Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

-BigEvil- posted:

I've been meaning to pick up Elevator to the Gallows forever. Not really sure why I haven't.

Because you have no loving money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish
Just got Videodrome in the mail :shlick:

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

My face was just rocked by Hard Boiled. That movie is 100% concentrated :awesome:. Holy poo poo.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.

Slackerish posted:

Just got Videodrome in the mail :shlick:

Enjoy. Long live the new flesh and all that jazz. Wait! That's a strangely appropriate emote for that movie...

Alain Delon
Oct 28, 2004

how strange it is to be anything at all

baronanglish posted:

Have you seen Murmur of the Heart? I loved the other two films in the set, so I'm considering buying this as well.

only seen Elevator to the Gallows... I will let you know

Nevergirls
Jul 4, 2004

It's not right living this way, not letting others know what's true and what's false.
I wholeheartedly recommend . :)

slayn666 posted:

My face was just rocked by Hard Boiled. That movie is 100% concentrated :awesome:. Holy poo poo.

I ended up getting a "NOT FOR RENTAL" disc from Netflix that had four different Chinese dialect dubs and error-filled English subtitling. What joy.

What bugged me more was that he was so noodly-armed during the iconic stairway descent. :mad:

Ed: what a grammatical difference a word can make

Nevergirls fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Apr 1, 2007

MatrixSchmatrix
Jul 1, 2006

slayn666 posted:

John Woo makes the best incredibly gay action movies. Also, the whole hospital sequence is pretty much the best thing ever.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I just placed an order for The Seventh Seal (how did I go this long without owning this one?}, Le samouraï, and The Sword of Doom. Next week will be a good week :).

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

My fiance gave me this for our anniversary :woop:. I just finished watching The Killing of a Chinese Bookie, and while it was nothing like I expected from the description, it was still an excellent movie.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I got Hard Boiled and The Killer in the mail. Just wanted to show them to you guys to help confirm that they're authentic. Both have the NIMBUS logo on the underside of the disc.

Both of the inner circles are mirror silver:

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

slayn666 posted:

My fiance gave me this for our anniversary :woop:. I just finished watching The Killing of a Chinese Bookie, and while it was nothing like I expected from the description, it was still an excellent movie.

Which cut of it?

And for that matter, which cut is "better?"

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

caiman posted:

I got Hard Boiled and The Killer in the mail. Just wanted to show them to you guys to help confirm that they're authentic. Both have the NIMBUS logo on the underside of the disc.

So long as the NIMBUS logo looks like this, you should be good to go.

Slackerish posted:

Which cut of it?

I watched Cassavetes' original cut. I'll go back to the shorter cut sometime this week, after I finish watching the rest of the movies. To be honest, I can't see the shorter version being better; I'm at a loss to figure out how he cut so much out. Sure, there are one or two very, very short scenes I could see the movie removing with little or no ill effect, but on the whole, every scene builds on the ones before it, and removing any one of them is going to wreck the narrative.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

slayn666 posted:

So long as the NIMBUS logo looks like this, you should be good to go.

Sweet. Looks like they're legit.

Did you ever end up finding a legit copy of The Killer?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

caiman posted:

Sweet. Looks like they're legit.

Did you ever end up finding a legit copy of The Killer?

Yep, a fellow goon sold me his copy. My lust for OOP Criterions is sated (for the moment).

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.

slayn666 posted:

Yep, a fellow goon sold me his copy. My lust for OOP Criterions is sated (for the moment).

That's always the problem with Criterion. You find what you want and think are satisfied... until you browse Ebay or this here fine forum.

Phalex
May 14, 2002

slayn666 posted:

I envy you, sir. I gave up my quest for the Coveted Killer Criterion many years ago after searching for many more.

Alain Delon
Oct 28, 2004

Slackerish posted:

Which cut of it?

the first cut is far superior! not sure which year it is but the one w/ the longer running time.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Nothing new there, but they finally made a website for Eclipse.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005

FitFortDanga posted:

Nothing new there, but they finally made a website for Eclipse.

Hmm, I wished that they listed details on transfers since I like reading about it on the regular Criterions.

