Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weremacht
Nov 4, 2002

THE ONLY THING THAT TURNS ME ON MORE THAN A MONKEY IN A FURRY SUIT IS SPOILING PLOTS
It looks like Erfworld is slowly but surely moving into a portion of the story that involves verbs, which is good because I really like the concept, despite the somewhat lackluster execution.

Honestly the magical toy-blog was one of the better decisions made with the series, since the blog strips don't interfere with the release schedule and do a decent job of filling in the apparently meticulously created background.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
in a 3rd party book on D&D immortality, one of the few ways to retain intelligence in undead is to give them a shot of postive energy just as they are created. Doing so should attach the soul and intelligence to the undead.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
:siren: New Comic! :siren:

I have to say, the "let them out of prison to fight for us" thing seems to be contraindicated for future invasions.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
New comic up, with absolutely no story advancement.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Well it looks like the Linear Guild has it's new caster. I have a feeling Xykon's going to keep this good idea going.

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

zakharov posted:

Gives a good how idea on how effective Elan can be when he really wants to be, though. His bard song even affected Xykon, even if he changed the lyrics for his own benefit.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
Hahah, I love Xykon in the first panal.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Discosis posted:

Well it looks like the Linear Guild has it's new caster. I have a feeling Xykon's going to keep this good idea going.

Xykon and the Linear Guild are two separate evil entities.

zakharov posted:

We now know Xykon's almost in the throne room and there may be a new permanent member of his crew. That's advancement enough for me. Humor strip, people!

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

God I love Xykon. Clueless, smartass, and super powerful are such a great combination.

Kahrytes
Jun 4, 2004

Now I need a drink. Not this one. Another one. And in a different place.

ConfusedUs posted:

God I love Xykon. Clueless, smartass, and super powerful are such a great combination.

I'm not so sure Xykon is truly clueless about everything.

I think he really, really just doesn't care, at all.

Samedi
Aug 26, 2003

I turn evil.
I enjoyed the Vaarsuvius cameo in the second panel. Too bad that crack on Xykon's skull wasn't a permanent upgrade.

Pieces of Peace
Jul 8, 2006
Hazardous in small doses.
"Biophiliacs". I love it. Sure, everyone mocks the Lichloved feat, but does anyone stop to consider the feelings of the undead? Hundreds of innocent mindless skeletons are abused every year, and many of them are too traumatized to report it.
Speak up. Even if you don't have a tongue any more. Maybe you can scribble something in the dirt with your skeletal claws.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I decided it was time for a new avatar, today's comic presented me with the motivation to make it happen.

BAWRLIN
Nov 23, 2003

He'll regret it till his dying day, if ever he lives that long.

the_steve posted:

I decided it was time for a new avatar, today's comic presented me with the motivation to make it happen.

NASDAQ symbol: DOOM

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

BAWRLIN posted:

NASDAQ symbol: DOOM

"When I first heard of Evil, I was skeptical. After speaking with Lord Xyklon, I invested everything I owned into Evil stock. It gave me a profit of almost 325%! When I tried to cash out, a hobgoblin cut off my hand, animated it and ordered it to kill me. Thanks, Evil!"

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
I saw some OotS books in my local comic book shop today. I was considering picking them up until I saw they'd been marked as 0„510 whereas on the back it proudly proclaimed them to be worth about $13 or so.

In case you ain't been keeping up with things, that's worth around 0„56. So I thought "I don't want them so bad I'll pay almost twice what it actually costs."

I flipped through the Origin book, though, and found the few panels I alighted 'pon to be rather amusing.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

Fuego Fish posted:

I saw some OotS books in my local comic book shop today. I was considering picking them up until I saw they'd been marked as 0„510 whereas on the back it proudly proclaimed them to be worth about $13 or so.

In case you ain't been keeping up with things, that's worth around 0„56. So I thought "I don't want them so bad I'll pay almost twice what it actually costs."

I flipped through the Origin book, though, and found the few panels I alighted 'pon to be rather amusing.

Order them from the actual site or something, they're well worth it.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Fuego Fish posted:

I saw some OotS books in my local comic book shop today. I was considering picking them up until I saw they'd been marked as �0�510 whereas on the back it proudly proclaimed them to be worth about $13 or so.

In case you ain't been keeping up with things, that's worth around �0�56. So I thought "I don't want them so bad I'll pay almost twice what it actually costs."

How much is 0,,510 or 0,,56? What the hell have you Europeans done to monetary denotation? I'll roll with commas where periods should be, and periods where commas should be. But I'll be damned if I'll accept anything other than base 10. :colbert:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I don't think that's European monitary denominations he's using, cause I'm Irish and I'm completely lost too - must be Swahili or something, trading in beads and peebles :confused:

LuchadoresDelNixon
Feb 7, 2007

Moonbase Alpha provides a realistic simulation of life on a natural satellite
Nothing is loading. Does someone have a waffled version of the comic?

