Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Fossey
Mar 31, 2003

Fresh bananas for the whole crew!
I am trying to setup NetFlow on a 1700 running Version 12.3(13). I am going from Serial0 nat'd to FE0. I have the communication working except that I am not translating incoming communication from the internet to internal IPs.

I am getting:
Source-bob.com Dest-My external IP

Desired:
Source-bob.com Dest-Internal IP of the user

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
I'm attempting to build a CCNA lab(edit* lab, not lap!) for this summer. I'm currently a Freshman majoring in CIS, and it's been my goal to have my CCNA by the end of my Freshman summer for some time now. I took a vocational program through my High School which covered the CCNA curriculum, and I actually still have access to the curriculum.

Anyway, my question isn't about learning material... it is: Where should I buy my CCNA lab from? I looked on ebay and stuff, but I try to avoid buying things on ebay. What routers/switches do you folks recommend to go with, and why? I'd like to get this lab up and running in around a month, so I'm not in any rush.

If anyone has any tips about studying for the CCNA, please feel free to chime in. I plan on buying one of those "CCNA Flash Card" guide things. I just like being able to review possible questions. While in Barnes & Noble I glanced through one and could answer about... 25% of the questions I looked at, so I'm not ridiculously rusty considering I haven't touched this material in around a year.

Kudosx fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Apr 20, 2007

Boner Buffet
Feb 16, 2006
Kudosx, I think Cisco just changed their CCNA course material, although to what extent I'm not sure. I'm sure someone here might be able to fill you in further or rebut what I said.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

Mr. Fossey posted:

I am trying to setup NetFlow on a 1700 running Version 12.3(13). I am going from Serial0 nat'd to FE0. I have the communication working except that I am not translating incoming communication from the internet to internal IPs.

I am getting:
Source-bob.com Dest-My external IP

Desired:
Source-bob.com Dest-Internal IP of the user

I'm not sure you can do this as the flow records are generated on packet ingress- before translation. If you want proper flows you may want to look at tapping/span'ing your internal FastEth port to a netflow probe and export flows from that.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Girdle Wax posted:

I'm not sure you can do this as the flow records are generated on packet ingress- before translation.

Here's an interesting workaround I dug up: http://www.netup.biz/articles.php?n=10

It involves using policy routing to force traffic to a loopback interface after nat translation, and enabling netflow on the loopback.

Sounds pretty clever.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Drighton posted:

I create RMAs for faulty Cisco equipment. If you think your hardware has failed, try these troubleshooting steps to confirm it.
:words:
Hope this helps

I assume this means you work for Cisco?

We have a 6509 chassis sitting here with a shipping label on it. It has been here for nine (9) months now. We have tried on 3 seperate occasions to get Cisco to take it off our hands, but they never seem to schedule someone to pick it up. We've gone through all the right steps (we thought?) on the website. This chassis is our old dead-ish one that they shipped us an RMA replacement for after having no idea why it was breaking.

Kind sir, how do we get you guys to take it off our hands? It has been sitting there on its pallet for a long time, and has turned in to a table for our cache of 4948's.

On a similar note, I have a Sup720 with what is likely a bad flash card on it. How much of a PITA is it going to be to get this thing RMA'd? I have been having a bitch of a time navigating Cisco's website to figure out where I should actually be entering this RMA. I've found at least 2 places. We have a service contract with Cisco.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

LordHop posted:

Is there any type of software emulator i can use that pretends to be a cisco box so i can start to learn how to use these things?
We played around with Packet Tracer 4.0 in my cisco classes, but you can't do a lot of really advanced stuff with it. You can use RIP and EGIRP on it but no OSPF/BGP/whatever.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005

jwh posted:

Here's an interesting workaround I dug up: http://www.netup.biz/articles.php?n=10

It involves using policy routing to force traffic to a loopback interface after nat translation, and enabling netflow on the loopback.

Sounds pretty clever.

Probably want to keep on eye on the CPU if you tried that, Cisco states in their 'nat on a stick' docs that nat+pbr may result in packets getting punted to the process switching path.

