Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tracer Tong
Jul 7, 2003
You know, it's hard work to try to love her as best as I can, knowing full well that the decision I made caused her loved one to be in harm's way.

desy posted:

I will try this again when I boot back into ubuntu, but when i tried earlier the error changed to:

sudo dmesg | tail
USB 1-5: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
USB 1-5: USB disconnect address 5
USB 1-6: New high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 6
USB 1-6: USB disconnect address 6
USB 1-5: New high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 7
USB 1-5: USB disconnect address 7
USB 1-6: New high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 8
USB 1-6: USB disconnect address 8

:confused:

I'll be waiting until you return with your results then! Like someone before said, it seems you are either furiously adding new USB devices or it's reconnectiong...or something.

Try running lspci as well and post that as well (if my previous tip did not result in molten sex flowing forth from your computer).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rincebrain
Dec 10, 2004

YOU KISS THAT GIRL THIS INSTANT

garv posted:

I just started playing around with Linux again and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for some virtual machine software to run in Ubuntu 7.04? I've been looking around and saw that Xen might be a good choice. Anyone disagree?

Speaking as someone who runs a Xen server with several fairly active guests, Xen is a fine choice for VM, if you're looking for something that runs fine for days without any intervention. Caveat: You're not going to get non-*ix things in Xen if you don't have a processor with VT extensions, according to what I understand about how Xen does virtualization. I've only tried Xen with Linux guests, though, so YMMV.

Depending on whether you're looking more for something that you just start up every so often briefly (e.g. Internet Explorer testing in XP), you might want to look at Qemu or VMware instead.

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies
Is there a way to get the Gnome menu to behave like the windows start menu, where I can right click on a menu item and view the properties right there, rather than having to go through the menu editor? It's not a huge deal, but now and then I need to check the actual executable name for a program, and coming from a Windows background I'm used to just right clicking on the shortcut and viewing the properties.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Search seems to be broken for me, so I apologize in advance if this question has already been asked.

Is there a utility similiar to Belarc that pumps out an html file with all of a system's info? I've got to Visio a ton of XandrOS machines this week and am not looking forward to having to pull all this stuff by hand.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe
hello everyone

I'm writing a bash script but I've hit a stoping block, how would I check a directory, then drop all of the file names in this directory into a txt file?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Twlight posted:

hello everyone

I'm writing a bash script but I've hit a stoping block, how would I check a directory, then drop all of the file names in this directory into a txt file?

ls >> blarg, where blarg is the name of the file you're redirecting to.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

coconono posted:

ls >> blarg, where blarg is the name of the file

so quick thanks :)

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
oh jeeze one more bash question sorry, when I copy the names into this directory, is there a way to make sure that the access dates dont chage?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Twlight posted:

oh jeeze one more bash question sorry, when I copy the names into this directory, is there a way to make sure that the access dates dont chage?

Those dates shouldn't change because you're not actually accessing the files.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Now im having trouble using tar :(

I have a file, lets say its foo.txt, and inside this file are the filenames that I would like to tar. however I can't get tar to use these file names! I know there is a way to do this with the
-T flag, but I'm having some trouble using it.

Thanks again !

hedge77
Feb 10, 2004

Fear the 'Fro
are you running tar with the verbose option? If it is telling you what the error is could you post it perhaps?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

there's always 'man tar'. this'll bring up a page with all the options for tar explained to you.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

hedge77 posted:

are you running tar with the verbose option? If it is telling you what the error is could you post it perhaps?

here is the output i know something is off but im not sure foo.txt is in the same directory.

code:
tar -cfT foo.tar.gz foo.txt
tar: foo.tar.gz: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors

hedge77
Feb 10, 2004

Fear the 'Fro
try tar -T foo.txt -zcvf foo.tar.gz

(hint: v makes tar be verbose and might give you more info, not in this case but it's a good habit to have)

GoonyMcGoonface
Sep 11, 2001

Friends don't left friends do ECB
Dinosaur Gum
Why don't you tell us what you're trying to do, instead of the problem you're having?

We might have a shortcut. :)

Post your code too, if you want.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

CaladSigilon posted:

Why don't you tell us what you're trying to do, instead of the problem you're having?

We might have a shortcut. :)

Post your code too, if you want.

alright

what I'm trying to do is look at a bunch of mysql db's (not too big but large enough)

i want to tar them, then send them over ftp to our backup server. I'm using bash to script this.

here is my code so far:

code:
    $LOCATION = /var/lib/mysql; 
    $ARCHIVE_LOCATION = /archives;
    $DATE = date '+ SQL Archive Time: %l:%M %p %D';

echo "Welcome to Archiver v 0.1";

#Lets change directories to where we would like to be!

cd $LOCATION;

#lets make sure that none of the files are empty, no use copying them over
    if [-s mysql-bin.*]
    then
    #Now lets drop the each of the file names into a file
    ls >> $DATE.txt;
    echo "making archive text file";
    fi
since there are other files that i don't care to archive in this folder i use the if statement to find only those files then dump them into a file with the date in it.

using this file, then i execute the tar command (its not written yet) and then ftp to archive server. I know that there might be easer ways to do this but I want to learn some bash scripting and I thought this might be a good way to do it.

