Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

spfdz posted:

Couple questions about win/nix sharing.

1. I have a windows box with a external drive connected to it (D:\) How would I go about mounting that on the linux side? I have the shares setup already on the windows side.

2. After I mount the external drive, would I should be able to write to it even though it's NTFS correct? Since everything should be done through the Windows OS?

in /etc/fstab:

//host/share /mnt/share smbfs username=user%password,uid=1005,rw 0 0

or mount -t smbfs -o username=user%password,uid=1005,rw //host/share /mnt/share

The uid option should be the uid of your general user, as real permissions can't be used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GringoGrande
Jul 27, 2001
Nah...
When I'm chatting with gaim and use an emoticon, they never show up for my friends. Any suggestions on what might be wrong, or is it just that gaim can't handle the SA emoticon pack properly?

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

GringoGrande posted:

When I'm chatting with gaim and use an emoticon, they never show up for my friends. Any suggestions on what might be wrong, or is it just that gaim can't handle the SA emoticon pack properly?

Uh.. do they have the emoticon pack installed too?

flappin fish
Jul 4, 2005
What can I do to increase battery life on my laptop? It goes from 5-6 hours in Windows to less than three hours in Linux, with the processor clocked down and screen brightness at minimum.

Grey Ghost
Nov 25, 2005

If you stare into the Abyss long enough the Abyss stares back at you.
I have a laptop it's an older model IBM ThinkPad (A31 to be exact)
Pentium4 M 1.4Ghz with a 40 gig HDD and 1 Gig of ram (She may be old but she's my best pal :3: )

Anyway I'm trying to get a good all around XP/Linux dual boot setup, a swiss army laptop so to speak. I've got my partitions all laid out and XP installed but I'm still deciding on a distro. I've setup Fedora on her before (ver. 4) but I want something that's much slimmer, I've also setup Gentoo before multiple times (mostly on impulse) and Gentoo has worked just fine but it's too high maintenance for me in my opinion especially for a "work" laptop.

Basically I'm looking for a distro that is slim and easy to manage package wise yet very tweakable. I’ll be using the laptop for data recovery and network security/diagnostic stuff, and maybe a bit of amateur python development.

I've been looking at Arch Linux and that seems to fit my criteria. Anyone have any comments on it?

One other slightly related question: anyone have any tips on setting the system up to use the drat UltraBay properly under Linux? i.e. swap drives without having to change a bunch of stuff around?

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

Digital Drifter posted:

Basically I'm looking for a distro that is slim and easy to manage package wise yet very tweakable. I�ll be using the laptop for data recovery and network security/diagnostic stuff, and maybe a bit of amateur python development.

I've been looking at Arch Linux and that seems to fit my criteria. Anyone have any comments on it?

You'd probably be happier with something a little more mainstream that has a lot of eyes on it -- ubuntu or debian are obvious choices.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Can anyone help me get my Panasonic HD Plasma to work nicely with xorg?

It's native resolution is XGA 1024x768, its 720p native (rectangular pixels make it 16:9 apparently). So far I can get it to work out of the box using Ubuntu Fiesty Fawn Beta's xorg-xserver-via at 1024x768 but there are a few problems with it.

1) The system doesn't think its 16:9, so all videos playing on it are output with a border. I can tell mplayer to use 4:3 which sort of fixes this though.
2) This is the more important and worrying part. If I have a window open and it's not moved for a minute or two, it leaves a residual outline of the contents much like a burn in effect that plasmas tend to suffer from if a stationary image remains there for a long period, but in this case its after a minute or so. It even remains after a reboot but does eventually fade away. Can this be fixed with a different Modeline?

I'm thinking refresh rates but I'm not to familiar with using anything other than a standard CRT with linux.

3) Not TV related, but the system shits itself whenever something tries to use OpenGL. DRI is active and running fine according to the log. But as soon as I attempt to execute glxinfo or any other program that tries to access a GL context the system completely locks up and requires a reset. Again this is with the "via" driver. I compiled the openchrome server as well and it does exactly the same thing. With the Vesa driver I don't get OpenGL support at all.

The system is connected to the TV via a VGA cable and is using the Via X-Server (the motherboard is an EPIA SP12000). The TV is a Panasonic TH42PX60.

Any ideas? Point 3 isn't that important but the video output concerns me.

