Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Furd_Terguson
Nov 17, 2004

"sheeeeeit"
So I run a headless Debian server without a GUI installed and would like to burn a DVD ISO directly from this machine without sending it over my network and burning it on my laptop. The unit already has a DVDRW, but what is the best CLI-only DVD burning app?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alowishus
Jan 8, 2002

My name is Mud
cdrecord will do DVDs too. Use the -scanbus option to find your burner's device number, and then something like:
code:
cdrecord -v dev=6,0,0 driveropts=burnfree file.iso

Soggy Chips
Sep 26, 2006

Fear is the mind killer

teapot posted:

You can reshape raid5 arrays, so yes, this is possible. See http://scotgate.org/?p=107 for example.

OK, so I've put the drive in and added it as a spare as per the first step but when I do the second step this happens

root@Nostromo:/dev# mdadm --grow /dev/md0 --raid-devices=5
mdadm: Need to backup 1536K of critical section..
mdadm: Cannot set device size/shape for /dev/md0: Invalid argument

Looking at the man for mdadm it says that it only supports doing raid devices for raid1 arrays and active size for raid 5. So I tell apt to update mdadm and says its fully up to date. Also I am running 2.6.17 which supposedly does support this feature.

What am I doing wrong, or what should i try next ?

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Crush posted:

Is there a way to create a simple script that allows me to connect to an SSH session WITHOUT prompting for a password (hardcoded into the script?)?

This got me thinking, is there something funny you can do with PAM to bypass the security (other than use pam_permit)? Storing account passwords in clear text is upsetting, so I would imagine there's a good way to do this just to rig the authentication itself. Maybe if the connection was coming from a specific host or something like that.

lilbean
Oct 2, 2003

OuterSpaceMan posted:

This got me thinking, is there something funny you can do with PAM to bypass the security (other than use pam_permit)? Storing account passwords in clear text is upsetting, so I would imagine there's a good way to do this just to rig the authentication itself. Maybe if the connection was coming from a specific host or something like that.
Ideally you'd use SSH public key authentication to set it up. Basically you generate an SSH private and public key and drop the public key in the account home directory that you're connecting to. Then anything initiating an SSH connection to that target using the private key can connect without the password (assuming the key itself isn't password protected). There's lots of documents explaining it like this:

http://sial.org/howto/openssh/publickey-auth/

Soggy Chips
Sep 26, 2006

Fear is the mind killer
(As this wont let me edit my last post)

I've updated mdadm manually up to 2.6.2 from 2.4.1 so now the man claims it can grow raid 5 arrays however I still get the same message:

root@Nostromo:/home/soggy# mdadm --grow /dev/md0 --raid-devices=5

For commedy value I try set it to what it should already be

root@Nostromo:/home/soggy# mdadm --grow /dev/md0 --raid-devices=4
mdadm: /dev/md0: Cannot reshape array without increasing size (yet).

And in case anyone cares this is the result of a mdadm --detail

/dev//md0:
Version : 00.90.03
Creation Time : Fri Feb 9 19:28:20 2007
Raid Level : raid5
Array Size : 1172133888 (1117.83 GiB 1200.27 GB)
Used Dev Size : 390711296 (372.61 GiB 400.09 GB)
Raid Devices : 4
Total Devices : 5
Preferred Minor : 0
Persistence : Superblock is persistent

Update Time : Sun Jun 17 13:50:47 2007
State : clean
Active Devices : 4
Working Devices : 5
Failed Devices : 0
Spare Devices : 1

Layout : left-symmetric
Chunk Size : 128K

UUID : e10e5fd1:1584c8fe:9b67c43f:1e57e7d0
Events : 0.531700

Number Major Minor RaidDevice State
0 8 16 0 active sync /dev/sdb
1 8 32 1 active sync /dev/sdc
2 8 48 2 active sync /dev/sdd
3 8 0 3 active sync /dev/sda

4 8 64 - spare /dev/sde

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Soggy Chips posted:

(As this wont let me edit my last post)

I've updated mdadm manually up to 2.6.2 from 2.4.1 so now the man claims it can grow raid 5 arrays however I still get the same message:

root@Nostromo:/home/soggy# mdadm --grow /dev/md0 --raid-devices=5

What is your kernel's version?

kyuss
Nov 6, 2004

teapot posted:

0. Post your hardware configuration. How would anyone be able to spot a known-unreliable hardware or something that is not supposed to work until some proprietary driver is installed?

