Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

rotor posted:

Then maybe I'm misunderstanding how this should work then. Apologies in advance for stupid questions, etc.

I was under the impression that I would run dnsmasq on my linux box, 10.0.0.8. I would then set the dns servers of all the machines on the LAN to 10.0.0.8, except for 10.0.0.8 itself, which should continue to use the actual DNS servers. Then 10.0.0.8 would act as a proxy and forward the DNS queries it didn't know about to the actual DNS server, then cache that result and send it back. Right?

So at some point, it has to go out and talk to an actual DNS server, right? And if I don't specify those in resolv.conf, where -do- I specify it?

As I understand it, dnsmasq by default is not supposed to serve the local box, so you had to remove 127.0.0.1, and everything on the box will not be affected by dnsmasq at all (but then you wouldn't be able to resolve anything). I am not sure if dnsmasq is smart enough to understand that it is not an upstream server of itself, so I can speculate that it probably read /etc/resolv.conf with 127.0.0.1 on startup and tried to query itself for maximum confusion even if you edited that file while it was running.

Since you want to have local applications to use dnsmasq to be able to resolve internal hostnames, I guess, the easiest solution would be to have /etc/resolv.conf file with nothing but "nameserver 127.0.0.1" (plus whatever "search" lines you may need), and list of "upstream" nameservers with nothing but "nameserver 10.0.0.1" -- say, in /etc/resolv-dnsmasq.conf , and "resolv-file=/etc/resolv-dnsmasq.conf" line in /etc/dnsmasq.conf . Then dnsmasq will only talk to the gateway, and local applications will only talk to dnsmasq.

The whole thing may be the result of the presence of "listen-address=" line in /etc/dnsmasq.conf that lists a real interface but not 127.0.0.1, so whatever dnsmasq is doing, is not visible to local applications at all, and they just time out. Just in case, check if /etc/dnsmasq.conf somehow modifies dnsmasq default behavior as a server (addresses, interfaces, etc.).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
OK, here goes. I posted this in the Ubuntu thread and on the Ubuntu Forum, but no help yet.

I used to be able to mount my iPod fine in Edgy and use Amarok to do whatever with it, but ever since upgrading to Feisty it's been unusable. Amarok works fine on its own, but when I connect my iPod to it it slows way, way, way down - to the point where opening a folder of songs takes over a minute. GtkPod does the same thing, and the same thing happens with my girlfriend's iPod. Mine's a 5.5G 30GB; hers is a 1G Nano. What should I do? I'm out of ideas.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

I'm trying to record sounds made by programs on the desktop. Preferably I'd like to record all the sounds that would be heard if you were sitting at the computer. I've looked at jackd, but that seems to require that all the programs you use implement their interface (not possible), and screencast programs like ffmpeg and xvidcap just record, as far as I can tell, from normal capture devices like microphones.

I know there is a hardware solution: plug line-out to line-in and set that as my capture device, but my hardware sucks and I get a terrible buzzing noise and fuzz when I do this. Any hw solution would have a reduction in quality anyway, right? So, is there a way to do this in software? I would prefer the mixed version of the whole desktop but I would be more than happy with a single program's audio track and then mix them myself.

I'm using ALSA on Ubuntu Dapper Drake.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

kaschei posted:

I'm trying to record sounds made by programs on the desktop. Preferably I'd like to record all the sounds that would be heard if you were sitting at the computer. I've looked at jackd, but that seems to require that all the programs you use implement their interface (not possible), and screencast programs like ffmpeg and xvidcap just record, as far as I can tell, from normal capture devices like microphones.

I know there is a hardware solution: plug line-out to line-in and set that as my capture device, but my hardware sucks and I get a terrible buzzing noise and fuzz when I do this. Any hw solution would have a reduction in quality anyway, right? So, is there a way to do this in software? I would prefer the mixed version of the whole desktop but I would be more than happy with a single program's audio track and then mix them myself.

I'm using ALSA on Ubuntu Dapper Drake.
Install alsamixer, run it, press F4 for inputs, select "Mix" inpit for recording, adjust levels.

