Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

PsychoCowboy posted:

I've just installed and am running xfce 4.3.99.1 on xubuntu 6.10 and none of the desktop icons are showing up, File Manger/Home and so on. What can i do to fix this?

Menu > Settings > Desktop Settings > Behavior tab > Desktop Icons dropdown box

Honestly, this should be the default.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grabulon
Jul 25, 2003

Alowishus posted:

Set grabulon's home directory to /home/grabulon/photos and then enable chroot_local_user in vsftpd.

There are fancier ways as well, look at the chroot_list_enable (and matching chroot_list_file) settings, as well as passwd_chroot_enable for more pathing options.

But doesn't this mean that they have to login as "grabulon"? I want to create new users with access to my home directory...

Alowishus
Jan 8, 2002

My name is Mud

Grabulon posted:

But doesn't this mean that they have to login as "grabulon"? I want to create new users with access to my home directory...
Oh well you could create more users who also have /home/grabulon/photos as their home directories. You'd need to make sure they had rights to the files in there, probably by making a group.

Give us some more specifics about what you're trying to do and hopefully we can give you better guidance.

Carabus
Sep 30, 2002

Booya.
Anyone know how to get multiple X servers working? Whenever I try startx -- :1 it works on Alt-Ctl-F8 but when I switch elsewhere and back I just see the startup log.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

What's the command-line way to get system temperature? I remember using a simple command that gave the temp at a few different sensors, but I can't find that command now.

lilbean
Oct 2, 2003

Twinxor posted:

What's the command-line way to get system temperature? I remember using a simple command that gave the temp at a few different sensors, but I can't find that command now.
acpitool -t should do it.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

richyp posted:

Can anyone help me get my Panasonic HD Plasma to work nicely with xorg?

It's native resolution is XGA 1024x768, its 720p native (rectangular pixels make it 16:9 apparently). So far I can get it to work out of the box using Ubuntu Fiesty Fawn Beta's xorg-xserver-via at 1024x768 but there are a few problems with it.

1) The system doesn't think its 16:9, so all videos playing on it are output with a border. I can tell mplayer to use 4:3 which sort of fixes this though.
2) This is the more important and worrying part. If I have a window open and it's not moved for a minute or two, it leaves a residual outline of the contents much like a burn in effect that plasmas tend to suffer from if a stationary image remains there for a long period, but in this case its after a minute or so. It even remains after a reboot but does eventually fade away. Can this be fixed with a different Modeline?

I'm thinking refresh rates but I'm not to familiar with using anything other than a standard CRT with linux.

3) Not TV related, but the system shits itself whenever something tries to use OpenGL. DRI is active and running fine according to the log. But as soon as I attempt to execute glxinfo or any other program that tries to access a GL context the system completely locks up and requires a reset. Again this is with the "via" driver. I compiled the openchrome server as well and it does exactly the same thing. With the Vesa driver I don't get OpenGL support at all.

The system is connected to the TV via a VGA cable and is using the Via X-Server (the motherboard is an EPIA SP12000). The TV is a Panasonic TH42PX60.

Any ideas? Point 3 isn't that important but the video output concerns me.

Anybody got any ideas for the modeline problem?

Grabulon
Jul 25, 2003

Alowishus posted:

Oh well you could create more users who also have /home/grabulon/photos as their home directories. You'd need to make sure they had rights to the files in there, probably by making a group.

Give us some more specifics about what you're trying to do and hopefully we can give you better guidance.

Well I don't know if I can explain it any better, networking and linux are evidently not my strong sides.

But what I was is to let one user (different from me) have access to one folder and its subdirs in my home directory and I want him to be able to download the contents of that folder. No write-access or anything.

