Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

swalk
Nov 20, 2004
bucka blaow
I have a dedicated server with 5 IPs. Whenever I SSH in under my user account, the IP that "bash" or my ssh session uses is *.54, but when another user logs in they get a different IP. This seems to be consistent because I have always gotten .54

Does someone know how this IP binding works and if it's possible to change it?

Any program that I run from my bash session uses the *.54 IP but I need to change it to another one.

edit: Using Debian Stable for reference and I'm talking about external IPs.

swalk fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Apr 13, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

permanoob
Sep 28, 2004

Yeah it's a lot like that.
Not sure if this needed it's own thread or if you guys would be ok with it being asked here but yah. I've got FreeBSD on my laptop and I need to put in the drivers fot the Nvidia card it has. There's an Nvidia driver port but it's not working. Neither is just just downloading the binaries from Nvidia and doing a make install. I get the following error:

quote:

"/usr/share/mk/bsd.kmod.mk", line 12: "can't find kernel source tree"
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/x11/nvidia-driver/work/NVIDIA-FreeBSD-x86-1.0-8776.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/x11/nvidia-driver.

I've read up on it and I'm seeing that I need to install a kernel-source package. I can't find any reference to this anywhere really. Any help?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

thamaht posted:

I'm debating whether or not to install and try to fix it up, or wait for FeistyFawn.

Since Fiesty comes out in like 3 days, wait for it since Fiesty is greatly improved.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

You can get builds of Feisty now, and just upgrade them to the release version when it comes out. They aren't guaranteed to work, but I dist-upgraded from edgy without incident, and I'd expect very little to be broken this close to release. The Release Candidate ISO will be out in the next few days, if you want something official.

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

[-4] Flaw: Heart Broken - Tehk is extremely lonely. The Gay Empire's ultimate weapon finds it hard to have time for love.

Twinxor posted:

You can get builds of Feisty now, and just upgrade them to the release version when it comes out. They aren't guaranteed to work, but I dist-upgraded from edgy without incident, and I'd expect very little to be broken this close to release. The Release Candidate ISO will be out in the next few days, if you want something official.

I wouldn't today. The 14.23 and 15.24 Kernels mess with some sata controllers(lock up at boot). They are going to have the 15.25 kernel up in like 8 hours(area depending). The RC was delayed because of this.

thenameseli
Sep 6, 2006

permanoob posted:

I've read up on it and I'm seeing that I need to install a kernel-source package. I can't find any reference to this anywhere really. Any help?

You should read this chapter in the FreeBSD handbook, on kernel configuration and compilation: http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/kernelconfig.html

permanoob
Sep 28, 2004

Yeah it's a lot like that.

thenameseli posted:

You should read this chapter in the FreeBSD handbook, on kernel configuration and compilation: http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/kernelconfig.html

And now I know. Thanks a ton.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

tehk posted:

I wouldn't today. The 14.23 and 15.24 Kernels mess with some sata controllers(lock up at boot). They are going to have the 15.25 kernel up in like 8 hours(area depending). The RC was delayed because of this.

Heh, I was trying to do a regular apt-get upgrade today and I wasn't able to get the kernel image because I kept getting a 403. Guess that was on purpose.

Ephemerous
Jul 31, 2003

Twinxor posted:

I went ahead and got the most recent kubuntu [7.04-beta], I figured if it sucks, it should be better soon. Besides, if this doesn't work pretty well, I'll likely be putting it off to summer, since finals are looming.

tehk posted:

Good thing I don't have sata! :D

Cartesian Cogito
Mar 1, 2005

Getting a weird error trying to start up Tomboy. Here is the output when trying to start it from the command line:

quote:

nick@ubuntu:~$ tomboy
[DEBUG]: NoteManager created with note path "/home/nick/.tomboy".