Update: the culprit was some ancient ISDN card we were totally oblivious of, and that was hogging precious IRQs. The ensuing gangrape of the last free IRQ by graphics, sound and TV card was apparently causing the lockups :)

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Edit: doublepost

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Mar 13, 2017

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

GregNorc posted:

How can I find out if a cron job is running? (I'm on OSX if it matters)

I went through a tuturial to make a simple one that would back up my files to my USB drive, but I think it might now have been saved in the right place

I used this comand crontab -e or something, and was told no file existed, then vim opened.
This is normal.

quote:

I wrote it out in vim, then did :w, but I'm worried that it might have saved in whatever directory I had been in when I called vim, and not where crontabs are supposed to be.
It creates a temporary file that you are supposed to edit, so if you have saved it with the default file name and exited vim (:wq or :w <enter> :q), crontab should pick it and write into /var/spool/cron/crontabs/gregnorc file (or whatever this would be on OSX). You won't be able to see this file directly without being root, so you have to use crontab command to view or edit it.

quote:

is there any way to check? (I tried typing md5 /Volumes/Backup but it said that's a directory and refused.)

code:
crontab -l

teapot fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jun 17, 2007

Soggy Chips
Sep 26, 2006

Fear is the mind killer

teapot posted:

What is your kernel's version?

2.6.17 afaik

thenameseli
Sep 6, 2006
Now for a question of my own.
I recently came across an old symlink which I cannot seem to delete.
code:
# rm foo
rm: cannot remove `foo': Invalid argument
# stat foo
stat: cannot stat `foo': Invalid argument
# ls -l ./
?--------- ? ?  ?          ?                ? foo
-rw-r--r-- 1 ec users  10781 2007-05-06 23:50 bar
I have never seen this before, and it's causing annoying errors for rsync. Any idea how I can get rid of this stale link?

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Soggy Chips posted:

2.6.17 afaik

2.6.17 has that feature, however there were some bugfixes since then -- upgrade the kernel to the latest packaged version.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

thenameseli posted:

Now for a question of my own.
I recently came across an old symlink which I cannot seem to delete.
code:
# rm foo
rm: cannot remove `foo': Invalid argument
# stat foo
stat: cannot stat `foo': Invalid argument
# ls -l ./
?--------- ? ?  ?          ?                ? foo
-rw-r--r-- 1 ec users  10781 2007-05-06 23:50 bar
I have never seen this before, and it's causing annoying errors for rsync. Any idea how I can get rid of this stale link?
Does ls actually show question marks?

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I've got an old laptop and I'm wondering which version of Ubuntu I should put on it.

The specs are:

quote:

P3 933
384MB PC100 SDRAM
10GB hard drive
some totally poo poo SiS integrated graphics
DVD/CD drive
weighs like 48 loving pounds and sounds like a jet

I was thinking of Xubuntu but that looks to be for systems even shittier than this.

Thoughts?

VERTiG0 fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jun 18, 2007

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

VERTiG0 posted:

I've got an old laptop and I'm wondering which version of Ubuntu I should put on it.

The specs are:

P3 933
384MB PC100 SDRAM
10GB hard drive
some totally poo poo SiS integrated graphics
DVD/CD drive
weighs like 48 loving pounds and sounds like a jet

I was thinking of Xubuntu but that looks to be for systems even shittier than this.

Thoughts?

Full Ubuntu. Maybe with some tweaks to get rid of constantly running Nautilis.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Edit: doublepost

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Mar 13, 2017

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

VERTiG0 posted:

Thoughts?
Xubuntu runs fine on my 1.8 GHz Opteron. XFCE isn't just for lovely systems. Is there any functionality benefit of running a full gnome install? Personally, I don't see one.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

GregNorc posted:

crontab -l says I have no crontab file, what would the default location be so I know where to save it next time?

Whatever it given to you -- just exit vim with <esc>:wq<enter>

Don't close the terminal window until you are back at the shell prompt.

Bubblegum Wishes
May 22, 2007

I'm sure this has been asked before but I didn't see it anywhere so I'm sorry for asking again.

I'm running Ubuntu Fiesty, is there a calender app that will work with google calender and sit nicely in the panels and on the desktop?

Ideally I would like it to show the week view and detailed daily view.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Bubblegum Wishes posted:

I'm sure this has been asked before but I didn't see it anywhere so I'm sorry for asking again.

I'm running Ubuntu Fiesty, is there a calender app that will work with google calender and sit nicely in the panels and on the desktop?

Ideally I would like it to show the week view and detailed daily view.

Evolution (it's installed by default, and works with the clock/calendar applet).

http://johnnyjacob.wordpress.com/2006/04/30/google-calendar-in-evolution/

thenameseli
Sep 6, 2006

teapot posted:

Does ls actually show question marks?