Also, looks like The Last Emperor, The Hit, Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence, and Insignificance will all get Criterions! At the same time, bare-bones editions will be released from Image Entertainment. http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=109706&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=983645&highlight=

Og Oggilby fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Apr 12, 2007

Alain Delon
Oct 28, 2004

3 Films by Louis Malle came the other day..

so far I have watched Lacombe, Lucien & au revoir les enfants

amazing blind buy

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

Alain Delon posted:

3 Films by Louis Malle came the other day..

so far I have watched Lacombe, Lucien & au revoir les enfants

amazing blind buy

Lacombe, Lucien just felt flat to me.

I mean, I know its supposed to be that way, but I just couldn't stand how it was done.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

The Sword of Doom is about the best samurai movie I've seen. It's a drat shame the sequel was never made.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

July titles!

#392-395: THREE FILMS BY HIROSHI TESHIGAHARA

* SPECIAL FOUR-DISC SET FEATURES INCLUDE:
* New, restored high-definition digital transfers
* Video essays on all three films by critic and festival programmer James Quandt
* Four short films by Hiroshi Teshigahara: Hokusai (1953), Ikebana (1956), Tokyo 1958 (1958), and Ako/White Morning (1963)
* A new documentary about the working relationship beween Teshigahara and Kobo Abe, including interviews with Japanese-film scholars Donald Richie and Tadao Sato
* PLUS: A booklet featuring essays by James Quandt, Howard Hampton, Audie Bock, and Peter Grilli and Max Tessier’s 1964 interview with Teshigahara

Very exciting, and those covers are beautiful. I've only seen Woman in the Dunes, but it's awesome. I may blind-buy this.

More to come, gimme a sec...

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

#396 - ACE IN THE HOLE

* New, restored high-definition digital transfer
* Audio commentary by film scholar Neil Sinyard
* Portrait of a "60% Perfect Man": Billy Wilder, a 1980 documentary featuring in-depth interviews with Wilder by film critic Michel Ciment
* Excerpts from a 1986 appearance by Wilder at the American Film Institute
* Excerpts from an audio interview with co-screenwriter Walter Newman
* Theatrical trailer
* PLUS: A booklet featuring new essays by film critic Molly Haskell and filmmaker Guy Maddin

Wilder is hit-or-miss with me, but I'll certainly give this a rental. Criterion's new design is really intrusive on this cover.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

#397 - IVAN'S CHILDHOOD

* Video appreciation of filmmaker Andrei Tarkovsky and Ivan’s Childhood, featuring Vida T. Johnson, coauthor of The Films of Andrei Tarkovsky: A Visual Fugue New video interviews with cinematographer Vadim Yusov and actor Nikolai Burlyaev
* New and improved English subtitle translation
* PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film scholar Dina Iordanova and new translations, by Robert Bird, of "Between Two Films," Andrei Tarkovsky’s essay about Ivan’s Childhood, and "Ivan’s Willow," a poem by the director's father, Arseny Tarkovsky

Didn't see this one coming. Mildly interested in this one, but again, Tarkovsky is hit-or-miss.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

#398 - LES ENFANTS TERRIBLES

* Audio commentary by writer, film critic, and journalist Gilbert Adair
* Interviews with producer Carole Weisweiller, actors Nicole Stéphane and Jacques eBrnard, and assistant director Claude Pinoteau
* Around Jean Cocteau (2003), a short video by filmmaker discussing Cocteau and Melville's working relationship
* Theatrical trailer
* Gallery of behind-the-scenes stills
* PLUS: A booklet featuring a new essay by critic Gary Indiana and an excerpt from Rui Nogueira’s Melville on Melville

Cocteau and Melville? Sign me up. Nice feature set too.

Teshigahara, Wilder, Tarkovsky, and Melville. Any way you slice it, that's a killer month for Criterion.

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Apr 17, 2007

Alain Delon
Oct 28, 2004

more Melville when Army of Shadows isn't even out yet!

I love you criterion!

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
WOMAN IN THE DUNES!!!!

Oh man, I'm so excited about that one. I might get the boxset if the others are anywhere near as good as WITD.

Horseface
Jun 29, 2003

Please put your hands together for Homosexuals the Gorilla!

FitFortDanga posted:

#397 - IVAN'S CHILDHOOD

Dear god, I want this for the cover alone.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

Finally Ivan's Childhood. Criterion first announced it officially like three years ago?