Unhandled Exception: System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The per-user inotify watches limit of 8192 has been reached. If you're experiencing problems with your application, increase that limit in /proc/sys/fs/inotify/max_user_watches.
at System.IO.InotifyWatcher.StartMonitoringDirectory (System.IO.InotifyData data, Boolean justcreated) [0x00000]
at System.IO.InotifyWatcher.StartDispatching (System.IO.FileSystemWatcher fsw) [0x00000]
at System.IO.FileSystemWatcher.Start () [0x00000]
at System.IO.FileSystemWatcher.set_EnableRaisingEvents (Boolean value) [0x00000]
at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.IO.FileSystemWatcher:set_EnableRaisingEvents (bool)
at Tomboy.PluginManager..ctor (System.String plugins_dir) [0x00000]
at Tomboy.NoteManager.CreatePluginManager () [0x00000]
at Tomboy.NoteManager..ctor (System.String directory, System.String backup_directory) [0x00000]
at Tomboy.NoteManager..ctor (System.String directory) [0x00000]
at Tomboy.Tomboy.Main (System.String[] args) [0x00000]

I realise it tells me to alter something but I don't know what this actually means, exactly how to do it and what repercussions this might have for the rest of the system or even why I've reached this limit.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

After restoring from suspend mode, I always need to run 'sudo ifdown eth1 && sudo ifup eth1' to reassociate my wireless card with the AP. Is there a way to automatically run this upon getting back from suspend? I suppose GNOME has a script that runs when restoring from suspend handle this, but I don't really know anything about the power management system. This is on Ubuntu 7.04.

Postal
Aug 9, 2003

Don't make me go postal!
I'm running Fedora 6 with three NICs and I'm having a little trouble bonding two of them. Interface eth0 is the normal, connected to the switch line. Interfaces eth1 and eth2 are each taking a line from a network tap (homebrew passive network tap) that sits between my DSL adapter and router. eth1 is taking the receive side and eth2 is taking the transmit side. I want to bond these for easier use in Snort (single interface vs multiple).

Starting from scratch everything went well. I followed the instructions at http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/linux-bond-or-team-multiple-network-interfaces-nic-into-single-interface.html and everything worked fine the first time. The only difference was when I did it then, I issued the command "modprobe bonding", which I didn't not do during the next boot (obviously). So I have the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-bond0 created, edited ifcfg-eth1 and -eth2, and edited /etc/modprobe.conf just as the instructions said. I ran the "modprobe bonding" command, then "service network restart" and it was all great. I reboot the machine and on boot I get down to the network startup. It starts by attempting to enslave eth1 to bond0, but then I get:

code:
asix device eth1 does not seem to be present, delaying initialization
Then I get an OK on enslaving eth2 to bond0.

I've had a mix of either eth1 or eth2 "not being present". If it helps any, eth1 is the on-board NIC on the motherboard. eth2 is a USB NIC. The both work separately if I set it up that way. I set it up separately at first and checked the lines with Ethereal and saw plenty of traffic flowing. I just can't get the bond interface to work correctly.

Any suggestions? If needed I can post my ifcfg and modprobe.conf files.

RollerBob
Apr 26, 2005

just... fuck you
Will I be able to use the TV-Out on my RADEON X800XT in Ubuntu? This is the only thing holding me back to install it. I use the tv-out a lot, since I watch a lot of DVDs on my PC.

rookieone
May 25, 2004

A small town never forgets

RollerBob posted:

Will I be able to use the TV-Out on my RADEON X800XT in Ubuntu? This is the only thing holding me back to install it. I use the tv-out a lot, since I watch a lot of DVDs on my PC.

