Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

slayn666 posted:

If you're not anal about owning Criterions, then just wait for the upcoming non-CC version.

I am anal about owning Criterions, and I'm getting really frustrated with bootleggers. I've bought two bootleg versions of The Killer so far; luckily, I was able to get my money back. I have another one one the way, but I have a very strong suspicion that it, too, will be a bootleg. Does anyone have an authentic copy of this drat movie that they'd be willing to part with for a reasonable ($50-60) price?

Question: When you bid on these auctions for DVDs that turn out to be boots, did the original auction state, "This is NOT a bootleg?" I've just always been curious if the bootleg sellers on eBay are stealthy, or just downright deceitful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

caiman posted:

Question: When you bid on these auctions for DVDs that turn out to be boots, did the original auction state, "This is NOT a bootleg?" I've just always been curious if the bootleg sellers on eBay are stealthy, or just downright deceitful.

Well it's a tricky situation. Some of these guys don't know they're selling bootlegs because the bootleggers have gotten so drat good. However, there are some things that will tell you immediately if you have an authentic Criterion. One is the NIMBUS logo near the center of the disc. Another, at least for The Killer, is the white frosted center area. Realistically, though, if you win an auction for a rare OOP Criterion like The Killer, Hard Boiled, or Sid and Nancy and the seller has another copy up within a few days, you've just bought a bootleg.

The larger problem, though, is that eBay doesn't do a whole lot to people that consistently sell bootleg DVDs. While doing research on other forums, I've come across the names of sellers listed as known bootleggers from several years ago that you can still find selling their evil wares today.

If anyone has any questions about how to spot bootleg Criterions, I can try to answer them, or at least point you towards sites that can.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

slayn666 posted:

Well it's a tricky situation. Some of these guys don't know they're selling bootlegs because the bootleggers have gotten so drat good. However, there are some things that will tell you immediately if you have an authentic Criterion. One is the NIMBUS logo near the center of the disc.

So does the NIMBUS logo absolutely, positively mean that the DVD is legit?

It seems like it wouldn't be a difficult thing for a bootlegger to duplicate.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

caiman posted:

So does the NIMBUS logo absolutely, positively mean that the DVD is legit?

It seems like it wouldn't be a difficult thing for a bootlegger to duplicate.

Everything I've read seems to indicate that this is the case, and that it's either impossible or prohibitively expensive to reproduce the logo. Of course, if you're dealing with some of the oldest OOP titles, just because you don't see the NIMBUS logo does not automatically mean you have a bootleg; I know that a fair amount of authentic Silence of the Lambs discs don't have it, they have CMCA logos.

The usual things to check are for the NIMBUS logo, unless it's Silence of the Lambs, in which case you want to look for the CMCA logo and check the numbers that follow it versus the numbers from known authentic copies (they might not match exactly, but if you're pretty drat close, only off by two or three digits, you've probably got a legit copy). You can also check the quality of the insert; if things look distorted, chances are you have a bootleg. If the paper is overly glossy (just compare it to other Criterions from around the same time), you probably have a bootleg. If it's pretty faded, bootlet.

Some people will check the case itself, which I think is a bit iffy. If the case is obviously not a type that Criterion has ever used, then yes, you probably have a bootleg, but if everything else seems to match up with legit versions, it might not hurt to just ask the guy you bought it from if he maybe had to replace the case at some point.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

If you want to try to avoid buying from a possible bootlegger, do a bit of research (if you're using eBay). Go through his feedback and see if he's sold any more copies of extremely rare DVDs. If the dude has sold ten copies of Salo over the last six months, I'd be willing to bet a month's pay that he's a bootlegger. Also check his current auctions; if he's selling every OOP Criterion, chances are he's a bootlegger. If he's selling a bunch of OOP Disney DVDs, again, bootlegger.

Also, don't be fooled by promises of "factory sealed!!!!11" The more proficient bootleggers can now print out the security seals and make then look drat convincing and shrinkwrap is just shrinkwrap, you can go pick up a machine that'll do that for you for fairly cheap. In fact, just don't plan on getting a sealed copy; authentic ones are going to so rare that it really won't be worth the time you'll invest im camping eBay looking for it.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

dpvtank posted:

Is this price in Canadian Dollar or USD (I'm assuming USD)? I couldn't seem to find anything more about pricing on the website. And tell me more about these coupons. I'm about to make my first purchase from DVD Planet, and a coupon code would do me a world of good.

