Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tracer Tong
Jul 7, 2003
You know, it's hard work to try to love her as best as I can, knowing full well that the decision I made caused her loved one to be in harm's way.
Update on the 1501 Dell Acpi crap - I just wacked it and am going to use Ubuntu. Edgy seemed to pre-configure everything perfectly...except the screen brightness! I have to randomly tap the up and down function keys combos to get it to randomly change from 70% to 100%. I have to keep doing it until I can stop right on time.

I wish they could make this work better. I don't mind configuring things to any end (I learned Linux on Slackware...so I've learned to bitch less and just take it like a man)- but I have no idea how to fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

mo- posted:

How do I connect to an enterprise wireless connection? Meaning, there is no key just a username and password.

EDIT: I should note that my wireless card is fully configured.

What is that "enterprise wireless connecion" that you speak of? 802.11(something) with WEP? Same with WPA? Some network authentication protocols? Some kind of VPN?

lilbean
Oct 2, 2003

teapot posted:

What is that "enterprise wireless connecion" that you speak of? 802.11(something) with WEP? Same with WPA? Some network authentication protocols? Some kind of VPN?
I'd guess he means WPA2 with a Radius authentication server behind it. No idea how to set it up under Linux unfortunately.

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
  • Unlawful Carnal Gopher Knowledge

lilbean posted:

I'd guess he means WPA2 with a Radius authentication server behind it. No idea how to set it up under Linux unfortunately.

In ubuntu choose WPA and use PEAP IIRC in network manager. For other systems edit wpa_supplicant.conf. Plenty of examples. Supply ESSID user and pass and

wpa_supplicant -Dwext -ieth1 -c /etc/wpa/wpa_suplliant.conf where eth1 is wireless card.

desy
Dec 21, 2006

Day man,
Fighter of the Night Man
I can't set up my speedtouch 121g in ubuntu :( I've tried doing the following:
http://network.wiki.xs4all.nl/index.php?title=Linux_/_Ubuntu:_ST121G_wireless_adapter
It won't show up as a device, but instead of:
nab@nab-laptop:~$ sudo ndiswrapper -l
Installed drivers:
bt4501g driver installed, hardware present
nab@nab-laptop:~$

it instead says "driver present, hardware present" so is there a way i can install the driver further? There is the command to do so with ndiswrapper which i think is -d, but it wanted a USBID? How do i find this? (in the format XXXX:XXX or something)

when performing the sudo dmesg | tail I get a similar response, but with some error messages, and a wlan0 is not created.

Any suggestions? tia

Tracer Tong
Jul 7, 2003
You know, it's hard work to try to love her as best as I can, knowing full well that the decision I made caused her loved one to be in harm's way.

desy posted:

I can't set up my speedtouch 121g in ubuntu :( I've tried doing the following:
http://network.wiki.xs4all.nl/index.php?title=Linux_/_Ubuntu:_ST121G_wireless_adapter
It won't show up as a device, but instead of:
nab@nab-laptop:~$ sudo ndiswrapper -l
Installed drivers:
bt4501g driver installed, hardware present
nab@nab-laptop:~$

it instead says "driver present, hardware present" so is there a way i can install the driver further? There is the command to do so with ndiswrapper which i think is -d, but it wanted a USBID? How do i find this? (in the format XXXX:XXX or something)

when performing the sudo dmesg | tail I get a similar response, but with some error messages, and a wlan0 is not created.

Any suggestions? tia

Did you run...

code:
ndiswrapper -m
modprobe ndiswrapper
Perhaps try restarting and re-modprobing it?

Many times I've found that completely removing ndiswrapper, restarting, and reinstalling randomly works for no apparent reason I can surmise.

Foetid
Mar 24, 2002
nup
I used to use a 'slow' double click on files in Windows to enable me to change the filename/foldername, but that doesn't seem to work in Linux (Ubuntu 7.04). Don't spose there's any way to enable that, or a little app that gives that functionality, is there?
I know I can right click - rename, it's just a bit quicker (or at least I'm more used to) doing it the slow double click way.