Now that I think about it, I actually want him to have access to two different folders. One in my home directory and one on my windows partition (so for example /media/sda1/morephotos). Ideally I'd want it to be like in DC++ when you get someone's file list and you see the folders they share.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
Well, I've been running Ubuntu 7.04 (Feisty) for a bit, and finally did a fresh install of Kubuntu 7.04. I have to say, this one is a big improvement on the KDE side. I wasn't too happy with previous versions of Kubuntu (nothing seemed right, system seemed sluggish) but this version really works well. I'm continually shocked on how well Ubuntu in general has been progressing, as every version just gets better and better. I was impressed enough with Dapper, then again I was impressed with Edgy. However, Feisty doesn't seem like it is as big of a leap, but as far as laptop support goes, everything is top notch.

The only downfall I can see is that the new Xorg 7.2 has some issues with the i810 drivers (for integrated Intel graphics), so things like Beryl and Compiz run slower compared to what was going on in Edgy. I don't like using the 3D desktops for every day use, so it doesn't matter to me, but you might want to keep an eye out for that if you are looking into upgrading.

Every six months Ubuntu really progresses, I'm interested to see where it goes next.

ShortStack
Jan 16, 2006

tinystax
I'm running Kubuntu 6.10 with KDE 3.5.5 and I was wondering if there is a way for me to lock the position on my desktop at which certain windows open. For example I would like new gaim windows to open right next to the buddy list with their bottom edges aligned. Am I able to do this or am I just being overly anal and picky?

I'd go with anal and picky, but linux is made for picky guys like me so v:shobon:v

Edit: A buddy of mine helped me to do this. In case anybody else had the same question, you must right click on the windows title bar and select Configure Window Behavior, then you want to go to Window Specific Settings, select new, click detect and click the window you would like to modify, then go to the geometry tab and select position and you're done!

ShortStack fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Apr 2, 2007

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Looking for a media player that can support 6000+ songs in a playlist, and can submit tracks to last.fm, as well read idv3 tags.

Amarok chuggs on a playlist that's that big. Anyone have any suggestions?

My experience with xmms is that it doesn't read the tags correctly.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

spfdz posted:

Looking for a media player that can support 6000+ songs in a playlist, and can submit tracks to last.fm, as well read idv3 tags.

I just added 7K to my mpd playlist, took about a second. No chugging here. I use a GTK2 client, but there's some Qt ones you can take a look at.

There's a separate daemon client called mpdscribble that will submit info to last.fm

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

sund posted:

I just added 7K to my mpd playlist, took about a second. No chugging here. I use a GTK2 client, but there's some Qt ones you can take a look at.

There's a separate daemon client called mpdscribble that will submit info to last.fm

So wait, mpd = command line player? Seems the mpd website is down, I wante to check screenshots

lilbean
Oct 2, 2003

spfdz posted:

If you configure Amarok with either the Postgresql or MySQL backend it should have no problem with that amount of files (at least I didn't with PSQL).

J Corp
Oct 16, 2006

I risked hypothermia and broken limbs and all I got was this shitty avatar and a severe case of shrinkage
I recently went to college orientation, and one of the big recommendations people in my major had was "learn linux". The girl giving me the tour of my future classrooms was talking about how linux was used quite a bit and it was really difficult for her trying to pick it up while the class was using it.

I've been wanting to learn to use linux for awhile, but I don't have the disk space to install linux on my computer. I have an old Dreamcast kicking around in my closet, and I've read some stuff saying it's possible to install linux on it. I don't really understand the articles too well, but I think I'd be able to figure it out if I put some effort into it.

My question is:
1. Is it worth the hassle?
2. Will I learn how to use linux well?

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

J Corp posted:

I have an old Dreamcast kicking around in my closet, and I've read some stuff saying it's possible to install linux on it.

It is not possible to install Linux on a Dreamcast.

It is possible to run Linux on a Dreamcast.

I would not recommend it as your learning platform. Suck it up and install it big-boy style.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
You can run k/ubuntu off of the live cd, although it's slow. Really you only need about 3 or 4 gigs to install it and have some space to mess around.

Cowboy Mark
Sep 9, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I'm running Suse 10.3 with KDE under VMware and somehow I managed to make eth0 disappear :( I tried starting it with ifup eth0, and ifconfig eth0 <ip> etc, and even tried Yast, which recognises the hardware but still doesn't get it up and running. My linux question is: how do I get eth0 back up in VMware?

