Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Strudel Man posted:

Penchant. A pension for the dramatic would be something rather different. :eng101:

No one corrects me! *equips vibroknuckles*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Gunjin posted:

From the giant in the playground site.

gently caress you man! I don't need your facts!

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Wolfsheim posted:

Geez, did everyone bitch this much when Durkon used weather control in a ridiculous way?

I thought that was pretty lame. I do not even understand what happened there. Why are trees more vulnerably to loud sounds than anything else? :colbert:

Efreet saiid
Jan 29, 2006

by Lowtax
Dude it's loving sonic, sonic is awesome. It's actually the best damage type because nobody is resistant to it.

I think the thunder thing was cool, and had a less overwhelming effect. I'm willing to let the bouncy-call slide because it wasn't used for the walkover I thought at was at the time.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Efreet saiid posted:

Dude it's loving sonic, sonic is awesome. It's actually the best damage type because nobody is resistant to it.

Then how did it not kill the entire city including Durkon and Vaarsuvius? :mad:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Vanadium posted:

Are YOU going to argue with Thor about it?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Vanadium posted:

Clearly the shockwave was more or less an expanding horizontal line and Durkon and Vaarsavius were both under it but it hit the treants at waist level! Also every building and citizen was magically warded against sonic attack

EDIT: Vanadium, Vaarsuvius tried to burn and zap the trees to death but then the druid bragged that he'd magically immunized them against fire and lightning attack. Sound beams killed them because they weren't shielded against them.

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 19:13 on May 11, 2007

BondageHoudini
Jul 12, 2006

this debate lacks any sexual intrigue so I am not even paying attention

Ferrinus posted:

Clearly the shockwave was more or less an expanding horizontal line and Durkon and Vaarsavius were both under it but it hit the treants at waist level! Also every building and citizen was magically warded against sonic attack

Why, that's ridiculous! BURLEEEEEW :argh:

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Vanadium posted:

I thought that was pretty lame. I do not even understand what happened there. Why are trees more vulnerably to loud sounds than anything else? :colbert:

The angel with Thor at the time was even saying that it's not how the spell worked. 4th wall right there.

Efreet saiid
Jan 29, 2006

by Lowtax

Ferrinus posted:

EDIT: Vanadium, Vaarsuvius tried to burn and zap the trees to death but then the druid bragged that he'd magically immunized them against fire and lightning attack. Sound beams killed them because they weren't shielded against them.
hhahaha you fool, nobody is ever shielded against sonic!

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Efreet saiid posted:

hhahaha you fool, nobody is ever shielded against sonic!

I'm sorry I can't hear you I'm shielded against sonic

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

There seems no plan because it is all plan. There seems no center because it is all center.
You know we if started a "The Order of the Stick: Stupid Rules Arguments" Thread, and go back to the beginning, I'm sure it would keep some people engaged for weeks and weeks. I mean, that crown, it's supposedly not magic, but it just floats above Xykons head. What in the Hell's up with that?

Spaz mk. 2.0
Apr 19, 2005

Shank 'em if ya got 'em, fellas!

gothfae posted:

I mean, that crown, it's supposedly not magic, but it just floats above Xykons head. What in the Hell's up with that?

It's a badass crown, it doesn't need magic to tell the laws of physics to gently caress off.

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005

gothfae posted:

You know we if started a "The Order of the Stick: Stupid Rules Arguments" Thread, and go back to the beginning, I'm sure it would keep some people engaged for weeks and weeks. I mean, that crown, it's supposedly not magic, but it just floats above Xykons head. What in the Hell's up with that?

Xykon has a magic head.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Spaz mk. 2.0 posted:

It's a badass crown, it doesn't need magic to tell the laws of physics to gently caress off.

I don't know why, but this made me laugh pretty hard.

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

There seems no plan because it is all plan. There seems no center because it is all center.
Boredom in a Friday night.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

gothfae posted:

Boredom in a Friday night.

You should've altered his last speech bubble to say something like "...so that's exactly what I did! Hope you guys enjoyed it as much as I did!"

