Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grapefruit Pulp
Jan 20, 2006

PULP CAN MOVE BABY
It's most likely Berlin Alexanderplatz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you
Barnes & Noble is having a buy two, get one free DVD sale. For the most part it's not worth it because their prices are so high, but it's not a bad deal for Criterions, especially if you have a B&N membership (or know someone who does).

EDIT: e.g. Three of the $39.99 retail price Criterions for $71.98+tax total, or $64.78+tax if you have a membership.

STEVIE B 4EVA fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jun 1, 2007

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Those of you who don't like that they're releasing already released movies will probably not be glad to hear that the latest newsletter hints at another rerelease: Days of Heaven.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Those of you who don't like that they're releasing already released movies will probably not be glad to hear that the latest newsletter hints at another rerelease: Days of Heaven.

Well, Paramount's DVD was released way back in 1999, so it's not that big of a deal.

edit: n/m I misread it thinking it was about Pi instead of The Fountain.

Og Oggilby fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jun 7, 2007

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Og Oggilby posted:

Also, CriterionDVD's forum has a blurb from Darren Aronofsky about wanting a Criterion edition of Pi, but not in the cards yet.

That doesn't make any sense to me, the current DVD is pretty feature packed and the movie really wouldn't benefit from a better transfer. I also think it's a terrible movie, but that's beside the point.

Edit: did you mean for The Fountain?

IndieRockLance
Jan 29, 2003

The devourer of worlds demands a Moon Pie to satiate his hunger!

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

That doesn't make any sense to me, the current DVD is pretty feature packed and the movie really wouldn't benefit from a better transfer. I also think it's a terrible movie, but that's beside the point.

Edit: did you mean for The Fountain?

Looks like he meant The Fountain.

http://www.criterionforum.com/index.php?showtopic=2529

Here's the blog in question:

quote:

so the dvd came out.
happy that it is in the world.
hope more folks will get to see it.

as many of you can tell it is light on the extras as compared to my previous dvd releases.

everything at the studio was a struggle.
for instance: they didn't want to do a commentary track cause they felt that it wouldn't help sales.
i didn't have it in me to fight anymore.
whatever.

so:
niko, my friend who did the doc on the dvd came up with a novel idea.
we recorded a commentary track ourselves.
we're gonna post it on a site soon, http coming soon.
you can play it and watch the flick and hopefully you'll enjoy it.

i do hope to do a big special edition at some point. but for that to happen the dvd is gonna have to sell.
i got a lot of extras in my bag so who know maybe if you all write to criterion they'll get interested (suggest the fountain as a title: mulvaney@criterion.com).

they've been into pi and requiem but because the first run of dvd's had so many extras they didn't know what else they could add. but the fountain...

i hope you are all well. i've been writing. stuff is coming. gonna know what we are doing next soon enough.

best,
da

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

According to the latest Criterion blog, G.W. Pabst's Threepenny Opera will be #405.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

I didn't see this mentioned here (maybe I missed it?) but just in case:

Both deepdiscount.com and dvdplanet.com are currently doing 20% off sales. They both end on the 17th I believe.

If you use DVDPlanet for Criterion/Eclipse stuff, then the pricing structure becomes:

$29.99 titles: $15.58
$39.99 titles: $20.78
$49.99 titles: $25.98
$99.99 titles: $51.97

If you're interested in it, the new Eclipse set "Late Ozu" is going for $36.38 shipped.

For DVDPlanet enter the reusable code: "20OFFSALE" at the checkout screen to get the discount; at DeepDiscount enter the code "dvdtalk", or "supersale", or "nytimes".

I ordered way, way, way too much stuff.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

These loving sales always bring out the most indecisiveness in me. I have the old Third Man, is the new one worth getting on extras alone? I didn't buy the reissue of Brazil because everything except the packaging and transfer were the same as the old one. Or should I buy The Battle of Algiers? I loved the movie but 3 discs seems a bit excessive (unlike Brazil which had a separate cut of the film).