Taken from an email I got:

quote:

NEW COUPONS
MARCH2007 $5 OFF $50
PREMAR2007 $10 OFF $125
SPRINGCHICKEN $7 OFF $80
MARUSED2007 10% OFF $50 ORDER OF USED
EXPIRE 3/31/2007

quote:

The DVD Planet Frequent Buyers Club is the great new way to earn dollars against your DVDPlanet.com orders! It's so simple: you earn one DVDPLANET point per
dollar spent, which you can apply against your DVDPlanet.com order as follows:

When You Accrue: You Earn These Credits
200 points - $5 credit
400 points - $12 credit
600 points - $20 credit
800 points - $28 credit
1000 points - $40 credit

Points are SO EASY to redeem. If you have more than 200 points, a redemption
drop-down will appear at checkout. Select the number of points you wish redeem and
click apply! Up to 1000 points can be applied to any order as long as the total of
the order is not less than the amount of points you are trying to apply.
So yeah, not a bad deal. Prices are in USD. I got my movies today and they shipped on the 17th, therefore they were about a billion times faster than when I ordered with DDD (I think I waited 4 weeks one time)

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Thanks slayn, lots of good advice. The guy I'm considering buying from isn't on eBay, but an exchange forum on another site. I'm not TOO concerned about it being a bootleg. I trust him, but my only worry is that he might THINK it's legit when it's not. I may ask him where he got it.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

vertov posted:

It's not another Criterion, it's from Dragon Dynasty. I made a post about it in the "Upcoming DVDs" thread.
Any idea if the Dragon Dynasty release will have new subtitles, or if they're going to use the same translation of the English dub that the old R1 discs (Criterion and Fox) used? The remastered Mei Ah disc is currently my favourite transfer of Lashou Shentan (1992), and is only edition I know of with English subtitles of the original dialogue. Even if we do lose the classic, `Give him one gun, he's Superman. Give him two, he's God!'

And, for whatever it's worth, both the Hong Kong Legends and the Fortune Star Dip Hyut Shueng Hung (1989) (a.k.a. The Killer) are in the worth-owning group of Woo transfers.

vertov
Jun 14, 2003

hello

SubG posted:

Any idea if the Dragon Dynasty release will have new subtitles, or if they're going to use the same translation of the English dub that the old R1 discs (Criterion and Fox) used? The remastered Mei Ah disc is currently my favourite transfer of Lashou Shentan (1992), and is only edition I know of with English subtitles of the original dialogue. Even if we do lose the classic, `Give him one gun, he's Superman. Give him two, he's God!'

And, for whatever it's worth, both the Hong Kong Legends and the Fortune Star Dip Hyut Shueng Hung (1989) (a.k.a. The Killer) are in the worth-owning group of Woo transfers.

I'm not sure. I only have the Pox Lorber version of 'Lashou Shetan', but I'm pretty sure that for 'Dip Hyut Shueng Hung' the subs on the Criterion were different than the FL. FL used the "Mickey Mouse" and "Donald Duck" substition for "dickhead" and "butthead" if I remember correctly. Or was that only for the VHS?

However, I am a little worried that the DD discs will have ugly yellow subtitles, since that is what Mirimax typically used. Here's hoping that things change though. Has anyone gotten any of the existing DD releases? I think 'Tom yum goong' might be the only one available at the moment. I wouldn't mind picking that one up, but frankly I can't afford to keep up with DVD anymore (aside from stocking the university film library).

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

As an example of an auction that I'm about 99% certain is legit, I just won this one for Hard Boiled. He provided a lot of pictures of the DVD, and his other auctions make it look like he's just selling off some of his collection.

Sorry to keep going on about this, but getting bootlegs when I expect authentic discs really, really pisses me off and I just want to help anyone that'll listen avoid that kind of frustration.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

slayn666 posted:

As an example of an auction that I'm about 99% certain is legit, I just won this one for Hard Boiled. He provided a lot of pictures of the DVD, and his other auctions make it look like he's just selling off some of his collection.

Sorry to keep going on about this, but getting bootlegs when I expect authentic discs really, really pisses me off and I just want to help anyone that'll listen avoid that kind of frustration.

Heh, I've been following that auction for about 24 hours. Congrats!

I too just decided to bite the bullet and get Hard Boiled from the previous mentioned deal I was considering. The final deal was $30 plus my Bottle Rocket dvd (which can be had for about $6 on DeepdiscountDVD :) ). The guy told me he purchased it at the store back when it was announced to be OOP, and it's in great condition. I'll post an update in this thread once I get it to let you guys know if I got an awesome deal, or if I was totally raped in the rear end.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.

caiman posted:

Heh, I've been following that auction for about 24 hours. Congrats!

I too just decided to bite the bullet and get Hard Boiled from the previous mentioned deal I was considering. The final deal was $30 plus my Bottle Rocket dvd (which can be had for about $6 on DeepdiscountDVD :) ). The guy told me he purchased it at the store back when it was announced to be OOP, and it's in great condition. I'll post an update in this thread once I get it to let you guys know if I got an awesome deal, or if I was totally raped in the rear end.

