Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Ununnilium posted:

I like how Redcloak is basically a Roy who hates humans.

Oh man, that sort of makes Xykon an Elan who hates humans. And they both have high Charisma, and they both kind of thoughtlessly waltz into things figuring that it'll work out... :derp:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?

Ununnilium posted:

Yeah, every team needs a competent straight man.

I wonder if he'd be content to live out the rest of his days there in Azure City if Xykon just up and left him for the next gate.

Also, after nearly getting destroyed, you'd think Xykon's confidence would be shaken enough that he wouldn't object too much to a little prep time before setting off again.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Vomax posted:

Yeah, every team needs a competent straight man.

I wonder if he'd be content to live out the rest of his days there in Azure City if Xykon just up and left him for the next gate.

Also, after nearly getting destroyed, you'd think Xykon's confidence would be shaken enough that he wouldn't object too much to a little prep time before setting off again.

A good arch-villain never loses, even if he dies!

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Ununnilium posted:

The Sapphire Guard killed his mother, Xyklon killed Roy's father...

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Zoolooman posted:

Hooray, new comic!

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0466.html
NOOOOO! Don't do it, Xykon. Haul rear end out of that worthless blue shithole and never come back. You had the right idea!

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I'm beginning to wonder if the last couple of major delays have arisen from a last-minute rewrite or two.

Apparently, one of the published OotS books claims that Miko's around for the long haul, but I really couldn't fault Burlew if he'd decided to kill her off permanently as a reaction to how loving insane she makes the readers.

The entire Azure City plotline, in fact, has been full of weird little in-jokes or side references that seem to have come directly from forum conversations, like the poisoned arrow or Tsukiko finding Miko's body.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

sakesniper posted:

How can Redcloak be so certain that Soon or anyone else with knowledge of the gates would be dumb enough to record the defenses of the other ones?

I mean, beyond the halfling bard (?) who was dumb enough to record their locations.

He can't be, but it's worth a shot. After all, having information about the gates would allow people to guard them more effectively. And they don't need that information to be written down; they can also interrogate prisoners or even corpses with spells such as Speak with dead.

Wanderer posted:

I'm beginning to wonder if the last couple of major delays have arisen from a last-minute rewrite or two.

Apparently, one of the published OotS books claims that Miko's around for the long haul, but I really couldn't fault Burlew if he'd decided to kill her off permanently as a reaction to how loving insane she makes the readers.

The entire Azure City plotline, in fact, has been full of weird little in-jokes or side references that seem to have come directly from forum conversations, like the poisoned arrow or Tsukiko finding Miko's body.

That seems a rather poor way of acting. After all, his audience encompasses a lot more people than just those that post at his forum; if he tries to customize it to target them, or just to screw with them, he might eventually alienate other more casual readers.

Zoolooman
Mar 30, 2003

Factor_VIII posted:

That seems a rather poor way of acting. After all, his audience encompasses a lot more people than just those that post at his forum; if he tries to customize it to target them, or just to screw with them, he might eventually alienate other more casual readers.

I think he chooses his reactions well. Plus, as this thread proved time and time again, Miko was stealing the spotlight in the worst possible way, and killing her off and making it permanent will do a lot to put this show back on its tracks.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
gently caress, we're still not done with Azure city. Now we get to see Hinjo get all emo about the loss of his city and order while dealing with the nobility. Looks like he is going to replace Roy or at least join the party.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

clockworkjoe posted:

gently caress, we're still not done with Azure city. Now we get to see Hinjo get all emo about the loss of his city and order while dealing with the nobility. Looks like he is going to replace Roy or at least join the party.
He's a paladin, right? Maybe he'll die attempting to singlehandedly take on the entire remaining Hobgoblin army. I've seen paladins do stupid things like that before.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

NorgLyle posted:

He's a paladin, right? Maybe he'll die attempting to singlehandedly take on the entire remaining Hobgoblin army. I've seen paladins do stupid things like that before.

Those are the "Lawful Stupid" Paladins, which Hinjo isn't. Miko, perhaps, would do something like that, but Hinjo? He's way too competent.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I could see Hinjo and O'chul joining the group, at least in the short term.

Ununnilium
Oct 23, 2006

An imperfect duplicate of love

Factor_VIII posted:

The thing is, he makes it funny anyway. Tsukiko's plot is such a fantasy cliche that it's hilarious when she goes "Nah, screw it", even if you don't know people have been predicting it.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Wanderer posted:

Well, if I'm not mistaken, Miko has been around for, what, near 300 strips now? Less if you disregard her days as "cloaked figure?" I would comfortably call that a long haul.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

SuperKlaus posted:

Well, if I'm not mistaken, Miko has been around for, what, near 300 strips now? Less if you disregard her days as "cloaked figure?" I would comfortably call that a long haul.

Now, I don't know this for myself, but people on the boards are claiming that one of the OotS books mentions that Miko will be around until the end of the strip. YMMV.