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese
I have a volume group that's holding data that doesn't seem to be activating after a reboot. Every time I reboot I have to "vgchange -a y volgroup00" and then mount -a to get the disk back and mounted.

Am I missing something stunningly obvious?

Colin Corleone
Mar 12, 2006
Is there any way to modify nautilus so that in any directory, you can right click and select from the menu to open up a terminal in that folder, like you can in Konqueror?

Mr. Adequate
Jul 11, 2001

Then, the scientist begins his incantation.
Nap Ghost

Colin Corleone posted:

Is there any way to modify nautilus so that in any directory, you can right click and select from the menu to open up a terminal in that folder, like you can in Konqueror?

How about this?

Colin Corleone
Mar 12, 2006

Mr. Adequate posted:

How about this?

That's brilliant thanks.

Mr. Adequate
Jul 11, 2001

Then, the scientist begins his incantation.
Nap Ghost
Ok, now I've got one of my own: In an X session, I'd like to check if the pixel at a certain x/y position is a certain colour and, if it is, move the mouse there and execute a click. I've figured out the mouse moving and clicking (with Xautomation), but checking the pixel colour has me stumped.

There's a program that comes with Xautomation that can kind of do what I want, by taking a screen dump and checking the pixel in the image, but I want to perform the pixel check 3-4 times per second so that method is out. Is there another way?

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
I've been messing around with the termial in ubuntu, and I got to the man command... it's cool, but say I type in:

man php

I get 500 pages of info... and then what do I do? Is there a way to go back to the terminal after using the man command? Iv'e just been closing it and opening a new terminal.

man man didn't give any useful info on this.

Also, I have an old laptop with only a flobby drive... it does have a usb port, but it can't boot off it. Is there any way to put ubuntu (or any linux) on that?

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

bigperm posted:

I get 500 pages of info... and then what do I do? Is there a way to go back to the terminal after using the man command? Iv'e just been closing it and opening a new terminal.

Pressing "q" will exit the man pages and dump you back to your prompt. You can also use "/" to search the document (down) for terms, which is incredibly useful. "?" will search the document in reverse.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
awesome, thanks.

Watson
Oct 28, 2003

bigperm posted:

I have an old laptop with only a flobby drive... it does have a usb port, but it can't boot off it. Is there any way to put ubuntu (or any linux) on that?

I know that I have heard that this is possible to I googled for Ubuntu Network Install and found the following:
http://wiki.koeln.ccc.de/index.php/Ubuntu_PXE_Install
I am still a Linux newb myself so I don't really follow it very well, but hopefully it will lead you in the right direction.

Postal
Aug 9, 2003

Don't make me go postal!
Anyone know any good GUI frontends for Snort?

Alowishus
Jan 8, 2002

My name is Mud

Postal posted:

BASE? Or do you mean fat native desktop GUI?

phiglit_missally
Jun 10, 2004

Mostly Harmless

Postal posted:

ACID
Its web based, and not exactly easy to setup, but it works like a champ once you do.

Grey Ghost
Nov 25, 2005

If you stare into the Abyss long enough the Abyss stares back at you.

covener posted:

You'd probably be happier with something a little more mainstream that has a lot of eyes on it -- ubuntu or debian are obvious choices.

Yeah I was looking at Debian and (K)ubuntu as well, one of my greatest motivators is something minimal that I can install and build up on.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Digital Drifter posted:

Yeah I was looking at Debian and (K)ubuntu as well, one of my greatest motivators is something minimal that I can install and build up on.

You could do a custom install with only the ubuntu-minimal package and build up from there.

phiglit_missally
Jun 10, 2004

Mostly Harmless

mastahnke posted:

Ok, so for user information use AD and for Applications use OpenLDAP? Yeah, I am not really answering the question, let me try this.

You won't be able to just dump the password out of AD and import it into OpenLDAP. The formats are not the same. You could run some kind of cracker against AD, but since you said your area doesn't own AD, you would probably get in trouble for that. So, time for more options.

Write a password change screen. When a user needs to change their password, intercept the change and then call the native openLDAP change and the AD change on the back end.

To import users from AD, use Perl, Python, PHP, C, whatever and just dump them via an LDAP search refined to whatever you needed.