If you did it could have been a lot worse. This auction seems to have less of a risk than most of the others, though slayn666 is the most legit looking so far. It's only $36 so I'd say it's reasonable.

MatrixSchmatrix
Jul 1, 2006

I never even considered that Silence of the Lambs might be a bootleg, it's generally so cheap that I didn't think people would bother. Is it supposed to be in a slightly strange case, where the indentation on the side is shallower than pretty much every other dvd case there is?

Also, I got my copy of Hard Boiled on amazon, used, for $20, pretty much assuming it would be a bootleg. When it showed up, it looked pretty good, so I checked: Nimbus logo, baby. :c00l:

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

MatrixSchmatrix posted:

I never even considered that Silence of the Lambs might be a bootleg, it's generally so cheap that I didn't think people would bother. Is it supposed to be in a slightly strange case, where the indentation on the side is shallower than pretty much every other dvd case there is?

Mine is in a standard Amaray style keepcase (with the "yin yang" hub and normally-indented side). Though I wouldn't worry too much about yours being fake. I really haven't heard of many instances of SOTL CC being a boot. It's just not as rare as other OOP CCs.

Where did you buy it?

MatrixSchmatrix
Jul 1, 2006

caiman posted:

Mine is in a standard Amaray style keepcase (with the "yin yang" hub and normally-indented side). Though I wouldn't worry too much about yours being fake. I really haven't heard of many instances of SOTL CC being a boot. It's just not as rare as other OOP CCs.

Where did you buy it?

Amazon, both times I've bought it. I've actually had mostly good luck buying things used on there; the only fake I've gotten was (ironically) F For Fake, but I bitched and got a refund, so it was all cool.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Here's another general CC collecting question. For those of you who are trying to either obtain the entire collection, or just trying to pick up the rare OOPs, how do you factor in re-releases? Is the old version still desireable even though Criterion has released a better version with the same spine number? The perfect example is Salo. It's in talks of being re-released. Does this make the original release obsolete, or still something worth tracking down/paying top dollar for?

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
I'd say it makes it obsolete. If the new release has better quality and is in far greater supply, what's the point in owning the old release? The only situation I could see the OOP version being desirable in is if there is a certain extra (like a good commentary) that was present on the OOP version that is not present in the new version.

This isn't likely, since Criterion owns the rights to almost all of their extras.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

caiman posted:

Here's another general CC collecting question. For those of you who are trying to either obtain the entire collection, or just trying to pick up the rare OOPs, how do you factor in re-releases? Is the old version still desireable even though Criterion has released a better version with the same spine number? The perfect example is Salo. It's in talks of being re-released. Does this make the original release obsolete, or still something worth tracking down/paying top dollar for?

No, get the re-releases. They generally have better quality, more extras, etc etc. Unless you're a hipster who likes having rare DVDs, in which case eat your heart out.

Also, to vaguely divert, does anyone know if Critereon is planning to rerelease Dead Ringers?

RazzMatazz
Oct 25, 2005
I managed to get an amazing deal on a legit Hard Boiled off another goon from SA Mart. Apparently I'm the third goon to own this copy so far. For those of you who have seen The Killer, is it good enough to justify the cost for a good copy? I'm one of those people who won't be able to rest until The Killer is sitting nicely next to Hard Boiled

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Slackerish posted:

Also, to vaguely divert, does anyone know if Critereon is planning to rerelease Dead Ringers?

No. There's a relatively new DVD of Dead Ringers available from Warner Brothers. Unfortunately, there is no Cronenberg commentary on the new DVD, but there is a Jeremy Irons commentary (I can't speak to it's quality as I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet). The picture quality, however, is much better than the Criterion (and anamorphic, too).

MatrixSchmatrix
Jul 1, 2006

caiman posted:

I'll take an out of print Criterion over a strictly superior release from another company- I wouldn't trade my copy of The Bank Dick- but I much prefer the re-releases. I suppose there's something a bit contradictory in that, but really I just like Criterions and I'm otherwise pretty rational about DVDs.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005

cryme posted:

I'd say it makes it obsolete. If the new release has better quality and is in far greater supply, what's the point in owning the old release? The only situation I could see the OOP version being desirable in is if there is a certain extra (like a good commentary) that was present on the OOP version that is not present in the new version.

This isn't likely, since Criterion owns the rights to almost all of their extras.

All of their re-issues have been improvements, so the OOPs don't really have a place in the collection. Especially the comparatively awful M.

vertov
Jun 14, 2003

hello

cryme posted:

The picture quality, however, is much better than the Criterion (and anamorphic, too).