I am sure, Gnome mixer can do it, too.

trashmatic
Jan 27, 2006

On Ubuntu Feisty, I open up the sound mixer, go to Edit->Preferences, enable "Mix" and "Capture", along with maybe some other input switches like "Line-In Capture" and "Microphone Capture", and close the dialog. Under Switches, select Mix, and set your capture level under Recording.

skeptic22
Aug 13, 2004
Immaculate
Does anyone know of a way to run Office 2007 with Wine (or Crossover Office) in Ubuntu 7.04? Even a 6.10 supported way would be helpful. I've searched for this extensively, but can only find two not very helpful comments in a Wine APP DB.

Failing this, is there an open source version of OneNote that is an application (not really interested in the HTML wiki solution) and allows for the flexible cutting and pasting, formatting option?

thenameseli
Sep 6, 2006

Munkeymon posted:

It seems to me like some process/job is eating the whole processor while it's doing something that takes it ~12 seconds then waits for what it thinks is a minute before doing that thing again. Network IO stops, the UI freezes, any input from me gets cached somewhere and acted upon when 'the event' is over with.

Stopping Azureus and killing smbd doesn't stop the hiccups.

-snip-

code:
dtanders   915  0.1 20.5  49    02:25:16 /usr/jdk/instances/jdk1.6.0/bin/java -Xms16m -Xmx128m -cp /etc/azureus/Azureus2 

Err, maybe I'm misreading your question, but isn't this your answer right here? The azureus process is taking up most/all of your cpu time and 20% of your memory. Compare the TIME column to all the other processes. Do you have it set to start at boot/login?

You will continue to have these problems even after closing it since the software is horribly buggy and often doesn't kill the process even when the GUI is closed. See if kill -9 915 helps you. (killall -9 java would be alright except you seem to have another, unrelated java process running).

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

skeptic22 posted:

Does anyone know of a way to run Office 2007 with Wine (or Crossover Office) in Ubuntu 7.04? Even a 6.10 supported way would be helpful. I've searched for this extensively, but can only find two not very helpful comments in a Wine APP DB.
If Wine appdb and Crossover Office don't list is as supported, you will need Windows running in VMWare. If you are willing to buy the Office license it probably makes sense to get Windows as well. Eventually it probably will be supported, but usually new versions of Office (intentionally?) use something not implemented in Wine, so there is a delay between release and Wine support.

I have banned Microsoft Office at work and standardized on OpenOffice to avoid this problem at its root.

quote:

Failing this, is there an open source version of OneNote that is an application (not really interested in the HTML wiki solution) and allows for the flexible cutting and pasting, formatting option?
Tomboy (gtk/mono) or Basket (qt/kde) depending on the functionality that you need.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
I followed this guide exactly, and when I try to login it says "Server refused our key". Anybody know what could be wrong? I'm running FC4.

http://www.howtoforge.com/ssh_key_based_logins_putty

thenameseli
Sep 6, 2006

fletcher posted:

I followed this guide exactly, and when I try to login it says "Server refused our key". Anybody know what could be wrong? I'm running FC4.

http://www.howtoforge.com/ssh_key_based_logins_putty

I don't have much experience with those PuTTY utilities, but just a few things to make sure you have set up correctly:
-As mentioned in the comments, you should use ~/.ssh/authorized_keys . Make sure this is in the home folder of the user you are logging in as.
-Make sure the following lines are in your server's sshd_config
code:
RSAAuthentication yes
PubkeyAuthentication yes
PermitRootLogin yes # if you are trying to login as root, although not recommended.
-Make sure there are no extra restrictions on your authorized_keys. For example, if you prepend the key with from="[ip range]" you will only be able to login from those ips.

Besides that, all you need to do is put the public key on one line in authorized_keys and authenticate with the private key.

Also, check the output in the server's log. Probably /var/log/auth.log or /var/log/syslog

I assume you can log in with a password alright?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Okay, I finally switched to Solaris.

Now, I have X11 and Compiz running, and that just fine, considering it's not goddamned Linux. However do I have a dual monitor setup, which requires me to activate TwinView to get Compiz running correctly. Dialog windows aren't shown in the middle of the screen with the default Gnome settings, aswell as windows maximize on a single screen instead of across.

But when Compiz is running, all of that goes away. Dialogs and new windows appear in the middle, means half on each screen, maximizing makes a window occupy both screens. That's stupid. How do I fix this?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

thenameseli posted:

I don't have much experience with those PuTTY utilities, but just a few things to make sure you have set up correctly:
-As mentioned in the comments, you should use ~/.ssh/authorized_keys . Make sure this is in the home folder of the user you are logging in as.
-Make sure the following lines are in your server's sshd_config
code:
RSAAuthentication yes
PubkeyAuthentication yes
PermitRootLogin yes # if you are trying to login as root, although not recommended.
-Make sure there are no extra restrictions on your authorized_keys. For example, if you prepend the key with from="[ip range]" you will only be able to login from those ips.