I hope that made sense!

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I'm not sure if this is just a problem with my system, or the OS itself, but I'll try and give as much info as possible.

I installed Ubuntu last night, and wanted to upgrade to Fiesty Fawn through the Upgrade Manager. I downloaded it, and shut my monitor off and went to sleep while it was downloading.

Woke up this morning, and my screen was black. I tried restarting Ubuntu, but it just hung at the first screen that displays the Ubuntu logo and the progress bar.

I tried going into recovery mode, but it didn't find the OS in my hd1, which is where's supposed to be installed. I've had nothing but problems installing this over the last week, and I think it may be this crappy hard drive.

Marmot Whisperer
Sep 15, 2005

i lurk on jupiter's evil
A few years ago I used Rhythmbox to rip a cd. I've since lost that cd (rare ep of a local seattle band; it was out of print when I bought it 7 years ago). Nothing except for Rhythmbox will play those mp3. All I get is a short, high pitched screech.

I got around the problem by just burning a new cd from those mp3s in Rhythmbox, but I'm wondering what's up with Rhythmbox's ripping capabilities? It just uses sound juicer, so I don't see why there should have been any problem in the first place.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Marmot Whisperer posted:

A few years ago I used Rhythmbox to rip a cd. I've since lost that cd (rare ep of a local seattle band; it was out of print when I bought it 7 years ago). Nothing except for Rhythmbox will play those mp3. All I get is a short, high pitched screech.

I got around the problem by just burning a new cd from those mp3s in Rhythmbox, but I'm wondering what's up with Rhythmbox's ripping capabilities? It just uses sound juicer, so I don't see why there should have been any problem in the first place.

Sounds like a problem with encoding, not ripping. What mp3 encoder is Rhythmbox set to use?

Marmot Whisperer
Sep 15, 2005

i lurk on jupiter's evil

Twinxor posted:

Sounds like a problem with encoding, not ripping. What mp3 encoder is Rhythmbox set to use?

Unfortunately, I don't know, but I assume it was LAME. I did this on an older laptop that I no longer have. Every CD I ripped with it through Rhythmbox will only play in Rhythmbox. I guess it's kind of a moot point, now.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

In Emacs, is there any way to map Escape to a function? I tried (define-key global-map [ESC] 'keyboard-escape-quit), but it doesn't work. I think this is because [ESC x] is a synonym for [M-x], but I don't need it to work like that.

Marmot Whisperer posted:

Unfortunately, I don't know, but I assume it was LAME. I did this on an older laptop that I no longer have. Every CD I ripped with it through Rhythmbox will only play in Rhythmbox. I guess it's kind of a moot point, now.

Yeah, but if the mp3s are playable I bet they can be fixed. Upload one and post it here or in a new thread.

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
  • Unlawful Carnal Gopher Knowledge

Twlight posted:

alright

what I'm trying to do is look at a bunch of mysql db's (not too big but large enough)

i want to tar them, then send them over ftp to our backup server. I'm using bash to script this.

no no no no no ! You don't back up the db files directly. As you copy them they can be in an internally inconsistent state. You need to use mysqldump to dump the databases you want to a text file. You can then easily gzip this for storage and restore your databases later on in a clean and safe manner.

Crush
Jan 18, 2004
jot bought me this account, I now have to suck him off.
Why are fonts so sexy in Firefox for Ubuntu, but are so ugly (and jagged) in Firefox for Gentoo or FreeBSD?

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Zakalwe posted:

no no no no no ! You don't back up the db files directly. As you copy them they can be in an internally inconsistent state. You need to use mysqldump to dump the databases you want to a text file. You can then easily gzip this for storage and restore your databases later on in a clean and safe manner.

Ah yes, after reading a bit more I've found that you're 100% correct. And I fiddled with my script accordingly.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Crush posted:

Why are fonts so sexy in Firefox for Ubuntu, but are so ugly (and jagged) in Firefox for Gentoo or FreeBSD?

Probably because ugly fonts are not Bitstream Vera, Dejavu or "Microsoft Core Fonts" (Times New Roman, Arial, Courier New), or Firefox is built with the wrong version of GTK without pango/xft/cairo.

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
It could also be the patent issue in libfreetype. Some distros diable that by default

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Zakalwe posted:

It could also be the patent issue in libfreetype. Some distros diable that by default
Gentoo and FreeBSD certainly don't do that.

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste

teapot posted:

Gentoo and FreeBSD certainly don't do that.

Sure?

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Xorg_and_Fonts

quote:

Hinting Information

Hinting is part of the rendering process of a font; in general, hinting guides the rasterizer so that it produces a better looking onscreen font (especially with smaller font sizes). Due to possible patent issues, FreeType has the option of being compiled with TrueType's Byte Code Interpreter (or BCI).

Without BCI (the default),
FreeType uses its own auto hinter to improve the quality of the onscreen fonts at small sizes. The auto hinter is still a work in progress, and improves with each release of FreeType. The auto hinter generally produces excellent results. However, many feel that TrueType's native BCI produces results superior to the auto hinter (especially on combined dual-head layouts), as it uses the hinting information contained in the font.