Yes, that's exactly what I get in aterm. Not a locale issue.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

thenameseli posted:

Yes, that's exactly what I get in aterm. Not a locale issue.

code:
touch /forcefsck
reboot

Soggy Chips
Sep 26, 2006

Fear is the mind killer

teapot posted:

2.6.17 has that feature, however there were some bugfixes since then -- upgrade the kernel to the latest packaged version.

Upgraded from Edgy to Feisty and its worked first off. Cheers for that

rookieone
May 25, 2004

A small town never forgets
I have a problem running Pure-FTPD here on my home connection and having my gf connect to it (yeah she know how to use FTP :3: )
Here's what I am running at the moment:
code:
pure-ftpd -S 28453 -c 5 -4 -A -b -B -c 5 -E -O clf:/var/log/pureftpd.log -R -u 1000
Of course I have forwarded the port 28453 to my internal IP address.

I can connect to it fine from my Dreamhost account with ftp, but *NOT* with mc nor ncftp. :psyduck:

My gf could connect to the server put not put anything on it (some problem with passive mode apparently)

Does anybody have an idea what I'm doing wrong ?

Oh don't suggest pro-ftpd I didn't get it :(

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

rookieone posted:

Does anybody have an idea what I'm doing wrong ?

Oh don't suggest pro-ftpd I didn't get it :(

mc's ftp client is pretty terrible, and you should really be using lftp over ncftp anyways. See what happens then. If that doesn't work, turn off PASV mode in lftp and try again.

JoeNotCharles
Mar 3, 2005

Yet beyond each tree there are only more trees.

skroll posted:

mc's ftp client is pretty terrible, and you should really be using lftp over ncftp anyways. See what happens then. If that doesn't work, turn off PASV mode in lftp and try again.

Why is lftp better than ncftp?

hedge77
Feb 10, 2004

Fear the 'Fro
if you're using passive mode you need a range of ports open and forwarded to the FTP host. In pureftp it's the -p first:last option (or --passiveportrange). Something like '-p 17000:17050' (overkill port-wise, but it should definitely work).

these are seperate from the normal ftp listening port, which it sounds like you've changed.

hedge77 fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jun 20, 2007

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
I'm trying to compile ndiswrapper under Fedora7. I downloaded the kernel sources as described here, and they seem to have put themselves under /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/kernel-2.6.21/linux-2.6.21 . I tried pointing make to /BUILD, /BUILD/kernel-2.6.21, and /BUILD/kernel-2.6.21/linux-2.6.21, but it still complains that it can't find the sources. Someone on linuxquestions.org reccomended I try dkms, but that has the same problem; I can't get it to find my kernel sources. I even tried moving everything to /lib/modules/($uname -r)/build, but it still won't work. Can someone tell me what make wants from me? I'm getting sick of running an ethernet cable through my house to get internet.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

What is the consensus of the Linux+ cert?

I know its entry level, but it seems easy enough and I'm confident I could pass if it I was to take it right now. Is it going to buy me anything at all?

I have my MCDST on the Microsoft side, and close to MCSA. On the Linux side I have only expereince, but am looking at my RHCT towards the end of this year.

Any thoughts on Linux+?

Alowishus
Jan 8, 2002

My name is Mud

Sister Miyagi posted:

I'm trying to compile ndiswrapper under Fedora7. I downloaded the kernel sources as described here, and they seem to have put themselves under /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/kernel-2.6.21/linux-2.6.21.
I think that doc is just wrong... or at least it's making things harder than they should be. This can get a little confusing, but let me try to explain...

Source RPMs (.src.rpm) are intended to be used to rebuild a package. You're not trying to rebuild the kernel package itself here, so you probably don't want the .src.rpm, and you don't need to be pointing anything to the RPM building area (/usr/src/redhat).

Instead, what you want to do is build a separate package (ndiswrapper) against the kernel. So what you need is not the actual .src.rpm for the kernel, but instead the "kernel source" RPM, which is called "kernel-devel-2.6.21-1.3194.fc7.i686.rpm". If you install that, you'll get the proper kernel source and header files in /usr/src.

With most other packages the -devel just contains headers (.h) and libraries (.so) so this is less confusing... but for building kernel modules you need source code so that's what's inside -devel. It's just set up differently than the source inside the .src.rpm that's meant for building the actual RPM.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
[[ Please wait, retrieving post quote... ]]

Alowishus posted:

I think that doc is just wrong... or at least it's making things harder than they should be. This can get a little confusing, but let me try to explain...

I see, thanks. I tried installing the kernel-devel package, but it says it's already installed. Where would the files I need be?

Edit: Never mind, i figured it out. It was /usr/sbin/kernels/($uname -r), and I was putting 'kernel'. Thanks again for the explanation; it really helped!

A Pinball Wizard fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jun 20, 2007

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

JoeNotCharles posted:

Why is lftp better than ncftp?