It's not Ubuntu's fault that ATI releases such lovely drivers, their linux drivers are basically a joke.
You should try it with a LiveCD maybe. One of the reasons I went with Nvidia is that they have useful, if closed source (but who cares except for the hardcore linux nerds) drivers and a functioning control panel.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Would someone be willing to give me a crash course in compiling and running a c program in KDE? I've got the latest release running, a program.c and makefile files(not written by me), but I can't seem to figure out how to get them up and running. It's been a long time time programming 101 and even then I only got my feet wet in java. I think I'm using the cc99 command for compiling in KDE, although I must be doing something wrong since the program kicks out a bunch of errors when compiling. If there's an easier way to do this than the KDE compiler someone please let me know. Could someone just write up a quick how-to, if that's even possible?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

SnatchRabbit posted:

Would someone be willing to give me a crash course in compiling and running a c program in KDE? I've got the latest release running, a program.c and makefile files(not written by me), but I can't seem to figure out how to get them up and running. It's been a long time time programming 101 and even then I only got my feet wet in java. I think I'm using the cc99 command for compiling in KDE, although I must be doing something wrong since the program kicks out a bunch of errors when compiling. If there's an easier way to do this than the KDE compiler someone please let me know. Could someone just write up a quick how-to, if that's even possible?

KDE doesn't have anything to do with compiling. Linux systems generally use the GCC compiler, which is presumably what you have - c99 is just a frontend to the compiler which is used for compiling C programs. But if you have a makefile, don't run the compiler directly - the makefile contains commands for intelligently compiling the program based on the environment. Try just running 'make' in the appropriate folder - you might have to run 'make install' to install the binary.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
Also, ubuntu doesn't ship with development tools. Make sure you have them. The quickest way is via the "build-essential" meta-package: apt-get install build-essential.

[edit] durrr, you're running c99, you have dev tools. What happens when you type 'make' ?

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005
I FOR ONE WELCOME OUR NEW STUPID FUCKING CATCHPHRASE OVERLORDS

Postal posted:

I'm running Fedora 6 with three NICs and I'm having a little trouble bonding two of them. Interface eth0 is the normal, connected to the switch line. Interfaces eth1 and eth2 are each taking a line from a network tap (homebrew passive network tap) that sits between my DSL adapter and router. eth1 is taking the receive side and eth2 is taking the transmit side. I want to bond these for easier use in Snort (single interface vs multiple).
:words:

I'm curious what exactly you hope to accomplish with this setup. This sounds like an entirely overly complicated network setup. What could there possibly be to gain by splitting your upstream and downstream traffic across two bonded nics and then uplinking them to a router which goes to a connection which cannot possible under even the best circumstances come close to saturating even a single 100fdx nic?

Is this a purely academic pursuit? or is there something I'm missing entirely?

Postal
Aug 9, 2003

Don't make me go postal!

dfn_doe posted:

I'm curious what exactly you hope to accomplish with this setup. This sounds like an entirely overly complicated network setup. What could there possibly be to gain by splitting your upstream and downstream traffic across two bonded nics and then uplinking them to a router which goes to a connection which cannot possible under even the best circumstances come close to saturating even a single 100fdx nic?

Is this a purely academic pursuit? or is there something I'm missing entirely?

I think you have it backwards. I'm tapping the DSL to Router connection with a homebuilt passive tap. I'm feed that into the Fedora machine and monitoring it with Snort. But it is purely academic. I'm not really worried about people on my network. I'm just trying to learn and explore. I'm not splitting the upstream and downstream because I want to. It's the only way I could find to build a tap. If I could mirror/SPAN a port on my router/switch I'd do it that way. If you have a solution for doing that on DD-WRT, I'm all ears.

Basically, I want a way to realistically play with Snort, Ethereal, OSSIM and other network security tools on my local network. So far, this is the only way I've found to get all traffic on my network.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

I have recently setup a linux server using centos 4.4 and put software raid 1 on it. This was a test server. Now I am going to move it to live, and I am doing a clean install of centos 5 on it. When I go to repartition the raid drives, it only shows the raid 1 setup i created in 4.4. How do I break the raid so that I can reconfigure it for the new system?

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo

fischtick posted:

Also, ubuntu doesn't ship with development tools. Make sure you have them. The quickest way is via the "build-essential" meta-package: apt-get install build-essential.

[edit] durrr, you're running c99, you have dev tools. What happens when you type 'make' ?