Funnylink
Apr 14, 2004
Arg
I have a cisco 800 series router i recently bought 5 months ago. I am having trouble with interference with my wireless security camera creating interference on the wireless channel. I am having problems finding out how to change the wireless channel by googling. How do I configure the dot11radio interface to change the wireless frequency?

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005

Funnylink posted:

I have a cisco 800 series router i recently bought 5 months ago. I am having trouble with interference with my wireless security camera creating interference on the wireless channel. I am having problems finding out how to change the wireless channel by googling. How do I configure the dot11radio interface to change the wireless frequency?

code:
interface Dot11Radio0
 world-mode dot11d country US indoor
 channel 2412
end
this is from my aironet, i'm guessing the commands will be the same since they're both IOS based. you can also specify a 'normal' channel number (1-11) or tell it to scan for least congested, but I'd probably manually set it to 1, 6 or 11.

code:
farnsworth(config-if)#channel ?
  <1-2462>         One of: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 2412 2417 2422 2427 2432 2437 2442 2447 2452 2457 2462
  least-congested  Scan for best frequency

ior
Nov 21, 2003

What's a fuckass?

Funnylink posted:

I am having trouble with interference with my wireless security camera creating interference on the wireless channel.
You can tell your router to scan all channels and give you some information on which channels are the busiest. My IOS seems to be bugged though, it is not supposed to be showing 100% on all channels :)
code:
osl#term mon
osl#dot11 dot11Radio 0 carrier busy 
Frequency  Carrier Busy % 
---------  -------------- 
   2412        100 
   2417        100 
   2422        100 
   2427        100 
   2432        100 
   2437        100 
   2442        100 
   2447        100 
   2452        100 
   2457        100 
   2462        100 
   2467        100 
   2472        100

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!

InferiorWang posted:

Kudosx, I think Cisco just changed their CCNA course material, although to what extent I'm not sure. I'm sure someone here might be able to fill you in further or rebut what I said.

Can someone confirm or deny this (latter preferred :gonk: )?

WangNV
Mar 22, 2001
I'm so lonely

WangNV posted:

I have a piece of stupid software that uses the built-in windows XP FTP shell to connect to an outside server. This means no passive ftp, as XP's shell doesn't support passive mode. I have a PIX 515E running IOS 6.3(5) that does NAT on that network, and has a static address (not pooled) for the machine that does the ftp.

FTP fixup is turned on for ports 20 and 21. The ftp client connects fine, but file transfers fail, or download at a whopping 1.7k a sec. (Even when the host is in the DMZ outside the firewall and thus on the same 100 BASE-T network). Can anybody else think of what might be causing this?

Passive FTP connections work great, but the software won't do it. I've tried configuring reverse DNS records like they (cisco) say, but I still get nothing. What gives?

To answer my own question, don't hire stupid people to set up your router. The guy who put the thing together years ago enabled ftp fixup on both port 20, and 21. This meant it was try to fixup all the data connections, as well as the auth connection. This obviously was causing problems.

jbusbysack
Sep 6, 2002
i heart syd

Sergeant Hobo posted:

I've been too lazy to touch the ICND portion of the CCNA yet, but the INTRO portion as of Dec 06 was verbatim from the newest version of the Cisco Press books.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
I asked my question 4 days ago and still no answer! Mush Cisco geeks! Mush!

GPF
Jul 20, 2000

Kidney Buddies
Oven Wrangler

Sergeant Hobo posted:

The CCNA changed early last year and the books you find in the stores should be just fine and dandy. The CCNP just recently went through some fairly drastic changes, though.

The CCNA changes were pretty much this:

Drop IGRP.
Drop old switches (1900 say goodbye).
Restructure INTRO to be more useful.

I'll just be glad when they quit obsessing over ISDN.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

GPF posted:

The CCNA changed early last year and the books you find in the stores should be just fine and dandy. The CCNP just recently went through some fairly drastic changes, though.