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA

LuchadoresDelNixon posted:

Nothing is loading. Does someone have a waffled version of the comic?

LuchadoresDelNixon
Feb 7, 2007

Moonbase Alpha provides a realistic simulation of life on a natural satellite
Thank you thank you, very merch.

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

There seems no plan because it is all plan. There seems no center because it is all center.

tsob posted:

I don't think that's European monitary denominations he's using, cause I'm Irish and I'm completely lost too - must be Swahili or something, trading in beads and peebles :confused:

Mario van Peebles?

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

gothfae posted:

Mario van Peebles?

Each one's worth its weight in gold!

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

tsob posted:

I have no idea why you aren't seeing what I put, which was the symbol for pounds sterling: £.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Fuego Fish posted:

I have no idea why you aren't seeing what I put, which was the symbol for pounds sterling: £.

It's weird, it shows up for me there but in your previous post I just see a bunch of commas and numbers.

Also when's the new comic going up I want it now!

Incidentally
Nov 11, 2005

free yourself, first thing.
It just went up.

Just when you think it couldn't get any more epic, it gets epicer.

God, I love OOTS.

Fuego Fish posted:

The pound symbol in your original post rendered in my Firefox as "?0?5" with the question marks inside little black diamonds. In your second post, the pound symbol shows up as pound symbol.

Incidentally fucked around with this message at 08:42 on May 4, 2007

Kahrytes
Jun 4, 2004

Now I need a drink. Not this one. Another one. And in a different place.
Xykon is awesome.

And I don't play wargames, so lemme ask anyone who does in this thread. Did today's Erfworld make ANY sense to any of you?

I think I should go to sleep...

Efreet saiid
Jan 29, 2006

by Lowtax
The 'splash' page looks pretty awesome, but I don't have much hope of the throne room fight. I'd really like him to pull out something unexpected here, but it's pretty obvious what's going to happen, again his approach to these guys is getting a bit cliche and will probably result in the typical outcome, much as it did with Miko. But the rest of the battle is going great, and the bit with Roy was really well done.

If this were a normal webcomic i'd be worried about Xykon turning into some kind of super-badass unbeatable character farce, but it's absurd to not give Burlew wayyy more credit than that, so much so that I originally gave an example of the kind of character I mean here, but I honestly think it would be an insult to even suggest such a comparison.

I only mention all this because that strikes me as one of the big differences between a genuine writer and the kind of hacks that often do webcomics- sure, a good writer might do one or two things that you don't like, but it's rare for them to not get back into form pretty quickly. This compared to lovely writers who might have some interesting ideas, but end up just getting worse and worse over time, to the point where they're absolutly awful, as so many webcomics clearly show. Even if I became completly turned off of OOTS at some point, I still wouldn't suspect it of the kind of downward spiral that is so common elsewhere.

Either way i've been pretty happy with the battle thus far, it's neck and neck for awesome with the one going on over here- http://goblinscomic.com/
- with the added bonus that it's being posted far more quickly.

Meanwhile poor old goblin knob, doesn't even rate v:(v

Kahrytes posted:

And I don't play wargames, so lemme ask anyone who does in this thread. Did today's Erfworld make ANY sense to any of you?
Um. . . I guess? Kinda? I think he's just trying to wack the siege equipment, wich I do all the time when breaking sieges in M:TW2, but all this poo poo about stacks and hexes and so on just strikes me as completly incoherent and pointless. I guess there might be some hardcore mini gamers out there doing "gently caress YEAH" but I doubt it.

I'm not sure wether they're trying to set this up as a puzzle wich is going to be solved, or just babbling a bunch of poo poo about the setting, but either way I don't think it's working. I get that the klog entries are not the main story but in that case what are they? They don't seem to be functioning as meaningful exposition. I don't get how, later in the story, it's going to be really important and interesting that thinkamancy=(lookamancy/buttomanacy)2. OTOH I don't think they stand up under their own merits.

Efreet saiid fucked around with this message at 09:10 on May 4, 2007

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

What the hell kind of strategy computer game(Man, this really reminds me of the Age of Wonders series for some reason) is he playing stuck in where units fully heal if you can't kill them in one turn? :psyduck:

EDIT: I mean, that does seem to be a pretty good strategy given the postulates, but it's also exaclty why units slowly heal over time in most of these games rather than fully recovering every turn.

As for what he's doing, he's using the fact that they're flying units and can't be attacked except by a limited selection of units to perform hit and run attacks on poo poo, and the "slow" dragons are shielding the central hex from anybody trying to attack, so the wounded units can avoid being attacked until the beginning of the next turn, so they're at full strength and can go out and do it again.