I get a series of errors with my c program to the effect of "warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function 'strlen'"

GeneralZod
May 28, 2003

Kneel before Zod!
Grimey Drawer

SnatchRabbit posted:

I get a series of errors with my c program to the effect of "warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function 'strlen'"

Post program.c and full error log, please :)

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo

GeneralZod posted:

Post program.c and full error log, please :)

program.c:
http://www.mediafire.com/?ehzrozm0aam

knoppix@Knoppix:~$ cd /media/sdb1/program
knoppix@Knoppix:/media/sdb1/program$ make
gcc -Iinclude -W -g3 -lprogram src/program.c -o program
src/program.c:29:33: error: program/program.h: No such file or directory
src/program.c:30:27: error: program/hci.h: No such file or directory
src/program.c:31:31: error: program/hci_lib.h: No such file or directory
src/program.c:32:30: error: program/rfcomm.h: No such file or directory
src/program.c: In function 'parse_rw':
src/program.c:39: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function 'strchr'
src/program.c: In function 'program':
src/program.c:146: error: 'HCI_UP' undeclared (first use in this function)
src/program.c:146: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
src/program.c:146: error: for each function it appears in.)
src/program.c:152: error: 'BTPROTO_RFCOMM' undeclared (first use in this function)
src/program.c: In function 'bt_get_remote_name':
src/program.c:190: error: storage size of 'cr' isn't known
src/program.c:193: error: 'bdaddr_t' undeclared (first use in this function)
src/program.c:193: error: expected ';' before 'bdaddr'
src/program.c:201: error: 'bdaddr' undeclared (first use in this function)
src/program.c:203: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function 'memcpy'
src/program.c:204: error: 'ACL_LINK' undeclared (first use in this function)
src/program.c:206: error: 'HCIGETCONNINFO' undeclared (first use in this function)
src/program.c:208: error: 'HCI_DM1' undeclared (first use in this function)
src/program.c:208: error: 'HCI_DH1' undeclared (first use in this function)
src/program.c:223: error: 'HCI_OE_USER_ENDED_CONNECTION' undeclared (first use in this function)
src/program.c: In function 'rfcomm_read':
src/program.c:251: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function 'strlen'
src/program.c: In function 'bt_rfcomm':
src/program.c:265: error: storage size of 'req' isn't known
src/program.c:267: error: 'bdaddr_t' undeclared (first use in this function)
src/program.c:267: error: expected ';' before 'bdaddr'
src/program.c:276: error: 'bdaddr' undeclared (first use in this function)
src/program.c:278: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function 'memset'
src/program.c:284: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function 'memcpy'
src/program.c:284: error: 'BDADDR_ANY' undeclared (first use in this function)
src/program.c:287: error: 'RFCOMMCREATEDEV' undeclared (first use in this function)
src/program.c: In function 'custom_cmd':
src/program.c:382: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function 'strstr'
src/program.c:390: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function 'strlen'
src/program.c: In function 'bt_rfcomm_rel':
src/program.c:411: error: storage size of 'req' isn't known
src/program.c:413: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function 'memset'
src/program.c:416: error: 'RFCOMMRELEASEDEV' undeclared (first use in this function)
src/program.c: In function 'rw_cmd':
src/program.c:434: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function 'strlen'
src/program.c:442: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function 'strlen'
src/program.c:455: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function 'strlen'
src/program.c: In function 'parse':
src/program.c:500: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function 'memset'
src/program.c:503: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function 'strchr'
src/program.c:506: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function 'strlen'
src/program.c: In function 'search_cmd':
src/program.c:550: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function 'strlen'
src/program.c: In function 'list_cmd':
src/program.c:600: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function 'strlen'
src/program.c:614: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function 'strchr'
src/program.c:622: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function 'strstr'
src/program.c: In function 'info_cmd':
src/program.c:643: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function 'strlen'
make: *** [program] Error 1

GeneralZod
May 28, 2003

Kneel before Zod!
Grimey Drawer

SnatchRabbit posted:

program.c:gcc -Iinclude -W -g3 -lprogram src/program.c -o program
src/program.c:29:33: error: program/program.h: No such file or directory
src/program.c:30:27: error: program/hci.h: No such file or directory
src/program.c:31:31: error: program/hci_lib.h: No such file or directory
src/program.c:32:30: error: program/rfcomm.h: No such file or directory

The bolded part looks very odd to me. All errors seem to stem from the fact that the included files mentioned (and also the standard library files) are not found, which may or may not be caused by the "-Iinclude" bit. Can you post the makefile, too? Where did you get this program & makefile?

