Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JoeNotCharles
Mar 3, 2005

Yet beyond each tree there are only more trees.

Crush posted:

Is there a way to replace the Ubuntu logo with the Footprint logo of GNOME?

Where exactly do you mean? In the boot splash screen, login screen, Gnome splash screen, Gnome menu...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technowrite
Jan 18, 2006

I first battled the Metroids on Planet Zebes.
Dumb question time for me!

I'm sure this question has been asked a million times over, but my endless Internet searching has lead me to websites where I don't exactly understand how to implement the change. I'm talking about SAMBA!

Okay, so I have a laptop with some files on it that I want to transfer to my new Ubuntu Linux machine. This new machine is going to be where I store all of my files, so I want to start by stashing about 20GB-40GB worth of stuff on it from my laptop.

Does anyone know of a website with a step-by-step process on how to get SAMBA working correctly? Every website I've come up with is even too difficult for me to understand, and I've been using computers for 13+ years now. :(

Crush
Jan 18, 2004
jot bought me this account, I now have to suck him off.

JoeNotCharles posted:

Where exactly do you mean? In the boot splash screen, login screen, Gnome splash screen, Gnome menu...?

Sorry, I wasn't clear. In the upper left hand corner where the 'Applications' menu is. The reason I want to change it is because I am not a big fan of the brown/orange/whatever theme on Ubuntu, but when I change it to something like a blue theme, the Ubuntu logo stands out.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Technowrite posted:

Dumb question time for me!

I'm sure this question has been asked a million times over, but my endless Internet searching has lead me to websites where I don't exactly understand how to implement the change. I'm talking about SAMBA!

Okay, so I have a laptop with some files on it that I want to transfer to my new Ubuntu Linux machine. This new machine is going to be where I store all of my files, so I want to start by stashing about 20GB-40GB worth of stuff on it from my laptop.

Does anyone know of a website with a step-by-step process on how to get SAMBA working correctly? Every website I've come up with is even too difficult for me to understand, and I've been using computers for 13+ years now. :(

Is the laptop a Windows machine? If so, and the new Ubuntu machine has the newest version (this may be true on older versions as well), and you are using Gnome, simply right click on a folder and click "Share". All too easy, isn't it?

JoeNotCharles
Mar 3, 2005

Crush posted:

Sorry, I wasn't clear. In the upper left hand corner where the 'Applications' menu is. The reason I want to change it is because I am not a big fan of the brown/orange/whatever theme on Ubuntu, but when I change it to something like a blue theme, the Ubuntu logo stands out.

Ok, I give up. Here's what I wrote first, with the mistake fixed:

quote:

The easy way is to find 6 versions of the icon you want: one at 16x16, one at 22x22, one at 24x24, one at 32x32, one at 48x48 (all of these are .PNG's) and one SVG. It's probably easiest to just find an SVG, import it into Gimp (install gimp-svg if you don't have the SVG plugin) and then export to PNG at the 5 different sizes.

Then copy these files to:

code:
/usr/share/icons/gnome/16x16/places/start-here.png
/usr/share/icons/gnome/22x22/places/start-here.png
/usr/share/icons/gnome/24x24/places/start-here.png
/usr/share/icons/gnome/32x32/places/start-here.png
/usr/share/icons/gnome/scalable/places/start-here.svg

/usr/share/icons/Human/22x22/places/start-here.png
/usr/share/icons/Human/24x24/places/start-here.png
/usr/share/icons/Human/48x48/places/start-here.png
/usr/share/icons/Human/scalable/places/start-here.svg
Don't forget to back up the originals first! (You can probably get away with only saving overtop of some of these files instead of all of them, but this will guarantee you've gotten everything.)

Oh, hey, I just found some handy Gnome foot SVG's on my system - they're in

code:
/usr/share/icons/Amaranth/scalable/apps/gnome-logo.svg
/usr/share/icons/Nuvola/scalable/apps/gnome-logo.svg
/usr/share/icons/Wasp/scalable/apps/gnome-logo.svg
(Note that's "apps", not "places", which is why they're not actually used.)

The drawback to doing it this way is that next time you upgrade, Ubuntu will install its standard icons overtop of the ones you just put there, so you'll have to save them and remember to copy them over again next time you upgrade.