Oh also, on my other workspaces, there's no panel on top or bottom of the screen. Ummm, did I accidentally turn them off or something?
Right clicking on the desktop doesn't give me any option to add/remove app bar/menu bar/panel/whatever it's called.
Properties on the panel doesn't seem to have any option to span/replicate onto other workspaces as far as I can tell.
(I know about ctrl-alt-arrow and moving programs to other spaces)

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Foetid posted:

I used to use a 'slow' double click on files in Windows to enable me to change the filename/foldername, but that doesn't seem to work in Linux (Ubuntu 7.04). Don't spose there's any way to enable that, or a little app that gives that functionality, is there?
I know I can right click - rename, it's just a bit quicker (or at least I'm more used to) doing it the slow double click way.
F2

I think, it is done intentionally to avoid triggering this by accident.

quote:

Oh also, on my other workspaces, there's no panel on top or bottom of the screen. Ummm, did I accidentally turn them off or something?
Right clicking on the desktop doesn't give me any option to add/remove app bar/menu bar/panel/whatever it's called.
Properties on the panel doesn't seem to have any option to span/replicate onto other workspaces as far as I can tell.
(I know about ctrl-alt-arrow and moving programs to other spaces)
Are you sure that you have the same physical and logical resolutions (so panels are off the physical screen, but they appear when you move the mouse when the cursor is on the border, so the physical screen scrolls within the logical one)?

And if this is not the case, what window manager do you use? metacity? sawfish? compiz/beryl? enlightenment of some version? fvwm? window maker?

Foetid
Mar 24, 2002
nup

teapot posted:

F2

I think, it is done intentionally to avoid triggering this by accident.

Ah! Thankyou!

teapot posted:

Are you sure that you have the same physical and logical resolutions (so panels are off the physical screen, but they appear when you move the mouse when the cursor is on the border, so the physical screen scrolls within the logical one)?

And if this is not the case, what window manager do you use? metacity? sawfish? compiz/beryl? enlightenment of some version? fvwm? window maker?

Oh I stumbled upon the reason why this was happening - it's something to do with the new nvidia drivers. I had enabled the fancy pants wobbly windows desktop effects thingy and this was causing it.
Tried turning the effects off - and hey presto, the panels on top and bottom of each workspace appear now.
Oh well, the wobbly windows thing was getting annoying already anyway. Thanks for the help!

Edit: I'm a bit of a newbie, but if I said that I used Gnome as a window manager, would that be right? It's whatever Ubuntu installs by default for the desktop CD.

Foetid fucked around with this message at 08:06 on May 12, 2007

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Foetid posted:

Oh I stumbled upon the reason why this was happening - it's something to do with the new nvidia drivers. I had enabled the fancy pants wobbly windows desktop effects thingy and this was causing it.
Tried turning the effects off - and hey presto, the panels on top and bottom of each workspace appear now.
Oh well, the wobbly windows thing was getting annoying already anyway. Thanks for the help!
You can look at those threads:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=359367 (Compiz)
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=357501 (Beryl)

I have Beryl installed on Feisty, however my configuration has all kinds of manual tweaks, so I can't give advice, what exactly should be configured with standard packages. I remember that desktop effects configuration menu given a warning that it may not work, then tried to enable Compiz without any checks for compatible options, so didn't work well on default configuration. After drivers configuration and Beryl installation everything worked without problems.

quote:

Edit: I'm a bit of a newbie, but if I said that I used Gnome as a window manager, would that be right? It's whatever Ubuntu installs by default for the desktop CD.
Desktop environments such as GNOME and KDE consist of many components -- UI, graphics and components libraries, configuration system, messaging mechanism, session manager, window manager, panel/menu system, panel and desktop applets, configuration utilities, file manager and some applications.

Not all of those components are mandatory -- a window manager with built-in launch menu can provide a fully functional minimalistic desktop environment, and this is how twm, mwm, fvwm and Enlightenment can be used. Many components of different desktop environments may be used simultaneously (GNOME and KDE libraries, messaging systems and configuration management for corresponding applications), some components have multiple compatible implementations (various window managers such as Metacity, Sawfish, Compiz, Beryl and Window Maker can be used with GNOME). By default GNOME comes with Metacity window manager and Nautilus file manager, however, for example, on most of my computers some minor configuration changes allow me to switch window manager to Sawfish and file manager to Thunar while keeping unchanged their interfaces to the rest of the desktop environment.

So if you have GNOME installed in the default configuration, your window manager is Metacity, and if you have desktop effects enabled, it's Compiz.

desy
Dec 21, 2006

Day man,
Fighter of the Night Man

Tracer Tong posted:

Did you run...

code:
ndiswrapper -m
modprobe ndiswrapper
Perhaps try restarting and re-modprobing it?

Many times I've found that completely removing ndiswrapper, restarting, and reinstalling randomly works for no apparent reason I can surmise.

