Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Wolfsheim posted:

And plus, his new outfit is homage to Locke from FFVI, so you better reco'nize

needs more bandana

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Fuego Fish posted:

Which is good, adds character depth.
It's people like you that ruined Sluggy Freelance. :argh:

Kahrytes
Jun 4, 2004

Now I need a drink. Not this one. Another one. And in a different place.
Wow, there's some horrible or extremely creepy stuff going on in Erfworld.

"If you've held anything back, you're almost in the clear for now."

"I haven't held anything back, mistress."

"I know. If you had, I woulda croaked you. You've been very good, Jillian."

"Tonight you'll be rewarded properly."

And then they just start shooting the poo poo, talking about how one another has been doing. They've done this torture stuff before, most likely... :gonk:

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

NorgLyle posted:

I'm not Pete Abrams.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Kahrytes posted:

Wow, there's some horrible or extremely creepy stuff going on in Erfworld.

"If you've held anything back, you're almost in the clear for now."

"I haven't held anything back, mistress."

"I know. If you had, I woulda croaked you. You've been very good, Jillian."

"Tonight you'll be rewarded properly."

And then they just start shooting the poo poo, talking about how one another has been doing. They've done this torture stuff before, most likely... :gonk:

I don't mean to harp on or appear like I'm defending Erfworld, but again, lesbians and implied fetishism in a webcomic, saints preserve us.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

CoolCab posted:

I don't mean to harp on or appear like I'm defending Erfworld, but again, lesbians and implied fetishism in a webcomic, saints preserve us.
It's creepy as gently caress when they're half-midget mittenhands, though :(

Efreet saiid
Jan 29, 2006

by Lowtax
I think the idea of that bit in erfworld was that they're all going through the motions of this "Game" but there's also other stuff going on under the surface. The problem is that i've got no interest in what's going on on any level.

Kahrytes
Jun 4, 2004

Now I need a drink. Not this one. Another one. And in a different place.

CoolCab posted:

I've no problem with the lesbians. The fetishism is a bit weird, but the sheer quickness they swap from "TELL ME SECRETS!" *whip whip whip* to "So. How's the other side treating you?"

That's hosed up.

Spaceship Zero
Jul 24, 2006

The soul of vengeance is a robot dinosaur

Leikr Elferston posted:

I think the idea of that bit in erfworld was that they're all going through the motions of this "Game" but there's also other stuff going on under the surface. The problem is that i've got no interest in what's going on on any level.

The guy that created the world is a fat, sweaty, virgin.

Of course it has creepy lesbianism.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Kahrytes posted:

I've no problem with the lesbians. The fetishism is a bit weird, but the sheer quickness they swap from "TELL ME SECRETS!" *whip whip whip* to "So. How's the other side treating you?"

That's hosed up.

Perhaps they just stopped being In Character v:shobon:v

Jeet
Jul 12, 2001

Kahrytes posted:

That's hosed up.

I love how you all go "oh god woman torturing woman its KINKY".

I'll call that they are sisters.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Kahrytes posted:

That's hosed up.

It’s hosed up because it completely goes against every single expectation a reader would have in this type of situation. And the comic is even better for breaking that type of pacing/storyline convention. What the two posted above me are probably right: The whole point of this comic seems to be exploring the set pieces of the standard D&D genre and break them when ever possible.

I’m just surprised every one jumped to the lesbian’s angle once torture was brought up. I think most of us gotten bitter to web comics after reading the crap found in Web comic thread, i.e. expect the worse.

BexGu fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Mar 26, 2007

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

BexGu posted:

What the two posted above me are probably right: The whole point of this comic seems to be exploring the set pieces of the standard D&D genre and break them when ever possible.

But it has almost nothing in common with DnD :confused: I see it much more as a spoof of wargames.

Jon
Nov 30, 2004
I hope Roy grapples Xykon and screams "Homer Simpson" over and over again.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Kahrytes posted:

the sheer quickness they swap from "TELL ME SECRETS!" *whip whip whip* to "So. How's the other side treating you?"