The "correct" way is to make a new theme, containing just those icons you want to replace, and set it to inherit from the theme you're using right now. (You might also need to make it inherit from "Human" and "gnome" to be sure it inherits all the right icons, I'm not sure.) Take a look at any of the "index.theme" files in /usr/share/icons/ - it shouldn't be too hard to figure out. Then Ubuntu can do what it wants to the standard themes, and your theme will use the icons you've added and go back to the standard ones for each icon that's not overridden in your theme.

But when I actually tried to do this, it replaced the icons in the "Add to Panel" menu, and for the "Main Menu" applet (which is where they just have a single icon, not named menus), but the "Menu Bar" applet (the default Ubuntu one, with the icon and the words Applications, Places and System) it still uses the Ubuntu logo! I have no idea where it gets it from.

JoeNotCharles fucked around with this message at 22:57 on May 6, 2007

Crush
Jan 18, 2004
jot bought me this account, I now have to suck him off.

JoeNotCharles posted:

EDIT: don't do this yet, I made dangerous mistakes. Testing and will update in a minute.

By all means, don't put your own computer at risk. I was just curious if there was a sure fire way of doing this.

Technowrite
Jan 18, 2006

I first battled the Metroids on Planet Zebes.

skroll posted:

Is the laptop a Windows machine? If so, and the new Ubuntu machine has the newest version (this may be true on older versions as well), and you are using Gnome, simply right click on a folder and click "Share". All too easy, isn't it?

Sorry, I knew I forgot some things to tell you guys. The Laptop is Windows XP, and I'm trying to move files from the Windows machine to the Linux Machine.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

JoeNotCharles posted:

Ok, I give up. Here's what I wrote first, with the mistake fixed:

But when I actually tried to do this, it replaced the icons in the "Add to Panel" menu, and for the "Main Menu" applet (which is where they just have a single icon, not named menus), but the "Menu Bar" applet (the default Ubuntu one, with the icon and the words Applications, Places and System) it still uses the Ubuntu logo! I have no idea where it gets it from.

You should replace actual files with the images that you want to be used instead of the default logo, not add yet another item to the panel. Logo is a part of the menu bar applet.

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive
fuseiso isn't being terribly nice:

code:

mkdir ~/iso ; fuseiso ~/diskimage.iso ~/iso

[B]fuse: failed to exec fusermount: Permission denied[/B]

sudo chmod u+s `which fuseiso`

fuseiso ~/diskimage.iso ~/iso

[B]fusermount: failed to open /dev/fuse: Permission denied[/B]

When i run sudo fuseiso ~/diskimage.iso ~/iso , only root has permission to read ~/iso even when it is owned by user :argh:

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

DEAD MAN'S SHOE posted:

fuseiso isn't being terribly nice:

code:
[B]fuse: failed to exec fusermount: Permission denied[/B]

When i run sudo fuseiso ~/diskimage.iso ~/iso , only root has permission to read ~/iso even when it is owned by user :argh:

Both of your problems come from your userid not being in the fuse group, and whoever packaged your fuse-utils/kernel decided that's how they'd control access.

(fusermount is probably setuid root but only group-executable / owned by group fuse)

JoeNotCharles
Mar 3, 2005

teapot posted:

You should replace actual files with the images that you want to be used instead of the default logo, not add yet another item to the panel. Logo is a part of the menu bar applet.

I thought that's what I did do. (And I don't know what that last sentence means. Can you rephrase?)

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

ok, this is kind of unusual.

On Ubuntu 7.04, I suddenly can't sudo.

code:
xxxx@xxxxx:~$ sudo
usage: sudo -K | -L | -V | -h | -k | -l | -v
usage: sudo [-HPSb] [-p prompt] [-u username|#uid]
            { -e file [...] | -i | -s | <command> }
xxxx@xxxxx:~$ sudo -s
xxxx@xxxxx:~$ sudo apt-get install fusesmb
xxxx@xxxxx:~$ groups
xxxx fuse
/etc/sudoers looked perfectly normal, with %admin ALL=(ALL) ALL

running synaptic:

quote:

Failed to run /usr/sbin/synaptic as user root.

The underlying authorisation mechanism (sudo) does not allow you to run this program. Contact the system administrator.

what the heck happened

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

JoeNotCharles posted:

I thought that's what I did do.
If you have replaced the files, just log out and log in again.

quote:

(And I don't know what that last sentence means. Can you rephrase?)
Main Menu applet doesn't re-read the icons when they are changed, so unless it's restarted, it will display the original icon.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

DEAD MAN'S SHOE posted:

ok, this is kind of unusual.