If I'm following it right, he's planning to take out all the enemy seige engines so they can't actually get into the city, then take out targets of opportunity before retreating back to the city.

Zereth fucked around with this message at 10:19 on May 4, 2007

evilsake
Oct 25, 2004

by Fragmaster
I like how all the Paladins in the last panel are unique.

Even if all of these guys are at a lower level (though I think they're supposed to be higher than the soldiers outside) than Xyklon, can a lich hope to survive against so many classes solely dedicated to the destruction of his kind at once?

Spaz mk. 2.0
Apr 19, 2005

Shank 'em if ya got 'em, fellas!
If they're smart, they'll all use lay hands on him and really mess him up. If they're dumb, they'll just slash away and do next to no damage at all. I've got a feeling he'll have a hard time with this but come out on top.

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn

Efreet saiid posted:

I only mention all this because that strikes me as one of the big differences between a genuine writer and the kind of hacks that often do webcomics- sure, a good writer might do one or two things that you don't like, but it's rare for them to not get back into form pretty quickly. This compared to lovely writers who might have some interesting ideas, but end up just getting worse and worse over time, to the point where they're absolutly awful, as so many webcomics clearly show. Even if I became completly turned off of OOTS at some point, I still wouldn't suspect it of the kind of downward spiral that is so common elsewhere.

I'm gonna have to agree with you here. About 2 years ago I had almost a dozen web comics that I followed religiously, to the point where I knew everyone's update schedules by heart. Now I only have 3-4 that I read on a regular basis, and OOTS is one of them because unlike other web comics, who seem to find a groove that works for them and then settle into that, Rich is constantly pushing himself to try bigger and better things. And it's because of that push that I can see OOTS just getting even better than it is now.

He walks a fine line between keeping people who play table top games interested by mostly following D&D rules, and keeping people who've never played D&D interested by having a solid story and likeable characters. The D&D aspect of the comic doesn't appeal to me on a whole, because I haven't played the game in years and years, but the characters just keep getting better. Does it make me a massive nerd to admit that I'm honestly worried about Roy? Probably, but that only shows how good Rich is at creating the characters.

That being said...that splash page has some promise for sure. I bet Xykon kicks some major paladin rear end. I'm really hoping that he does get control of Azure City, so we can then watch the heroes get it back. After bringing Roy back of course.

And where the hell is the Linear Guild in all of this? We saw Miko praying a few strips back and it looked like she was just by the big wall, we have to assume that they're there too. Surely the structural integrity has been weakened enough that Thog could bash through.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Even though the discussion on it has started

:siren: NEW STRIP IS UP! :siren:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

rantmo posted:

Even though the discussion on it has started

:siren: NEW STRIP IS UP! :siren:

I think Xykon's got this in three words.

Cone of Cold

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Cone of Cold wouldn't spread far enough out to hit every paladin and cleric in that room, and Divine Grace means nobody in that room has a bad saving throw, even assuming nobody in that room has a Miko-esque character build or anti-undead weaponry. Xykon's in for a hell of a fight.

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT
Funny idea:

Xykon is absolutely pummelled by the Sapphire Guard. Pwned. They find Redcloak, identify the phylactery and destroy it.

Game's over, and PC's look around in confusion as O-Chul, the martyred saviour of Azure City, is the hero of the tale.

Roy doesn't get ressurrected, because well, why? Heaven's pretty nice, why pull him away from that?

They devote the rest of the comic to a montage of Elan and Haley rescuing her dad, and wrap it up at strip 500 with Roy looking down, saying something like: "Huh, would you look at that. Guess they don't need me, this really is heaven."

Won't happen of course, but I'd laugh.

In reality, I think we're going to see Elan grow and mature a bit more, and eventually show that he will be a good leader, so long as he has a few secretaries of common sense. He'll lead by guts and example as opposed to Roy's somewhat cold, tactician style, but it'll happen. Haley doesn't want it, and Durkon and V look doomed by prophecy, sooner or later.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I'm remembering this from second edition, but do Paladins also have that field of -1 to all evil creatures, which stacks and is cumulative? Giving Xykon about a -20 anywhere he stands in the room to all rolls?

Spaz mk. 2.0
Apr 19, 2005

Shank 'em if ya got 'em, fellas!
I remember nothing about that being mentioned in 3.5 for Paladins. Sounds like it would have been pretty useful though.

Spaz mk. 2.0 fucked around with this message at 20:53 on May 4, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caselogic.com
Jan 5, 2002

greatn posted:

I'm remembering this from second edition, but do Paladins also have that field of -1 to all evil creatures, which stacks and is cumulative? Giving Xykon about a -20 anywhere he stands in the room to all rolls?

No, it was done away with in 3rd edition. It wasn't all that useful in 2nd either, the radius was 10 feet and was nullified if the paladin forced an evil creature into it. IE, charging towards something.