That's hosed up.
I remember an old Warner Brothers cartoon with a wolf and a sheepdog, only they treated their jobs like human jobs. They would come in at the start of the day, do small talk, punch in their cards, etc. Then they would pretty much kick the crap out of each other, until the whistle blew at the end of the day.

This is like that, only instead of wacky cartoon hijinks, it's wacky medieval torture hijinks :gonk:.

Tag Plastic
Jun 10, 2006

Not organic.

SuperKlaus posted:

I don't think Roy's gonna die. I certainly hope he doesn't, anyway, because this new "competent" Elan bugs me somehow. It's the outfit. I have no desire to see him leading the Order.

But Elan isn't second in command, Haley is. Elan's pretty much last in command, new PrC or no.

I don't think Roy will perma-die, but I just feel the ebb and flow of narrative demands a big setback for The Heroes right now, and a temp-dead Roy would be just that. Hell, torch the city, 'kill' Roy, and have Hinjo hook up with the Order for a while.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

NorgLyle posted:

OOTS is nothing like Sluggy. For one thing, the two fated lovers are now in a relationship and it took only like 3 years for that to happen. :colbert:

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
While the mitten-hands are pretty off-putting in the context, I actually found how fast they switched from bizzare, fetishistic torture to cheerful small talk kind of hilarious.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Tag Plastic posted:

I don't think Roy will perma-die, but I just feel the ebb and flow of narrative demands a big setback for The Heroes right now, and a temp-dead Roy would be just that. Hell, torch the city, 'kill' Roy, and have Hinjo hook up with the Order for a while.

Actually, the ebb and flow of narrative here suggests that since there are three gates left beyond this one, Xykon fails to take Azure City.

Kragor's Tomb is a pretty blatant Final Dungeon.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Rincewind posted:

While the mitten-hands are pretty off-putting in the context, I actually found how fast they switched from bizzare, fetishistic torture to cheerful small talk kind of hilarious.

Yeah as someone else has already said, I think it's more that the "game" narrative requires the torture scene so they got it out of the way and now are just chilling since it's accomplished what it's supposed to. I think there's some good ideas in it but it's all still a bit strange to me.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
I didn't see anyone mention that

:siren: NEW STRIP IS UP :siren:

so there we go.

Our conjecture has apparently proved to be correct.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

What's a Huecuva?

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

I see the Monster Manual and the Book of Vile Darkness, but what is "FF"?

Also:
http://www.enworld.org/cc/converted/special/death_knight.htm
http://www.enworld.org/cc/converted/undead/huecuva.htm
http://www.enworld.org/cc/converted/outsider/eye_of_fear_and_flame.htm

Neither of these look like Redcloak could just create them from arbitrary skeletons, so it does not quite work, though.

Vanadium fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Mar 27, 2007

Iggy Johnson
Mar 11, 2007

It doesn't work if you beg.
Fiend Folio would be my guess.

Kramer
Aug 31, 2001

Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked in the head with an iron boot?

Vanadium posted:

I see the Monster Manual and the Book of Vile Darkness, but what is "FF"?

Fiend Folio

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
Man, I thought I was a huge D&D nerd, but I had never heard of eyes of fear and flame. Did they actually appear in any modules?

Efreet saiid
Jan 29, 2006

by Lowtax
I've heard of them somewhere, I think they were in the MC. Anyway redcloak doens't really need all this plan poo poo if he's powerful enough to whip up a death knight then he may as well just conjure up an apache from some d20 modern sourcebook and strafe the walls with rockets. The delivery was good, but the power level is getting a bit ridiculous.

Jon
Nov 30, 2004

Leikr Elferston posted:

I've heard of them somewhere, I think they were in the MC. Anyway redcloak doens't really need all this plan poo poo if he's powerful enough to whip up a death knight then he may as well just conjure up an apache from some d20 modern sourcebook and strafe the walls with rockets. The delivery was good, but the power level is getting a bit ridiculous.

