Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boggus
Mar 26, 2007

A yellow jumpsuit makes all the difference.

Hedgehog King posted:

Im not sure if anyone cares at this point, but the new Erf World is up.

Ugh? Blergh!

I tried countless of times to understand that comic but it is neither funny nor interesting in the least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thequiethero
Aug 13, 2002

Dork-rock rules
Speaking of Haley moments, I was reading through the second book and found something odd. When Miko defeats The Order and chains them up, why does Haley have her eyes covered? Is there something in her eyes that Miko doesn't like looking it (or is it just payback for being called a witch?)

edit: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0251.html

thequiethero fucked around with this message at 12:32 on May 13, 2007

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
It may be a precaution to prevent her from attempting to pick the locks. It's one of the first things she does after they get to Azure City, and she's unblindfolded.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0260.html

Spaceship Zero
Jul 24, 2006

The soul of vengeance is a robot dinosaur

Fuego Fish posted:

"I may not be exactly what you would call-" doesn't have to end with "human", and I'd say it's fairly unlikely it does. There's a whole host of things it could be.

"I may not be exactly what you would call- single."

Oooooooh.

Efreet saiid
Jan 29, 2006

by Lowtax
Golly, i'm glad that stupid rules discussion is over so we can all talk about wether or not Haley is an evil gay assimar!

Boggus posted:

I tried countless of times to understand that comic but it is neither funny nor interesting in the least.
Yeah this really isn't going anywhere. I guess they could be warming up to some awesome fight scenes but what then? They win? I'd rather they all die.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Efreet saiid posted:

Golly, i'm glad that stupid rules discussion is over so we can all talk about wether or not Haley is an evil gay assimar!

Golly, I'm glad you're around to make insightful comments like this one!

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

There seems no plan because it is all plan. There seems no center because it is all center.

Boggus posted:

Ugh? Blergh!

But... according to Wikipedia it's "critically acclaimed"...

yeah.. I got nothing there either.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Wikipedia posted:

A parallel work called Parson's Klog (like "blog," but since it is written in a book it uses a "k" instead of a "b") reveals the main protagonist's diary entries.

Hahaha,now I get it!

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Archyduke posted:

Hahaha,now I get it!

that is kinda funny v:shobon:v

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

gothfae posted:

But... according to Wikipedia it's "critically acclaimed"...

Gimmie a moment.

Okay. Now according to Wikipedia I have the largest penis in recorded human history.

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

There seems no plan because it is all plan. There seems no center because it is all center.

MikeJF posted:

Gimmie a moment.

Okay. Now according to Wikipedia I have the largest penis in recorded human history.

Oh wow... Can I have you autograph? Signed with your penis?

Kahrytes
Jun 4, 2004

Now I need a drink. Not this one. Another one. And in a different place.

MikeJF posted:

Gimmie a moment.

Yeah? Well, according to Wikipedia, my testicles weigh more than a sperm whale.
Each one of them does.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Kahrytes posted:

Yeah? Well, according to Wikipedia, my testicles weigh more than a sperm whale.
Each one of them does.

That's got to be hell on your back.

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

Gyges posted:

That's got to be hell on your back.
:nws: not really anyway, educational, scary.. eeee.
http://emuse.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/586

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Is Sabine a succubus, and is a succubus a demon or a devil? Cause then if Haley was a tiefling or the devilish equivalent of that there'd be some added drama due to the whole Blood War thing, which I like better than the Aasimar idea.

I like Erfworld, but I'm something of a whore for the "board/card game = important" genre, so a whole fantasty world constrained by those rules is right up my alley....even though it looks like it was made up just so a fat nerd hero wouldn't be utterly laughable.

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

RentACop posted:

Is Sabine a succubus, and is a succubus a demon or a devil? Cause then if Haley was a tiefling or the devilish equivalent of that there'd be some added drama due to the whole Blood War thing, which I like better than the Aasimar idea.

I like Erfworld, but I'm something of a whore for the "board/card game = important" genre, so a whole fantasty world constrained by those rules is right up my alley....even though it looks like it was made up just so a fat nerd hero wouldn't be utterly laughable.

I'm assuming a succubus, a Demon, Erinyes seem to have more of the 'leather straps across the eyes' look. I'd prefer she was just angel-blooded, I find the Blood-war to be kind of stupid, a clinging piece of archaic lameness from when they were too afraid to actually call Demons Demons, and Devils Devils and had to create this whole Tanar'ri, Baatezu mythology out of whole cloth.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

gothfae posted:

I'm assuming a succubus, a Demon, Erinyes seem to have more of the 'leather straps across the eyes' look. I'd prefer she was just angel-blooded, I find the Blood-war to be kind of stupid, a clinging piece of archaic lameness from when they were too afraid to actually call Demons Demons, and Devils Devils and had to create this whole Tanar'ri, Baatezu mythology out of whole cloth.

Wait, the Blood War was created because they didn't want to call Devils or Demons just that? My experience with the Blood War in D&D is just some 3rd edition stuff, so I have no idea of the origins. Still, it seemed to make sense and be pretty cool, with chaotic types and lawful types fighting against each other over who's better.