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

Ferrinus posted:

You should've altered his last speech bubble to say something like "...so that's exactly what I did! Hope you guys enjoyed it as much as I did!"

You're right, but I'm too tired and am taking a nap now :)

Sam Hall
Jun 29, 2003

:siren:New strip's up:siren:

drat, redcloak's getting all :black101: now

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I kind of want the hobgoblins to win now :shobon:

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

Sam Hall posted:

:siren:New strip's up:siren:

drat, redcloak's getting all :black101: now

This was his "Remember Who You ARE!" moment, I think.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Here's a waffleimages copy of the strip since the site's going to go down like a drunk girl on prom night any moment now.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

gothfae posted:

This was his "Remember Who You ARE!" moment, I think.

You go Redcloak! One Hit Die Punk solidarity, One Hit Die Punks 4 Lyfe!

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I love every character in this comic.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
All I can say is, Belkar is truly badass.

evilsake
Oct 25, 2004

by Fragmaster
I guess I'm the only one who thinks this sudden change of heart for Redcloak is kind of dumb. He's never struck me as particularly heroic or caring whether dealing with goblins or hobgoblins. For him to get all gung ho now just because a member of a race he despises naively saves him (a naivete he's been exploiting) doesn't seem very consistent.

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

Gyges posted:

Well, how many Chaotic Evil Halfling Ranger/Barbarians are there in the world to... uhm.. look up to.

sakesniper posted:

I guess I'm the only one who thinks this sudden change of heart for Redcloak is kind of dumb.

No idea, but it should give people something to argue about until Monday. Thanks! :doom:

gothfae fucked around with this message at 06:47 on May 12, 2007

Hedgehog King
Feb 7, 2005
It's just after lunch time on a Thursday. Do you know where your towel is?

Gyges posted:

Tiny Fire-Breathing Avatar of Death. Sexy Shoeless God of War.

He had better get SOME XP out of this. Even if it is just Role-playing XP for being such a bad rear end.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
Huh. Redcloak is 15th level or so. A bit more powerful than the OOTS and he must be using an alternate summon monster list because I don't see fiendish elephant or mastodon on the standard list.

evilsake
Oct 25, 2004

by Fragmaster

gothfae posted:

No idea, but it should give people something to argue about until Monday. Thanks! :doom:

Oh no, the horror.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
If Redcloak wants the war to end NOW, why doesn't he let the shadow-covered monster fight?

Sock
Oct 8, 2001
Do me. Do me.
When was it mentioned that Redcloak's job was to lead the goblin people?

Sam Hall
Jun 29, 2003

Gyges posted:

speaking of; am I the only one who's mentally assigned Belkar the voice of Hesh from sealab 2021?

edit: holy god this is completely incredible

Sam Hall fucked around with this message at 13:35 on May 12, 2007

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

Backdoor Blanche posted:

If Redcloak wants the war to end NOW, why doesn't he let the shadow-covered monster fight?

Goblin honor (tm), A general decision by Redcloak the The MitD is useless, the running gag of no-one ever using it for anything.

And I don't know about Belkar, though for some reason when I imagine Little Nephew on Achewood rapping I imagine him with MC Chris's voice.

Redcloak is a Cleric, of unknown god, he is also the leader of the Hobgoblin's having annihilated a minion in front of the previous leader. So all the Goblin people? Probably not. This little section of them. At least as much as any Cheif/Spiritual leader should be.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Sock posted:

When was it mentioned that Redcloak's job was to lead the goblin people?

Well as a fairly high-level cleric to whoever the god of goblins is in this setting, he's definately got a lot of responsibility to the race/humanoid subtype and since he's the head lackey of the big-bossman, he's the goblin boss.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
I love those hell-roaches. They always have a cute line.

Geshtal
Nov 8, 2006

So that's the post you've decided to go with, is it?
Sorry to shoehorn in on the, um... "discussion" (for Pete's sake, he used a Titanium Elemental and people are getting pissy about the rules now?), but has anyone taken the trouble to translate what Haley was saying all that time she incomprehensible? I realize that a different code was used for each one, but if I could draw your attention to this strip: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0309.html.