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I'd just like to mention that, holy poo poo, Short Cuts comes with a loving book.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

FitFortDanga posted:

#402 - The Milky Way

• New, restored high-definition digital transfer
• Video introduction by screenwriter Jean-Claude Carričre
• New video interview with film scholar Ian Christie
• Theatrical trailer
• New and improved English subtitles
• More!
• PLUS: A booklet featuring new essays by Carlos Fuentes and Mark Polizzotti, and a reprinted interview with Luis Buńuel

Meh. I think this is my least favorite Bunuel. I might not even bother with a rental. Sigh... why couldn't it be Exterminating Angel?

They've tacked on another feature:

* Luis Bunuel: Atheist Thanks to God, a documentary featuring several of Bunuel's close friends and collaborators

This will make a rental worthwhile, at least.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

New criterions coming, including the revalation of what 400 will be:
400:

401:

404:

405:

406:

Peaceful Anarchy fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jun 15, 2007

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

406:

:crossarms:

That was unexpected.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Criminal Minded posted:

:crossarms:

That was unexpected.

No kidding. Looking through IMDB I'm assuming it's this, but there's not really enough there to see why they chose it.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Does anybody know if Criterion is planning on releasing anymore Mikio Naruse movies? I love "When a Woman Ascends the Stairs", and would love to see some more releases. I'm aware of the UK boxset release, but it really is a little too expensive, especially if Criterion has them waiting in the wings.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Nothing too thrilling for me. I was really underwhelmed by Strangers in Paradise, but it's been about 7 years so maybe I'd benefit from a revisit. Robinson Crusoe on Mars might be fun. I didn't think Pandora's Box was especially noteworthy, might not even bother renting Threepenny Opera.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

No kidding. Looking through IMDB I'm assuming it's this, but there's not really enough there to see why they chose it.

The Martha Graham set includes the following:

A Dancer's World
Appalachian Spring http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0478971/
Night Journey http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0422824/
Martha Graham: The Dancer Revealed

zandert33 posted:

Does anybody know if Criterion is planning on releasing anymore Mikio Naruse movies? I love "When a Woman Ascends the Stairs", and would love to see some more releases. I'm aware of the UK boxset release, but it really is a little too expensive, especially if Criterion has them waiting in the wings.

I'm sure they will eventually.

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

It feels so 80's or early 90's to be political.
Hm. Don't really care about any of those releases enough to buy them, but I'll definitely give the Jarmusch films a rental. I'll probably look at the dance DVDs just for the hell of it.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

Wow, wow. Being a Jarmusch fan, I was already looking forward to Night on Earth. Seeing Stranger than Paradise being released too is just way awesome.

Oh and

Permanent Vacation (1980, 75 minutes), Jarmusch's first full-length feature, presented in a new, restored high-definition digital transfer supervised by the director

At last!

bmmello fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jun 16, 2007

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

FitFortDanga posted:

Nothing too thrilling for me. I was really underwhelmed by Strangers in Paradise, but it's been about 7 years so maybe I'd benefit from a revisit. Robinson Crusoe on Mars might be fun. I didn't think Pandora's Box was especially noteworthy, might not even bother renting Threepenny Opera.

Threepenny Opera is actually the one I'm most interested in, nothing else really caught my eye, though I haven't seen any Jarmusch so maybe if I had I'd be more jazzed up for him. I'll definitely give Robinson Crusoe on Mars a look as well. This is a pretty underwhelming month compared to most of the year, I was really hoping for Under the Volcano.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
They have full specs and covers up (except for the Martha Graham DVD)

#400 - Stranger Than Paradise

• New, restored high-definition digital transfer, supervised and approved by director Jim Jarmusch
  • Permanent Vacation (1980, 75 minutes), Jarmusch's first full-length feature, presented in a new, restored high-definition digital transfer supervised by the director
  • Kino '84: Jim Jarmusch: a 1984 German television program featuring interviews with cast and crew from Stranger Than Paradise and Permanent Vacation
  • Some Days in January, 1984, a behind-the-scenes Super-8 film by Tom Jarmusch
  • Location and on-set photos
  • U.S. and Japanese trailers
  • PLUS: A booklet featuring Jarmusch's 1984 "Some Notes on Stranger Than Paradise," Geoff Andrew and J. Hoberman on Stranger Than Paradise, and Luc Sante on Permanent Vacation

The new transfer was made 2K from the original camera negative, too.