Another option would be to use some sort of Metadirectory to populate certain attributes. As far as partial replication of just he user containers in AD to OpenLDAP, I am not sure it can be done. If it can, I don't have great answers on it. So, I may have just filled your thread with nothing. If so sorry. If not, cheers. :)

What I was thinking of doing, is put up a LDAP server with the schemas required to do a "full" replication of the AD using samba schema extensions, and just make all the applications use samba binding to authenticate with this LDAP server (password and lookup tags etc). I have never done this particular setup before, so its uncharted territory for me. If anyone has advice for this, help is welcome.

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive
is there a good alternative to fortune?

in addition to stupid formatting and crappy jokes, now i'm getting klingon proverbs

quote:

You speak of courage. Obviously you do not know the difference between
courage and foolhardiness. Always it is the brave ones who die, the soldiers.
-- Kor, the Klingon Commander, "Errand of Mercy",
stardate 3201.7

lunix :rolleyes:

Smackbilly
Jan 3, 2001
What kind of a name is Pizza Organ! anyway?
Is there a straightforward way to tell xinit to start a new X server without explicitly telling it which number server to use?

For example "xinit blah -- :1" will start blah on a X server :1 and will create server :1 if it does not already exist. But what I want is an xinit command that starts a completely new X server every time it is invoked, regardless of which or how many X servers are already running. Can I do this?

Alternatively is there a command (other than parsing the output of ps) that will list the currently running X servers so that I can script such a thing?

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005
I FOR ONE WELCOME OUR NEW STUPID FUCKING CATCHPHRASE OVERLORDS

DEAD MAN'S SHOE posted:

is there a good alternative to fortune?

in addition to stupid formatting and crappy jokes, now i'm getting klingon proverbs

lunix :rolleyes:

Read the man page for fortune... Bellieve it or not, most programs actually have good documentation....

percocets
Nov 6, 2006

by Lowtax
i'm having trouble installing ubuntu. I have the boot disc, but whenever I try to run Ubuntu from the disc my computer won't load anything but a blank salmon-colored screen and a cursor. Is the computer frozen, or is there something I should be doing when that screen comes up??

Sorry if this is a retarded question.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

percocets posted:

i'm having trouble installing ubuntu. I have the boot disc, but whenever I try to run Ubuntu from the disc my computer won't load anything but a blank salmon-colored screen and a cursor. Is the computer frozen, or is there something I should be doing when that screen comes up??

Sorry if this is a retarded question.

Try the alternate install disc - it installs Ubuntu in a text-mode installer that should work on more systems. What kind of computer are you using?

EvilDonald
Aug 30, 2002

I'm the urban spaceman, baby.
I recently installed Suse linux on my desktop when Windows took a crap on me. I figured "Hey, my laptop's still good for my Windows stuff, and it's an excuse to play with Linux. I don't really need the desktop to do anything else, so...

In acquiring drivers and software, I keep seeing things that require RPM. Now, apparently RPM is a "package manager", I'm picturing a bit of software that manages files...I'm really not too sure what it does yet. (bear in mind, my Linux knowledge is limited to "That's what I mash to make Mahjongg come up!") Also apparently, Suse linux cmes with an incomplete or otherwise inadequate version of RPM. So-

I need to install RPM. From what I've seen, this involves bashing around in the shell- something I've no knowledge of. I'm not afraid to do so, I just don't know how. If anyone can recommend a page that explains this well, or if it's simple enough, explain it here, I will thank you.

LGBT War Machine
Dec 20, 2004

ooooohawwww Mildred
Rpm should already be installed on your system. Your packages are all .rpm packages. You need to look into using Yast to install and manage your software. The Novell site has detailed documentation there.

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive

dfn_doe posted:

Read the man page for fortune... Bellieve it or not, most programs actually have good documentation....

Take your RTFM and stick it up your arse: I know that man page better than your mother and nothing there addresses the problems I mention.

I assume your next trick will be to tell me to write my own database of aphorisms.

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005
I FOR ONE WELCOME OUR NEW STUPID FUCKING CATCHPHRASE OVERLORDS

DEAD MAN'S SHOE posted:

Take your RTFM and stick it up your arse: I know that man page better than your mother and nothing there addresses the problems I mention.

I assume your next trick will be to tell me to write my own database of aphorisms.

Hey, you were saying you didn't like the formatting nor the quotes it chooses. The man page has the info you need to remove the fortune data files you don't like and points you the location of them and the proper utilities to use if you want to reformat the text.

fortune(6) manpage posted:

If a particular set of fortunes is particularly unwanted, there is an easy solution: delete the associated .dat file. This leaves the data intact, should the file later be wanted, but since fortune no longer finds the pointers file, it ignores the text file.