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you
Im pretty new to Linux but im slowly learning. Im using Fedora 6 and almost everything is going fine but I cant get access to my second harddrive with all my music on it.

I think I see it in the filesystem under media (thats what I named it) but the folder is empty and only 5.8 gigs (should be 80). Im dual booting with XP and I can access the HDD. any thoughts?

also - are there any good a/v codec packs available? Im thinking something like defiler, I dont care really but I cant watch half the movies I have.

Mashi
Aug 15, 2005

Just wanted you to know your dinner's cold and the children all agree you're a shitheel!
How do I use smbmount without specifying a password every time? I'd like to be able to either map a linux user to a specific set of windows creditials or have samba read the password from it's /etc/samba/private/smbpasswd file, so I only have to specify the username. Is this possible?

thenameseli
Sep 6, 2006

rugbert posted:

Im pretty new to Linux but im slowly learning. Im using Fedora 6 and almost everything is going fine but I cant get access to my second harddrive with all my music on it.

I think I see it in the filesystem under media (thats what I named it) but the folder is empty and only 5.8 gigs (should be 80). Im dual booting with XP and I can access the HDD. any thoughts?
In a terminal (you may need to be root), run: mount /media (or whatever mount point it is). If this doesn't work, you need to fix your /etc/fstab. Google for fstab filesystem mount linux or something.

quote:

also - are there any good a/v codec packs available? Im thinking something like defiler, I dont care really but I cant watch half the movies I have.

Something like mplayer should play anything you can throw at it. vlc is nice too. There are a number of other media players, but I use the former.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo

GeneralZod posted:

The bolded part looks very odd to me. All errors seem to stem from the fact that the included files mentioned (and also the standard library files) are not found, which may or may not be caused by the "-Iinclude" bit. Can you post the makefile, too? Where did you get this program & makefile?

makefile -

CC = gcc
CFLAGS = -W -g3
LD = ld
LDFLAGS = -lbluetooth
SRC = src
INC = -Iinclude

all: program

program:
$(CC) $(INC) $(CFLAGS) $(LDFLAGS) $(SRC)/program.c -o program

clean:
rm program

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

SnatchRabbit posted:

makefile -

That makefile has no redeeming qualities -- it wasn't written by a clueful person, so don't expect much out of the code!

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

Mashi posted:

How do I use smbmount without specifying a password every time? I'd like to be able to either map a linux user to a specific set of windows creditials or have samba read the password from it's /etc/samba/private/smbpasswd file, so I only have to specify the username. Is this possible?

You can specify the options for these shared directories in /etc/fstab using the options from smbmount manpage (user=foo%bar,uid=1000,...)

You can then mount it by just passing the mountpoint to the mount command

Mashi
Aug 15, 2005

Just wanted you to know your dinner's cold and the children all agree you're a shitheel!

covener posted:

You can specify the options for these shared directories in /etc/fstab using the options from smbmount manpage (user=foo%bar,uid=1000,...)

You can then mount it by just passing the mountpoint to the mount command

I'm looking for a way to mount the share without keeping a plaintext password anywhere.

The entry in /etc/fstab looks like:
//192.168.1.200/share /mnt/share smbfs username=Mashi,rw 0 0

But since the windows share requires a password along with the username, I'm prompted for a password every time. I'd like for it to read the password from /etc/passwd, or /etc/samba/smbpasswd.

