Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
I don't know if it was mentioned earlier, but it's rumored that Criterion will release a collection of Martin Scorsese shorts in the near future (What's a Nice Girl Like You Doing in a Place Like This?, It's Not Just You, Murray!, The Big Shave, Street Scenes, Italianamerican, American Boy, and Made in Milan). The films weren't specifically mentioned, but it would probably contain all of those (from what I found on the IMDB).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Triphos posted:

I'm more or less getting it because I just saw F for Fake and loved it, and blind buying the other two.

General Idi Amin Dada is a fine movie, but chances are you will watch it once and never touch it again. Honeymoon Killers is fun if you like campy, John Waters-ish stuff.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Triphos posted:

Pretty decent deal going on at DVD Planet right now: F for Fake, The Honeymoon Killers, General Idi Amin Dada, and a hat for 64.95.

Those are the regular prices for those movies at dvdplanet. So essentially the deal is buy these 3 and get a hat. I guess it's worth it if you want the hat.

Grapefruit Pulp
Jan 20, 2006

PULP CAN MOVE BABY
i know all criterion releases are top notch but does anyone have the dazed and confused release? how is it?

LordEvilElmo
Feb 8, 2004

The box... Says no
The Dazed and Confused transfer is very nice - rich and vibrant. A top tier Criterion if I do say so myself!

mattdev
Sep 30, 2004

Gentlemen of taste, refinement, luxury.

Women want us, men want to be us.
Yes, Dazed and Confused is a fabulous transfer. The special features are very good as well.

Icon-Cat
Aug 18, 2005

Meow!
Cross-posted from SA-Mart: Coupons... Just got an announcement from MySpace. Thought cheap cinephiles might like to know that Amazon is doing a deal for thirty Criterion classics 35% off.

Get Three-disc Seven Samurai for $32.49 ... or maybe Fear and Loathing for just $26 ... or Fanny and Alexander for under $20

Plus "Kicking and Screaming", "Kind Hearts and Coronets", "My Own Private Idaho", "Young Mr. Lincoln", "Mr. Ardakin", "Hoop Dreams", "The Tin Drum", "The 400 Blows"...

... and of course, suspiciously featured back to back, "3 Women" "Naked". :q:

the whole sale

I know 35% off isn't much by Amazon standards but we all know the C in the Criterion logo doesn't stand for Cheap.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

It seems Breathless is coming later this year from the hint in Criterion's newsletter.

Grapefruit Pulp
Jan 20, 2006

PULP CAN MOVE BABY

Icon-Cat posted:

Cross-posted from SA-Mart: Coupons... Just got an announcement from MySpace. Thought cheap cinephiles might like to know that Amazon is doing a deal for thirty Criterion classics 35% off.

Get Three-disc Seven Samurai for $32.49 ... or maybe Fear and Loathing for just $26 ... or Fanny and Alexander for under $20

Plus "Kicking and Screaming", "Kind Hearts and Coronets", "My Own Private Idaho", "Young Mr. Lincoln", "Mr. Ardakin", "Hoop Dreams", "The Tin Drum", "The 400 Blows"...

... and of course, suspiciously featured back to back, "3 Women" "Naked". :q:

the whole sale

I know 35% off isn't much by Amazon standards but we all know the C in the Criterion logo doesn't stand for Cheap.

amazon sales are never worth it because you end up paying the same amount of money with the shipping, or it's like a few dollars less, plus you have to wait :(

Icon-Cat
Aug 18, 2005

Meow!
Being a cheapass in the extreme, I never mind waiting for the free Super Saver Shipping, and since a lot of those discs clock over $25 all by themselves... (shrug)

I always welcome the opportunity when I need to buy a $17 book or something, and have a legitimate excuse to throw on a cheapie $10 DVD to be economical. Can't get Criterion for that kind of money, but you can get a silly comedy :3:

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Icon-Cat posted:

Being a cheapass in the extreme, I never mind waiting for the free Super Saver Shipping, and since a lot of those discs clock over $25 all by themselves... (shrug)

I always welcome the opportunity when I need to buy a $17 book or something, and have a legitimate excuse to throw on a cheapie $10 DVD to be economical. Can't get Criterion for that kind of money, but you can get a silly comedy :3:

If you were really a cheapass you'd know DVDplanet has ALL criterions at 35% of, all the time. There's nothing special about this amazon deal, other than that it's at amazon.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

#399 - House of Games

DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES:

• New, restored high-definition digital transfer, supervised by director of photography Juan Ruiz Anchia
• Audio commentary by director David Mamet and consultant and actor Ricky Jay
• New video interviews with actors Lindsay Crouse and Joe Mantegna
• David Mamet on "House of Games," a short documentary shot on location during the film's preparation and production
• Storyboard detail from the deleted scene "The Tap"
• Theatrical trailer
• PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Kent Jones and excerpts from Mamet’s introduction to the published screenplay

Wow, this truly came out of nowhere. I used to LOVE this movie, kinda soured on it a little bit in recent years. Will still rent it to check out the extras though. Ricky Jay!

