Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Watson
Oct 28, 2003

duz posted:

EasyTag does it. It's this button right here:

Thanks! I have not been able to find any documentation on EasyTag. I was able to apply the track numbers to all of the files, but when I try to rename the files to Track Number - Album I get a dialog where I can enter the mask to rename the files, but there is no OK button. How does this part work?

Thanks for putting up with a newbie.

Edit: Just to clarify. When I press F2 it does have an Apply button that lets me rename the directory, but when I click Scanner, Rename File(s) and Directory, it does not have an Apply or OK button. It looks like this second method is the way to rename all of the files in the directory, but I just can't get it to work.

Watson fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Mar 25, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Watson posted:

Thanks! I have not been able to find any documentation on EasyTag. I was able to apply the track numbers to all of the files, but when I try to rename the files to Track Number - Album I get a dialog where I can enter the mask to rename the files, but there is no OK button. How does this part work?

Thanks for putting up with a newbie.

Edit: Just to clarify. When I press F2 it does have an Apply button that lets me rename the directory, but when I click Scanner, Rename File(s) and Directory, it does not have an Apply or OK button. It looks like this second method is the way to rename all of the files in the directory, but I just can't get it to work.

F2 is only for the directory. To rename files, select them then click the fifth button, it's supposed to be a page being scanned but looks like a poorly drawn green lightsaber. From that window you can select renaming or auto-changing of tags. After you set the options click the scan/lightsaber button that is in that window to update the selected files.
At least that's how I do it, I havn't been able to find good documentation and I'm too used to T&R.

Watson
Oct 28, 2003

duz posted:

At least that's how I do it, I havn't been able to find good documentation and I'm too used to T&R.
Thanks. It is not the most intuitive application, but it looks like it gets the job done after all.

mastahnke
Jan 30, 2004

phiglit_missally posted:

I have an interesting problem.

I would like to replicate the user accounts from our AD user store, to an OpenLDAP, with passwords being translated into what a Unix client would query against. Do any of you fine people have a good website for walking through the process? I have done google search after google search, but all of the sites I have found are for consulting on doing this, or just posts/emails saying (in more words) "Keep them separate."

Any advice or sites you could recommend?

Couldn't you just use AD rather than replicate it into OpenLDAP? You can certainly make Linux boxes authenticate and authorize against AD.

I assume you have other good stuff in your OpenLDAP and that's why you want to use it? You could always have one source of data for authentication (AD) and one for other goodness.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
I'm trying to use my iBook running debian as a boot server to install NetBSD onto an SGI Indy. Doing this requires the debian server to run bootpd and tftpd. I've installed both and updated inetd.conf accordingly. Bootp is running fine, but tftpd wont start. I've looked through my logs and I haven't been able to find the source of the problem.

What could be preventing tftpd from starting?

Envy Insanity
Oct 2, 2003

Have gone to commit suicide. Intend to return from grave Friday. Feed cat.
I haven't used Linux since 2001, and even then I was a novice, so bear with me. I decided to dual-boot Linux with XP for a while and see if I can get back in to it. I decided to go with Ubuntu.

I got all my disks ready and burned a copy of the Linux System Rescue CD so I could use Gparted to partition the drives. It boots fine, but when I type "startx", the monitor shuts down (Using Nvidia 5500 FX). I've been googling and looking through Wikis for two hours, and have found a bunch of people with the same problem, but nobody with a solution. I realize that the drivers hate Linux, and some people have mentioned editing the /etx/X11/xorg.conf file, but I'm having trouble even locating it, not sure if that even applies to me since I'm running it off a LiveCD.

So, I'm an idiot, but I'd like to try, suggestions are appreciated.

edit: So, I stopped being an idiot for a second and got in to editing the conf file with nano, but it was already set to vesa. When it's set like this, the display turns off. On a kick, I switched it to ati and it gave me the "No devices detected" and "No screens found" errors.

Still lost.

Envy Insanity fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Mar 25, 2007

phystrr tuat
Aug 10, 2003
I'm running Ubuntu Edgy w/ Gnome desktop: is there any way to get transparent windows without installing Beryl or Compiz? I really just want that one feature...