Not sure why you didn't figure that out from the man page, nor am I sure why you would cop such an attitude for me trying to point you in the right direction. But hey... you wanna be a dick you go right ahead...

Straight Cash Homie
Sep 11, 2006

by elpintogrande
I setup a squid proxy for a couple of pc's that people aren't suppose to be accessing the internet on except for certain sites on our intranet.

I was able to get squid up and running. I started with a deny all and then added the allow rules for certian sites.
ie: https://www.123.com ect.. everything works great

There problem is one site the users must have access to is running on a windows machine. The users need to connect to http://machinename/wam/logon
squid returns the error

The requested URL could not be retrieved

While trying to retrieve the URL: http://machinename/wam/logon

The following error was encountered:
Unable to determine IP address from host name for machinename

The dnsserver returned:
Server Failure: The name server was unable to process this query.

This means that:
The cache was not able to resolve the hostname presented in the URL.
Check if the address is correct.

The linux box can ping the machine by using the hostname. I even added the ip address and the machine name in the linux boxs hosts file. I have the machine name added as allow in a URL Regexp acl.

Any ideas would be very helpful

Postal
Aug 9, 2003

Don't make me go postal!

Alowishus posted:

BASE? Or do you mean fat native desktop GUI?

I meant anything. I'll give BASE and ACID a try once I get Fedora up and running. Right now I'm working in a VM only and having some trouble with Fedora 6 (in parallels on a MBP).

percocets
Nov 6, 2006

by Lowtax

Twinxor posted:

Try the alternate install disc - it installs Ubuntu in a text-mode installer that should work on more systems. What kind of computer are you using?

Thanks. Computer is a Dimension 2400, and to be honest I don't know the specs, as I just rescued it from the dumpster at work for the purpose of putting Linux on and playing around. I'm assuming 128 mb ram, and the hard drive is like 30 gigs.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe

Postal posted:

I meant anything. I'll give BASE and ACID a try once I get Fedora up and running. Right now I'm working in a VM only and having some trouble with Fedora 6 (in parallels on a MBP).
I have just set up a snort box using acid and BASE, i followed this tutorial pretty much to the letter.

http://www.howtoforge.com/intrusion_detection_base_snort

I was using fedora 5 however so im not sure what would need to be different.

Can anyone lead me to good web logging software, linux based?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

percocets posted:

Thanks. Computer is a Dimension 2400, and to be honest I don't know the specs, as I just rescued it from the dumpster at work for the purpose of putting Linux on and playing around. I'm assuming 128 mb ram, and the hard drive is like 30 gigs.

Yep. One of the dumbest aspects of Ubuntu is that you need 192 MB to install using the graphical installer, or you've got to dig up the alternate CD. I don't know why they don't just put the textmode installer on the regular disc.

Grabulon
Jul 25, 2003

A question regarding vsftpd.

Let's say I have a directory /home/grabulon/photos with several subdirectories.
I simply want the users to start there and only be allowed to read from "photos" and its subdirs.

What's the best way to do this?

Alowishus
Jan 8, 2002

My name is Mud

Grabulon posted:

Let's say I have a directory /home/grabulon/photos with several subdirectories.
I simply want the users to start there and only be allowed to read from "photos" and its subdirs.

What's the best way to do this?
Set grabulon's home directory to /home/grabulon/photos and then enable chroot_local_user in vsftpd.

There are fancier ways as well, look at the chroot_list_enable (and matching chroot_list_file) settings, as well as passwd_chroot_enable for more pathing options.

PsychoCowboy
Dec 18, 2001

I've just installed and am running xfce 4.3.99.1 on xubuntu 6.10 and none of the desktop icons are showing up, File Manger/Home and so on. What can i do to fix this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIERARCHY OF WEEDZ
Aug 1, 2005

Question:

I have a directory with dozens of subdirectories containing a certain file type. I want to grep the entire directory structure for a certain word, but there are binary files I want to avoid searching. Normally I would do something like `grep -Hirn word *.ext', but the root directory doesn't contain a file with a .ext extension, so the grep stops in the root directory and is not recursive. Is there any way to fix this?

EDIT: Nevermind found it!

HIERARCHY OF WEEDZ fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Mar 31, 2007