Well, a death knight can be as little as CR 4 so it's not that big of a deal.

e: The eye of fear and flame is much high of a CR, but I'm guessing that he's depowered based on what we've seen of him. It's okay to bend the D&D rules if it means a better game (or comic).

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Leikr Elferston posted:

The first and foremost goal of Order of the Stick is to be an entertaining comic strip. The second goal is to be set within the world and rules of Dungeons and Dragons.

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Mar 27, 2007

Efreet saiid
Jan 29, 2006

by Lowtax
I'm not fixating on the rules, but the power these guys has makes a lot of the plot seem arbitary. For instance, who cares if they die? They can come back. Why can the lich blast his way through a dungeon full of angels and yet has to sneak a flanking manuver to take out a castle full of normal humans? What is that super-mega tough shadowy monster even for if they already vastly out-gun their enemies?

I'd be saying the same things in a comc with a bunch of superhumans doing similarly inconsistant poo poo.

Jon
Nov 30, 2004

Leikr Elferston posted:

I'm not fixating on the rules, but the power these guys has makes a lot of the plot seem arbitary. For instance, who cares if they die? They can come back.
If the city is destroyed, who will revive them? What garuntee do they have that the god(s) will see fit to bring them back?

Leikr Elferston posted:

Why can the lich blast his way through a dungeon full of angels and yet has to sneak a flanking manuver to take out a castle full of normal humans?
In this story, angels aren't that tough, wereas there are many, many more humans who all have training and (presumably) PC levels.

Leikr Elferston posted:

What is that super-mega tough shadowy monster even for if they already vastly out-gun their enemies?
They don't vastly out-gun their enemies, and they didn't have anywhere near the amount of peons when the shadowy-guy was introduced.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Leikr Elferston posted:

I'm not fixating on the rules, but the power these guys has makes a lot of the plot seem arbitary. For instance, who cares if they die? They can come back. Why can the lich blast his way through a dungeon full of angels and yet has to sneak a flanking manuver to take out a castle full of normal humans? What is that super-mega tough shadowy monster even for if they already vastly out-gun their enemies?

I'd be saying the same things in a comc with a bunch of superhumans doing similarly inconsistant poo poo.

Yeah that's Dungeons & Dragons for you.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Leikr Elferston posted:

Man, you were one of those people who got all upset when the science-fiction-bullshit plot to Y the last man was resolved through science-fiction-bullshit, aren't you?

Boggus
Mar 26, 2007

A yellow jumpsuit makes all the difference.
So what is up with Redcloaks 1000gp telescope? While I am familiar with D&D it feels like I am missing something out here.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Boggus posted:

So what is up with Redcloaks 1000gp telescope? While I am familiar with D&D it feels like I am missing something out here.

That is how much spyglasses cost in DnD.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
And presumably something the author finds ridiculous if he's making that tag so obvious.

Sock
Oct 8, 2001
Do me. Do me.

SuperKlaus posted:

And presumably something the author finds ridiculous if he's making that tag so obvious.

Redcloak's going to return it to the store and get his money back after getting use out of it. Because he's evil.

Pieces of Peace
Jul 8, 2006
Hazardous in small doses.

Boggus posted:

I think it's just to emphasize how freaking expensive the thing is. I know I've had several moments playing D&D where I have this exchange:
"...50 ft. of silk rope, a grappling hook, and... I want a spyglass."
"1000 gold."
"drat!"

To me, it looks like it's just a little mini-gag based on the item itself (not its context or use), just saying "drat, that's expensive!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Cowcaster posted:

Man, you were one of those people who got all upset when the science-fiction-bullshit plot to Y the last man was resolved through science-fiction-bullshit, aren't you?

Hey now. We don't have anything to do with Happy Elf, and think his list of complaints are as silly as you do.