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Envy Insanity posted:

I haven't used Linux since 2001, and even then I was a novice, so bear with me. I decided to dual-boot Linux with XP for a while and see if I can get back in to it. I decided to go with Ubuntu.

I got all my disks ready and burned a copy of the Linux System Rescue CD so I could use Gparted to partition the drives. It boots fine, but when I type "startx", the monitor shuts down (Using Nvidia 5500 FX). I've been googling and looking through Wikis for two hours, and have found a bunch of people with the same problem, but nobody with a solution. I realize that the drivers hate Linux, and some people have mentioned editing the /etx/X11/xorg.conf file, but I'm having trouble even locating it, not sure if that even applies to me since I'm running it off a LiveCD.

So, I'm an idiot, but I'd like to try, suggestions are appreciated.

edit: So, I stopped being an idiot for a second and got in to editing the conf file with nano, but it was already set to vesa. When it's set like this, the display turns off. On a kick, I switched it to ati and it gave me the "No devices detected" and "No screens found" errors.

Still lost.

If your live CD doesn't do it by itself, manually ser HorizSync and VertRefresh to whatever your monitor can understand. Most of live CDs (including Ubuntu "desktop" live/installer CD that you can also use to run gparted) do it automatically.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

phystrr tuat posted:

I'm running Ubuntu Edgy w/ Gnome desktop: is there any way to get transparent windows without installing Beryl or Compiz? I really just want that one feature...

You can use xcompmgr and transset, and I think, there are versions of other window managers that support transparency internally if xcompmgr is running. You have to enable Composite extension in X and have a card that supports it.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

dietary supplement posted:

I'm trying to use my iBook running debian as a boot server to install NetBSD onto an SGI Indy. Doing this requires the debian server to run bootpd and tftpd. I've installed both and updated inetd.conf accordingly. Bootp is running fine, but tftpd wont start. I've looked through my logs and I haven't been able to find the source of the problem.

What could be preventing tftpd from starting?
Wrong permissions or invalid options. There are few different tftpd implementations, I use tftp-hpa.

phiglit_missally
Jun 10, 2004

Mostly Harmless

mastahnke posted:

Couldn't you just use AD rather than replicate it into OpenLDAP? You can certainly make Linux boxes authenticate and authorize against AD.

I assume you have other good stuff in your OpenLDAP and that's why you want to use it? You could always have one source of data for authentication (AD) and one for other goodness.

Right. We do not have direct control over our AD in my office, due to being owned by a bigger company. We have a lot more stuff that needs an extended schema though. Without divulging to much, we run game servers, game development environments, and host a lot of services like a wiki, ticket tracking, lots of mysql databases, and unix logins for the entire building. I would rather keep the Unix/Linux side working the way it is through ldap, just because it is working. I would just like to migrate at least some of the windows user accounts with our unix side.

I don't really need active replication, but a script or something to migrate the first time would definatly help a lot. I can keep the user accounts fairly sync'd going forward, but inputting over 100 user records by hand, and getting the users to input a password is not something I would choose to do.

Envy Insanity
Oct 2, 2003

Have gone to commit suicide. Intend to return from grave Friday. Feed cat.

teapot posted:

If your live CD doesn't do it by itself, manually ser HorizSync and VertRefresh to whatever your monitor can understand. Most of live CDs (including Ubuntu "desktop" live/installer CD that you can also use to run gparted) do it automatically.

I did this and also set the driver to "nv", and it worked great. Thanks.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Can some one help me using RAW camera images with linux?

I want to have a very simple way to convert RAW images to JPEG with the click of a button. I have UFRaw which can batch convert images on the command line. Turning that into a little script seems simple enough.

I cannot figure out what values to use for all the settings so that it will spit out a JPEG that is identical (or as close as it possible) to what my camera would have produced. Is this possible?

I tried just using all the defaults, but that produces a jpg that is less than half the size of what my camera normally produces. And it is much darker than the original NEF file.

My camera is a Nikon D40 and I have previously been saving file in jpg Fine mode. I can't even figure out what the compression on the jpeg files is. They seem to be different for every photo.

Thank you for any help. I just want to be able to quickly send stuff off to Flickr, and for that they need to be in jpeg (or tiff I guess) format.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Kaluza-Klein posted:

Can some one help me using RAW camera images with linux?

