Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

KOraithER posted:

Thanks, SuperKlaus. I've been skipping their stupid argument after the first page or so, but it still bugs me.

And OotS is still one of the best webcomics out there.

I-I-I j-just wanted to talk about Alignment, I'm sorry :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Ferrinus posted:

She could always be blown directly into the Snarl's dimension and then come back out as some kind of Snarl-empowered godkiller thing.

That's a silly thing to say and you're a silly person for having said it.

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma
Yeah, I mean, who'd expect discussion about D&D rules in the discussion thread for a comic based on lampooning D&D rules?

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

SuperKlaus posted:

And what the hell, four or five people from the last few pages talking about OoTS starting to suck?
I giggled like a little girl when the Azure Castle or whatever exploded, does that count? I'm happy that everyone inside aside from Xykon, Redcloak and Miko are all dead and I wish the explosion had been just a bit bigger.

I just have never liked the Azure City. I didn't like it in the beginning and I don't like it now. I want them to go back to wandering the countryside in search of adventure or at least random sidequests. Hopefully the next gate is like in a lost ruin or something where there won't be any NPCs around for miles aside from bandits.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Cowcaster posted:

That's a silly thing to say and you're a silly person for having said it.

IT COULD HAPPEN. And her magic would probably be purple and red colored.

Efreet saiid
Jan 29, 2006

by Lowtax
She can't become a snarly death knight, I want her to wander off and re-appear by suprise as the leiutenant of elan's dad who may not ever even be mentioned again! Ferrinus, your idea is inferior to my own and I insist we debate our respective fanfiction predictions for the next ten pages.

SuperKlaus posted:

Maybe you should take it to another thread, Ferrinus and happyelf.
Dude nobody was getting heated and I already stopped arguing before you posted.

Efreet saiid fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jun 11, 2007

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I wonder what the Snarl would look like in the comic today should we see a bit of it? I always assumed it would just be the crayon scrawl, but the crayon indicated flashback, so I'm wondering it viewed in the comic proper it would be a mess of writhing solid lines.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Efreet saiid posted:

She can't become a snarly death knight, I want her to wander off and re-appear by suprise as the leiutenant of elan's dad who may not ever even be mentioned again!

He's the guy who has Haley's dad imprisoned! Obviously!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Vicissitude posted:

He's the guy who has Haley's dad imprisoned! Obviously!

That might be true and would be a good twist, but I thought it was heavily implied Nale had killed his father or something similar. I could be way off, though.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
How did Redcloak and Xykon escape is my question. They didn't even start moving till almost the same round Miko destroyed the crystal, and that was huge explosion. It's reminding me of one of those bad animes where they'll have the bad guy almost defeated andh e always escapes at the last minute. Or season 4 of 24.

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT
It was heavily implied that Nale and his father had a falling out, early in the strip when Elan and Nale fight for the first time.

The whole reason Nale turns on Elan is because he doesn't take Elan rejecting him well, and says that "nobody rejects him, not Elan, not his father or anyone."

I don't believe it says that Nale killed him though. Seeing as how he's dropped two fights to Elan now, it seems unlikely. More so, it seems less likely that Nale wouldn't take control of his father's empire/army in the event that he killed him.

Also, it feels really silly to type Elan and Nale over and over.

NutShellBill fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jun 11, 2007

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

greatn posted:

How did Redcloak and Xykon escape is my question. They didn't even start moving till almost the same round Miko destroyed the crystal, and that was huge explosion. It's reminding me of one of those bad animes where they'll have the bad guy almost defeated andh e always escapes at the last minute. Or season 4 of 24.

They were flying away. Shockwaves, much like falling, rely on impact with solid objects to harm you through sudden deceleration. If you're flying away from the blast however, all it's going to do is increase your flight speed. The Doppler effect on Xykon's evil cackling should be pretty rad though.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jun 11, 2007

Zoolooman
Mar 30, 2003

Gyges posted:

They were flying away. Shockwaves, much like falling, rely on impact with solid objects to harm you through sudden deceleration. If you're flying away from the blast however, all it's going to do is increase your flight speed. The Doppler effect on Xykon's evil cackling should be pretty rad though.