Drop IGRP.

I took both the ICND and INTRO exams and the only reference to ISDN was a small factoid question about how many D and B channels there are. I didn't have to do any coniguration or know any terminology otherwise.

IGRP is definitely still on the CCNA outline, as is RIP, single area OSPF, and internal EIGRP.

mkosmo
Jul 15, 2006

SuperJens posted:

edit: Also, I have four 1600 routers but have absolutely no use for them. Are they worth anything or should I just chuck them in the dumpster?

As the others have said, I will be more than willing to pay for shipping if you want to get one (or more ;)) off your hands! Email me if youre interested. mkosmo at gmail dot com.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

H110Hawk posted:

I assume this means you work for Cisco?

We have a 6509 chassis sitting here with a shipping label on it. It has been here for nine (9) months now. We have tried on 3 seperate occasions to get Cisco to take it off our hands, but they never seem to schedule someone to pick it up. We've gone through all the right steps (we thought?) on the website. This chassis is our old dead-ish one that they shipped us an RMA replacement for after having no idea why it was breaking.

Kind sir, how do we get you guys to take it off our hands? It has been sitting there on its pallet for a long time, and has turned in to a table for our cache of 4948's.

On a similar note, I have a Sup720 with what is likely a bad flash card on it. How much of a PITA is it going to be to get this thing RMA'd? I have been having a bitch of a time navigating Cisco's website to figure out where I should actually be entering this RMA. I've found at least 2 places. We have a service contract with Cisco.

http://cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps359/prod_troubleshooting_guide09186a00801c62e8.html

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/708/GPSTools/RMAWebReturns/rma_web_based_returns.html

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

I'm wondering if anybody has any advice for DMVPN tunnel monitoring. Because the mGRE tunnels don't ever go down/down (unless the associated physical interface goes down), it's not very practical to simply watch the tunnel interface itself.

We've been working around this problem by using syslog to report EIGRP adjacency changes, and then alerting based on this information.

Still, I'm wondering if anybody has any ideas, or if they've heard of a snmp mib for IPSec SA's.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!

GPF posted:

Drop IGRP.

I feel you on ISDN. :bang:

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

jwh posted:

I'm wondering if anybody has any advice for DMVPN tunnel monitoring. Because the mGRE tunnels don't ever go down/down (unless the associated physical interface goes down), it's not very practical to simply watch the tunnel interface itself.

We've been working around this problem by using syslog to report EIGRP adjacency changes, and then alerting based on this information.

Still, I'm wondering if anybody has any ideas, or if they've heard of a snmp mib for IPSec SA's.

I think you need the objects in CISCO-IPSEC-FLOW-MONITOR-MIB.

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/SNMP/do/BrowseOID.do?local=en

Darw1N
Apr 28, 2004
I feel bad for some faggot that raped an old woman and beat her up with a crowbar. <3
Well then what about this?

New Two-Track CCNA Curriculum
http://www.aiminstitute.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=224&Itemid=323

The English versions of CCNA-A courses 1 and 2 and CCNA-B courses 1 and 2 will be available in the June-August 2007 timeframe.

This is what I'm going to wait for.

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?

jwh posted:

You might try these:

snmp-server enable traps isakmp policy add
snmp-server enable traps isakmp policy delete
snmp-server enable traps isakmp tunnel start
snmp-server enable traps isakmp tunnel stop
snmp-server enable traps ipsec cryptomap add
snmp-server enable traps ipsec cryptomap delete
snmp-server enable traps ipsec cryptomap attach
snmp-server enable traps ipsec cryptomap detach
snmp-server enable traps ipsec tunnel start
snmp-server enable traps ipsec tunnel stop
snmp-server enable traps ipsec too-many-sas

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Just for giggles and learning, I'm trying to daisychain a bunch of 1720's together via T1 WIC cards, and one ADSL WIC. How would I go about writing the routes to make traffic pass through from point A -> B:

PC -> [fe0, 1720, t1 wic] -> [t1 wic, 1720, ADSL wic] -> internets

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?