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma

Wanderer posted:

Now, I don't know this for myself, but people on the boards are claiming that one of the OotS books mentions that Miko will be around until the end of the strip. YMMV.
Yes, every dozen strips or so we'll get a panel or two showing her progressively-more-rotten corpse.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Robot Bastard posted:

Yes, every dozen strips or so we'll get a panel or two showing her progressively-more-rotten corpse.

Zombie Miko torso crawling around, biting people's ankles for the glory of Lord Xykon! :worship:

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT

Robot Bastard posted:

There's always the afterlife, and it's not as if celestial and undead folks can't come back.

Let's say Miko gets to LG heaven, and sees Roy waiting in line with her and flips out.

She decides that if this is what heaven is like, then she's not interested, and decides to head back to the prime material as a ghost or something similar.

There's a ton of ways for Miko to comeback, if the author feels like it.

evilsake
Oct 25, 2004

by Fragmaster
Roy's dad's newest afterlife girlfriend is going to be Miko you heard it here first folks

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma

NutShellBill posted:

Let's say Miko gets to LG heaven, and sees Roy waiting in line with her and flips out.
Heh...I've already done my speculation about "Miko and Roy meet in the afterlife"...

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Does anyone have any idea how exactly Parson hosed with the system in Erfworld?

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.

Parahexavoctal posted:

Does anyone have any idea how exactly Parson hosed with the system in Erfworld?

It appears the traditional way of engaging in combat is that on your turn, you send your forces in for an all-out attack. The means of "winning" or "losing" isn't clear, but at the end of the fight, your forces gain experience points with the potential to level (the leveling system isn't clear, given how it's not clear yet how cities, etc spawn troops.) I would hazard a guess that you still have to be engage in combat at the end of your turn to get exp.

Parson, on the other hand, had his troops withdrawing before the end of turn, which didn't gain him any exp but nonetheless hurt his foes. His troops won't level, but they're doing enough damage to even the odds. Since they're withdrawing on their turn, they can't be properly counterattacked by the forces of giant golem teddy bears, because they can't engage in widespread attacks until it's their turn.

That comic is so . . . odd.

Edit: Revised opinion: the giant golem teddy bear forces CAN counterattack, but not move to pursue Parson's forces. Thus Parson's little withdraws are all being listed as victories for the good guys, who took a while to put two and two together. So Parson isn't gaining exp, but he is doing them damage and not giving them a chance to injure him back.

TheFuzzyLumpkin fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jun 18, 2007

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

Edit: Revised opinion: the giant golem teddy bear forces CAN counterattack, but not move to pursue Parson's forces. Thus Parson's little withdraws are all being listed as victories for the good guys, who took a while to put two and two together. So Parson isn't gaining exp, but he is doing them damage and not giving them a chance to injure him back.
I think this was explained in one of the Klogs. The teddy bears can fight back if they're direclty attacked, but can't otherwise. The only things the dragons can be attacked by are other flying units and ranged units like bowmen, _and_ Parson's got it set up so nothing will ever get killed.

And the point of this exercise was to take out the collumn's seige equipment, so now they can't actually attack the city in any effective way, letting Parson pick them apart at leisure.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Additionally the siege towers apparently do not count as units as all that was 'croaked' was a single bat unit.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

sakesniper posted:

Roy's dad's newest afterlife girlfriend is going to be Miko you heard it here first folks

I would laugh so very, very hard if this were the case. It would be awesome.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Taerkar posted:

Additionally the siege towers apparently do not count as units as all that was 'croaked' was a single bat unit.
I think that's just the only battle he _won_, and it was against one bat. Everything else was carefully orchestrated to take out all the seige units and any targets of opportunity without losing any "dwagons" ( :doh: )

God, I wish he'd just drop all the cutsey poo poo and the lol internet refernces, becuase the underying plot is somewhat interesting, but HEY TEDDY BEARS THAT'S FUNNY RIGHT :downsrim:

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Taerkar posted:

The teddy bears in the seige columns were also destroyed (see the bottom half of this strip here). The bat was an independant unit (presumably) and was the only "victory" for Parson that turn. A column is a collection of units stationed together in the same "hex" (Parson calls this a "stack"). Parson destroyed the teddy bears and seige towers in each stack, but did not destroy the Marbit guys, who (I assume) have little to no seige ability.
If you have never played strategy boardgames, I imagine that all of this is pretty confusing.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Zereth posted:

I think that's just the only battle he _won_, and it was against one bat. Everything else was carefully orchestrated to take out all the seige units and any targets of opportunity without losing any "dwagons" ( :doh: )

God, I wish he'd just drop all the cutsey poo poo and the lol internet refernces, becuase the underying plot is somewhat interesting, but HEY TEDDY BEARS THAT'S FUNNY RIGHT :downsrim:

I still think that Erfworld would be irritating and too much effort to enjoy, in a sort of GPF way, but dropping all that would make it much better. The goofy references could be alright if they were few and far between, and reasonably done. OotS actually does this pretty well, when the characters break the fourth wall (kinda) to talk about game mechanics or acknowledge they're in a 'plot'. Erfworld just does it really badly, and uses horrible and outdated references anyway. As it is I only ever read a strip because someone mentions it in this thread, and then I want to punch him in the head.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

:hist101:
So basically, his troops attack, then run away from the fight before they can get counterattacked?