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 22:43 on May 15, 2007

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

#401 - Crνa Cuervos

Special Features

• New, restored high-definition digital transfer
• Portrait of Carlos Saura, a documentary on the life and career of the Spanish auteur
• New interviews with actresses Geraldine Chaplin and Ana Torrent
• Original theatrical trailer
• New and improved English subtitle translation
• PLUS: A booklet featuring a new essay by film scholar Paul Julian Smith

Looks like it might be my kind of movie.

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 22:43 on May 15, 2007

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

#402 - The Milky Way

• New, restored high-definition digital transfer
• Video introduction by screenwriter Jean-Claude Carriθre
• New video interview with film scholar Ian Christie
• Theatrical trailer
• New and improved English subtitles
• More!
• PLUS: A booklet featuring new essays by Carlos Fuentes and Mark Polizzotti, and a reprinted interview with Luis Buρuel

Meh. I think this is my least favorite Bunuel. I might not even bother with a rental. Sigh... why couldn't it be Exterminating Angel?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

It's worth noting that there's no #400 yet. I wonder which title they're saving it for.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

FitFortDanga posted:

Wow, that cover is pretty slick looking. Very cool--like you said, a bit out of nowhere, but I think a Criterion Mamet is long overdue.

Now you have me wondering about #400...

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Holy poo poo. I've wanted to see House of Games ever since I read Ebert's review of it, but the current DVD didn't look so hot. I will definitely be grabbing that one. :dance:

EDIT: Also, this is an MGM title...hopefully this is a precursor to more MGM titles getting licensed to Criterion, like 12 Angry Men, Sweet Smell of Success and some Woody Allen flicks.

Criminal Minded fucked around with this message at 03:26 on May 16, 2007

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

FitFortDanga posted:

#399 - House of Games

DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES:

• New, restored high-definition digital transfer, supervised by director of photography Juan Ruiz Anchia
• Audio commentary by director David Mamet and consultant and actor Ricky Jay
• New video interviews with actors Lindsay Crouse and Joe Mantegna
• David Mamet on "House of Games," a short documentary shot on location during the film's preparation and production
• Storyboard detail from the deleted scene "The Tap"
• Theatrical trailer
• PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Kent Jones and excerpts from Mamet’s introduction to the published screenplay

Wow, this truly came out of nowhere. I used to LOVE this movie, kinda soured on it a little bit in recent years. Will still rent it to check out the extras though. Ricky Jay!

Color me excited.

vertov
Jun 14, 2003

hello
To be honest I'm not impressed at all. Another rerelease of a film that's already available? And another trip to the well for a "grand old master"? The Spanish film could be good, but I think Criterion is really dragging their feet with August's line-up. The June series looks great, but they've been getting into a really boring pattern of rereleases lately (and if the news about 'A bout de souffle' is true, we have another rerelease to not look forward to).

I'd be interested to see the data on what sells for them. My guess is that rereleases of familiar stuff sells really well, as does the stable of establishes directors that they're committed to promoting, but I'm thinking that everything else falls flat. Given that they have access to so many films through Image, MGM (via Fox) and Paramount, it seems likely that they will keep chugging out familiar titles that have proven to sell. Oh well.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

vertov posted:

To be honest I'm not impressed at all. Another rerelease of a film that's already available? And another trip to the well for a "grand old master"? The Spanish film could be good, but I think Criterion is really dragging their feet with August's line-up. The June series looks great, but they've been getting into a really boring pattern of rereleases lately (and if the news about 'A bout de souffle' is true, we have another rerelease to not look forward to).

I'd be interested to see the data on what sells for them. My guess is that rereleases of familiar stuff sells really well, as does the stable of establishes directors that they're committed to promoting, but I'm thinking that everything else falls flat. Given that they have access to so many films through Image, MGM (via Fox) and Paramount, it seems likely that they will keep chugging out familiar titles that have proven to sell. Oh well.

I agree, it's a dud month. House of Games will sell on the popular market because it's an American movie with recognizable actors, but it's not that great of a film. I have a hard time complaining about Bunuel, but they've really been concentrating on some of his least exciting work.

I'm also not at all looking forward to Breathless... influential as it may be, I find it to be one of Godard's less compelling films.

Hopefully the next Eclipse set to be announced will be a little more adventurous (or at least more to my liking).

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

It feels so 80's or early 90's to be political.
I'm excited about Breathless, but nothing that's actually coming out in August. I hope the rest of the titles for that month are going to be redeemed by a spectacular release #400 or something. But really, there are so many good titles in the library that I don't own yet that I can spend August catching up of some of them.

Edit: I would buy like 4 copies of a 12 Angry Men release

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
I'd probably buy 12 Angry Men as well. Right now I'm spending on money I've allocated on other movies, but we'll see how Criterion goes.

Grapefruit Pulp
Jan 20, 2006

PULP CAN MOVE BABY
does anyone have a full up to date list of oop criterion dvds?