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

FitFortDanga posted:

#396 - ACE IN THE HOLE

Wilder is hit-or-miss with me, but I'll certainly give this a rental. Criterion's new design is really intrusive on this cover.

Yeah, this cover sucks balls. The movie itself is alright-- it's really a genre that Hollywood went to the well one too many times with over the years-- but it has some great moments. I'm going to pick it up, but just for completion's sake.

Why is Criterion so obsessed with doing black and white covers lately? :(

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
That's a pretty amazing month. Ace in the Hole is the big prize for me, but I also really want to see Woman in the Dunes, Face of Another, Ivan's Childhood, and Les Enfants terribles. Awesome.

EDIT: Pitfall sounds amazing. So yeah every July release looks completely awesome. This may be the best month yet.

Criminal Minded fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Apr 17, 2007

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

Ohhhhhhhhh I'm so excited for Les Enfants Terribles. I've been looking forward to that one for a long time, so this news is awesome.

I don't really know anything about Ivan's Childhood, but Tarkovsky and that cover may entice me into the blind buy.

In non related news, I just found out that a Janus print of Beauty and the Beast is playing here next Sunday, I can not wait. I actually have the disc, but haven't had time to watch it yet, so I bet seeing it on 35mm is going to be amazing.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005

(Oh, Criterion Forum speculates it's The Threepenny Opera by G.W. Pabst)

Og Oggilby fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Apr 18, 2007

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
I can't tell you how excited I am that Criterion is finally releasing Ivan's Childhood. It's the only Tarkovsky feature I've yet to see so I'm glad for this opportunity. Maybe they can pry the rights to The Sacrifice from Kino and give that film a proper transfer.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Also in the newsletter: Tokyo Olympiad is going out of print. You may think you wouldn't like a 3-hour documentary about the Olympics, but Kon Ichikawa makes it a thoroughly compelling experience.

Exree
Oct 7, 2000

FitFortDanga posted:

#397 - IVAN'S CHILDHOOD

* Video appreciation of filmmaker Andrei Tarkovsky and Ivan’s Childhood, featuring Vida T. Johnson, coauthor of The Films of Andrei Tarkovsky: A Visual Fugue New video interviews with cinematographer Vadim Yusov and actor Nikolai Burlyaev
* New and improved English subtitle translation
* PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film scholar Dina Iordanova and new translations, by Robert Bird, of "Between Two Films," Andrei Tarkovsky’s essay about Ivan’s Childhood, and "Ivan’s Willow," a poem by the director's father, Arseny Tarkovsky

Didn't see this one coming. Mildly interested in this one, but again, Tarkovsky is hit-or-miss.

YESSSSSSSSSSSS

I was just thinking yesterday about how this was the only of his feature films unavailable on region 1. So happy...

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

FitFortDanga posted:

Also in the newsletter: Tokyo Olympiad is going out of print. You may think you wouldn't like a 3-hour documentary about the Olympics, but Kon Ichikawa makes it a thoroughly compelling experience.

Tokyo Olympiad is really excellent, sad to see it go. At least I own a copy.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
Kind of lowbrow, but I have Spinal Tap and Hard Boiled and they are two of my favorite possessions. The commentary tracks (John Woo on Hard Boiled, Guest/Shearer/Mckean on Spinal Tap) are some of the best I've ever heard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

It feels so 80's or early 90's to be political.
Pretty decent deal going on at DVD Planet right now: F for Fake, The Honeymoon Killers, General Idi Amin Dada, and a hat for 64.95.

http://www.dvdplanet.com/detailsjanus.cfm?info=DVD001336

The gimmick here is that the topics of all of these movies have recently been addressed again in new movies (The Hoax, Lonely Hearts, and The Last King of Scotland, respectively). It works out to about 22 bucks a movie, and you get a hat, so if you're interested in at least two of the films it's probably worth it to you. I'm more or less getting it because I just saw F for Fake and loved it, and blind buying the other two.

Edit: It seems to be going in and out of stock, but it says it's in stock now and it let me place my order, so who knows. I also used the google checkout thing, so I ended up getting the package with 2 day shipping for 60 bucks.

FirstCongoWar fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 27, 2007