GringoGrande
Jul 27, 2001
Nah...
I'm running Ubuntu 6.10 and I got two soundcards. One is connected to a set of speakers and one is connected to a pair of headphones. I like the setup and things were good. Then all of a sudden the hw assignments for the cards seems to have gotten swapped and everything went weird for a while and I had to change some config files around to accomodate the situation. Fast forward a few weeks and everything has swapped back and forth, every now and then, for like the third time, and I'm beginning to get fed up.

How do I go about changing the hw assignments and make them stick? I've tried using alsactl to restore an edited /etc/asound.names but that doesn't seem to do anything.

Edit: I guess another alternative would be to split up my SB! Live into two virtual cards, although all attempts at configuring my .asoundrc have been for naught. Can't seem to wrap my head around how alsa works.

GringoGrande fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Apr 17, 2007

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

Mashi posted:

I'm looking for a way to mount the share without keeping a plaintext password anywhere.

But since the windows share requires a password along with the username, I'm prompted for a password every time. I'd like for it to read the password from /etc/passwd, or /etc/samba/smbpasswd.

Both of those files store 1-way digests of the password -- your password can't be extracted from it and sent to the remote system.

You can stash your password in a file with the credential= option, which you can protect more then /etc/fstab

Mashi
Aug 15, 2005

covener posted:

Both of those files store 1-way digests of the password -- your password can't be extracted from it and sent to the remote system.

You can stash your password in a file with the credential= option, which you can protect more then /etc/fstab

Ah ok, thanks mate.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

I'm trying to run Azureus on Solaris 10. You (or at least I) would think this sort of thing would be easy since Azureus comes in a .jar and Solaris is supposed to be Java-tastic. However, the jar won't run out of the box because it's missing apache in the jar (why would it look for apache inside the jar, anyway?).

I downloaded Eclipse and tried to build Azureus from the source but Eclipse crashes trying to import the project from the build.xml file. I have no idea what else to do, so I'm asking you guys. Is there a way to install the jar file such that it will start?

Edit: I did try to get the linux version but apparently SourceForge is broken right now because neither the 32 or 64 bit versions are available (tried FF, Opera and IE). This is loving nuts.

Munkeymon fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Apr 18, 2007

minute
Jul 31, 2003

So, I'm relatively new to linux. I decided to install Xubuntu because it seemed light and user-friendly. With the help of various internet guides and such, I've been slowly getting everything to work.

Except MPD. At first, I was following: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=320469&highlight=mpd . When I executed "./autogen.sh", I got the following:
code:
########### MPD CONFIGURATION ############

Playback Support:
 libao support .................disabled
 OSS support ...................enabled
 ALSA support ..................disabled
 JACK support ..................disabled
 OS X support ..................disabled
 PulseAudio support ............disabled
 Media MVP support .............disabled
 Shout streaming support .......disabled

File Format Support:
 ID3 tag support ...............disabled
 mp3 support ...................disabled
 Ogg Vorbis support ............disabled
 FLAC support ..................disabled
 OggFLAC support ...............disabled
 Wave file support .............disabled
 MP4/AAC support ...............disabled
 Musepack (MPC) support ........disabled
 MOD support ...................disabled
configure: error: No input plugins supported!
I didn't really pay much attention to these error messages, and kept following the guide. Make and make install both seemed to work. I followed the rest of the guide for MPD up until it told me to run MPD. I executed "sudo mpd" and got the following:
code:
unable to bind port 6600: Address already in use
maybe MPD is still running?
I looked around, and in the process of finding the solution, I ran into http://mpd.wikia.com/wiki/Install#Ubuntu_Install_Procedure and tried doing that. It did not fix the problem. However, "sudo killall mpd" did. But when I tried to run mpd again, it alternately gave me
code:
cannot setgid for user "mpd" at line 188: Operation not permitted
if I didn't run as superuser, or if I executed "sudo mpd" it gave me
code:
No audio_output specified and unable to detect a default audio output device
I tried playing around with the mpd.conf, uncommenting the secion on alsa drivers, etc. but it did nothing except show me a wide variety of error messages. Finally I went into Synaptic, removed mpd, and tried following http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=31763&highlight=mpd . But, when I typed "sudo dpkg-reconfigure mpd" into console, it just paused briefly, before returning me to the command prompt. I'd very much like to get this up and working, but as it is, I have no idea what to do.