CrazyLittle posted:

How would I go about writing the routes to make traffic pass through from point A -> B:
Use 10.whatever on all your interfaces, then enable eigrp per below.

router eigrp 1
no auto-summary
network 10.0.0.0 255.0.0.0

Out of curiosity; do you have, or know how to make, a t1 crossover cable?

fsck
May 22, 2002
/usr/sbin/fsck -F ufs /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0
I have a pair of Cisco Catalyst 6506 routers that are to terminate both sides of a private-line OC3. I know IOS but CatOS and the relationship between the OC3 FlexWAN module and the supervisor engines is really making me tear my hair out.

Does anyone have experience doing VLAN trunking between the IOS FlexWAN modules and the CatOS super2 engines? If you're a consultant, I'm willing to pay for a couple hours time. I know I'm just missing the obvious :(

My first thought was to put the OC3 interface (POS5/0/0) into the same VLAN as the ethernet ports managed by CatOS. Unfortunately the OC3 interface does not accept switchport commands!

If you think you can help I would love a private message or an IM chat.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005

fsck posted:

I have a pair of Cisco Catalyst 6506 routers that are to terminate both sides of a private-line OC3. I know IOS but CatOS and the relationship between the OC3 FlexWAN module and the supervisor engines is really making me tear my hair out.

Does anyone have experience doing VLAN trunking between the IOS FlexWAN modules and the CatOS super2 engines? If you're a consultant, I'm willing to pay for a couple hours time. I know I'm just missing the obvious :(

My first thought was to put the OC3 interface (POS5/0/0) into the same VLAN as the ethernet ports managed by CatOS. Unfortunately the OC3 interface does not accept switchport commands!

If you think you can help I would love a private message or an IM chat.

The FlexWAN isn't a switchport- it's intended to be used as a WAN connection. It's typical use (as a POS interface) you'd just set up IPs on either side and use it as a routed (not switchport) interface. If you need to do VLANs over it you're probably going to have to look at running MPLS/L2VPN/EoMPLS over it.

inignot posted:

router eigrp 1
no auto-summary

Don't forget default-originate on the 1720 with the WAN connection (does EIGRP require an explicit default-originate or is that just OSPF?)

jwh posted:

I think the standard response to tunnel monitoring on the c-nsp list these days is: TCL/EEM (if you're running code that supports it).

fsck
May 22, 2002
/usr/sbin/fsck -F ufs /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0

Girdle Wax posted:

The FlexWAN isn't a switchport- it's intended to be used as a WAN connection. It's typical use (as a POS interface) you'd just set up IPs on either side and use it as a routed (not switchport) interface. If you need to do VLANs over it you're probably going to have to look at running MPLS/L2VPN/EoMPLS over it.

Actually I don't need to do VLAN trunking, specifically. All I really need to do is use the OC3 to connect one side of the network to the other - they are on different octet class-C subnets (i.e. 10.10.10.0 and 10.10.11.0 for sake of example). The hybrid mode of the current switch config is probably what is so heinously confusing to me.

Maybe we could do an IM session? AIM/Yahoo!/ICQ: novafsck

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005

fsck posted:

Actually I don't need to do VLAN trunking, specifically. All I really need to do is use the OC3 to connect one side of the network to the other - they are on different octet class-C subnets (i.e. 10.10.10.0 and 10.10.11.0 for sake of example). The hybrid mode of the current switch config is probably what is so heinously confusing to me.

Maybe we could do an IM session? AIM/Yahoo!/ICQ: novafsck

Not seeing you on AIM (my contact info is in profile).

In any case, the quick version + disclaimer since I've never worked on the 6500 platform- most of my experience is with routers (7200/12k).