On Ubuntu 7.04, I suddenly can't sudo.

code:
xxxx@xxxxx:~$ sudo
usage: sudo -K | -L | -V | -h | -k | -l | -v
usage: sudo [-HPSb] [-p prompt] [-u username|#uid]
            { -e file [...] | -i | -s | <command> }
xxxx@xxxxx:~$ sudo -s
xxxx@xxxxx:~$ sudo apt-get install fusesmb
xxxx@xxxxx:~$ groups
xxxx fuse
/etc/sudoers looked perfectly normal, with %admin ALL=(ALL) ALL

running synaptic:

what the heck happened

Are you running as root after sudo -s ?

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

teapot posted:

Are you running as root after sudo -s ?

No, sudo does nothing in any form. Same goes for sudo -K ; sudo whatever.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

DEAD MAN'S SHOE posted:

No, sudo does nothing in any form. Same goes for sudo -K ; sudo whatever.

I mean, in the example. sudo -s should make you root until you exit the shell.

In any case, you have to make sure that you are in the admin group (in /etc/group file ). If you can't login as root (root login is disabled by default), use a live CD to boot and edit that file. If you are in that group in that file, yet groups doesn't return it, log out and log in again.

JoeNotCharles
Mar 3, 2005

teapot posted:

If you have replaced the files, just log out and log in again.

Main Menu applet doesn't re-read the icons when they are changed, so unless it's restarted, it will display the original icon.

I thought I did that. I might have forgotten to the second time I was testing things. If that's all it was, then I'm much less confused.

blueninja
Sep 24, 2005

Sometimes my MP3 player (audacious using the ALSA output plugin, set to the audio device 'default') will be unable to open the audio device. It normally works but sometimes when starting again after it being stopped it refuses. Other programs will be unable to play sound as well after this happens. It seems to me like there is some locking conflict over the audio device. I thought ALSA did some sort of mixing, allowing several programs to use the device at once but I guess I was mistaken.

How can I figure out which process has locked the device and which device is it (/dev/dsp?). I thought 'lsof | grep dsp' should find something but it doesn't.

EDIT: Solved. Using lsof I found that some program had snatched a device called /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p. Killed that process and I could open the device again.

blueninja fucked around with this message at 14:56 on May 8, 2007

Farts
Nov 4, 2005
Anyone know why i'm having trouble configuring my wireless network in Ubuntu? It's a fresh install on a Dell Latitude D420 laptop, and when I setup the wireless, I only have the option to connect using a WEP key.

I have an unsecured wireless network.

FistLips
Dec 14, 2004

Must I dream and always see your face?
Quoting myself from another thread that's more or less dead...

Xinopay posted:

OK, I got a question: How can I activate my TV Out? I've understood that I'll need to use aticonfig with some parameter, but what? I'm in Norway, so my TV is PAL A/B. My graphics card is a Ati Mobility Radeon 9700, and I've connected it with S-video. Using Feisty Fawn...

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Kantaris posted:

Anyone know why i'm having trouble configuring my wireless network in Ubuntu? It's a fresh install on a Dell Latitude D420 laptop, and when I setup the wireless, I only have the option to connect using a WEP key.

I have an unsecured wireless network.

Just don't enter WEP key at all.

I assume, you are using Dapper or Edgy because Feisty has network-manager with a different interface.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Xinopay posted:

OK, I got a question: How can I activate my TV Out? I've understood that I'll need to use aticonfig with some parameter, but what? I'm in Norway, so my TV is PAL A/B. My graphics card is a Ati Mobility Radeon 9700, and I've connected it with S-video. Using Feisty Fawn...