I'm running Xubuntu 6.10, I have a Creative Audigy 2 ZS Notebook soundcard with alsa drivers installed, which as far as I can tell are working. I have gxine and rhythmbox currently installed, and both work after I followed https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats and https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu to install the codecs.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Mashi posted:

You may be able to mount the share during login using pam_mount.

Automatically mounting Samba and NCP shares using PAM
Mount SAMBA and NetWare volumes with pam_mount
Howto: CIFS + pam_mount

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you

thenameseli posted:

In a terminal (you may need to be root), run: mount /media (or whatever mount point it is). If this doesn't work, you need to fix your /etc/fstab. Google for fstab filesystem mount linux or something.

Nothing. I had to install some drivers to read NTFS drives and when I went to go look at what drives were available to mount I could only see the two other dual boot partitions (WinXP and Server 2003). The second harddrive is on the same IDE cable and the humper settings are set to slave so I dont know why fedora cant see it.

this command: /sbin/fdisk -lu /dev/hda | grep NTFS
code:
gave me these results
/dev/hda1   *          63    83891429    41945683+   7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/hda2        83891430   120085874    18097222+   f  W95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/hda5        83891493    96470324     6289416    7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/hda6        96470388    96679169      104391   83  Linux
/dev/hda7        96679233   120085874    11703321   8e  Linux LVM
hda1 and 5 are my windows partions and im guessing hda2 is the second harddrive but when I try to mount it Im told to specify a filesystem..

rugbert fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Apr 17, 2007

Smackbilly
Jan 3, 2001
What kind of a name is Pizza Organ! anyway?

rugbert posted:

Nothing. I had to install some drivers to read NTFS drives and when I went to go look at what drives were available to mount I could only see the two other dual boot partitions (WinXP and Server 2003). The second harddrive is on the same IDE cable and the humper settings are set to slave so I dont know why fedora cant see it.

this command: /sbin/fdisk -lu /dev/hda | grep NTFS
code:
gave me these results
/dev/hda1   *          63    83891429    41945683+   7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/hda2        83891430   120085874    18097222+   f  W95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/hda5        83891493    96470324     6289416    7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/hda6        96470388    96679169      104391   83  Linux
/dev/hda7        96679233   120085874    11703321   8e  Linux LVM
hda1 and 5 are my windows partions and im guessing hda2 is the second harddrive but when I try to mount it Im told to specify a filesystem..

The second hard drive is /dev/hdb

The letter after hd identifies the physical drive, and the number identifies the partition. For example, hda3 is the third partition of the first drive, and hdb1 is the first partition of the second drive, etc.

Now, /dev/hda2 is an "extended" (Ext'd) partition, which is something that windows does to compensate for hardware limitations. It's basically a container for other partitions - you can't mount it. The information that you posted shows that your first hard drive (/dev/hda) has two real windows partitions (/dev/hda1 and /dev/hda5).

Look at the output of /sbin/fdisk -lu /dev/hdb, and see which partition describes itself as "HPFS/NTFS" - it's probably /dev/hdb1. That's where your music is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smackbilly
Jan 3, 2001
What kind of a name is Pizza Organ! anyway?

swalk posted:

I have a dedicated server with 5 IPs. Whenever I SSH in under my user account, the IP that "bash" or my ssh session uses is *.54, but when another user logs in they get a different IP. This seems to be consistent because I have always gotten .54

Does someone know how this IP binding works and if it's possible to change it?

Any program that I run from my bash session uses the *.54 IP but I need to change it to another one.

edit: Using Debian Stable for reference and I'm talking about external IPs.

If you have root-level access to the server, you can change the IP that the SSH daemon listens on. Edit the sshd configuration file (usually /etc/ssh/sshd_config) and add the line "ListenAddress <desired-ip>".