingdom, and Secret Service in Darkest Africa). Also mentioned somehow getting an animation release. If it wasn't for the necessity of having Warner/Disney styled extras-laden sets, I'd almost want Eclipse to get out a complete set of Max Fleischer cartoons (Betty Boop, Koko, Color Classics, and the rest - all from Lionsgate and Paramount).

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Og Oggilby posted:

Looks like Paramount also licensed Fuller's White Dog and Bergman's Face to Face.

Face to Face is a middling Bergman IMO, but it's a nice showcase for Liv Ullmann. I'm hoping for the complete televised version... it may well be an improvement over the one I've seen.

vertov posted:

They (Criterion) are apparently in talks with UCSC over some Ray titles. I actually didn't know that UCSC was the North American rights holder, but I think the MoC edition of 'Abhijan' also used elements from their library, so maybe that is the case. Sony had released some of Ray's films in the past (both on VHS and DVD), which I think were from the Merchant Ivory restorations.

Yeah, UCSC seems to be heavily involved with keeping Ray's work alive. I stumble across their website a lot.

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Feb 24, 2007

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
Criterion has amended their listing for the new 2-disc SE of The Third Man. They're now listing three additional supplements: a second commentary with Steven Soderbergh and Tony Gilroy, an hour-long documentary on Graham Greene (from BBC's Omnibus), and a 30 min. German documentary "Who Was the Third Man?"

Also, Criterion is apparently working on John Huston's Under the Volcano.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Og Oggilby posted:

Criterion has amended their listing for the new 2-disc SE of The Third Man. They're now listing three additional supplements: a second commentary with Steven Soderbergh and Tony Gilroy, an hour-long documentary on Graham Greene (from BBC's Omnibus), and a 30 min. German documentary "Who Was the Third Man?"

Oh gently caress. I was going to double-dip for sure before, but now you'd have to kill me for me to choose otherwise.

vertov
Jun 14, 2003

hello
DeepDiscountDVD is having a 40% off sale on Criterion titles. Say goodbye to your money!

http://www.deepdiscount.com/Criterion-Collection_stcVVcatId476504VVviewcat.htm

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

vertov posted:

DeepDiscountDVD is having a 40% off sale on Criterion titles. Say goodbye to your money!

Ugh, I just get out of debt, and this comes along. Damnit all.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you

vertov posted:

Anyone know a way I can get the Rohmer box cheaper than through this sale? If not I think I'm going $60 into debt.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

vertov posted:

Thanks for the heads up! I bought Fritz Lang's M. Haven't seen it, but have heard good things.

WhereTheFishLives
Dec 11, 2006

Much to her chagrin, Miss Kitty realized she would not return home in time for her Fancy Feast served on Waterford Crystal.

vertov posted:

Goodbye money indeed. Anybody wanna help me narrow this down and recommend their favorite/best Criterion DVDs?

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

WhereTheFishLives posted:

Goodbye money indeed. Anybody wanna help me narrow this down and recommend their favorite/best Criterion DVDs?

Any Fellini transfer they do is fantastic. I have 8 1/2 and La Strada and they're two of my favorite DVDs. I really enjoy what they did with Wes Anderson's work as well.

Also, see my movie of the month thread :D

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

vertov posted:

Yojimbo/Sanjuro for $42? Hello!

AndItsAllGone
Oct 8, 2003

Ahaha, I'm just about to buy $300 worth of DVDs from that freaking site. Thanks for the link!

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

caiman posted:

Thanks for the heads up! I bought Fritz Lang's M. Haven't seen it, but have heard good things.

Am I the only one who found this really funny?

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

lastclearchance posted:

Am I the only one who found this really funny?

What part? That he only suspects that "M" is a great film or that he doesn't seem to know that it's in the public domain and he can download it for free at archive.org?

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

Macrame_God posted:

What part? That he only suspects that "M" is a great film or that he doesn't seem to know that it's in the public domain and he can download it for free at archive.org?

No, the part about how he hasn't seen it but has heard good things. :v:

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Macrame_God posted:

So is downloading a crappy internet file preferable to purchasing a Criterion Collection dvd nowadays? :confused:

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005

caiman posted:

So is downloading a crappy internet file preferable to purchasing a Criterion Collection dvd nowadays? :confused:

The Archive.org version is the same as the old Criterion... while the 2-disc Criterion used a fresh 35mm print made off the restored camera negative. So, you get it for free, but for a reason...

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Oh god what to buy. I'm gonna limit myself to one; I could buy Le Notti bianche (which I've seen and love), or go with something I haven't (namely Bicycle Thieves, Yojimbo, Au hasard Balthazar, or Band of Outsiders). Bah.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

Criminal Minded posted:

Oh god what to buy. I'm gonna limit myself to one; I could buy Le Notti bianche (which I've seen and love), or go with something I haven't (namely Bicycle Thieves, Yojimbo, Au hasard Balthazar, or Band of Outsiders). Bah.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I just spent a bunch on that Best Buy sale/glitch or whatever it was this week, so I'm going to try and hold back on this sale.

It's funny though because just yesterday I was thinking to myself, "Isn't there usually a 40% off Criterion sale in February? Guess they didnt bother this time around."

I'm torn between a few titles; I'm leaning towards Mouchette (or maybe Pickpocket), or Bicycle Thieves, possibly Beauty and the Beast, or Videodrome, or Viridiana... I really want to see Secret Honor, but I don't know. Spirit of the Beehive, maybe? I think the main contendors right now are Mouchette, Bicycle Thieves, and Spirit of the Beehive.

The sad thing is I'll go on like this for days until I finally come to a fairly impulsive decision.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Og Oggilby posted:

The Archive.org version is the same as the old Criterion... while the 2-disc Criterion used a fresh 35mm print made off the restored camera negative. So, you get it for free, but for a reason...

This is what I meant. Of course, if you want the Criterion Collection for all it's extra features then by all means get it, but if you're only getting it because you want to see the movie, you can legally see it for free over the Internet.

Criminal Minded posted:

I know how you feel. I had to stop myself from splurging on "Pandora's Box" and the three-disc version of "Brazil". I have car payments to make dammit!

Macrame_God fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Mar 2, 2007

Saul
May 9, 2006

fuck your limo

vertov posted:

Dear God, they ship to the UK.

Student loan, it was nice knowing you.

MP*DeafRei
Jul 22, 2001

Doctor of Nachology

lastclearchance posted:

No, the part about how he hasn't seen it but has heard good things. :v:

Sir or maddam, are you under the misimpression that Fritz Lang's M is a silent film?

edit: Curse you Deep Discount! I just bought some more Criterion's from a brick and mortar, they're sitting opened on my shelf in unreturnable gloom. :(

edit2: oh well, nothing I actually want until the new releases hit the streets. Too bad I can preorder those at discount.

MP*DeafRei fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Mar 2, 2007

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

MP*DeafRei posted:

edit2: oh well, nothing I actually want until the new releases hit the streets. Too bad I can preorder those at discount.

You can preorder them at a discount at http://www.dvdplanet.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

MP*DeafRei posted:

Sir or maddam, are you under the misimpression that Fritz Lang's M is a silent film?

Certainly not! I am merely making oblique reference to the fact that the man who identifies the killer (whom I always think of as "M" because of the chalk mark and also because I can never remember the character's name) is blind, and thus has not seen M, but has heard things. Which, if you are a fan of Grieg, might be considered "good".