I want to have a very simple way to convert RAW images to JPEG with the click of a button. I have UFRaw which can batch convert images on the command line. Turning that into a little script seems simple enough.

I cannot figure out what values to use for all the settings so that it will spit out a JPEG that is identical (or as close as it possible) to what my camera would have produced. Is this possible?

I tried just using all the defaults, but that produces a jpg that is less than half the size of what my camera normally produces. And it is much darker than the original NEF file.

My camera is a Nikon D40 and I have previously been saving file in jpg Fine mode. I can't even figure out what the compression on the jpeg files is. They seem to be different for every photo.

Thank you for any help. I just want to be able to quickly send stuff off to Flickr, and for that they need to be in jpeg (or tiff I guess) format.

You should run the standalone 'ufraw' command. It has a GTK interface you can check and set all your options with. There is also a gimp import plugin if you want to use that. Once you got it configured with some good defaults, you can export the configuration and use it with ufraw-batch.

I'm not sure if your Nikon has a similar feature, but my camera is an Olympus and I find it easier to just use it in RAW+JPG mode. I treat the jpegs as I would a snapshot and throw on flickr or send to a friend and only get into the raws if I need to.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

sund posted:

You should run the standalone 'ufraw' command. It has a GTK interface you can check and set all your options with. There is also a gimp import plugin if you want to use that. Once you got it configured with some good defaults, you can export the configuration and use it with ufraw-batch.

I'm not sure if your Nikon has a similar feature, but my camera is an Olympus and I find it easier to just use it in RAW+JPG mode. I treat the jpegs as I would a snapshot and throw on flickr or send to a friend and only get into the raws if I need to.

I was thinking of using thr RAW+JPG feature, but that would create a lot of extra data that I will never use. If I snap 100 photos, I may only throw 1 or 2 on Flickr. That is a lot of jpg's sitting around just taking up space.

Defaults is kind of a subjective term though, isn't it? Settings that make one output jpeg look like the input raw will not necessarily work across the board. At least that is the way it is looking to me. Maybe what I am trying to do just isn't a possiblity?

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Kaluza-Klein posted:

I was thinking of using thr RAW+JPG feature, but that would create a lot of extra data that I will never use. If I snap 100 photos, I may only throw 1 or 2 on Flickr. That is a lot of jpg's sitting around just taking up space.

Defaults is kind of a subjective term though, isn't it? Settings that make one output jpeg look like the input raw will not necessarily work across the board. At least that is the way it is looking to me. Maybe what I am trying to do just isn't a possibility?

You're right. There's only so much the software can do with the defaults. Try having as many of the settings in ufraw as auto or camera and go from there. Your camera has to do a similar operation when it creates the jpeg, so it should be possible to get some settings that approximate it. No matter what though, it'll never be a totally hands off job.

edit:
I just gave it a shot and it works pretty well for me.
code:
ufraw --wb=camera --base-curve=camera --black-point=auto --exposure=auto Photos/Raw/pb271246.orf
The only problem was it's a picture with a lot of snow and so the camera compensated by underexposing it. The camera jpg and my converted raw file look pretty similar, but with either of them I would want to adjust the exposure setting manually before putting it on flickr.

yippee cahier fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Mar 25, 2007

ShortStack
Jan 16, 2006

tinystax
I'm using Kubuntu on my Compaq laptop. I have 915resolution installed and my screen resolution is currently 1280 x 800. I'm not sure if I can do this, or how I would go about doing it but is there a way I can set my resolution to 1440 x 900? I think that the max resolution is 1280 x 800, and I have my doubts as to if I can change this or not. Thanks :unsmith:

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

[-4] Flaw: Heart Broken - Tehk is extremely lonely. The Gay Empire's ultimate weapon finds it hard to have time for love.
I dumped windows about two years ago for non gaming and got rid of it all together around three weeks ago. Now I am a full time ubuntu user. I am a frequent guest on podcast from time to time and we use skype. One of the biggest features that skype does not have is 'Push to talk' like in vent and TS2. I found that the windows version of skype has a Hotkey area where I setup a mute hot key on my mouse. So I used to do the podcast on my windows box. Now that I completely dumped windows I am back using skype on ubuntu and the GNU/Linux version does not have the hotkey or the mute function.

