Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alowishus
Jan 8, 2002

My name is Mud
Five months to fill a thread this time... come on folks, surely something about Linux is vexing you! Or has it just gotten that easy to use?? :)

Previous Threads:
Archived (1 2 3 4) 5

General Help:
Hardware Help:
Distribution Specific Help:

Ubuntu
Debian
Gentoo
Fedora

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

I'll start with something easy.

Anyone got a recommendation for a simple terminal emulator to interface with a serial port. I'm looking for something like HyperTerminal, except console based and not a piece of poo poo. I'm using Xfce's Terminal and don't want to install all of gnome or kde's dependencies. I sort of got it working with screen, but I feel like I'm missing some basic program that everyone's been using for 20 years.

So, you guys got anything for me?

xdice
Feb 15, 2006

sund posted:

I'll start with something easy.

Anyone got a recommendation for a simple terminal emulator to interface with a serial port. I'm looking for something like HyperTerminal, except console based and not a piece of poo poo. I'm using Xfce's Terminal and don't want to install all of gnome or kde's dependencies. I sort of got it working with screen, but I feel like I'm missing some basic program that everyone's been using for 20 years.

So, you guys got anything for me?

minicom. Runs in an xterm, or on a console, and so on and so on. I've used it for console connections to routers and switches over serial for years, and seems to come by default with just about every distro I've looked at in the past couple years.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

xdice posted:

minicom. Runs in an xterm, or on a console, and so on and so on. I've used it for console connections to routers and switches over serial for years, and seems to come by default with just about every distro I've looked at in the past couple years.

Every distro except gentoo. minicom looks perfect, thanks!

Unboxing Day
Nov 4, 2003

On my Debian machine, I am currently using Evolution to handle all of my mail. However, I've read about things such as sendmail, fetchmail, procmail, exim4, postfix, and I figure that I'm going to have to deal with those things eventually, so I was thinking that perhaps I could transfer my mail handling from Evolution itself to use more general UNIX mail delivery. This I think would have two advantages to me.

1. I'll know how to set up UNIX mail delivery.
2. I'll be able to use any mail program I like to read and send mail. Evolution is really nice, but what if I want to access my computer remotely? Using another mail client like mutt in the same mailbox would be much nicer than having to use VNC or pipe X over to the computer I want to access it from so I can use Evolution.

However, I haven't the foggiest idea how to get started. Plus, there are so many options for fetching mail (getmail, fetchmail), sending mail (sendmail, exim, postfix), sorting mail (I know about procmail, but I'm sure there are others). So far I've gotten to the point where Evolution is reading my local inbox for mail, so I can see the dozens of cron errors that have piled up in the past couple of days. But what now?

And I want to be able to share my "sent mail" box as well, so I can tell what mail I've sent.

Is there any decent tutorials on how to get started?

GoonyMcGoonface
Sep 11, 2001

Friends don't left friends do ECB
Dinosaur Gum

sund posted:

And Debian... :barf:

nex
Jul 23, 2001

øæå¨æøåø
Grimey Drawer
This is maybe not the right thread to ask, but since its for Linux I will go ahead and ask anyways!

I want to be able to upload images to my webserver so I can use them when I post on forums, ala waffleimages. Any recommendations?

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005
I FOR ONE WELCOME OUR NEW STUPID FUCKING CATCHPHRASE OVERLORDS

AlexMax posted:

On my Debian machine, I am currently using Evolution to handle all of my mail. However, I've read about things such as sendmail, fetchmail, procmail, exim4, postfix, and I figure that I'm going to have to deal with those things eventually, so I was thinking that perhaps I could transfer my mail handling from Evolution itself to use more general UNIX mail delivery. This I think would have two advantages to me.

1. I'll know how to set up UNIX mail delivery.
2. I'll be able to use any mail program I like to read and send mail. Evolution is really nice, but what if I want to access my computer remotely? Using another mail client like mutt in the same mailbox would be much nicer than having to use VNC or pipe X over to the computer I want to access it from so I can use Evolution.

However, I haven't the foggiest idea how to get started. Plus, there are so many options for fetching mail (getmail, fetchmail), sending mail (sendmail, exim, postfix), sorting mail (I know about procmail, but I'm sure there are others). So far I've gotten to the point where Evolution is reading my local inbox for mail, so I can see the dozens of cron errors that have piled up in the past couple of days. But what now?