Wrong aspect ratio though. Another mixed-bag rerelease is the MGM version of 'Robocop', which has a sharper image than the Criterion (and is anamorphic), but it fucks up the colors quite a bit. Also, it comes packaged with 'Robocop 3'.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

cryme posted:

No. There's a relatively new DVD of Dead Ringers available from Warner Brothers. Unfortunately, there is no Cronenberg commentary on the new DVD, but there is a Jeremy Irons commentary (I can't speak to it's quality as I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet). The picture quality, however, is much better than the Criterion (and anamorphic, too).

Yah, I have that edition, but damnit I want my Cronenberg commentary :(

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

caiman posted:

As others have said, unless there is something on the original release that isn't on a rerelease, just go for the new stuff. Of course, if you're a completist...

However, the prices for rare OOP stuff tends to go down by a fair bit if a rerelease is announced.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

slayn666 posted:

However, the prices for rare OOP stuff tends to go down by a fair bit if a rerelease is announced.

Yeah, and you can generally find any OOP edition for a lower price on Amazon (used of course).

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Slackerish posted:

Yeah, and you can generally find any OOP edition for a lower price on Amazon (used of course).

It's been my experience that, unless you go for the extremely expensive copies, you run a much higher risk of getting a bootleg via the Amazon Marketplace than you would with eBay (provided you do your research).

MatrixSchmatrix
Jul 1, 2006

slayn666 posted:

It's been my experience that, unless you go for the extremely expensive copies, you run a much higher risk of getting a bootleg via the Amazon Marketplace than you would with eBay (provided you do your research).

I think his point was that OOPs of rereleases can usually be found at lower prices than the rereleased version, not that Amazon was a particularly good place for them.

Although, as I said, I've had good experiences. The main difference is that eBay lets you look at pictures, but you stand a much better chance of getting a really awesome deal on amazon if you look long enough.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
Brazil made my head hurt. In a good way. :20bux: :20bux: well spent. I was laughing hysterically throughout, both for the comedy :roflolmao: and nervous "Did I just loving see THAT?" :psylon: . Loved it. The packaging is also the most beautiful packaging in my DVD collection.

Here be ending spoilers of both Brazil and another movie : Second best ending fakeout I've ever seen- sorry I love The Departed. I was getting nervous with all of those "fake climaxes" but I love the ultimate pay off. And yeah the Love Conquer's All version lame, but important for all of those great reasons others have said. It also could be what is going on inside Sam's head as he sits broken in that chair. What he sees in a slightly more messed up way than is present in the "real" movie. . I'm glad Gilliam got what he wanted.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

What's that you say? Yet another bootleg copy of The Killer? :bang:

Ornamented Death fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Mar 29, 2007

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

slayn666 posted:

What's that you say? Yet another bootleg bopy of The Killer? :bang:

drat, sorry to hear. Was this another ebay deal?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

caiman posted:

drat, sorry to hear. Was this another ebay deal?

Nah, I gave the Amazon Marketplace a try this time around. At this point, I'm just going to wait until I see an auction similar to the one I posted for Hard Boiled, or pray that someone bites in my
SA Mart thread

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

Sorry to hear that slayn666 . I hope the world stops loving you over.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

LaptopGun posted:

Sorry to hear that slayn666 . I hope the world stops loving you over.

Haha, man, I'm not that emo about it :). At this point, knowing that a fundamentally better release is coming out later this year, it's just my stubborness and OCD making me keep at it :v:.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

slayn666 posted:

Haha, man, I'm not that emo about it :). At this point, knowing that a fundamentally better release is coming out later this year, it's just my stubborness and OCD making me keep at it :v:.

Good luck buddy. :cheers:

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I just bought a copy of The Killer for $40. The guy is from another forum and claims he got the DVD directly from Criterion when he used to work there some years ago. Supposedly it's in perfect condition. I'll let you guys know if I got screwed.

parmanaut
Jul 31, 2004
GRADIUSIC

caiman posted:

I just bought a copy of The Killer for $40. The guy is from another forum and claims he got the DVD directly from Criterion when he used to work there some years ago. Supposedly it's in perfect condition. I'll let you guys know if I got screwed.

drat, I'm envious if it works out. Best of luck with that.

Alain Delon
Oct 28, 2004

how strange it is to be anything at all
I ordered 3 Films by Louis Malle Box to compliment my Elevator to the Gallows.

-BigEvil-
Sep 3, 2006
"He'll see the Big Board!"

Alain Delon posted:

I've been meaning to pick up Elevator to the Gallows forever. Not really sure why I haven't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baronanglish
Apr 17, 2004

Alain Delon posted:

Have you seen Murmur of the Heart? I loved the other two films in the set, so I'm considering buying this as well.