Which is why a big shockwave can kill, since the mass at the front of your body is accelerated against the rest of you, and the entire body gets fatally compressed.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
True enough, but this doesn't work so well against skeletal undead who are already flying away as fast as their overland flight spell will let them. Notice that Xykon is between Redcloak and the explosion, the better to protect a smash prone phylactery.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
Also it is technically a magical dimensional explosion which might have special non named character killing properties.

I believe those are fairly common.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Gyges posted:

Not that it even matters, because A)this is D&D physics where all explosive effects are 100% effective within a certain radius and 0% effective outside of it, and B) what is wrong with you people, it's a stick-figure cartoon comic strip! :psyduck:

Ferrinus posted:

I-I-I j-just wanted to talk about Alignment, I'm sorry :(
Discussion > Games > Traditional Games > D&D Megathread

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

NutShellBill posted:

Also, it feels really silly to type Elan and Nale over and over.

You think you feel silly? I didn't get Nale = Elan in reverse until just this minute.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Gyges posted:

True enough, but this doesn't work so well against skeletal undead who are already flying away as fast as their overland flight spell will let them. Notice that Xykon is between Redcloak and the explosion, the better to protect a smash prone phylactery.

Damage reduction doesn't count against impact damage of miscellaneous concussive force. A Lich who fell 20' would still take the D6 damage, even though the ground probably isn't magical.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Vicissitude posted:

Damage reduction doesn't count against impact damage of miscellaneous concussive force. A Lich who fell 20' would still take the D6 damage, even though the ground probably isn't magical.

Uh, yes it does.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

ConfusedUs posted:

Uh, yes it does.

What if the ground is magical but not blunt?

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

RickoniX posted:

What if you get knocked into an the branch of a magical tree, does that count as magical blunt damage?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

farraday posted:

What if you get knocked into an the branch of a magical tree, does that count as magical blunt damage?

Is magical part of its sub-type (such as magical beast) or does it strike as a magic weapon? If the former, no. If the latter, yes.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

ConfusedUs posted:

Is magical part of its sub-type (such as magical beast) or does it strike as a magic weapon? If the former, no. If the latter, yes.

What if I swing a lich at an animated +1 club, who takes damage?

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

RickoniX posted:

Well, if the Lich falls into a pit trap with +1 spikes at the bottom, that's magical Piercing damage. He'd take damage from the fall, but not the spikes.

farraday posted:

Technically yes, but the damage is from the impact rather than being struck by the tree.

RickoniX posted:

What if I swing a lich at an animated +1 club, who takes damage?

Depends. Do you have Weapon Proficiency: Lich? If not, the Lich would take damage because you can't properly weild him. If so, you'd still have to be making Sunder attempts to damage a weapon.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Vicissitude posted:

Depends. Do you have Weapon Proficiency: Lich? If not, the Lich would take damage because you can't properly weild him. If so, you'd still have to be making Sunder attempts to damage a weapon.

Oooh perfect. Get Weapon Proficiency: Phylactery then beat the Lich to death with his own soul.

There is no way that doesn't work.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

farraday posted:

Oooh perfect. Get Weapon Proficiency: Phylactery then beat the Lich to death with his own soul.

There is no way that doesn't work.

But what do you beat his soul to death with, then?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
See, this is funny.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Robot Bastard posted:

Yeah, I mean, who'd expect discussion about D&D rules in the discussion thread for a comic based on lampooning D&D rules?

Quiet, you. (no insult meant)

I don't really mind talk about Miko's alignment (this thread was born of it) and now that I look at it a little more I see Ferrinus and happyelf were being quite civil and I thank them for it. I just saw one of those arguments straight out of D&D the forum where obviously nobody was convincing anybody.

farraday posted:

If you get knocked into a magical cannabis plant it does.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

MikeJF posted:

But what do you beat his soul to death with, then?

Another soul. Duh. :rolleyes:

Since the soul is technically the essence of the creature itself, it has the same extraordinary abilities. Damage reduction is an (Ex) ability and creatures with Damage Reduction can bypass the same DR of other creatures (ie, A vampire with DR X/magic and silver has its natural attacks count as magic and silver for the purposes of bypassing DR). Since the Lich has DR 15/Magic and Bludgeoning, its soul would, too.