It sorta reminds me of a trick in Heroes of Might & Magic (oh how I love this game). Send a hero out with just a single weak troop to engage the enemy, but then just have them cast a damaging spell on the enemy's troops. Of course, you lose the 2500 gold you spent to hire the hero, but you can easily kill off more than 2500 gold worth of troops if the hero is armed with a good spell.

Edit: You know, now that I think about it, I'll bet the levelling system is just like the one in HoMM: The unit as a whole doesn't level, just the warlord. Stanley says as much.

I would enjoy Erfworld a lot more if it updated more often and moved through the plot at a quicker pace. I don't think that the cutesy names are ZOMG ROFL hilarious, but I don't know why everyone hates them. I think the comic would be more boring if Parson wasn't a huge geek and the troops were standard knights and dragons.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jun 19, 2007

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Davethulhu posted:

The teddy bears in the seige columns were also destroyed (see the bottom half of this strip here). The bat was an independant unit (presumably) and was the only "victory" for Parson that turn. A column is a collection of units stationed together in the same "hex" (Parson calls this a "stack"). Parson destroyed the teddy bears and seige towers in each stack, but did not destroy the Marbit guys, who (I assume) have little to no seige ability.
If you have never played strategy boardgames, I imagine that all of this is pretty confusing.

Ah, I suppose. Just read it a bit differently then.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ashcans posted:

I still think that Erfworld would be irritating and too much effort to enjoy, in a sort of GPF way, but dropping all that would make it much better. The goofy references could be alright if they were few and far between, and reasonably done. OotS actually does this pretty well, when the characters break the fourth wall (kinda) to talk about game mechanics or acknowledge they're in a 'plot'. Erfworld just does it really badly, and uses horrible and outdated references anyway. As it is I only ever read a strip because someone mentions it in this thread, and then I want to punch him in the head.
Yeah, it seems to be based off thigns like Heros of might and Magic, Age of Wonders, and Master of Magic, which I really like, so I can understand all the tactical stuff almost instnatly. (although, as I mentioned some ways back, the wya the world is set up seems rather... odd.)

Halloween Jack posted:

So basically, his troops attack, then run away from the fight before they can get counterattacked?
I don't think it's that, but that they're flying units which can't be attacked unless they attack first in most circumstances, so he's using that to take out all the seige equipment at little risk to his forces.

No seige equipment means that huge army outside the city walls are now useless. So until they build and transport more, which will take a long time, he can concentrate his resources on the guys trying to get in through the underground route.

Davethulhu posted:

A column is a collection of units stationed together in the same "hex" (Parson calls this a "stack").
I think the "column" is acutally a bunch of stacks along the road. A typical number of units per "stack" for this sort of game is 8 or 10, while he took out 50-odd seige weapons this turn.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0467.html

New strip is up.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Here's a waffleimages link for when the site inevitably goes down.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

I look forward to the Order under Haley's possible leadership. At least, I'm assuming she'll end up being leader for the semi-long-haul; Elan's much better as supporting, "Sure, sounds good" / Seeing-flaws-in-plans-like-only-an-idiot-can, type guy, Durkon appears on board, Vaarsuvius is...wherever, now, and Belkar's purest comic relief.

Although he is correct in stating that that man does make a fine roast chicken.

What I'd really like to see as a result of Haley taking the reins would be some side-questing for loot. It'd make sense for everyone else to hop on board, now that they know what they're up against in terms of Xykon and his army. Not just, "Oh, well we're on the way to ____ Gate, but these people need our help so we may as well stop," but straight-up "Let's go do this, investigate X, Y, Z" Elan-using-Lore stuff.

Or they'll resurrect Roy and it'll fall by the wayside. Either way.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Manyorcas posted:

Those are the "Lawful Stupid" Paladins, which Hinjo isn't. Miko, perhaps, would do something like that, but Hinjo? He's way too competent.

I suppose I wasn't entirely correct then. :sweatdrop:

Miko would have ended up going down fighting if she were in his boots though, no matter how many characters tried to reason with her.

I'll refrain from mentioning Miko again in the future, sorry.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Hinjo's still perfectly intelligent. He saw the sense in an opposing argument and changed his mind accordingly. It would naturally be hard for a guy who was all about his duty to forsake it, even if it's only for the short term.

Skeet Urchin
Jun 6, 2006

by Peatpot
he might also be thinking of all the nobles he might have to talk to soon. all raggin' on him for "abandoning" the city and implying they wouldn't have lost the battle.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Where'd Belkar's flaming, cringing skull go?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

FMguru posted:

Where'd Belkar's flaming, cringing skull go?

Haley probably made him throw it away before he had the chance to realize he could use it on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I'd forgotten all about V being separated from everyone else. I wonder if Burlew is going to keep him on his own for long... it might be interesting to see the Order that fractured for a while.