So my questions are; Is there a plugin for skype(GNU/Linux) that enable Push to Talk? If not is there a way to mute the microphone using a keyboard/mouse shortcut? I know you can mute the sound using a hot key in the keyboard shortcut menu.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

This is my first foray into Linux. I'm about a week in to running OpenSUSE 10.2, and I love it to the point where I don't think I'm going to go back to Windows. I've worked through some issues to get things running smooth, but this one has me stumped. I'm running KDE and I'm trying to install some themes from KDE-Look.org.

I do my "./configure" and it compiles, after tons of trial and error of installing various things, but when I try and do "make", this is what I get:
code:
replicade@hydrogen:~/Documents/domino-0.4> make
make  all-recursive
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/replicade/Documents/domino-0.4'
Making all in domino
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/replicade/Documents/domino-0.4/domino'
make[2]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/replicade/Documents/domino-0.4/domino'
Making all in dominoConfig
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/replicade/Documents/domino-0.4/dominoConfig'
/usr/lib/qt3/bin/moc ./dominoconf.h -o dominoconf.moc
if /bin/sh ../libtool --silent --tag=CXX --mode=compile g++ 
-DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -I/opt/kde3/include -I/usr/lib/qt3/include -I.  
-I/usr/include/freetype2  -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT  -D_REENTRANT  
-Wno-long-long -Wundef -ansi -D_XOPEN_SOURCE=500 -D_BSD_SOURCE -Wcast-align 
-Wconversion -Wchar-subscripts -Wall -W -Wpointer-arith -O2 
-Wformat-security -Wmissing-format-attribute 
-Wno-non-virtual-dtor -fno-exceptions 
-fno-check-new -fno-common  -MT dominoconf.lo -MD -MP 
-MF ".deps/dominoconf.Tpo" 
-c -o dominoconf.lo dominoconf.cpp; \
        then mv -f ".deps/dominoconf.Tpo" ".deps/dominoconf.Plo";
 else rm -f ".deps/dominoconf.Tpo"; exit 1; fi
After that it doesn't bring me back to a prompt; it just sorta hangs. I can type stuff but it does nothing. I've tried to google for answers and I've gotten by with doing that until now. i'm totally lost on what to do from here.

shyduck fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Mar 27, 2007

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

ShortStack posted:

I'm using Kubuntu on my Compaq laptop. I have 915resolution installed and my screen resolution is currently 1280 x 800. I'm not sure if I can do this, or how I would go about doing it but is there a way I can set my resolution to 1440 x 900? I think that the max resolution is 1280 x 800, and I have my doubts as to if I can change this or not. Thanks :unsmith:

Have you seen http://absolutebeginner.wordpress.com/2006/08/20/absolute-beginner-guide-915resolution/ ? Seems to cover this case.

Lynxifer
Jan 2, 2005
Comedy "Buttsecks" Option
I've used Linux off and on over the past three years (once I got passed my fuckkk w1inblowz, qq GAYtes stage) I've settled onto Ubuntu.

I recently liberated an old 40GB harddrive and revived my old Ubuntu headless server.

I was wondering if anyone knows of a internet streaming radio solution that fits my needs. I would like something that plays MP3's (I don't really care about ogg vorbis support, I'm not THAT open sauce) that you can listen to with VLC, Winamp or whatever, but instead of having to create playlists, you can just tell it to play everything in a certain folder and be done with it.
I've looked at ICEcast2 which I couldn't get to work at all, and right now I can kind of cobble SHOUTcast to do my bidding, but I find it very messy and if another solutions exists I would drop it in a heartbeat.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

Lynxifer posted:

I was wondering if anyone knows of a internet streaming radio solution that fits my needs. I would like something that plays MP3's (I don't really care about ogg vorbis support, I'm not THAT open sauce) that you can listen to with VLC, Winamp or whatever, but instead of having to create playlists, you can just tell it to play everything in a certain folder and be done with it.
I've looked at ICEcast2 which I couldn't get to work at all, and right now I can kind of cobble SHOUTcast to do my bidding, but I find it very messy and if another solutions exists I would drop it in a heartbeat.