While they both offer a command line interface, lftp's back end and connection handling is mounds better.

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005
I FOR ONE WELCOME OUR NEW STUPID FUCKING CATCHPHRASE OVERLORDS

Walked posted:

What is the consensus of the Linux+ cert?

I know its entry level, but it seems easy enough and I'm confident I could pass if it I was to take it right now. Is it going to buy me anything at all?

I have my MCDST on the Microsoft side, and close to MCSA. On the Linux side I have only expereince, but am looking at my RHCT towards the end of this year.

Any thoughts on Linux+?

IMHO (you asked for it), as someone who conducts interviews for linux/solaris admins I give very very very little weight to any of the current certifications for linux. People that have them tend to use the vendor provided tools that are specific to their distro and have a (in my experience) far lesser level of skill when using non-distro specific tools and techniques. That said, I'm sure that these certs are probably seen as a good thing by other employers; but I'd personally spend my time/effort reading man pages and learning how to be flexible and powerful with a minimal set of standard tools.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number
Does anyone know what
code:
libusual: modprobe for usb-storage succeeded, but module is not present
is about, or how to fix it. This message shows up in the logs at every startup of my fileserver, and after that, the USB drive fails to mount. I have to run "modprobe usb-storage", and the device pops right up.

How do I go about fixing this? I just made a clean install of Fedora 7, and the current kernel is 2.6.21-1.3228.fc7, I think.

If you guys want more information, just ask. I just thought these were the most important parts of the current problem.

JoeNotCharles
Mar 3, 2005

Yet beyond each tree there are only more trees.

kapinga posted:

Does anyone know what
code:
libusual: modprobe for usb-storage succeeded, but module is not present
is about, or how to fix it. This message shows up in the logs at every startup of my fileserver, and after that, the USB drive fails to mount. I have to run "modprobe usb-storage", and the device pops right up.

How do I go about fixing this? I just made a clean install of Fedora 7, and the current kernel is 2.6.21-1.3228.fc7, I think.

If you guys want more information, just ask. I just thought these were the most important parts of the current problem.

Easiest way off the top of my head is to add "usb-storage" to /etc/modules - that will automatically load it at boot time. Or it might just give you the same message at boot time, but I guess it's worth a try. It's weird that it can load fine from the command line, but not when "libusual" triggers it.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

dfn_doe posted:

IMHO (you asked for it), as someone who conducts interviews for linux/solaris admins I give very very very little weight to any of the current certifications for linux. People that have them tend to use the vendor provided tools that are specific to their distro and have a (in my experience) far lesser level of skill when using non-distro specific tools and techniques. That said, I'm sure that these certs are probably seen as a good thing by other employers; but I'd personally spend my time/effort reading man pages and learning how to be flexible and powerful with a minimal set of standard tools.

Absolutely understood. I am looking at Linux+ from PURELY a paper perspective. I agree with you entirely as I have spent far too much of my own time reading man pages and FAQs to get to where I am.

I guess it boils down to: Is it valuable enough to spend $200 and two hours to get the certification? Not whether or not the knowledge will do me any good.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
Well, I went through all the trouble of getting album art and tags for most of my MP3s in iTunes, and then switched to Linux (and Amarok). I thought I made iTunes save all my tags with the old "convert id3 thag" tirck, but apparently not. Is there any way to get Amarok to read my iTunes database, or do I have to do everything over again? And does Amarok actually change the tags, or just write everything to its database?

thenameseli
Sep 6, 2006

Sister Miyagi posted:

Well, I went through all the trouble of getting album art and tags for most of my MP3s in iTunes, and then switched to Linux (and Amarok). I thought I made iTunes save all my tags with the old "convert id3 thag" tirck, but apparently not. Is there any way to get Amarok to read my iTunes database, or do I have to do everything over again? And does Amarok actually change the tags, or just write everything to its database?

There are media players which do not read and use each individual file's ID3 tag? :psyduck: I cannot think of any conceivable reason that would be better, besides developer laziness. In any case, I installed Amarok and, (although I far prefer quodlibet), it writes all changed info to the ID3 tag, as it should.

I cannot help you with iTunes, since I have not really ever used it, but there must be a way to write everything to the file tags. I doubt Amarok can read this "iTunes database", although I could be wrong.

Album art is typically stored in a ./cover.jpg or similar file in the same directory as the files in the album. This works fine if you have your music in a sensible layout, and nearly all music players I have used pick up the file as cover art, but it does not seem to be the best solution technically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubblegum Wishes
May 22, 2007

teapot posted:

Evolution (it's installed by default, and works with the clock/calendar applet).

http://johnnyjacob.wordpress.com/2006/04/30/google-calendar-in-evolution/

What if I hate evolution and want something else?