Thanks! (and yes, the device is attached and bridged in the emulation layer)

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
Well, I just got a G3 Mac and I don't feel like installing OSX. Is there a distribution of Linux that will run on a G3, and is relatively simple to use (i.e. this is my first time with this)?

un1xl0ser
Aug 23, 2004
Fuck 'em if they can't take a joke.

Phobeste posted:

Well, I just got a G3 Mac and I don't feel like installing OSX. Is there a distribution of Linux that will run on a G3, and is relatively simple to use (i.e. this is my first time with this)?

Ubuntu (Edgy Eft) or Yellow Dog Linux

I would start with Ubuntu for PPC.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

lilbean posted:

If you configure Amarok with either the Postgresql or MySQL backend it should have no problem with that amount of files (at least I didn't with PSQL).

Will it matter if it's on the local machine or should it be on a seperate machine?

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

spfdz posted:

So wait, mpd = command line player? Seems the mpd website is down, I wante to check screenshots

It's Music Player Daemon, debug info is all you'll get on the command line. They have various clients that connect to it to provide command line, gui and web interfaces. There's quite a few clients out there, so if you don't like the look and feel of one, you can switch to another. I'm using Sonata, which is clean but pretty slick. Here's a screenshot ripped off of their webpage:

J Corp
Oct 16, 2006

I risked hypothermia and broken limbs and all I got was this shitty avatar and a severe case of shrinkage

bigperm posted:

You can run k/ubuntu off of the live cd, although it's slow. Really you only need about 3 or 4 gigs to install it and have some space to mess around.

I have approx 1.6 gigs of space after running defrag.

Watson
Oct 28, 2003

J Corp posted:

I have approx 1.6 gigs of space after running defrag.

I did not have much extra space on my hard drive so I bought a second hard drive for cheap from NewEgg and put Ubuntu there. It works great, and it did not even touch my old hard drive.

If you don't want to spend any money you could try DLS, but I have never used it myself.
http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/

Do you know which distro they are using at the University you visited? Just curious.

nihilocrat
Jun 8, 2004

all the hep cats jam to "cat /dev/hda1 > /dev/audio"
^^^ Both of those are good ideas, too...

J Corp posted:

I recently went to college orientation, and one of the big recommendations people in my major had was "learn linux". The girl giving me the tour of my future classrooms was talking about how linux was used quite a bit and it was really difficult for her trying to pick it up while the class was using it.

I've been wanting to learn to use linux for awhile, but I don't have the disk space to install linux on my computer. I have an old Dreamcast kicking around in my closet, and I've read some stuff saying it's possible to install linux on it. I don't really understand the articles too well, but I think I'd be able to figure it out if I put some effort into it.

My question is:
1. Is it worth the hassle?
2. Will I learn how to use linux well?

I'm being dead serious here, go to Goodwill or your local university and see if you can't get an old computer from the turn of the century. It doesn't really need anything beyond a few gigs of hard drive space and, if you want to use standard Ubuntu, a decent amount of RAM (I forget the specifics). I've been able to get a P3 450mhz with 256mb of RAM running nicely for demonstration purposes (just don't expect to open up 40 tabs in Firefox without stupid amounts of swapping). I even got a P1 120mhz with a 500mb hard drive(!) running Debian with a barebones X11/fluxbox setup and a few rudimentary apps. You can even just combine it with the advice above and just salvage the harddrive. For demo purposes I see more than 5-10gig superfluous.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."
I am a new Linux convert, and I am having serious problems finding a graphics card driver. I am using Ubuntu, but the driver it installs doesn't support my card. In fact, my card isn't even listed on the official driver list. (For Windows OR Linux) I am using a Radeon Xpress 1100. If I am unable to find proprietary drivers, I know there are supposedly a couple choices for 3rd party/open source drivers, so which would you reccomend? Do Either support my card?