Your configuration will probably be done on the MSFC rather than the sup (since you mentioned CatOS I'm guessing you're running in hybrid mode). Once connected to the MSFC you should be able to assign addresses to the POS interfaces (conf t, int pos 5/0/0, ip addr 10.10.255.1 255.255.255.252 (on one side) ip addr 10.10.255.2 255.255.255.252 (on the other), and then ping between them. Then it's just a matter of setting up static routes or a a routing protocol like OSPF.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Girdle Wax posted:

Don't forget default-originate on the 1720 with the WAN connection (does EIGRP require an explicit default-originate or is that just OSPF?)
You can redistribute 0.0.0.0/0 into eigrp without any troubles (unlike OSPF). But that's redistribution- I'm not sure about an originate mechanism. That's a good question.

Girdle Wax posted:

I think the standard response to tunnel monitoring on the c-nsp list these days is: TCL/EEM (if you're running code that supports it).
Ugh, I was afraid of that. I'm wondering if the DMVPN usability improvements are going to do anything about this.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

inignot posted:

router eigrp 1
no auto-summary

Thanks! I'll give that a try today.

inignot posted:

Yep - already done. I needed to make one to test the PRI interface on a Adtran that I set up for SIP trunking.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
How do I configure QoS on my Cisco network?

Basically I have a Cisco 817 Aeronet router for my gateway, and connected to that I have a 35xx Layer 3 Switch (there are 6 computers and 4 consoles connected to that). I want to prioritize all Bittorrent traffic to lowest priority and all other traffic higher. I'm reading up on Cisco QoS, and various queuing protocols and I think I want to use Priority Queuing, but I'm not sure how to set it up.

Any help?

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Powercrazy posted:

How do I configure QoS on my Cisco network?

That's a big question. Do you need qos on your 3550? Because if you can get away with only doing it on the 817, it's going to be easier. With the switches, you have to think about hardware queues and dscp to cos maps, and which queues are priority queues, and it's just generally not a very fun experience.

Anyway, priority queueing should be fine, provided you know which ports are being used for bittorrent. If you can't be sure which ports are being used for bittorrent, you might have to go dig around for the bittorrent PDLM for use with NBAR. You could also classify bittorrent and use cbwfq, as an alternative.

Here's a helpful link: http://www.opalsoft.net/qos/WhyQos-2422.htm

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I've got a Cisco 804. I really know nothing about IOS, I googled enough to come up with a config for my home LAN with an ISDN internet connection.

My question is: How do I enable the DHCP server?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

jwh posted:

That's a big question. Do you need qos on your 3550? Because if you can get away with only doing it on the 817, it's going to be easier. With the switches, you have to think about hardware queues and dscp to cos maps, and which queues are priority queues, and it's just generally not a very fun experience.

Anyway, priority queueing should be fine, provided you know which ports are being used for bittorrent. If you can't be sure which ports are being used for bittorrent, you might have to go dig around for the bittorrent PDLM for use with NBAR. You could also classify bittorrent and use cbwfq, as an alternative.

Here's a helpful link: http://www.opalsoft.net/qos/WhyQos-2422.htm

Yea I was looking around on the Cisco website and finally stumpled upon NBAR. When I get off work I'm going to go home and try it out, and i'll probably post the configs for others edification. Also apparently as of IOS 12.4T the Bittorrent protocol is identified natively.

So I'll find out soon.

markus876
Aug 19, 2002

I am a comedy trap.

InferiorWang posted:

Beyond that, any issues you have ran into with it?

It's worked fine. I'm running half a dozen vlans; nothing too fancy, but I haven't had any problems either.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Thermopyle posted:

I've got a Cisco 804. I really know nothing about IOS, I googled enough to come up with a config for my home LAN with an ISDN internet connection.

My question is: How do I enable the DHCP server?

Here you go: http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios120/120newft/120t/120t1/easyip2.htm

That should get you going.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Rockin. Thanks.

I don't know about how it is now, but a couple years ago I tried finding the Cisco documentation on this and it was hellish finding anything on their site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Well crap. I can't enable NBAR on a Cisco 851W and that is the easiest way to do what I want to do. Now I'm going to have to gently caress with access-lists and things. Sigh.