I have no idea if there are any utilities that configure it in a more automated manner, however it should work if you add a second monitor and screen into /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Unless something changed since the time when it was written, you need to add

code:
Option "VideoOverlay"  
Option "OverlayOnCRTC2"
into the existing "Device" section for your screen, add another "Device" section:

code:
Section "Device"
Identifier "ATI Graphics Adapter connector 1"
Driver "fglrx"
Option "VideoOverlay" "on"
BusID "PCI:2:0:0"
Screen 1
EndSection
(BusID should be the same as the first adapter)

and another "Screen" section:

code:
Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen1"
Device "ATI Graphics Adapter connector 1"
Monitor "Monitor1"
DefaultDepth 24
#Option "backingstore"

Subsection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "640x480"
ViewPort 0 0
EndSubsection
EndSection
and change "ServerLayout" section to include both screens:

code:
Screen "Screen0"
Screen "Screen1" RightOf "Screen0"
(assuming that your original screen is called "Screen0", and for the purposes of handling mouse pointer your TV is to the right from the main screen)

Very likely there is something that automatically generates this configuration now -- this is how the procedure looked in 2005.

FistLips
Dec 14, 2004

Must I dream and always see your face?
Yeah, I think that it's the 'aticonfig'-tool that'll do this for me, but I can't figure out the syntax for it. Not that I think it's THAT hard or complicated, it's just that there I so many options I can't figure out where to start...thanks anyway, I'll use your method if I can't figure it out somehow.

Also, I read somewhere that S-Video isn't hot-swappable in Linux? Cause it surely is in Windows.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Xinopay posted:

Yeah, I think that it's the 'aticonfig'-tool that'll do this for me, but I can't figure out the syntax for it. Not that I think it's THAT hard or complicated, it's just that there I so many options I can't figure out where to start...thanks anyway, I'll use your method if I can't figure it out somehow.
I have never used aticonfig, so I have no idea what syntax does it use.

quote:

Also, I read somewhere that S-Video isn't hot-swappable in Linux? Cause it surely is in Windows.
S-Video is analog, so it should be hot-swappable in everything.

Farts
Nov 4, 2005

teapot posted:

Just don't enter WEP key at all.

I assume, you are using Dapper or Edgy because Feisty has network-manager with a different interface.

I have 7.04, which I believe is fiesty fawn?

The problem is, the ONLY options I have to choose from WEP hex, or WEP ascii, there are NO other options.

I might download an older version and try to install it.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Kantaris posted:

I have 7.04, which I believe is fiesty fawn?

The problem is, the ONLY options I have to choose from WEP hex, or WEP ascii, there are NO other options.
What you probably have is Edgy upgraded to Feisty, so it doesn't have Network Manager (should be visible as an applet in Notification area, and give you a list of networks on left click, options to enable and disable network and wireless on right click).

quote:

I might download an older version and try to install it.
This won't do you any good because what you have IS from an older version. Install Feisty from scratch, or manually install network manager and its applet, then remove entries from /etc/network/interfaces

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
Why is Gparted not letting me resize my NTFS partition? I have about 10Gbs of unallocated space that I need in the Windows partition... I thought it'd be easy to do this, but not so much when I can't click on "resize" :v: What am I missing here?

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Alfajor posted:

Why is Gparted not letting me resize my NTFS partition? I have about 10Gbs of unallocated space that I need in the Windows partition... I thought it'd be easy to do this, but not so much when I can't click on "resize" :v: What am I missing here?

Last I checked Gparted wasn't able to write to NTFS partitions, just read them.

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003
Zupht0r 6000 Turbo Type-R

Alfajor posted:

Because it's mounted. You can't do anything to a mounted partition.

If you're still having problems, I had nothing but good luck with the gparted boot CD.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
I figured as much, and tried to "unmount" it, but it wouldn't let me. Ah well, here I go to make a boot cd.

Farts
Nov 4, 2005

teapot posted:

What you probably have is Edgy upgraded to Feisty, so it doesn't have Network Manager (should be visible as an applet in Notification area, and give you a list of networks on left click, options to enable and disable network and wireless on right click).

This won't do you any good because what you have IS from an older version. Install Feisty from scratch, or manually install network manager and its applet, then remove entries from /etc/network/interfaces

I did install it from scratch. I downloaded the newest version from the ubuntu website. I'll look around to find out how to manually install the network manager, although I'm pretty sure I have the network manager now.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Kantaris posted:

I did install it from scratch. I downloaded the newest version from the ubuntu website. I'll look around to find out how to manually install the network manager, although I'm pretty sure I have the network manager now.