#401 - Night on Earth

• New, restored high-definition digital transfer, supervised and approved by director Jim Jarmusch
  • Audio commentary by director of photography Frederick Elmes and location sound mixer Drew Kunin
  • Q&A with Jarmusch, in which he responds to questions sent by fans
  • 1992 Belgian television interview with Jarmusch
  • New and improved subtitle translation
  • PLUS: A booklet featuring new essays by Paul Auster, Thom Andersen, Bernard Eisenschitz, Goffredo Fofi, and Peter von Bagh, as well as the lyrics to Tom Waits's original songs from the film

#402 - Robinson Crusoe on Mars

• New, restored high-definition digital transfer
  • Audio commentary featuring screenwriter Ib Melchior, actors Paul Mantee and Victor Lundin, production designer Al Nozaki, Oscar-winning special effects designer and Robinson Crusoe on Mars historian Robert Skotak, and excerpts from a 1979 audio interview with director Byron Haskin
  • "Destination: Mars," a new video featurette by Michael Lennick detailing the science behind Robinson Crusoe on Mars
  • Excerpts from Melchior's original screenplay
  • New music video for Victor Lundin’s song "Robinson Crusoe on Mars"
  • Stills gallery of behind-the-scenes photos, production designs, and promotional material
  • Theatrical trailer
  • PLUS: A booklet featuring a new essay by filmmaker and space historian Michael Lennick, a "Brief Yargorian Dictionary" of Melchior’s original alien dialect, and a list of facts about Mars included with his original screenplay

#405 - The Threepenny Opera

• New, restored high-definition digital transfer (taken from a new film restoration element from the Bundesarchiv in Germany)
  • Audio commentary by scholars David Bathrick, author of The Dialectic and the Early Brecht, and Eric Rentschler, author of The Films of G. W. Pabst
  • L'opera de quat'sous, Pabst's French-language version of The Threepenny Opera, starring Albert PrĂ©jean and Florelle
  • A video interview with film scholar Charles O'Brien on the differences between the English and French versions
  • New exclusive documentary on Threepenny’s controversial journey from stage to screen to lawsuits
  • Gallery of production photos by Hans Casparius
  • Production sketches by art director Andre Andrejew
  • New and improved English subtitle translation
  • PLUS: A new essay by film critic Tony Rayns

It's properly 1.20:1, too.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish
Whoo@the Jarmusch transfers.

On a less-happy note, If... comes out Tuesday and I'm more or less out of money until at least mid-July :(

Black Trombone
May 9, 2007

I say, do f. that s. squarely in the a., old fruit.
I'm making GBS threads myself over Threepenny Opera. I don't think the cover art could be any better, either. I love you, Criterion. :love:

I'm getting If... in from Netflix next week. I saw it on VHS a few months ago, but I can't wait to hear the commentary. I can only hope that it turns out to be as interesting as I imagine.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

I'm so very happy at Night on Earth finally becomming available in the US. The film is fantastic, and Jarmusch's Q'n'As are pretty fantastic. I wish he would do commentaries, but I know that will never happen :(

With Permanent Vacation, now the Jarmusch collection can be complete (tossing out Year of the Horse, because that's just lame)

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Black Trombone posted:

I'm making GBS threads myself over Threepenny Opera. I don't think the cover art could be any better, either. I love you, Criterion. :love:

I'm getting If... in from Netflix next week. I saw it on VHS a few months ago, but I can't wait to hear the commentary. I can only hope that it turns out to be as interesting as I imagine.

Agreed about Threepenny Opera. I've been wanting to see it for a while now. Great cover too, especially after seeing some of their other recent (non-Kurosawa-related) ones.

If... is another one that I've been interested in. I had actually never heard of it until someone pointed out that a Super Famicom game I like totally rips off the "if..." red font for its subtitle due to its premise. I didn't even know the movie existed until about a year ago. Every description I read of the movie makes me want to see it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Why is Armageddon in the Criterion collectioin?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Mu Zeta posted:

Why is Armageddon in the Criterion collectioin?