Thank you for your time, as I am still unexperienced and I was unable to get any information on this on my own

juggalol
Nov 28, 2004

Rock For Sustainable Capitalism
For a long time, I've always used the "swap partition should be twice the amount of RAM populated in the system" rule when defining disk partitions for a new install.

I've recently put together a new machine and while it only has 2GB of RAM at the moment, I plan on upgrading it to either 4GB or 8GB in the next couple of months.

Assuming that I'll eventually load it up to 8GB (motherboard's max), would it really be necessary to define a 16GB swap partition? It seems like a full 16GB of disk space for the swap partition is overkill.

Am I correct in this thinking? And if so, what would be a more reasonable choice? I was thinking that 4GB sounds like a decent choice, but I'm just pulling that out of thin air.

Edit:

Enelysios posted:

I am a new Linux convert, and I am having serious problems finding a graphics card driver. I am using Ubuntu, but the driver it installs doesn't support my card. In fact, my card isn't even listed on the official driver list. (For Windows OR Linux) I am using a Radeon Xpress 1100. If I am unable to find proprietary drivers, I know there are supposedly a couple choices for 3rd party/open source drivers, so which would you reccomend? Do Either support my card?

Thank you for your time, as I am still unexperienced and I was unable to get any information on this on my own

I checked the ATI site, and as you mentioned I don't see the Radeon Xpress 1100 listed specifically. The closest match I could find was the Radeon Xpress 1250, which is listed as an on-board device. Is the 1100 also a motherboard-integrated device? Either way, I would grab the driver from http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.html and download/install it. The ATI installer for Linux isn't too difficult to use, it has a GUI option and you should be able to get by with the default options without too much hassle.

As for the third party/open source drivers, they most likely came with your Ubuntu installation. The name for the driver should either be "radeon" or "ati". To switch the driver, you'll need to edit your X.Org config (unless Ubuntu has some kind of a front-end for doing it -- I don't know, I've never used Ubuntu). Do the following:

1) Open a terminal.
2) run su and type your root password. (don't actually type 'run', just the stuff in bold)
3) modprobe radeon
If step #3 didn't give you any error messages (such as "module not found"), then proceed.
4) cd /etc/X11/
5) cp xorg.conf xorg.conf.backup
6) nano xorg.conf

Nano will open. It's an ncurses-based text editor. It's quick, it's easy. Hit control+W to search for text. Enter vesa and press enter. It should find a line of text that looks similar to

Driver "vesa"

Replace the word vesa with radeon.

Press control+X to exit. It'll ask you if you want to save the file, hit 'y' for yes.

Run 'reboot' from the root prompt (there are ways to apply the changes without having to reboot, but for a beginner this will be the easiest way).

Hope that helps you.

juggalol fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Apr 3, 2007

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

spfdz posted:

Will it matter if it's on the local machine or should it be on a seperate machine?

Local machine will be faster obviously but it doesn't matter.

Grey Ghost
Nov 25, 2005

If you stare into the Abyss long enough the Abyss stares back at you.

juggalol posted:

Swap stuff

well I'm on my laptop that has a gig of ram and a swap partition about 450MB in size and it (the swap) has never been touched. I'm pretty sure the old school swap rules don't apply anymore since we count RAM in gigs these days rather than just a few megs.

Just set it to 512 or even 128MB and you should be fine.

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005
I FOR ONE WELCOME OUR NEW STUPID FUCKING CATCHPHRASE OVERLORDS

Digital Drifter posted:

well I'm on my laptop that has a gig of ram and a swap partition about 450MB in size and it (the swap) has never been touched. I'm pretty sure the old school swap rules don't apply anymore since we count RAM in gigs these days rather than just a few megs.

Just set it to 512 or even 128MB and you should be fine.

I concur. For most modern computers with 1GB+ of ram a 2GB swap file/partition will be more than sufficient and will probably hardly ever get any use. There is just no logical reason to scale up the swap size along with the memory size.

juggalol
Nov 28, 2004

Rock For Sustainable Capitalism

dfn_doe posted:

There is just no logical reason to scale up the swap size along with the memory size.