And I want to be able to share my "sent mail" box as well, so I can tell what mail I've sent.

Is there any decent tutorials on how to get started?

I haven't the foggiest idea about a debian specific Howto, but I've been pretty pleased with my current conbimation:
1) Fetchmail grabs mail from several pop3 accounts
2) Procmail does a bunch of regex voodoo to sort things out and stick everything into maildir format
3) Bincimap serves up my mail via imap/SSL for when I want to use a remote client
4) Pine with maildir patches works great for local console based client
5) Thunderbird handles local graphical client duties
6) Postfix manages outgoing mail

Took me maybe 4 hours to get everything merged and config'd on a gentoo box and as long as you install the docs to go with the software you will get a ton of helpful examples.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

nex posted:

This is maybe not the right thread to ask, but since its for Linux I will go ahead and ask anyways!

I want to be able to upload images to my webserver so I can use them when I post on forums, ala waffleimages. Any recommendations?

If it runs PHP, you can use this handy script provided by r1ch.

Poor Mans Randbrick
Feb 18, 2007

Is there any advantage in using cedega over wine that makes it worth forking out :10bux: ?

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

Hrolf Pyjama posted:

Is there any advantage in using cedega over wine that makes it worth forking out :10bux: ?
Try Wine and if it doesn't work, consider Cedega if it's on their official support list.

Bunny Cuddlin
Dec 12, 2004
Speaking of SCO, has there been anything significant out of that debacle since like June of last year?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

TCC-Bot posted:

Speaking of SCO, has there been anything significant out of that debacle since like June of last year?

Yeah, it seems SCO only claims infringement on 326 lines of code, most of which are comments.
More info and Groklaw links at /.

Bunny Cuddlin
Dec 12, 2004

duz posted:

Yeah, it seems SCO only claims infringement on 326 lines of code, most of which are comments.
More info and Groklaw links at /.

Wow, this case has gotten downright pathetic. Its almost like SCO's lawyers are being intentionally dense to engender sympathy or something. I especially like the part where their claims aren't even internally consistant, and the part where they admit to breach of the GPL apparently unintentionally.

willjo3
Mar 5, 2004
superfluous asshole

duz posted:

Wow, I was just about to ask this question myself. Thanks!

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
I'm in the process of migrating a FreeBSD web application server to Ubuntu 6.06 LTS. (There's a very long set of circumstances leading up to this so let's please not sidetrack this into a religious argument.) One thing from FreeBSD that I miss a lot is the daily emails to root that the cronjobs send out, with various security and system audits and the like.

I could hand-convert those cronjobs and scripts and things, but that seems like I'd be reinventing the wheel because surely somebody has implemented this for Linux already. Any ideas?

brothersgrim
Apr 28, 2005
I'm looking for a program that can connect to a Unix console via the serial port.

Minicom would have been great but it doesn't have support for VT320-7 emulation. I'm currently using TinyTerm for Windows and it's the only thing that's stopping me from converting my work machine to Linux. Last time I tried TinyTerm in WINE it just crashed spectacularly.

nex
Jul 23, 2001

øæå¨æøåø
Grimey Drawer

duz posted:

Thank you, thats perfect for my use.

Now to get this to work without deleting the .htaccess magic files..

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

brothersgrim posted:

I'm looking for a program that can connect to a Unix console via the serial port.

Minicom would have been great but it doesn't have support for VT320-7 emulation. I'm currently using TinyTerm for Windows and it's the only thing that's stopping me from converting my work machine to Linux. Last time I tried TinyTerm in WINE it just crashed spectacularly.

code:
xterm -e cu -l /dev/ttyS1 -s 9600
(for /dev/ttyS1 with 9600 bps)

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

dfn_doe posted:

I haven't the foggiest idea about a debian specific Howto, but I've been pretty pleased with my current conbimation:
1) Fetchmail grabs mail from several pop3 accounts
2) Procmail does a bunch of regex voodoo to sort things out and stick everything into maildir format
3) Bincimap serves up my mail via imap/SSL for when I want to use a remote client
4) Pine with maildir patches works great for local console based client
5) Thunderbird handles local graphical client duties
6) Postfix manages outgoing mail

Also:

1) cyrus is the best imap and pop3 server, with its own mail delivery/storage similar to maildir, but not locally accessible for the user.
2) pine is the best imap client ever.
2a) alpine is also the best imap client ever (being Apache-licensed pine).
3) Thunderbird is the second best imap client ever, and therefore the best GUI imap client.