Besides that, all you need to do is put the public key on one line in authorized_keys and authenticate with the private key.

Also, check the output in the server's log. Probably /var/log/auth.log or /var/log/syslog

I assume you can log in with a password alright?

Ok - had to uncomment those lines in my sshd_config. The public key is in my authorized_keys file. I can login with a password, but the autologin still isn't working. I don't see a syslog or auth.log

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Also, recommend me a BitTorrent client that isn't Azureus.

Al Azif
Nov 1, 2006

fletcher posted:

Ok - had to uncomment those lines in my sshd_config. The public key is in my authorized_keys file. I can login with a password, but the autologin still isn't working. I don't see a syslog or auth.log

You probably need to restart sshd after uncommenting those lines.

Liquid Silk
Feb 20, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

Toiletbrush posted:

Have you tried wine with uTorrent? I had Azureus, and I thought it was fine, until I tried uTorrent, and now it's blistering fast for me. I downloaded Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, the Dune miniseries, Holy Mountain, Pirates (2005), and American Psycho in about 2 days, plus with several more nearly completed. I remember in windows that would take me about a month. Give it a try.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

GeneralZod
May 28, 2003

Kneel before Zod!
Grimey Drawer

Toiletbrush posted:

As AlexHat mentioned, people seem to have a lot of success with uTorrent under WINE.

Other popular choices:

rtorrent (CLI)
Deluge (Young-ish but apparently very good; GNOME-integrated)
KTorrent (KDE)
Opera's built-in client

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

GeneralZod posted:

KTorrent (KDE)

I'll endorse ktorrent too -- handy systray thing to move max UL around, dead-simple otherwise.

And even dcop control over max UL

covener fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Apr 29, 2007

GoonyMcGoonface
Sep 11, 2001

Friends don't left friends do ECB
Dinosaur Gum

covener posted:

I'll endorse ktorrent too -- handy systray thing to move max UL around, dead-simple otherwise.

If you do use Ktorrent, make sure you're up to date (>2.1.3). It's got quite a few security vulnerabilities in the older versions.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I'll check these out. For one, it has to compile under Solaris. However "cross-platform" on most "Unix" applications just means "Needs to compile on these bazillion different Linux distros that are basically the same operating system but each haxored into kind of not". Since JDS on Solaris is pretty much Gnome, I'll go dick around with Deluge first.

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003
Zupht0r 6000 Turbo Type-R
Does anyone know how I can permanently disable write-caching on any USB drives I happen to plug into my computer? Running Ubuntu Feisty. It's getting really loving annoying to transfer over a large block of files only to find out at an inconveinient time that they aren't loving there because I didn't unmount it properly.

I don't care if this will reduce the life of my flash media or cause my drives to fragment faster. How the gently caress do I turn it off?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Toiletbrush posted:

But when Compiz is running, all of that goes away. Dialogs and new windows appear in the middle, means half on each screen, maximizing makes a window occupy both screens. That's stupid. How do I fix this?

You can't, easily. We were in this situation at work and upon investigating, it's only fixed in recent builds of Beryl. Recent as in, still in the source tree and not in packaged anywhere. If you want this to work, you'll have to switch to Beryl and compile from the source tree.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Zuph posted:

Does anyone know how I can permanently disable write-caching on any USB drives I happen to plug into my computer? Running Ubuntu Feisty. It's getting really loving annoying to transfer over a large block of files only to find out at an inconveinient time that they aren't loving there because I didn't unmount it properly.

I don't care if this will reduce the life of my flash media or cause my drives to fragment faster. How the gently caress do I turn it off?

You unmount them properly. To make it easier, add a drive mount applet to the panel if you haven't done it already. Alternatively you can make a launcher button that runs "sync".

teapot fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Apr 30, 2007

indigoe
Jul 29, 2003

gonna steal the show, you know it ain't no crime
I have 2 web servers, one CentOS, the other win2k3, both set up with apache. What I would like to accomplish is that when a file changes in /var/www/html (on the linux machine) it's automatically mirrored to the other server (the windows machine) via FTP. I looked into rsync but I don't think it can do what I need. I also tried to google for other solutions, and found unison, but as I understand it, it will not run automatically.