This is all more or less moot because the phylactery is a magic item, thereby fullfilling the magic requirement, and most of them are blunt anyway. Even those that aren't usually have a flat surface.

Vicissitude fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jun 12, 2007

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Vicissitude posted:

Another soul. Duh. :rolleyes:

Since the soul is technically the essence of the creature itself, it has the same extraordinary abilities. Damage reduction is an (Ex) ability and creatures with Damage Reduction can bypass the same DR of other creatures (ie, A vampire with DR X/magic and silver has its natural attacks count as magic and silver for the purposes of bypassing DR). Since the Lich has DR 15/Magic and Bludgeoning, its soul would, too.

This is all more or less moot because the phylactery is a magic item, thereby fullfilling the magic requirement, and most of them are blunt anyway. Even those that aren't usually have a flat surface.

Not only that but Phalactery's have a hardness of 20, that's the same as adamantine.

Therefore Phylactery's are magical blunt adamantine weapons.

Seriously why would you want to destroy it? Just kill the lich every week or so and use it to beat up things you run across for fun and profit.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
Hey guys, if like OOTS, you would probably enjoy the The Intercontinental Union of Disgusting Characters: http://home.netcom.com/~rogermw/ADnD/

Which basically is like OOTS but in 1st edition AD&D instead of 3.5. And without pictures.

quote:

Ringman rubbed his finger bones. "You've more than proven your strength to me, young lady. You'll make an excellent warrior."

"Weapons master, please. Ordinary warriors don't get to add their dexterity to-hit adjustment with missiles into their to-hit chance with melee weapons, or get as many attacks per minute with a melee weapon as a monk of the same level does with his open hands."

Ringman's jaw dropped open a foot. "How do you get that?!?"

She took out Dragon & Dragrace. "Right here, page 34, top and bottom paragraphs."

Ringman quickly formed the words "melee weapon," "dexterity," "to-hit," "monks," and "open-hand attacks." "All right, I believe you. How come I never heard of these bonuses?"

"Because only melee weapons masters get them, and they're a hot-off-the-press character class."

"So," Ringman changed the subject slightly, "What is your dexterity?"

"Only eighteen now, but —"

"I see. Uh, and your constitution?"

"Oh, eighteen, of course."

"Of course." Ringman was getting worried. Straight 18's across the board was a sure-fire ringer for that new I.U.D.C.. "Do you have anything that's not an 18?"

"Sure. My hit points are only 14. And my level's only 1."

'Maximum hit points,' Ringman thought, 'all 18's, a character class deadlier than any previously devised, and psionics. I think I'm in big trouble.' "What do you intend to use your talents for?" he asked.

"Killing centaurs and taking their four 1 000 000 gold piece gems."

Ringman gasped.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

:siren: New Comic :siren:

gently caress YOU BURLEW!

Hmm... Id eifnately saw it but now it's disappeared. If It comes up again I'll waffle images it quick.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917

farraday posted:

:siren: New Comic :siren:

gently caress YOU BURLEW!

Hmm... Id eifnately saw it but now it's disappeared. If It comes up again I'll waffle images it quick.

poo poo, someone get it up quick! I'm so pissed that I just missed it!

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

I could tell you what's in it but you'd slap me and I'd deserve it.
success!

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

drat and I had my money on Miko becoming a blackguard and getting yelled at by Soon.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I never thought I'd feel sorry for Miko. :(

KaLogain
Dec 29, 2004

I got her number. How do you like them apples?
Cybernetic Crumb
I'd just look at the site, but its down because of the new comic, has anyone received there book number -1 yet? Or is it not out yet?

evilsake
Oct 25, 2004

by Fragmaster
I got both of my wishes! :woop:

And you suckers were yammering about monk evasion and poo poo.

evilsake fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jun 12, 2007

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
If I were Rich Burlew I'd be closing my forums right about now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917

farraday posted:

I could tell you what's in it but you'd slap me and I'd deserve it.
success!

OMG YES! Thanks man, it's like Christmas came early!