Jesus Stick
Dec 14, 2004

Bomb Hills, Not Countries
I'm planning on trying out Linux for the first time as soon as my bootable FC6 discs finish up, and just have some questions.

1. Support for my hardware. Has anyone personally tried any of these pieces of hardware on a linux machine?
-Microsoft Intellimouse (Making all the buttons just as functional)
-Logitect G15 Keyboard
-ATI Radeon x700 AGP
-Linksys Internal Wireless Adapter
-HP 3310 Printer (Setup through a wireless network)
-iPod
-HP R927 Digital Camera

Since without the linksys driver, I won't be able to get on the linux box to the internet, that one is a priority to start. Thing is, I don't even know the process of loading a driver into linux. This is all incredibly different to me. I googled around, and don't think that much of it will be an issue, but wondering if any of you know about any of it.

2. Whenever I format my desktop using Windows, I have to use the disc that came with my motherboard to get my ethernet working. When that disc doesn't work with linux, am I just boned?

3. I have two hard drives in my desktop. The master is what I use for my OS, and I slave for storage of files. I'm using this faq http://www.howtoforge.org/the_perfect_desktop_fedora_core6 to do the install, but it doesn't mention anything about it. Will my second drive be untouched? It's where all my pictures and whatnot are. Will I be able to read/write to that drive (NTFS) after I install Linux on my machine?

Thanks

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe
I just set up an IDS at work using fedora, and I wanted to also set up some sort of monitoring software for the web. The best outcome would be something that has an attached web interface (im using Snort+BASE right now for the IDS) I searched google but I keep getting odd sites with little information anyone know of anything good?

JoeNotCharles
Mar 3, 2005

Yet beyond each tree there are only more trees.
Updating my system just hosed my Gnome install (a couple of base packages are missing from the Ubuntu servers, so it's in an inconsistent state). Fine by me - I don't really care about the whole desktop bit, I run ion as my window manager. The one thing that I miss from uninstalling gnome is gnome-terminal.

I tried using Konsole for about 5 minutes, but my god, is it ever clunky. It takes ages to start up and I can't figure out how to turn off its extra window border. Does anybody know a *simple* terminal emulator written in Qt or Gtk+? (Or wxWidgets or whatever.)

The main things I want are:

- UTF-8 output
- practically unlimited scrollback
- not too ugly looking scrollbar
- ability to cut and paste with Ctrl+Shift+C/Ctrl+Shift+V (or something similar)

I've tried uterm, rxvt, and aterm, and they all fail the last two points. I figure if I want Mac/Windows style cut and paste, I pretty much have to use something written with the KDE or Gnome philosophy, but I'd prefer not to use something that has the kitchen sink included like Konsole. (The thing takes 5 seconds to start up! Considering I open and close xterms a thousand times a minute, that's terribly painful.)

gnome-terminal was pretty much exactly what I want (it had more features than I cared about, but they were easy to ignore) but I can't install it right now due to dependency problems, and I'd really prefer not to have to drag in all of gnome just for an xterm. (It depends, indirectly, on Evolution!)

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005

JoeNotCharles posted:

Updating my system just hosed my Gnome install (a couple of base packages are missing from the Ubuntu servers, so it's in an inconsistent state). Fine by me - I don't really care about the whole desktop bit, I run ion as my window manager. The one thing that I miss from uninstalling gnome is gnome-terminal.

I tried using Konsole for about 5 minutes, but my god, is it ever clunky. It takes ages to start up and I can't figure out how to turn off its extra window border. Does anybody know a *simple* terminal emulator written in Qt or Gtk+? (Or wxWidgets or whatever.)

I'm confused about what is wrong with konsole? It has a ton of configuration options to make it do just about anything.... Also, try using "shift-insert" and "shift-delete" for copy/paste operations, seems to work on just about everything except OSX....

