Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JoshuaWoulf
Jan 26, 2006

by Ozma

Yarrington posted:

Bloodnose where is your laptop?

I too would like to know this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Hey guys I realize it's now 8 PM and I haven't posted, but I thought this project would be done sooner. Once again all my games are gonna have to go a day without me posting, and I do apologize, but this thing is 60% of my grade.

Thanks for understanding.

Hammer of Loki
Nov 29, 2005

Now get me some nails
Finals, work, and graduation have descended onto me in a complete clusterfuck. Posting will be slow in all games for about five more days.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Yarrington posted:

Bloodnose where is your laptop?

JoshuaWoulf posted:

I too would like to know this.

Only God knows at this point, but it can't be far from me, it just can't. I know it isn't in Reno yet, but once I get that call, it means it's only a day away.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Actually, I do know some things now!

I called Alienware and worked my way through the bureaucracy, the computer is at their facility now and I gave them some more money (always with the money, isn't it?) and now they're going to send it out to Reno by 2-day express mail. Then, once it's in Reno, the manager there will ship it out to me overnight in New York. My guess is that I'll be seeing my computer sometime on Monday, then this nightmare will finally end.

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Drill this weekend, so from Friday night to Sunday afternoon, I'll be unavailable for ManiacClown's and Doc Bubonic's Deadlands games.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

Dedman Walkin posted:

Drill this weekend, so from Friday night to Sunday afternoon, I'll be unavailable for ManiacClown's and Doc Bubonic's Deadlands games.

Dedman, will do. By the way what kind of unit are you with?

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

keyboard_exploding_spacebar_broken_oh_god_posting_will_resume_if_i_fix_this_or_buy_a_new_board_tomorrow

EDIT: VICTORY. For how long, dunno. But I did it! Keyboard works better than ever now, yay.

Black August fucked around with this message at 03:47 on May 5, 2007

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Sorry I haven't been posting much most of this week. Expect this trend to continue through Tuesday or so.

I had a sudden explosion of social life. A friend got engaged, requested me to do engagement photos on Wednesday. They treated me to dinner Thursday and a movie last night (Friday).

Spider-Man 3 was fun, by the way, but sad ending man =(.

Get up today, went to work for a few hours, then, won some tickets to an event tomorrow (thanks K92FM). Had to drive an hour and a half to get the tickets today...went ahead and just made a day out of it. Gonna do the same tomorrow. Then it's back to work full time Monday and Tuesday...

I'm exhausted. I'll return to my regularly scheduled posting soon.

Hammer of Loki
Nov 29, 2005

Now get me some nails
I'm moving out of my house right now, and my internet will be gone. I'll try my best to update in my games tonight, I just have to use someone else's computer and have the time for it.

Moving is stressful! :argh:

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Given
Finals last until Wednesday.

Then
Lim(Stress,t->Wednesday) = Infinite
Lim(Free(t),t->Wednesday) = 0

Conclusion
Posting will be extremely reduced until t >= Wednesday.

Yarrington
Jun 13, 2002

While I will admit to a certain cynicism, I am a nay-sayer and hatchet man in the fight against violence. I pride myself in taking a punch and I'll gladly take another.
Crunch time at work, time and brainpower limited.

Of Tangible Words
Jul 30, 2006
1. Suppose we have a Turing Machine that recognises an alphabet {0,1}, and includes support for the special characters {<,_}. You may assume that epsilon, the empty string, is part of the recognised alphabet and will result in a Halt if detected.

a) Given a timetable of 9 exams for a 17-day period, propose a way in which this schedule could be represented in a recognisable format by the Turing Machine.

b) Extending this, present the following timetable in your decided format:

code:
1. Algorithmics			Tue 8 May
2. Software Development		Fri 11 May	
3. Programming Languages	Mon 14 May	
4. Advanced Programming		Wed 16 May
5. Operating Systems		Thur 17 May
6. Networked Systems		Fri 18 May
7. Database Systems		Mon 21 May
8. Interactive Systems		Tue 22 May
9. C				Wed 23 May
c) Let us extend the recognised alphabet to {0,1-9,a-i}, and represent each exam day with a number corresponding to the table above. Furthermore, let us assume that the characters a-i map to their numerical position in the English alphabet.

Assuming an errant student had failed to adequately revise for this examination period, design a set of relations for the Turing Machine that, given the examination period (in a format expressing exam days and free days, extending your answer to part b) can optimally organise the use of free days for the purposes of revising for these exams.