If you live in a country where software patents are not an issue (or you interpret the possible patent issues as unlikely, since Apple knows about FreeType and hasn't filed a lawsuit), you can enable the BCI by disabling the bindist USE flag. More on freetype and patents at http://freetype.sourceforge.net/patents.html.

empahsis mine.

Of course this could be out of date.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Zakalwe posted:

Sure?

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Xorg_and_Fonts

empahsis mine.

Of course this could be out of date.

I mean, they didn't disable freetype -- antialiasing still works. Bad hinting makes fonts look thick and blurry, not jagged.

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

Crush posted:

Look for differences between
code:
fc-match -v sans
on the two systems, then start looking at your mozilla config.

Bonch
Jul 27, 2004

Hola.

I'm running Ubuntu Feisty and last night I removed Gaim with Synaptic, with the intention of installing Pidgin, it mentioned something about also removing a couple dependencies during the process, no big deal...

Oh wait, one of the things it removed was something along the lines of "Gnome-Desktop." Now if I log into a normal session I just get solid colored background and a cursor, no ui.

I still can get into a terminal session. Is there someway I can fix this by apt-getting something? I tried "apt-get install gnome" and it reinstalled a bunch of poo poo, but still no ui with a normal log in.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Bonch posted:

Hola.

I'm running Ubuntu Feisty and last night I removed Gaim with Synaptic, with the intention of installing Pidgin, it mentioned something about also removing a couple dependencies during the process, no big deal...

Oh wait, one of the things it removed was something along the lines of "Gnome-Desktop." Now if I log into a normal session I just get solid colored background and a cursor, no ui.

I still can get into a terminal session. Is there someway I can fix this by apt-getting something? I tried "apt-get install gnome" and it reinstalled a bunch of poo poo, but still no ui with a normal log in.

Change your session back to GNOME before logging in.

Bonch
Jul 27, 2004

teapot posted:

Change your session back to GNOME before logging in.
Sorry for not clarifying, but I did indeed set it back after apt-getting Gnome.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Bonch posted:

Sorry for not clarifying, but I did indeed set it back after apt-getting Gnome.
Where?

You should change session on the login screen, then log in, and it should ask you if you want to change the default session for your account.

Bonch
Jul 27, 2004

teapot posted:

Where?

You should change session on the login screen, then log in, and it should ask you if you want to change the default session for your account.
Yes, I did this at the log on screen.

To reiterate:
I changed it to log into a failsafe terminal.

Then, "sudo apt-get install gnome." Logged out afterwards.

Changed the log in session back to a Gnome session and logged in. Nothing changed. I still just get a tan background and a cursor.

Edit: Ah ha! I guess why you were clarifying was that you were saying that should have fixed it? The one thing I hadn't tried was actually restarting the computer rather than just logging out and back in. After a restart, I can indeed get back into a normal Gnome session.

Thank you.

Bonch fucked around with this message at 03:58 on May 20, 2007

RiSK
Dec 9, 2006

The Red Rocket Rifle
Is there an easy way to see what devices are hooked upped to USB?

Long story short; I just bought a UPS with auto shutdown software. The Linux version of the software is asking me where the UPS's connection is.. well, connected. It's hooked up to USB, so I need to find out what /dev/tty* it is connected to. (If that's even correct in the first place.)

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

RiSK posted:

Is there an easy way to see what devices are hooked upped to USB?

Long story short; I just bought a UPS with auto shutdown software. The Linux version of the software is asking me where the UPS's connection is.. well, connected. It's hooked up to USB, so I need to find out what /dev/tty* it is connected to. (If that's even correct in the first place.)

lsusb provides USB related information, dmesg will probably tell you what tty it's attaching to.

rookieone
May 25, 2004

A small town never forgets
I'm wondering if there is a way to change the resolution of the kdm splashscreen where you enter your user credentials when logging in. For the moment it seems to be stuck at 800x600 but I would like to set it to 1280x1024 (native res of my LCD) ?
It's just a minor cosmetic detail but I'm wondering if there is a config file to edit or something.

kdmrc scares me BTW :words:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I've seen various screenshots of Linux installs, that run Calibri of Vista/Office, and that without a hitch. However when I try doing this, I have a very specific issue with the letter capital T, which is drawn almost into the next letter, while I don't see this on screenshots.

Does anyone have Calibri installed and can tell me how they got it working properly?

Also, I've compiled and installed the newest FreeType2, in the hope to make that error go away. I enabled all options for subpixel rendering and hinting in ftoptions.h, but that didn't do the trick.

Also, when the hinting stuff is enabled, setting Hinting to Full renders Truetype fonts kind of funny. Is that normal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO
I have a samba share on //mainserv/public. I can mount the share using smbmount, and on my Ubuntu it appears as smb://mainserv/public. I'd like to mount this through fstab on /media/server, rather than have it mounted through the samba client. I've put //mainserv/public /media/server smbfs rw,guest 0 0 in my fstab, but it refuses to mount through fstab, giving the error of "invalid share name."

How do I rectify this so that it will mount through fstab?