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

JoeNotCharles posted:

The main things I want are:

- UTF-8 output
- practically unlimited scrollback
- not too ugly looking scrollbar
- ability to cut and paste with Ctrl+Shift+C/Ctrl+Shift+V (or something similar)
code:
xterm -fa "Monospace" -fs 10 -sb -rightbar -sl 10000 -u8
should be pretty close to what you want (except for copy-paste -- xterm always pastes on button 2).

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

JoeNotCharles posted:

terminal stuff
xfce4's Terminal is a nice little program. It uses GTK2 and offers a few features like tabs while still staying light.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

JoeNotCharles posted:

Heh, I went over to Konsole on GNOME because I found gnome-term would really slow down when my system was under a heavy load. I'm happy with it after reconfiguring it a lot, but I guess this doesn't help you much. :3:

JoeNotCharles
Mar 3, 2005

Yet beyond each tree there are only more trees.

dfn_doe posted:

I'm confused about what is wrong with konsole? It has a ton of configuration options to make it do just about anything.... Also, try using "shift-insert" and "shift-delete" for copy/paste operations, seems to work on just about everything except OSX....

Well, it doesn't show up very well in this screenshot, but trust me, when you're starting at a ton of these all day it really sticks out:

Also, it takes an extraordinarily long time to start up, and when you right click, the menu is full of options that I don't want and make it look like it was thrown together haphazardly.

However, I think I've found my solution!

code:
#!/usr/bin/env python

import sys
from kdecore import KApplication, KLibLoader
from kparts import KParts
from qt import QVBox, SIGNAL

class MainWindow(KParts.MainWindow):

def __init__(self):
    KParts.MainWindow.__init__(self, None)
    vbox = QVBox(self)
    factory = KLibLoader.self().factory("libkonsolepart")
    konsole = factory.create(vbox, "konsolepart", "KParts::ReadOnlyPart")
    self.connect(konsole, SIGNAL("destroyed()"), self.close)
    self.setCentralWidget(vbox)

a = KApplication(sys.argv, "kterm")
window = MainWindow()
a.setMainWidget(window)
window.show()

a.exec_loop()
I'm gonna have to add some code to bind shortcut keys to cut and paste, but other than that this is just about perfect. It still takes quite a while to start if it's the first KDE app that loads, but after that it's nice and quick, and it doesn't have all the extra cruft that the konsole shell adds - it's just the main widget.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

sund posted:

minicom -c on

Why that isn't default, I have no idea.

phiglit_missally
Jun 10, 2004

Mostly Harmless
I have an interesting problem.

I would like to replicate the user accounts from our AD user store, to an OpenLDAP, with passwords being translated into what a Unix client would query against. Do any of you fine people have a good website for walking through the process? I have done google search after google search, but all of the sites I have found are for consulting on doing this, or just posts/emails saying (in more words) "Keep them separate."

Any advice or sites you could recommend?

Aoi-chan
Jul 28, 2003

Here are two questions I've had since being an admin that I've not seen answered yet.

Why can't I forcibly remove 'z' state (zombie) processes from the process table to reclaim PIDs/space, and why can't I forcibly kill a process stuck in 'd' state (disk wait)? Our machine used to collect about 5 zombies per day for some reason, and we ran out of proc table space eventually on it. Also, since we ran on NFS, sometimes we REALLY needed to kill processes that were uselessly stuck in disk wait. I never felt like it made sense to have to wait 10 minutes to get my terminal back because the net dropped while I was doing 'ls'.

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005

Aoi-chan posted:

Here are two questions I've had since being an admin that I've not seen answered yet.

Why can't I forcibly remove 'z' state (zombie) processes from the process table to reclaim PIDs/space, and why can't I forcibly kill a process stuck in 'd' state (disk wait)? Our machine used to collect about 5 zombies per day for some reason, and we ran out of proc table space eventually on it. Also, since we ran on NFS, sometimes we REALLY needed to kill processes that were uselessly stuck in disk wait. I never felt like it made sense to have to wait 10 minutes to get my terminal back because the net dropped while I was doing 'ls'.

What kernel version are you running? The kernel should go through periodically and clear out zombied procs, at least in newer versions. I have no clue about the diskwait question though.