Why exactly was it started, and what makes it archaic?

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Wait, the Blood War was created because they didn't want to call Devils or Demons just that? My experience with the Blood War in D&D is just some 3rd edition stuff, so I have no idea of the origins. Still, it seemed to make sense and be pretty cool, with chaotic types and lawful types fighting against each other over who's better.

The Blood War is one of the things that got created as a hook for Planescape. Since it can be reasonably be assumed to be happening anywhere there are demons and/or devils, it creates a lot of motivation for adventurers to work around the conflict. It also provides a pretty good motivation for demons and devils constantly wanting to invade the Prime Material plane in other settings as well.

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

Big Mad Drongo posted:

During 1st ed the Religious Right bitched so much that TSR thought it would be best if they removed religious references from their monsters. Thus in 2nd ed Archons replaced Angels, Tanar'ri, Baatezu (sp) were created, planes were renamed, etc. As the 'satanic' brand slipped away from D&D, those concepts were trickled back in and firmly re-established for 3rd ed. The Blood War,a child of Planescape, while probably not directly related to the re-imagining of the D&D underworld still feels wrong. The Abyss is chaotic Evil, the Hells are Lawful Evil. Other than fighting each other it's not as though there is anything to be gained and prior to the Blood War there was quite enough infighting between Demon Prices and Arch Devils on their own planes without throwing them into one giant battlefield together.

Efreet saiid
Jan 29, 2006

by Lowtax
Oh man, you're dissing the blood war? No wonder you have me on ignore, you're the enemy of everything that is awesome and cool. The blood war is one of the best concepts that writers ever came up with in D&D. There's a lot about the planes that I don't like, but the idea that these groups would be so hostile to one another makes perfect sense to me, and makes for a better backdrop to more subtle and atypical conflicts and intrigues that various fiends might be involved in. It also makes for more interesting uses of the rivla camps on the prime.

PS: "Tanar'ri" and "Baatezu" are way cooler than "Demons" and "Devils".

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
Tyrants of the Nine Hells explains the Blood War and the origin of Devils. Devils used to be angels, of course. Before the deities created the multiverse, there was a void where Chaos existed. As the Lawful gods brought order to the void, they battled the demons. A number of their fiercest warriors began to adopt the demons' tactics and forms to better fight them. These warriors, led by Asmodeus, slowly slipped from Lawful good to Lawful Evil.

All this time, demons were corrupting mortals and spreading their chaotic taint among the worlds the gods created. Asmodeus and his warriors came up with the concept of punishment. They would punish the wicked souls to encourage others to stay on the strait and narrow. They built layers upon layers that they filled with wicked souls to burn and flay and torment the sins from them. The gods wanted to cast out their wayward angels, but according to their own laws, they could not. Asmodeus and his followers had just as much right as the most righteous of angels to be there. But he proposed an alternative.

Asmodeus and any who would come with him (all of them, by this point) would go from the heavens, which had become terrible places with their vile tormenting, and create a new destination for wicked souls. The gods were quick to agree. Asmodeus mentioned that they would need some way to sustain themselves, since they would be far from their lords' glory and unable to last long. He asked that they be allowed to draw power from the wicked souls they had domain over. Not much, just enough. The gods agreed and they all drew up and signed the Pact Primeval, a binding contract.

The newly created devils flew off to a barren plane they began to transform into the Nine Hells we know and love today. There, they punished the wicked souls they gathered and fought off the demonic creatures of the Abyss. Soon, the gods began to notice a slow in the ammount of souls that reached the heavens. They raged as Asmodeus, saying he could only punish wicked souls, not tempt them to wickedness. Asmodeus replied, "Read the fine print." The carefully worded contract revealed, with much beating of breasts and gnashing of teeth, that there was a loophole that the devils, and only the devils, could exploit. The gods could not lawfully intervene.

And that, children, is where devils come from.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
:siren:New strip up.:siren:

And for when it goes down...

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

Brannock posted:

:siren:New strip up.:siren:

And for when it goes down...

And lo, were many morale checks failed that fateful day...

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

oh poo poo, RUMBLES

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...

Vicissitude posted:

:words:

Out of curiosity, what was the loophole?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Efreet saiid posted:

PS: "Tanar'ri" and "Baatezu" are way cooler than "Demons" and "Devils".

You're insane. The renaming of demons and devils to tanar'ri and baatezu represents the very nadir of D&D gaming. It's the time at which TSR simply buckled under to the anti-RPG-hysteria of some of the most intolerant segments of American society. You can argue that the Blood War was a cool concept (I think it's incredibly lame, and that it improved on nothing that Ed Greenwood did in his 9 Hells articles back in the early 70-numbered issues of Dragon) and reasonable people can agree on that, but there was nothing cool whatsoever about that renaming.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

ConfusedUs posted:

oh poo poo, RUMBLES

:black101: That's a lot of Hobgobbos :black101:

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Minor detail, but hey; I just realized that blue and orange are opposing colors on the wheel.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
If just charging with everyone was such an effective tactic, why the hell didn't he do it in the first place?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

greatn posted:

If just charging with everyone was such an effective tactic, why the hell didn't he do it in the first place?