State and justify your "optimal" solution.

a. On the tape, examination days could be represented by 1's, while free days could be represented by 0's. < Would mark the start of the tape, and unused cells on the tape could be deliminated by _'s.

b. "<_01001001011100111"

c. oh god what the gently caress how am i meant to cram all of this into such a short space of time oh poo poo oh jesus no

TypoDemon
Apr 12, 2004

Go ahead. Take it from me.
Seems like my router pooped on itself. Seems like I'll be able to post fairly intermittently for a bit. Seems like I'm going to cry for shoddy products and confusing India-based technical/customer support runarounds.

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Bunch of finals this week. Some delays may result.

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
Ignore this poo poo. Just me having a panic attack.

Swags fucked around with this message at 11:22 on May 9, 2007

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Alright this is going to be quick and to the point, I am stressing too hard right now to think or write long winded stuff.

I have failed yet another class. In addition to losing a $5000/yr scholarship I am now facing the prospect of dropping $1400 to go to summer school, in addition to rent/food/bills/etc. This means I need a summer job, and more importantly I clearly need to refocus my priorities. Which means less internet. If you want to call me Kerison or whatever, go ahead because honestly this is all sort of below my radar at the moment.

Boilerplate Ops is dead. Again.
Metroid will never die, as it is destined to walk the Earth for all time until its endless post hunger is satiated. I am powerless to stop this juggernaut.
ADOM will remain as well.
Even though it's a pretty high maintenance game, I can't bring myself to drop Black Ops 2.

Sorry Boilerplate players.

Edit: On second thought, ADOM is staying.

oobey fucked around with this message at 23:34 on May 9, 2007

Yarrington
Jun 13, 2002

While I will admit to a certain cynicism, I am a nay-sayer and hatchet man in the fight against violence. I pride myself in taking a punch and I'll gladly take another.
Work is not showing signs of letting up either this week, next week, or perhaps longer. If you're a professional software developer, you know and dread crunch time. Not only does this mean longer hours at work, it means even when I am home, all I am really capable of doing is shoving frozen food in my mouth while staring blankly at the television. If I'm lucky, I'll have remembered to microwave it first.

Combine this with my need to find a new apartment and move in the next few weeks and I have a situation where I really need to drop games. I honestly haven't even had the brain cycles to spare to even decide what will stay and what will go yet. Now that I think about it though, that's not entirely fair, so I guess I will try and make some decisions now.

I can't bring myself to drop anything yet, as I really enjoy the games I am in, but here is my current state of mind:

code:
Safe           Questionable
Scion          Black Ops II
Talislanta     Dogs in the Vineyard
SSS            Dynatronics Unlimited
               B&BIII
               Vampire

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Why is everyone melting down? :(

Good luck guys. Oobey/Yarr, whereabouts are you located? Drop me a line, I might be able to help you out if you're in AZ. (Particularly Yarr, my father is a landlord and might have a line on a good place, since he watches the market.)

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

Yarrington posted:

code:
Safe           Questionable
Scion          Black Ops II
Talislanta     Dogs in the Vineyard
SSS            Dynatronics Unlimited
               B&BIII
               Vampire

You are officially welcome back in any of my poo poo. If you need to take a break for a mission, that is fine. You too oobey, if it comes to it.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

Yarrington posted:

Combine this with my need to find a new apartment and move in the next few weeks

Hey, you and me are in the same boat, buddy!

Don't worry about Vampire, though. I don't see it as being a particularly fast-moving game at the moment, especially since you know what I'm dealing with as far as the real estate market (except multiply that by A BILLION for being in stupid New York). I'd also hate to see you gone from that particular one since you were its inspiration, if you recall.

Anyway, good luck with the moving and don't stress more than you have to.

Yarrington
Jun 13, 2002

The real estate part thankfully isn't as much of a problem, I've found a place I like with availability, but there are a couple pretty major sticking points and it is pricy, so I am playing hardball with them to see if I can negotiate a better lease. It's just a little extra stress on top of work, and the fact that they are only open during working hours doesn't help much either.

Good luck with the NYC apartment search Bloodnose, that isn't something I envy at all, as much as I'd prefer living in a bigger city. One thing I can say for Houston is that the real estate market is a lot friendlier.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

Yarrington posted:

Good luck with the NYC apartment search Bloodnose, that isn't something I envy at all, as much as I'd prefer living in a bigger city. One thing I can say for Houston is that the real estate market is a lot friendlier.

If you wanna move to Chi, the market is pretty easy!

:P

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub

oobey posted:

I have failed yet another class.

I'm right there with you, bud. Mere inches from graduation, everything has fallen apart, and now I'm up poo poo creek sans my conservatory standing. Not trying to make this about me; just letting you know I empathize.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
Also, for the record, I still have no computer. The Reno office says they have not seen any boxes for me yet. I called Alienware and they can't even give me a FedEx tracking number.

Now, you might remember that I was told it was going out 2-day express a week ago, so I've decided that FedEx must live in bizzarro world where two days are made up of six hundred hours.