Do you have "nm-applet" process running?

code:
ps x |grep nm-applet | grep -v grep
should return one line with nm-applet process.

fatcat
Jun 18, 2004

albert's lookin at you
I'm running Ubuntu 7.04 on a Thinkpad T43 with an ATI X300 video card, and I'm trying to use my S-video port to display video on my TV. It works, but it doesn't work perfectly. I want my screen to stretch on to my TV rather than mirror, but it only stretches at the GDM login screen. Once I login, it switches to mirroring. This is very annoying. Anyone know how I might fix it?

Farts
Nov 4, 2005

teapot posted:

Do you have "nm-applet" process running?

code:
ps x |grep nm-applet | grep -v grep
should return one line with nm-applet process.

Returned with
code:
5584 ?            S      0:00 nm-applet --sm-disable

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Kantaris posted:

Returned with
code:
5584 ?            S      0:00 nm-applet --sm-disable

If so, you should see network manager icon in notification area. If you click on it, does it show available network interfaces and wireless networks, or the only entry is "Manual configuration"? What does it show (and what items are checked) on right click?

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

fatcat posted:

I'm running Ubuntu 7.04 on a Thinkpad T43 with an ATI X300 video card, and I'm trying to use my S-video port to display video on my TV. It works, but it doesn't work perfectly. I want my screen to stretch on to my TV rather than mirror, but it only stretches at the GDM login screen. Once I login, it switches to mirroring. This is very annoying. Anyone know how I might fix it?

Enable Xinerama.

Farts
Nov 4, 2005

teapot posted:

If so, you should see network manager icon in notification area. If you click on it, does it show available network interfaces and wireless networks, or the only entry is "Manual configuration"? What does it show (and what items are checked) on right click?

manual configuration. When I try to setup my wireless network manually, it asks for

Network Name (ESSID): linksys
Password type: (WEP key hexadecimal OR WEP key ascii) I ONLY have the two options listed here for the two WEP keys. That is is, nothing for any other type of encryption, and nothing to select unsecure wireless network. My network is UNSECURED (yes, yes I know. it shouldn't be)
Network password: blank

And then I have my IP settings all setup (the access point leases out three IP addresses, I have tries to set up DHCP and manual)

When I click the icon in the corner, all I have are options for wired connection, and manual configuration. Wired is greyed out. (not plugged in)

Farts fucked around with this message at 03:31 on May 9, 2007

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Kantaris posted:

manual configuration. When I try to setup my wireless network manually, it asks for

Network Name (ESSID): linksys
Password type: (WEP key hexadecimal OR WEP key ascii) I ONLY have the two options listed here for the two WEP keys. That is is, nothing for any other type of encryption, and nothing to select unsecure wireless network. My network is UNSECURED (yes, yes I know. it shouldn't be)
Network password: blank

And then I have my IP settings all setup (the access point leases out three IP addresses, I have tries to set up DHCP and manual)

When I click the icon in the corner, all I have are options for wired connection, and manual configuration. Wired is greyed out. (not plugged in)

This happens because /etc/network/interfaces contains your wireless interface. I don't remember if it is sufficient to disable it in manual configuration, or you have to manually remove it from that file, but Network Manager only handles interfaces that ARE NOT IN THAT FILE.

Farts
Nov 4, 2005

teapot posted:

This happens because /etc/network/interfaces contains your wireless interface. I don't remember if it is sufficient to disable it in manual configuration, or you have to manually remove it from that file, but Network Manager only handles interfaces that ARE NOT IN THAT FILE.

well, I cleared out that file with sudo gedit, however, I setup a connection to a new wireless network via the network manager and setup the ssid as linksys and encryption none.

However, it never actually connected, it said my connection was 0% signal. My Wii and windows xp laptop can connect just fine. I will have to tinker with this in the morning because I am tired now and time to go to sleep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Kantaris posted:

well, I cleared out that file with sudo gedit, however, I setup a connection to a new wireless network via the network manager and setup the ssid as linksys and encryption none.

However, it never actually connected, it said my connection was 0% signal. My Wii and windows xp laptop can connect just fine. I will have to tinker with this in the morning because I am tired now and time to go to sleep.
So it is visible in Network Manager, but it shows 0% signal in the list, and you can't connect to it?

Or do you use manual configuration of connection (why?) and if so, do you by any chance configure an Ad-Hoc (peer to peer) wireless network instead of Managed (access point-based) one? If everything is working properly, Network Manager should show access point in the list of wireless networks, and you should be able to just select it.