Aoi-chan
Jul 28, 2003

dfn_doe posted:

What kernel version are you running? The kernel should go through periodically and clear out zombied procs, at least in newer versions. I have no clue about the diskwait question though.

Well, it was 2.2.19 at the time. Some scientist started a fork bomb by accident that would have been fine except for filling the process table (65535 entires, I think?) with zombies. I was told letting the admins remove zombies was a Bad Idea, but it was never explained why.

Gambit32
Feb 16, 2003

M'sweet, I never gamble... I win. At everything.
Good god, how in the world to do I keep vim from making tmp/backup files of EVERYTHING i edit?

Ive got dozens of filename.ext~ files all over my system. I would assume its something in the vimrc file, but I swear im blind because I cant figure which setting it is

help~

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Aoi-chan posted:

Why can't I forcibly remove 'z' state (zombie) processes from the process table to reclaim PIDs/space,
Zombie is a process that exited but not yet accepted by its parent' wait()/waitpid(). Zombies do not use any resources other than PID and descriptor that kernel keeps to return process completion data to its parent.

It's pointless to kill zombies because if they are long-lived, there is another process (zombie's parent) that is mis-designed or stuck. Killing that process kills a zombie. If a parent process exited before child, init takes place of its parent.

quote:

and why can't I forcibly kill a process stuck in 'd' state (disk wait)?
Because i/o operation is not complete. Again, problem is usually not in a process that is waiting for i/o but on the device that is not responding.

quote:

Our machine used to collect about 5 zombies per day for some reason, and we ran out of proc table space eventually on it.
Instead of trying to fix the symptom, fix the problem, the process that leaves its children hanging as zombies. If there are enough processes to fill the process table, obviously the parent process does not preform its function, so it should be fixed or at least restarted.

quote:

Also, since we ran on NFS, sometimes we REALLY needed to kill processes that were uselessly stuck in disk wait. I never felt like it made sense to have to wait 10 minutes to get my terminal back because the net dropped while I was doing 'ls'.
Fix NFS, and I/O will complete. NFS handles even survive server reboots, so unless you have a server that permanently died in the middle of work (and then NFS clients hanging would be the last of your worries), this should not be a problem.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Gambit32 posted:

Good god, how in the world to do I keep vim from making tmp/backup files of EVERYTHING i edit?

Ive got dozens of filename.ext~ files all over my system. I would assume its something in the vimrc file, but I swear im blind because I cant figure which setting it is

help~

Actually those are Emacs backup files.

HIERARCHY OF WEEDZ
Aug 1, 2005

Gambit32 posted:

help~

What I have in my .vimrc:

code:
set backupdir=~/.vim_backup/
set backup writebackup
Then just mkdir ~/.vim_backup and now all the backups of files will be placed in there. If you want vim to only make backups when it is attempting to write a file and then delete the backup afterwards, use `set nobackup writebackup' instead.

Gambit32
Feb 16, 2003

M'sweet, I never gamble... I win. At everything.
Thank god. Thank you VERY much.

This latest version of slackware must have different runtime options compiled in, enabling it. So since I upgraded to slack11, ive been generating a TON of these files.

Watson
Oct 28, 2003
I recently upgraded from Win XP to Ubuntu. In Windows I used a particular Tag&Rename feature that I am really missing. In Linux I am using EasyTAG, but I am very open to switching to a different application.

Say you have a directory that is full of .mp3 files that together make up an audiobook, but you ripped them from the CDs and so now you want to number the tracks sequentially 1 - 18 for example even though the tracks were ripped from three different CDs.

Does anyone know of a Linux application that would work well for this?

Also, it occurred to me that it might be good if we started a separate thread called "Recommend Me a Linux Application." In such a thread people could ask questions like the one above. Such a thread would seem useful because there is such a wealth of different applications for Linux that might all do pretty much the same thing generally, but which might not all do a particular thing that someone is looking for. I would be glad to start such a thread, but I might not be the best person since I am such a recent convert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Watson posted:

Say you have a directory that is full of .mp3 files that together make up an audiobook, but you ripped them from the CDs and so now you want to number the tracks sequentially 1 - 18 for example even though the tracks were ripped from three different CDs.

EasyTag does it. It's this button right here:

Be warned however, even though it only applies the numbers to selected files, it counts from all files visible.