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
I doubt #400 is anything special. Criterion hasn't really set a precedent by releasing incredible titles for any of the previous 00's (Beastie Boys Anthology, Honeymoon Killers, and The Life Aquatic respectively). I like each of those releases enough, but they aren't mindblowingly amazing or incredible (though I do own all of them, but I think I'm going to sell The Honeymoon Killers).

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

It feels so 80's or early 90's to be political.

cryme posted:

I doubt #400 is anything special. Criterion hasn't really set a precedent by releasing incredible titles for any of the previous 00's (Beastie Boys Anthology, Honeymoon Killers, and The Life Aquatic respectively). I like each of those releases enough, but they aren't mindblowingly amazing or incredible (though I do own all of them, but I think I'm going to sell The Honeymoon Killers).

Yeah, but I don't recall them deliberately withholding what those titles would be. It's probably because I wasn't paying that much attention at the time, though.

I'm sort of hoping for Berlin Alexanderplatz, but who knows. I don't think that would be an amazing release to that many people, but I am really anticipating it.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Triphos posted:

Yeah, but I don't recall them deliberately withholding what those titles would be. It's probably because I wasn't paying that much attention at the time, though.
I'm pretty sure they've temporarily skipped other numbers though. It's probably just a release they're not sure they'll get out in time and it just happens to be 400.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
Finally, a decent Breathless!

If Fox is finally sublicensing MGM titles to Criterion, I hope this means we'll see the Selznick Hitchcocks back in print, as well as Straw Dogs (All Selznick International films licensed to MGM by ABC a while ago).

El Graplurado
Mar 24, 2004
I do backflips when you're not looking.
Cria Cuervos is a fine movie, plus it has Jeanette's Por que te vas dominating the soundtrack.

Grapefruit Pulp
Jan 20, 2006

PULP CAN MOVE BABY

Og Oggilby posted:

Finally, a decent Breathless!

If Fox is finally sublicensing MGM titles to Criterion, I hope this means we'll see the Selznick Hitchcocks back in print, as well as Straw Dogs (All Selznick International films licensed to MGM by ABC a while ago).

mgm released a bare bones version of straw dogs that was one minute longer. i don't know what was different about it but it always felt like they were trying to get one up on criterion.

vertov
Jun 14, 2003

hello

Grapefruit Pulp posted:

mgm released a bare bones version of straw dogs that was one minute longer. i don't know what was different about it but it always felt like they were trying to get one up on criterion.

It's the same transfer, so the extra minute must just be company logos at the beginning and maybe the authoring/copy protection stuff at the end.

Also, someone at cf.org is claiming that the Eclipse box for August is going to be three of Sam Fuller's films. That pretty much redeems the month for me.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

vertov posted:

Also, someone at cf.org is claiming that the Eclipse box for August is going to be three of Sam Fuller's films.

If that's true, that'll be an easy one for me to skip. I can think of few people less deserving of their reputation.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

vertov posted:

Also, someone at cf.org is claiming that the Eclipse box for August is going to be three of Sam Fuller's films. That pretty much redeems the month for me.

That would rock. Just ordered a few Criterions:

Fires on the Plain
Honeymoon Killers
Jules and Jim
Salesman
La Haine
Vengeance is Mine

Haven't seen any of them (yes, including J&J). I love every Truffaut I've seen, and love Tokyo Olympiad, the rest are pretty much blind-buys (though I've seen bits of Salesman in college and was quite impressed).

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

bmmello posted:

That would rock. Just ordered a few Criterions:

Fires on the Plain
Honeymoon Killers
Jules and Jim
Salesman
La Haine
Vengeance is Mine

Haven't seen any of them (yes, including J&J). I love every Truffaut I've seen, and love Tokyo Olympiad, the rest are pretty much blind-buys (though I've seen bits of Salesman in college and was quite impressed).

You'll probably regret the Honeymoon Killers. It's interesting, but not worth owning. Also, the audio is horrible for some reason.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
https://www.criteriondvd.com has cover art for Eclipse 4 and 5:

Eclipse 4: Raymond Bernard
- Wooden Crosses
- Les Miserables

Eclipse 5: The First Films of Samuel Fuller
- I Shot Jesse James
- The Baron of Arizona
- The Steel Helmet

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

My Third Man and Sansho shipped today :awesome:

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

cover for Milky Way:

Ugh.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005

FitFortDanga posted:

cover for Milky Way:

Ugh.

Weird, CriterionDVD's cover has a orange-red background instead of the photo.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Og Oggilby posted:

Weird, CriterionDVD's cover has a orange-red background instead of the photo.

Not anymore, though that would look a bit better (not a fan of the font, though).

Also The Third Man reissue is out today, meaning I'll have to find a way to get rid of my old one.

Grapefruit Pulp
Jan 20, 2006

PULP CAN MOVE BABY

FitFortDanga posted:

cover for Milky Way:

Ugh.

The past 4 films released by them have had awful covers. I don't know what's up but they need to fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I just noticed that Cria Cuervos has been moved from #401 to #403. This would seem to suggest that whatever #400 is, it's part of a pair.