Because Xykon tasked Redcloak to provide a distraction so he could get to the sapphire room. Redcloak was thinking in terms of keeping as many humans occupied as possible, rather than winning the battle by himself.

edit: vv Sup, wilde.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 16:36 on May 15, 2007

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
I hope the next strip is Durkon. He's the only one that hasn't got to look badassed this fight.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
The original plan was to let Xykon get into the throne room, with Azure City's destruction as a high but still secondary priority. Redcloak and Xykon also didn't care how many hobgoblins they had to sacrifice in order to achieve either goal.

Thus, Redcloak's opening strategies aren't aimed at breaking the defenses so much as they're aimed at occupying as many of the enemy soldiers as possible while killing as many hobgoblins as possible. Now, with his change of heart, it's a happy accident that he's reduced Azure City's defenses enough that he has an obvious weakness to exploit.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Phanatic posted:

You're insane. The renaming of demons and devils to tanar'ri and baatezu represents the very nadir of D&D gaming.

I disagree :colbert: ....buuut I guess I can see your point.

Well it looks like the city is hosed. I guess it's possible that the reinforcements could help out but I'd think it likely that they're bugging out as well.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Now I don't know who I want to win. Roy really should've taken Xykon's advice:(. Its possible, however, that the ghost-martyrs will be immensely powerful, carving through everything in their path a la the ghost army in Return of the King, though then I'm sure we would be arguing that fifty ghosts taking on an entire Hobgoblin army is godmoding and bending the rules, and then it's rubber ball all over again!

Wait, speaking of Roy, does this mean his corpse just got stampeded by the entire Hobgoblin army?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Wolfsheim posted:

Wait, speaking of Roy, does this mean his corpse just got stampeded by the entire Hobgoblin army?

And maybe a big pink wooly mammoth.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Maybe all those nobles on their boats could come in for a last-minute save.

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

Wolfsheim posted:

Now I don't know who I want to win. Roy really should've taken Xykon's advice:(. Its possible, however, that the ghost-martyrs will be immensely powerful, carving through everything in their path a la the ghost army in Return of the King, though then I'm sure we would be arguing that fifty ghosts taking on an entire Hobgoblin army is godmoding and bending the rules, and then it's rubber ball all over again!

I don't think he fell near the breach. But you never know.

shelper
Nov 10, 2005

Something's still wrong with this code
Well, not near the breach, but still between the army and the breach. :(

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

All might not be completely lost. There's still a second, inner wall. Too bad all the spellcasters up on the tower died, all those hobgoblins clustered in between the two walls would seem like a good target for big AoE spells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Vicissitude posted:

Tyrants of the Nine Hells explains the Blood War and the origin of Devils. Devils used to be angels, of course. Before the deities created the multiverse, there was a void where Chaos existed. As the Lawful gods brought order to the void, they battled the demons. A number of their fiercest warriors began to adopt the demons' tactics and forms to better fight them. These warriors, led by Asmodeus, slowly slipped from Lawful good to Lawful Evil.

All this time, demons were corrupting mortals and spreading their chaotic taint among the worlds the gods created. Asmodeus and his warriors came up with the concept of punishment. They would punish the wicked souls to encourage others to stay on the strait and narrow. They built layers upon layers that they filled with wicked souls to burn and flay and torment the sins from them. The gods wanted to cast out their wayward angels, but according to their own laws, they could not. Asmodeus and his followers had just as much right as the most righteous of angels to be there. But he proposed an alternative.

Asmodeus and any who would come with him (all of them, by this point) would go from the heavens, which had become terrible places with their vile tormenting, and create a new destination for wicked souls. The gods were quick to agree. Asmodeus mentioned that they would need some way to sustain themselves, since they would be far from their lords' glory and unable to last long. He asked that they be allowed to draw power from the wicked souls they had domain over. Not much, just enough. The gods agreed and they all drew up and signed the Pact Primeval, a binding contract.

The newly created devils flew off to a barren plane they began to transform into the Nine Hells we know and love today. There, they punished the wicked souls they gathered and fought off the demonic creatures of the Abyss. Soon, the gods began to notice a slow in the ammount of souls that reached the heavens. They raged as Asmodeus, saying he could only punish wicked souls, not tempt them to wickedness. Asmodeus replied, "Read the fine print." The carefully worded contract revealed, with much beating of breasts and gnashing of teeth, that there was a loophole that the devils, and only the devils, could exploit. The gods could not lawfully intervene.

And that, children, is where devils come from.

There's an other whole side to the battle that makes it a small bit cooler, and thats the Yugoloths, who are the neutral evil fiends. IIRC, it was they who first explained to Asmodeus how he could fight the demons better by being lawful evil instead of lawful good.

By doing this, the Yugoloths have created a second whole army of evilness and deprived goodness of a large number of their greater warriors. Also, the escalating battles between the devils and the demons force both armies to develope stronger weapons and more dangerous magic. In the end, the Yugoloths plan to unify both armies and lead them against the forces of good.