How about gnump3d? (http://www.gnu.org/software/gnump3d/)

I used it for awhile (over a SSH tunnel) and it was pretty handy. Decent web interface, fairly easy setup, and could play whole directories with one click. It also supports downsampling on the fly and can support multiple users at once. I do remember having to set some strange permissions on my mp3 directories, but I think that was because I kind of gave up on the documentation.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Alrighty, I was able to work out my first problem, but I have another question, and hopefully it's an easier one. How do I change the font color on the KDE kicker? I'm running KDE 3.5.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Lynxifer posted:

I've used Linux off and on over the past three years (once I got passed my fuckkk w1inblowz, qq GAYtes stage) I've settled onto Ubuntu.

I recently liberated an old 40GB harddrive and revived my old Ubuntu headless server.

I think mpd will stream to icecast, meaning you'd be able to run any of the mpd clients to build playlists (CLI,GUI,WWW) from anywhere.

Wedge of Lime
Sep 4, 2003

I lack indie hair superpowers.

Aoi-chan posted:

Also, since we ran on NFS, sometimes we REALLY needed to kill processes that were uselessly stuck in disk wait.

I am not entirely sure if this is correct for Linux, however under Solaris if you imagine that a program which opens a file over nfs must ask the kernel to do it, as it is a privileged operation.

When this occours the process effectively switches operations from user land into the kernel. In this example imagine that the process running in the 'user process space' is "cat" reading a file from an NFS mount.

code:
   ----function calls --->

| User Process Space | Kernel Space  | File System (NFS)
t | open a file(x)     |               | 
i | ------------------>|  open file(x) |
m |                    |-------------->|
e |                    |<--------------|
  V <------------------|               |
Now, thats a rather crude diagram but it should demonstrate my point.

When you 'kill' a process you simply set a flag in the kernel which says, next
time you deal with this process terminate it.

These 'flags' are processed when a process passes through the boundary between the user land and the kernel space. A process which has got stuck waiting for NFS is stuck all the way over to the right in kernel space.

Until this NFS file open / read / write / whatever times out and fails, the process will never cross the user/kernel boundary and thus your request for the process to be killed is never handled.

I may have got some things incorrect there but I'm fairly sure thats the gist of it without getting out my unix system internals book.
The solution to this problem (which has already been mentioned) is to fix NFS, or in some cases you can 'umount -f' the offending file system.

defmacro
Sep 27, 2005
cacio e ping pong
Is there anyway to disable this?
code:
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
@    WARNING: REMOTE HOST IDENTIFICATION HAS CHANGED!     @
IT IS POSSIBLE THAT SOMEONE IS DOING SOMETHING NASTY!
Someone could be eavesdropping on you right now (man-in-the-middle attack)!
It is also possible that the RSA host key has just been changed.
The fingerprint for the RSA key sent by the remote host i
I understand the potential implications, I don't need a lesson on that. At work we have one main box that's exposed to the internet, and you can access the other machines through SSH by going through a specific port on the main machine that's just forwarded to 22 on another machine. However, if you've accessed one of the machines (let's say the main one), if you try and SSH into any of the others (with the specified port) you get this error message.

Essentially I'm writing a backup script for a machine that'll only rsync to those servers, and it needs to do it to two of them. I can't just delete the .ssh/known_hosts file, otherwise I'll get prompted which cannot happen, as it needs to be automated. Is there anyway I can disable/ignore this warning?

GeneralZod
May 28, 2003

Kneel before Zod!
Grimey Drawer

shyguy posted:

Alrighty, I was able to work out my first problem, but I have another question, and hopefully it's an easier one. How do I change the font color on the KDE kicker? I'm running KDE 3.5.

Do you mean the taskbar? If so, I'm sure I saw mention of a very recent patch to enable just this, but I can't find any reference to it, now. Unless it has been patched for 3.5.6, then I don't think this is possible, sorry.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

GT_Onizuka posted:

I understand the potential implications, I don't need a lesson on that. At work we have one main box that's exposed to the internet, and you can access the other machines through SSH by going through a specific port on the main machine that's just forwarded to 22 on another machine. However, if you've accessed one of the machines (let's say the main one), if you try and SSH into any of the others (with the specified port) you get this error message.