I will try this again when I boot back into ubuntu, but when i tried earlier the error changed to:

sudo dmesg | tail
USB 1-5: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
USB 1-5: USB disconnect address 5
USB 1-6: New high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 6
USB 1-6: USB disconnect address 6
USB 1-5: New high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 7
USB 1-5: USB disconnect address 7
USB 1-6: New high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 8
USB 1-6: USB disconnect address 8

:confused:

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
20,000 files in an uploads directory, i want to chmod all the ones that aren't 0644 to 0644. how do i do this?

chmod 0644 *.* yields "-bash: //bin/chmod: Argument list too long"

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

fletcher posted:

20,000 files in an uploads directory, i want to chmod all the ones that aren't 0644 to 0644. how do i do this?

code:
find -true -exec chmod 0664 {} \;
I originally posted a commang to pass the files to chmod via stdout, but I don't think that's allowed.

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 06:57 on May 13, 2007

Sulphuric Asshole
Apr 25, 2003
X.org will correctly scale the screen to a lower resolution without doing a nasty widescreen stretch on my laptop with a 1280x800 display, however opengl apps running at older, 4:3 resolutions stretch. I know the nvidia drivers for linux have a setting you can place in your x configuration file to prevent this, but my laptop has an ATI card and uses the proprietary fglrx driver from ATI. Is there any setting I can tweak to force my opengl apps to preserve aspect ratio?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Twinxor posted:

code:
find -true -exec chmod 0664 {} \;
I originally posted a commang to pass the files to chmod via stdout, but I don't think that's allowed.

awesome, thanks!

how about one to change all the files that are owned by user1 to user2?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

fletcher posted:

awesome, thanks!

how about one to change all the files that are owned by user1 to user2?

code:
find -user user1 -exec chown user2 {} \;
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Find - very useful utility. Of course, in this case it might be simpler to just apply 'chown -R' to change all the files in the directory, but this is a more literal approach.

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 09:45 on May 13, 2007

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Does window resizing work painfully awful in gnome for anyone?

I'm running FC6 with nvidia drivers installed.

Any attempt to resize/spawn windows is unacceptably slow.

Any tweaks or hints to make it better?

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
I'm using KDE and Xinerama with two monitors. I've figured out how to stretch the taskbar across both screens, but is there a way to have it stretched across and have the taskbar on each screen show only the windows open on that screen?

Tusk
Mar 9, 2007

by Fistgrrl
what's the best substitute for MSN Messenger?? aMSN is too goddamn buggy to use and ugly, gaim has very few features and Kopete also has few features. Also I would like to know about a good program to graph math functions in 2D and stuff.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
What's the best way to rename a user account? (so it changes the profiles/permissions correctly as well?

I used lusermod --login=newlogin oldlogin but I don't think that worked too well.

Smackbilly
Jan 3, 2001
What kind of a name is Pizza Organ! anyway?

lol internet. posted:

What's the best way to rename a user account? (so it changes the profiles/permissions correctly as well?

I used lusermod --login=newlogin oldlogin but I don't think that worked too well.

That should be fine. Permissions and file ownership are done by user ID, not username, and the above lusermod command doesn't change the user ID. What went wrong when you did that?

garv
Dec 18, 2005
Three blocks away Schwarz was getting his.
I just started playing around with Linux again and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for some virtual machine software to run in Ubuntu 7.04? I've been looking around and saw that Xen might be a good choice. Anyone disagree?

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

Smackbilly posted:

That should be fine. Permissions and file ownership are done by user ID, not username, and the above lusermod command doesn't change the user ID. What went wrong when you did that?

Well it didn't load my background (not a big deal.) But now it seems samba shares are broken. I edited the smb.conf "valid users" field to the new username. Reloaded/restarted samba (even restarted the computer.)

I cannot connect to it.

edit: ahh forgot to use smbpasswd -a newusername

lol internet. fucked around with this message at 01:24 on May 14, 2007

Tusk
Mar 9, 2007

by Fistgrrl
Is there a problem with switching from Ubuntu (gnome) to Kubuntu by installing the package Kubuntu-desktop ??? what will happen with the programs i've installed so far??

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Tusk posted:

Is there a problem with switching from Ubuntu (gnome) to Kubuntu by installing the package Kubuntu-desktop ??? what will happen with the programs i've installed so far??

Shouldn't have any problems. You may need to select KDE from the session manager at login the first time though.

drewmoney
Mar 11, 2004
After upgrading my ubuntu server from 6.06 to Feisty I'm getting really slow samba response from my server share drives. I have them mounted in /etc/fstab and it was working fine before the upgrade. Works slow on a windows box copying to/from and also xbox media center won't even stream most of the time, which is frustrating.

Any ideas? Other things I can provide to help diagnose the problem?