I'm gonna call Alienware tomorrow and see what the deal is, this is beyond ridiculous, this is beyond ludicrous, as far as I know there isn't a word for what this is (supply one if you can think of one!), but I know it sucks. Does anyone have some chocolate or some ice cream they can send me? I've run out of old books from which to rip pages in anger and punching the refrigerator is really starting to hurt my knuckles.

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness

Winson_Paine posted:

If you wanna move to Chi, the market is pretty easy!

:P

That's good to know, the Girl might still do her PhD work at U of Chicago, but that'll probably be at least a few years out. For now, I'll be moving to Pullman, WA in the next few months.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Bloodnose posted:

I'm gonna call Alienware tomorrow and see what the deal is, this is beyond ridiculous, this is beyond ludicrous, as far as I know there isn't a word for what this is (supply one if you can think of one!), but I know it sucks.

That is a TRAVESHAMOCKERY.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Hey guys I'm still alive. I know I promised updates after Tuesday, but give me until tomorrow (Thursday).

I have no excuse except that my shiny new camera arrived and I spent all day snapping pictures. I stopped at about 300 and spent the rest of the night weeding out the good ones. Sorry guys. =\

Yarrington
Jun 13, 2002

Bloodnose posted:

I'm gonna call Alienware tomorrow and see what the deal is, this is beyond ridiculous, this is beyond ludicrous, as far as I know there isn't a word for what this is (supply one if you can think of one!)

Catastrafuck.

sansuki
May 17, 2003

ConfusedUs posted:

Hey guys I'm still alive. I know I promised updates after Tuesday, but give me until tomorrow (Thursday).

I have no excuse except that my shiny new camera arrived and I spent all day snapping pictures. I stopped at about 300 and spent the rest of the night weeding out the good ones. Sorry guys. =\

You have a day, and then, you will be taking more pictures.

Pictures of the interior of your colon.

Because I will shove your camera up your butt.

you suck.

Tenshi
Oct 8, 2003

she's actual size
hi

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Tenshi posted:

hi

how are the duckies

Tenshi
Oct 8, 2003

she's actual size

Mukaikubo posted:

how are the duckies

who likes the little little duckies in the pond?

i do, i do, i do, a-chicka-quack-quack

blurry!
Jun 14, 2006

Sorry for Party Flocking
Facing some major problems with life. Updates are sporadic what with me trying to find a new place to live and a new job to support myself. Sorry for the flake-like behavior. I just need some time to get my life back on track.

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!
I'm going away for a few days and won't have regular internet access until Sunday. I will still try to post at least once a day, though.

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness

blurry! posted:

Facing some major problems with life. Updates are sporadic what with me trying to find a new place to live and a new job to support myself. Sorry for the flake-like behavior. I just need some time to get my life back on track.

Is this TG gets fired and evicted week? Seriously.

Good luck, man.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
Hey guys, another chapter in the horror story. Today I called Alienware and asked for a tracking number yet again, this time I finally got some answers from a very helpful woman who said "they're just looking over everything again and making sure the system is working and making sure everything is correct." Now that didn't sound right to me, so I asked "what?" and, sure enough, the woman repeated herself. So, still very confused, I asked: "so it hasn't even been shipped yet?" and she answered, "that is correct."

Okay, so by now I'm irate. I'm beyond irate, I'm beyond vocabulary, but I'm still keeping my cool because I know customer service people probably don't react well to screamingly mad customers. I calmly, coolly, politely ask (demand) to speak to a supervisor. I get my supervisor and tell him my horror story (he had to interrupt me several times so I could repeat myself), and he assures me that he'll 'get right on it' after I told him that "really, I need some action taken right away here because I'm out more than $1200 here and have nothing to show for it. I'm starting to feel like I've been defrauded."

So I dunno, I guess I'll call them on Monday and make sure it's coming along. I think using the word 'fraud' should expidite things a little.

JoshuaWoulf
Jan 26, 2006

by Ozma
Bloodnose: I'd ask for a repair log or some sort of physical documentation of all the work they did, because if they can't produce that I'm sure there's some legal precedent to help you get some sort of compensation for everything they've put you through. I mean, there must be some sort of grounds for fraud, considering they've told you how many times that it'll "Be out before the end of the week!" and such?

JoshuaWoulf fucked around with this message at 21:52 on May 10, 2007

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

I'm going to be gone from tomorrow afternoon to maybe Saturday night late, maybe Sunday morning. Looking at apartments up in WEST LAFAYETTE INDIANA :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis
I've been feeling like poo poo for the last couple of days. Flu or upper respiratory infection probably. My posting will continue to be on the low end of things until I feel better.