Essentially I'm writing a backup script for a machine that'll only rsync to those servers, and it needs to do it to two of them. I can't just delete the .ssh/known_hosts file, otherwise I'll get prompted which cannot happen, as it needs to be automated. Is there anyway I can disable/ignore this warning?
You could try putting "StrictHostKeyChecking no" to the config file.

Al Azif
Nov 1, 2006

shyguy posted:

After that it doesn't bring me back to a prompt; it just sorta hangs. I can type stuff but it does nothing. I've tried to google for answers and I've gotten by with doing that until now. i'm totally lost on what to do from here.

How long did you let it hang? The last command it ran was compiling some C++ which (depending on your system) might take a couple of minutes. It's unlikely that g++ just locked up.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Just dumped Windows, now running Kubuntu Feisty + Beryl and lovin every bit of it.

Just one question, I want to take video of Beryl in action to show some friends. Any points in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Crush
Jan 18, 2004
jot bought me this account, I now have to suck him off.
Sorry if this has been brought up in a previous thread, but how does flasg run for you guys? What version of flash and what linux distro are you using?

I ask because I am on a FreeBSD machine which doesn't have native flash support so I have to use the hacked up linux versions in ports that have trouble with video and audio gettings out of sync.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Crush posted:

Sorry if this has been brought up in a previous thread, but how does flasg run for you guys? What version of flash and what linux distro are you using?

I ask because I am on a FreeBSD machine which doesn't have native flash support so I have to use the hacked up linux versions in ports that have trouble with video and audio gettings out of sync.

Running Ubuntu Feisty, and I'm using the Flash 9 Beta. Works just as well as it does in Windows.

UNCUT PHILISTINE
Jul 27, 2006

Heresiarch posted:

I'm in the process of migrating a FreeBSD web application server to Ubuntu 6.06 LTS. (There's a very long set of circumstances leading up to this so let's please not sidetrack this into a religious argument.) One thing from FreeBSD that I miss a lot is the daily emails to root that the cronjobs send out, with various security and system audits and the like.

I could hand-convert those cronjobs and scripts and things, but that seems like I'd be reinventing the wheel because surely somebody has implemented this for Linux already. Any ideas?

I'd really like to know this too. The scripts would probably be trivial to port over but... I'm lazy.

mastahnke
Jan 30, 2004

Without Pants posted:

I'd really like to know this too. The scripts would probably be trivial to port over but... I'm lazy.

Um logwatch for Linux is basically the same thing. You configure what you want, and it audits stuff and sends it to you. RHEL has it on by default and I normally just put a .forward file in ~/root if I care about those messages.

If it's something specific then I can't help, but if it's general like

* how many times did a user attempt login and fail
* disk space
* snippits from /var/log/secure

then you are set.

mastahnke
Jan 30, 2004

GT_Onizuka posted:

code:
@    WARNING: REMOTE HOST IDENTIFICATION HAS CHANGED!     @
IT IS POSSIBLE THAT SOMEONE IS DOING SOMETHING NASTY!
Someone could be eavesdropping on you right now (man-in-the-middle attack)!
It is also possible that the RSA host key has just been changed.
The fingerprint for the RSA key sent by the remote host i

The better question is why are your hostkeys changing? If they change one on a rebuild, then I guess I understand, if your hostkeys are changing a lot, then you have other issues. (Or I guess you could be using DHCP).

Either way, you lose a critical layer of security by simply ignoring hostkeys.

<shamelessplug> http://www.amazon.com/Pro-OpenSSH-Michael-Stahnke/dp/1590594762>Buy my SSH BOOK! </shamelessplug>

mastahnke
Jan 30, 2004

phiglit_missally posted:

Right. We do not have direct control over our AD in my office, due to being owned by a bigger company. We have a lot more stuff that needs an extended schema though. Without divulging to much, we run game servers, game development environments, and host a lot of services like a wiki, ticket tracking, lots of mysql databases, and unix logins for the entire building. I would rather keep the Unix/Linux side working the way it is through ldap, just because it is working. I would just like to migrate at least some of the windows user accounts with our unix side.