1) It generates revenue to help fund lower-profile releases.
2) It's an excellent representative of the mega-budget summer blockbuster, a perfectly valid segment of the world of cinema.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Rumor has it that Criterion is working on Two-Lane Blacktop. Hopefully they're port over the extras from the Anchor Bay release.

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Dignité. Toujours, dignité.

Og Oggilby posted:

#401 - Night on Earth

#402 - Robinson Crusoe on Mars

THANK YOU CRITERION OH THANK YOU THANK YOU :awesome:

I must have watched "RC on M" a million times as a kid. Haven't seen it for like 20 years, I can't wait. Top of the Netflix queue ASAP.

I've been searching everywhere for a R1 DVD of Night on Earth, that one's getting bought for sure along with the Criterion House of Games. What great news about these films, this made my whole day.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Peter Cowie confirms that The Magician is coming in 2008. Good news for us Bergman fans, it's one of the few "major" films of his that hasn't been released in R1 yet. It's a great movie, not one of my very favorites, but it's really interesting to consider in context. It comes between Seventh Seal/Wild Strawberries and the "faith trilogy", and you can see all the different elements from those works blending together.

Dabodach
Sep 9, 2001

I just bent with the times here and there, but no disrespect.
Are they planning to release the two sequels to If one day? After having seen If I'm curious about O Lucky Man.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Hell yes, I am so picking up the Robinson Crusoe.
That movie is pretty drat great for 70s scifi, and seldom recognized for it.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Hell yes, I am so picking up the Robinson Crusoe.
That movie is pretty drat great for 70s scifi, and seldom recognized for it.

It's from 1964.

Here's the Martha Graham cover:

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Well that would certainly explain why it's not recognized as 70s cinema. :downs:
I coulda sworn that thing was from '71. I must've gotten it confused with something else.

All the more reason to pick up the Criterion and get the story straight. :P

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005

Dabodach posted:

Are they planning to release the two sequels to If one day? After having seen If I'm curious about O Lucky Man.

O Lucky Man is owned by Warner Bros and they don't have a partnership with Criterion. However, they're supposed to release their DVD by the end of the year, complete with a Malcolm McDowell commentary. Britannia Hospital is owned by StudioCanal and the current DVD is from Anchor Bay.

SteepleJack
Oct 20, 2005
Live.
Holy poo poo, you guys. Stranger than Paradise is my favorite Jarmusch film. This is awesome.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Og Oggilby posted:

Apparently this is a reference to Monte Hellman's Two-Lane Blacktop.

"The Driver and The Mechanic are two car freaks driving a 1955 Chevy throughout the southwestern U.S. looking for other cars to race. They are totally dedicated to The Car and converse with each other only when necessary. At a gas station, The Driver and The Mechanic, along with a girl who has ingratiated herself into their world, meet G.T.O., a middle-aged man who fabricates stories about his exploits. It is decided to have a race to Washington, D.C., where the winner will get the loser's car. Along the way, the race and the highway metaphorically depict the lives of these contestants as they struggle to their destination."

Looks a bit offbeat, interesting anyway.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Criminal Minded posted:

Apparently this is a reference to Monte Hellman's Two-Lane Blacktop.
This is cool, but was there a sudden revival of interest in this film that I missed? This used to be one of those films that I'd mention and get blank stares.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

YES!

Two-Lane Blacktop has been having a revival of sorts. We had our hands on a print a couple of weeks ago that was so new that it still had the heads and tails on it.

The film is fantastic and I'm glad to see Criterion paying some attention to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

NeuroticErotica posted:

YES!

Two-Lane Blacktop has been having a revival of sorts. We had our hands on a print a couple of weeks ago that was so new that it still had the heads and tails on it.

The film is fantastic and I'm glad to see Criterion paying some attention to it.

Just from looking at the movie's IMDb page and poster, I figured you'd be jazzed for this - depending on how much you liked the movie, that is, I certainly assumed you'd seen it.