J Corp
Oct 16, 2006

Watson posted:

Do you know which distro they are using at the University you visited? Just curious.

Fedora.

Mr. DNA
Aug 9, 2004

Megatronics?
I have a directory that contains several hundred other directories and in each is a handful of files of the same type. What is the best way to get all the files in the child directories into the parent? I'm using ubuntu, if that matters.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Mr. DNA posted:

I have a directory that contains several hundred other directories and in each is a handful of files of the same type. What is the best way to get all the files in the child directories into the parent? I'm using ubuntu, if that matters.

code:
find /parent -name "*.type" -exec mv -i {} /parent /;
This is a job for 'find', which is a horribly complicated but really useful utility. This command recursively finds all files under /parent that match the pattern "*.type", and then moves the matching files to /parent.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

juggalol posted:

For a long time, I've always used the "swap partition should be twice the amount of RAM populated in the system" rule when defining disk partitions for a new install.

I've recently put together a new machine and while it only has 2GB of RAM at the moment, I plan on upgrading it to either 4GB or 8GB in the next couple of months.

Assuming that I'll eventually load it up to 8GB (motherboard's max), would it really be necessary to define a 16GB swap partition? It seems like a full 16GB of disk space for the swap partition is overkill.

Am I correct in this thinking? And if so, what would be a more reasonable choice? I was thinking that 4GB sounds like a decent choice, but I'm just pulling that out of thin air.

I'll grant that a 16GB swap sounds pretty pointless, but what are you getting out of that 8GB? At this time, a program that expands to fill all that space seems either really esoteric (processing huge scientific datasets?) or just badly designed. And if you are running something that really uses all that much memory, you should make sure you have enough swap space for a worst-case scenario.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."

juggalol posted:

I'll try the 1250 (yes, the 1100 is integrated as well) and if that doesn't work out I will follow your guide. Thanks a ton :D

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
I am interested in learning more about linux. I know the basics of installing it, compiling, etc etc. Basically I can run a desktop for my needs. I'm wanting to learn enough that I could be a systems administrator for a small company in linux.

What I want to know is what I should do for training and which certifications I should get and how to get experience.

Thank you

Mr. DNA
Aug 9, 2004

Megatronics?

Twinxor posted:

code:
find /parent -name "*.type" -exec mv -i {} /parent /;
This is a job for 'find', which is a horribly complicated but really useful utility. This command recursively finds all files under /parent that match the pattern "*.type", and then moves the matching files to /parent.

That did the job beautifully. Thanks!

ExileStrife
Sep 12, 2004

Happy birthday to you!
Happy birthday to you!
I'm using a laptop with Gentoo 2.6.17 to play a game, but the harddrive won't stay spinning. The game constantly hangs while the hard drive spins down, only to spin up again a few seconds later.

I've messed with everything I could in the very limited bios of the laptop with the hopes of turning off all 'power saving' features that might encourage it to kill the HD as fast as possible, but even on AC power, it doesn't seem to change.

Googling this only returns people wanting to -turn off- their hard drive when not in use. My laptop is already very good at that. :(

Is there a clever way (maybe a program already exists) to keep the hard drive spinning while the game is going, or at least a manually toggleable solution?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Ghost
Nov 25, 2005

If you stare into the Abyss long enough the Abyss stares back at you.

ExileStrife posted:

I'm using a laptop with Gentoo 2.6.17 to play a game, but the harddrive won't stay spinning. The game constantly hangs while the hard drive spins down, only to spin up again a few seconds later.

I've messed with everything I could in the very limited bios of the laptop with the hopes of turning off all 'power saving' features that might encourage it to kill the HD as fast as possible, but even on AC power, it doesn't seem to change.

Googling this only returns people wanting to -turn off- their hard drive when not in use. My laptop is already very good at that. :(

Is there a clever way (maybe a program already exists) to keep the hard drive spinning while the game is going, or at least a manually toggleable solution?

hdparm -S0 /dev/hda should disable the drive spin down feature