Since she though out in English was her first spoken line was, it made it very easy to translate, and the last line was particularly interesting.

CODE = H A L E Y ? P K N ? T R U W D Z ? F B C G J M Q V ?
Actual = A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

"Yrhw, N'u nw rdjy mnck vdg."
Elan, I'm in love with you.

"Yrhw, N'u nw rdjy mnck vdg. Lduzrycyrv nw rdjy."
Elan, I'm in love with you. Completely in love.

"Rdjy, rdjy, rdjy, rdjy!"
Love, love, love, love!

"Uv ehe nb aynwp kyre fhwbdu av hw yjnr enlchcdf."
My dad is being held ransom by an evil dictator.

"N'u wdc fyhrrv nw cky Cknyjyb' Pgnre hwvudfy."
I'm not really in the Thieves' Guild anymore.

"N lkyhc hc bdrnchnfy."
I cheat at solitaire.

"N khjy h chccdd vdg'jy wyjyf byyw."
I have a tattoo you've never seen.

"N tnbbye h pnfr dwly."
I kissed a girl once.

"DT, DT, udfy ckhw dwly!"
OK, OK, more than once!

"Yrhw, nc cgfwb dgc N uhv wdc ay yqhlcrv mkhc vdg mdgre lhrr-"
Elan, it turns out I may not be exactly what you would call-

Now, that line just screams to be followed by the word 'human'. Was it my imagination or was it hinted elsewhere that she might be some other race? I'd note one of her personalities had elven ears, if that means anything.

And sorry if I'm late to the game and that's been mentioned before, but 40 pages is a bit much to sort through for one plot point.

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

Geshtal posted:

And sorry if I'm late to the game and that's been mentioned before, but 40 pages is a bit much to sort through for one plot point.

I really don't think all that spoiler text was necessary.

And there are lots of words that could have followed that one. But there's no way to be sure, it's so secret even V doesn't know, and apparently Haley is the only one that knows V's gender. So it's either a throw away, or it will come sneaking back later. Considering it was buried in code that not every reader wanted to even begin digging into, it could be anything. Human? Straight? A Rogue?

Interesting side-track none the less.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Geshtal posted:

Sorry to shoehorn in on the, um... "discussion" (for Pete's sake, he used a Titanium Elemental and people are getting pissy about the rules now?), but has anyone taken the trouble to translate what Haley was saying all that time she incomprehensible?

This thread was started after all that stuff was over, so it never really got that much discussion. That's an interesting one, though.

There's a full compilation of what she says over here on the OOTS forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

sakesniper posted:

I guess I'm the only one who thinks this sudden change of heart for Redcloak is kind of dumb. He's never struck me as particularly heroic or caring whether dealing with goblins or hobgoblins. For him to get all gung ho now just because a member of a race he despises naively saves him (a naivete he's been exploiting) doesn't seem very consistent.

Not true. While he has been shown to hate the hobgoblins, he has made several comments that show he holds a grudge against humans (specifically the Sapphire Guard, apparently) for killing his goblin friends and family members in the past. He is evil, true, but he has been hanging out with Xykon for, umm, the entiriety of the strip, which definitely would have an influence on him (I mean, he does serve him, though its been hinted at that they may not be headed towards the same goal) and he even acknowledges that he's become too much like Xykon in this strip, though we've seen a lot of him caring about other goblins trickle through in the past, more than enough for him to realize that while he is evil and serves a dark god, he doesn't have to be so viciously callous to his underlings, especially since the only reason for it was "they were mean to me in high school".

gothfae posted:

I really don't think all that spoiler text was necessary.

And there are lots of words that could have followed that one. But there's no way to be sure, it's so secret even V doesn't know, and apparently Haley is the only one that knows V's gender. So it's either a throw away, or it will come sneaking back later. Considering it was buried in code that not every reader wanted to even begin digging into, it could be anything. Human? Straight? A Rogue?

Interesting side-track none the less.

Maybe her alignment isn't actually chaotic good?