I don't really need active replication, but a script or something to migrate the first time would definatly help a lot. I can keep the user accounts fairly sync'd going forward, but inputting over 100 user records by hand, and getting the users to input a password is not something I would choose to do.

Ok, so for user information use AD and for Applications use OpenLDAP? Yeah, I am not really answering the question, let me try this.

You won't be able to just dump the password out of AD and import it into OpenLDAP. The formats are not the same. You could run some kind of cracker against AD, but since you said your area doesn't own AD, you would probably get in trouble for that. So, time for more options.

Write a password change screen. When a user needs to change their password, intercept the change and then call the native openLDAP change and the AD change on the back end.

To import users from AD, use Perl, Python, PHP, C, whatever and just dump them via an LDAP search refined to whatever you needed.

Another option would be to use some sort of Metadirectory to populate certain attributes. As far as partial replication of just he user containers in AD to OpenLDAP, I am not sure it can be done. If it can, I don't have great answers on it. So, I may have just filled your thread with nothing. If so sorry. If not, cheers. :)

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Couple questions about win/nix sharing.

1. I have a windows box with a external drive connected to it (D:\) How would I go about mounting that on the linux side? I have the shares setup already on the windows side.

2. After I mount the external drive, would I should be able to write to it even though it's NTFS correct? Since everything should be done through the Windows OS?

lljfk

Aoi-chan
Jul 28, 2003

Wedge of Lime posted:

I am not entirely sure if this is correct for Linux, however under Solaris if you imagine that a program which opens a file over nfs must ask the kernel to do it, as it is a privileged operation.

Oh, wow, that's the first time someone's ever explained the technical side of it, which is what i've been wondering. And yes, the obvious solution has always been to fix NFS. Given the technical difficulties of using NFS between Linux 2.2.17 and Solaris 2.7 pre-NFS patching, this is beyond the point. Thank you.

defmacro
Sep 27, 2005
cacio e ping pong

mastahnke posted:

The better question is why are your hostkeys changing? If they change one on a rebuild, then I guess I understand, if your hostkeys are changing a lot, then you have other issues. (Or I guess you could be using DHCP).

Either way, you lose a critical layer of security by simply ignoring hostkeys.

<shamelessplug> http://www.amazon.com/Pro-OpenSSH-Michael-Stahnke/dp/1590594762>Buy my SSH BOOK! </shamelessplug>

All the hostkeys are the same, it's just that address.to.box1 is used to access ALL the other machines:
code:
ssh address.to.box1
ssh -p 2222 address.to.box1
Access two different machines. So for the same hostname, we're getting two different host keys. Isn't that normal behavior?

Saukkis posted:

You could try putting "StrictHostKeyChecking no" to the config file.

Thanks, that took care of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adante
Sep 18, 2003
For the love of god, someone tell me how to change the limits on the number of open files a user can have (this is Xposted on forums.gentoo).

In my /etc/limits, I have tried the following entries

code:
adante N4096
* N4096
Just for the heck of it I have also put into /etc/security/limits.conf
code:
adante          soft    nofiles         4096
adante          hard    nofiles         8192
*               soft    nofiles         4096
*               hard    nofiles         8192
and also added
code:
session    required     /lib/security/pam_limits.so
to /etc/pam.d/login

But when I login:
code:
Using username "adante".
Authenticating with public key ""
Last login: Wed Mar 28 21:45:40 2007 from 192.168.1.67
adante@pveer ~ $ ulimit -a
core file size          (blocks, -c) 0
data seg size           (kbytes, -d) unlimited
file size               (blocks, -f) unlimited
max locked memory       (kbytes, -l) 32
max memory size         (kbytes, -m) unlimited
open files                      (-n) 1024
pipe size            (512 bytes, -p) 8
stack size              (kbytes, -s) 8192
cpu time               (seconds, -t) unlimited
max user processes              (-u) 16383
virtual memory          (kbytes, -v) unlimited
file locks                      (-x) unlimited
The limits still do not work.

What is the secret behind getting them to work? All the documentation tells me I need to re-login. I have done this, but still the file limit is 1024. Do I need to reboot? Physically login to terminal? Log out of all instances? Is this mentioned anywhere?