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Trying to install Call of Duty through Wine 9.37 on Kubuntu Fiesty Fawn. However, every time I run the the setup.exe from disc 1 it treats like I want to uninstall and won't have it any other way. I've attempted an install before, and have gone through and deleted any file relating to Activision or the game. Nothing I do seems to change it from uninstalling every time I I run setup.exe. Any suggestions?

edit: fixed after find the offending file.

Higgy fucked around with this message at 21:44 on May 14, 2007

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Does anyone else use Konsole on GNOME? For me, there's an annoying effect where switching desktops always causes Konsole to try to grab focus, making its taskbar icon blink. Do others see this bug?

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005
I FOR ONE WELCOME OUR NEW STUPID FUCKING CATCHPHRASE OVERLORDS

Twinxor posted:

Does anyone else use Konsole on GNOME? For me, there's an annoying effect where switching desktops always causes Konsole to try to grab focus, making its taskbar icon blink. Do others see this bug?

I see that on one of my ubuntu 7.04 boxes... not sure what the root cause is though...

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

dfn_doe posted:

I see that on one of my ubuntu 7.04 boxes... not sure what the root cause is though...

Seems like a bug in Konsole or Metacity.

e: filed https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/114740

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 08:06 on May 15, 2007

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

desy posted:

I will try this again when I boot back into ubuntu, but when i tried earlier the error changed to:

sudo dmesg | tail
USB 1-5: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
USB 1-5: USB disconnect address 5
USB 1-6: New high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 6
USB 1-6: USB disconnect address 6
USB 1-5: New high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 7
USB 1-5: USB disconnect address 7
USB 1-6: New high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 8
USB 1-6: USB disconnect address 8

:confused:

This is not really an error, it's USB2 device connecting and disconnecting. You may consider using a powered hub.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

fletcher posted:

In addition to what everyone said, "*.*" is a DOS/Windows filename mask for "everything" -- on anything Unixlike that wildcard will only match filenames with dots in them. "Everytning" will be "*" . Except, of course, files starting with dot -- to get those (but not match . and ..) you need ".??*". This still excludes "dot and a single character" filenames, but thankfully no one uses those.

With "find" those problems disappear.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Tusk posted:

what's the best substitute for MSN Messenger?? aMSN is too goddamn buggy to use and ugly, gaim has very few features and Kopete also has few features.
Latest gaim is probably the best you can get for MSN Messenger.

quote:

Also I would like to know about a good program to graph math functions in 2D and stuff.
KmPlot?

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Twinxor posted:

Seems like a bug in Konsole or Metacity.
Doesn't seem to exist in sawfish when using a viewports mode (however sawfish requires additional configuration to properly work with Nautilus desktop).

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

deathmerc posted:

After upgrading my ubuntu server from 6.06 to Feisty I'm getting really slow samba response from my server share drives. I have them mounted in /etc/fstab and it was working fine before the upgrade.

How did Samba shares end up in /etc/fstab file on the SERVER (as opposed to the client)? Or do you mean drives mounted in /etc/fstab are exported as Samba shares (and then it does not matter because they are seen as normal directories)?

If server became slow, Samba probably was reset to some default options that Windows seems to hate -- make sure that it is configured to use
code:
socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_KEEPALIVE SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
Otherwise it may be a result of changes in the set of network drivers -- see https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/samba/+bug/112794 . Apparently many kernel changes in Feisty made people scratching their heads in seemingly straightforward situations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Fedora Core

How do I reconfigure networking? Our ISP is changing our static IP, so I have to enter new addresses and a new gateway?

This is a server install so I don't have the GUI tool I'm used to.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Bob Morales posted:

Fedora Core

How do I reconfigure networking?

netconfig?

Failing that, system-config-network-tui.

teh_c0w
Sep 9, 2004
Question:

I'm booting linux live off of a CD. Everything is fine and I can start Gnome fine and everything. I plug in a USB key and try to write onto it and it gives me an access denied, read only thing. Why?

Is it because my key is NTSF?

JoeNotCharles
Mar 3, 2005

Yet beyond each tree there are only more trees.

teh_c0w posted:

Is it because my key is NTSF?

Sounds likely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mine GO BOOM
Apr 18, 2002
If it isn't broken, fix it till it is.
LVM - 3 disks

Looking at examples and man pages for LVM, I can use it to make a volume that uses specifically one disk, random of all three, striped like raid0 across any two or three disks, and mirrored like raid1. Can LVM do parity like raid5? Or do I need to setup all three disks in software raid5, then setup the volume group on top of that to get parity?

My ideal is to have certain mount points be striped, a couple only on specific disks, and others to be on across all three with parity. From what I've seen, it looks like LVM can act like raid0 or raid1, not raid5. Tell me I'm missing something here.