Is this possible in any way or am I crazy for thinking it up?

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

indigoe posted:

I have 2 web servers, one CentOS, the other win2k3, both set up with apache. What I would like to accomplish is that when a file changes in /var/www/html (on the linux machine) it's automatically mirrored to the other server (the windows machine) via FTP. I looked into rsync but I don't think it can do what I need. I also tried to google for other solutions, and found unison, but as I understand it, it will not run automatically.

Is this possible in any way or am I crazy for thinking it up?

Both rsync and unison will be able to do that (though none of then use FTP -- it's not a good protocol anyway), however they won't start immediately after a file is changed. You can make a simple shell script that checks if timestamp on the directory (or any directory in a subtree) changed since the last time the directory was checked, and only then run rsync or other utility. The script can run in an infinite loop or be called from cron.

indigoe
Jul 29, 2003

teapot posted:

Both rsync and unison will be able to do that (though none of then use FTP -- it's not a good protocol anyway), however they won't start immediately after a file is changed. You can make a simple shell script that checks if timestamp on the directory (or any directory in a subtree) changed since the last time the directory was checked, and only then run rsync or other utility. The script can run in an infinite loop or be called from cron.

None of those solutions are ideal or in fact solve the problem, and as I've noted I already looked at those utilities. Here it is again what I'm trying to accomplish with different words: automatically mirror files to another server via FTP as they change. By the way there is software for windows that can do this, but if it can't be done in linux I guess I can live with that.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

indigoe posted:

None of those solutions are ideal or in fact solve the problem, and as I've noted I already looked at those utilities. Here it is again what I'm trying to accomplish with different words: automatically mirror files to another server via FTP as they change. By the way there is software for windows that can do this, but if it can't be done in linux I guess I can live with that.

If the script will run in a loop with a small (half a minute) delay, and run rsync whenever a timestamp on a directory changes, it will end up copying files almost instantly. The reason why there is no special package for that is because people who need it usually can write it in 2-3 minutes for their specific needs.

GringoGrande
Jul 27, 2001
Nah...

indigoe posted:

automatically mirror files to another server via FTP as they change.
You could check out inotify-tools, which should be able to take care of that. (If your kernel is >=2.6.13)

indigoe
Jul 29, 2003

GringoGrande posted:

You could check out inotify-tools, which should be able to take care of that. (If your kernel is >=2.6.13)

This would be good but my kernel is 2.6.9. So I will look into a shell script and see how that goes. Thanks for the help although I'm still open to suggestions.

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003

teapot posted:

You unmount them properly. To make it easier, add a drive mount applet to the panel if you haven't done it already. Alternatively you can make a launcher button that runs "sync".

Is this because there is no possible way to do this in Linux, or because you feel some strange empathy for my external media?

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Zuph posted:

Is this because there is no possible way to do this in Linux, or because you feel some strange empathy for my external media?
Because /etc/hal/fdi/policy/preferences.fdi allows you to configure it (uncommenting the section where sync option is configured for everything below 1G, or whatever size limit you can put there) right after the comment with the URL http://readlist.com/lists/vger.kernel.org/linux-kernel/22/111748.html advising you not to do that.

Snozzberry Smoothie
Jun 27, 2005

by Fragmaster
We recently acquired some old celeron 500mhz machines to place in our company warehouse. Tonight, I would like to install a lightweight Linux disto that will be sufficient for these old machines to browse our web-based warehouse software. I tried installing Ubuntu Feisty earlier, but couldn't get it to boot into the LiveCD.

Can someone recommend a distribution that would be quick and painless for an old machine to browse the net (with Firefox 2.0, due to all the web 2.0 poo poo), that'll also connect to our wireless access point straight out of the box (Ubuntu has no problem with this, using the wifi cards we have)?

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003

teapot posted:

Because /etc/hal/fdi/policy/preferences.fdi allows you to configure it (uncommenting the section where sync option is configured for everything below 1G, or whatever size limit you can put there) right after the comment with the URL http://readlist.com/lists/vger.kernel.org/linux-kernel/22/111748.html advising you not to do that.

Thank you, on both counts. I'm tired of people saying, "Ohh, you don't want to do that." and then not giving a reason beyond, "It isn't good practice." I was unaware this was how Linux handled writes to flash media.

Snozzberry Smoothie posted:

Can someone recommend a distribution that would be quick and painless for an old machine to browse the net (with Firefox 2.0, due to all the web 2.0 poo poo), that'll also connect to our wireless access point straight out of the box (Ubuntu has no problem with this, using the wifi cards we have)?

You might have luck with drat Small Linux. It has Firefox built in, but I'm not sure which version. Xubuntu might also work for you. All the nice hardware support of Ubuntu, but with a nice, lightweight window manager. You might need the alternate install CD if the machines have less than (I think) 256mb of ram. It gives you a non-graphical install.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Snozzberry Smoothie posted:

We recently acquired some old celeron 500mhz machines to place in our company warehouse. Tonight, I would like to install a lightweight Linux disto that will be sufficient for these old machines to browse our web-based warehouse software. I tried installing Ubuntu Feisty earlier, but couldn't get it to boot into the LiveCD.

I run both Debian and Ubuntu on 400-450MHz old boxes with 256-384M of RAM. Many old boxes have damaged, or dirty CD drives, so you may want to use a new one for booting from live CD.

If GNOME and KDE are too slow, you can use Xfce or Window Maker.

Edit: One of configurations still in use at my work is a full-blown Ubuntu install on PIII-450 with 384M of RAM running two X servers -- one for itself, another remote for X session running on a more powerful server. The first is kinda slow, and used mostly for maintenance, however the second remains being used as MY PRIMARY 3D CAD WORKSTATION. No beryl on the second X though.

teapot fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Apr 30, 2007

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Is there a way to see live traffic statistics for apache?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I have my Feisty laptop set up to suspend when I close the lid, which is swell. But when the laptop is opened (say, by the security guy at the airport) and closed, it doesn't suspend again, because I haven't logged in to my GNOME session, and it sits around at full power, burning through the battery.

I'd like to fix this problem, but there's plenty of other power management junk I haven't figured out yet, like how to get hibernate working. Is there a guide somewhere to getting GNOME Power Manager, or power management in general, to behave more sanely?

edit: Ha, googling for more info on this turned up the GPM developer, who can't get his laptop to work. I don't like smarmy comments about open source, but...

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 03:36 on May 1, 2007

Alowishus
Jan 8, 2002

My name is Mud

fletcher posted:

Is there a way to see live traffic statistics for apache?
You might like mod_status that's built into Apache (but generally disabled by default). It gives you a magic web page that upon load shows RIGHT NOW what each Apache process is doing.

Harokey
Jun 12, 2003

Memory is RAM! Oh dear!
How long should the "wtmp" log file go for?

I just did a 'last' on my machine and got this:

wtmp begins Fri Apr 20 13:51:06 2007

Now I probably did an update around then, does that mean that the update may have cleared the last log? I thought it was supposed to go back to the begining of time.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

OK, I'm having a strange problem. I just installed Ubuntu Feisty Fawn on a clean disk, no other OS. I can't get the machine to boot from the hard disk - GRUB won't load.

If I insert a WinXP setup disk in the CD drive, suddenly GRUB loads. I get one line from the WinXP bootloader - "Please wait while your computer starts from the CD", then a couple dots, then GRUB takes off and Ubuntu loads without further ado.

Any suggestions? What I've got works, but it's a kludge and I'd like to be able to boot directly from the hard drive.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Harokey posted:

How long should the "wtmp" log file go for?

I just did a 'last' on my machine and got this:

wtmp begins Fri Apr 20 13:51:06 2007

Now I probably did an update around then, does that mean that the update may have cleared the last log? I thought it was supposed to go back to the begining of time.
code:
last -f /var/log/wtmp.1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Deteriorata posted:

OK, I'm having a strange problem. I just installed Ubuntu Feisty Fawn on a clean disk, no other OS. I can't get the machine to boot from the hard disk - GRUB won't load.

If I insert a WinXP setup disk in the CD drive, suddenly GRUB loads. I get one line from the WinXP bootloader - "Please wait while your computer starts from the CD", then a couple dots, then GRUB takes off and Ubuntu loads without further ado.

Any suggestions? What I've got works, but it's a kludge and I'd like to be able to boot directly from the hard drive.

You have disabled booting from the hard drive in BIOS. Enable it.