Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vorxnyx
Sep 4, 2002

they told me how to make this implant
they said it would make a better me of me

Archyduke posted:

I'd forgotten all about V being separated from everyone else. I wonder if Burlew is going to keep him on his own for long... it might be interesting to see the Order that fractured for a while.

He's a spellcaster. Chances are he'll just pop back in a strip or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
Judging by the way they're talking, it doesn't seem like bringing back Roy is even on the table. Which makes me sad, as he was my favorite character, but it is reasonable. They can't get his body, and where would they get the money even if they could?

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Vorxnyx posted:

He's a spellcaster. Chances are he'll just pop back in a strip or two.

Invisibility only lasts for a few minutes though. Considering that that was his last spell, I wonder how he'll manage to sneak by the Hongoblin army. Unless of course he has a few scrolls tucked away for emergencies.

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma
Belkar: "I am sick to death of the color blue!" Is that a shout-out to these forums? I recall exactly that sentence being posted here.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Robot Bastard posted:

Belkar: "I am sick to death of the color blue!" Is that a shout-out to these forums? I recall exactly that sentence being posted here.

No, I think he was just...sick to death of the color blue.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Robot Bastard posted:

Maybe ... he's a GOON!?!

Honestly, Belkar just said what we were all thinking. I doubt it's specific to BSS.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

UberJew posted:

Judging by the way they're talking, it doesn't seem like bringing back Roy is even on the table. Which makes me sad, as he was my favorite character, but it is reasonable. They can't get his body, and where would they get the money even if they could?

Why couldn't they get his body? The entieriety of the hobgoblin army is inside Azure City, and no one is really guarding or even near his corpse. I think its a straight shot between the Order and Roy, for the most part.

They probably assumed, however, that upon stopping Xykon and company they would be allowed to raise him with Azure City footing the hefty bill, but now that they are soundly defeated they don't have much in the way of limitless finances (ever since their treasure was blown up I've assumed they aren't exactly on the up and up, financially).

Of course, being unfamiliar with the details of Raise Undead, I have no idea if there's a time limit/etc.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Choke Babies Now posted:

Although he is correct in stating that that man does make a fine roast chicken.

I came here primarily to post about just how right Durkon is about the man's roast chicken. That was my favorite drat chicken place, then both of the outlets in my town closed at once. Stupid Kenny Rogers :mad:

Also, the question is, will the nobles' boats all be overrun and slaughtered for fun, or only show up to chastize poor Hinjo?

Wolfsheim posted:

Of course, being unfamiliar with the details of Raise Undead, I have no idea if there's a time limit/etc.

I am not sure if you were talking about raising the dead or creating undead here, but the basic "raise dead" has a limit of days per caster level, while the two higher level ones go years per level and maybe even "no time limit" at the highest. As for creating undead, I am pretty sure there is no limit on that, or at least I have never seen anyone play it with a limit.

Hentaikid
May 18, 2005

by Peatpot
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Roy basically the motivating force for them to be after Xykon in the first place? If they don't resurrect Roy they're not particularly motivated in any direction, unless Hinjo takes over as motivator.

Vorxnyx
Sep 4, 2002

Factor_VIII posted:

Invisibility only lasts for a few minutes though. Considering that that was his last spell, I wonder how he'll manage to sneak by the Hongoblin army. Unless of course he has a few scrolls tucked away for emergencies.

Yeah, but when spellcasters say they have "one spell left" what they mean is "one spell left and then a teleport spell when things go south."

Kramer
Aug 31, 2001

Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked in the head with an iron boot?

Vorxnyx posted:

Yeah, but when spellcasters say they have "one spell left" what they mean is "one spell left and then a teleport spell when things go south."

V can't cast teleport. It's Conjuration, his prohibited school.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0340.html

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT
Teleportation is in V's barred school: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0340.html

EDIT: I HATE YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Factor_VIII posted:

Invisibility lasts an hour per caster level. It should be plenty of time for V to get somewhere safe.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Schwarzwald posted:

Invisibility lasts an hour per caster level. It should be plenty of time for V to get somewhere safe.
Minute per level in 3.5 :argh:.

cell
Nov 25, 2003

The more Johnny the better.

Hentaikid posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Roy basically the motivating force for them to be after Xykon in the first place? If they don't resurrect Roy they're not particularly motivated in any direction, unless Hinjo takes over as motivator.

I don't know if that's the case any more, since they know about Snarl and the gates and all now.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Hentaikid posted:

I would assume that having Xykon kill Roy might give them some motivation to stick it to him later on. I mean, the OotS can be pretty disfunctional, but they all liked Roy. If anything, they seem to have a better reason now.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Ashcans posted:

I would assume that having Xykon kill Roy might give them some motivation to stick it to him later on. I mean, the OotS can be pretty disfunctional, but they all liked Roy. If anything, they seem to have a better reason now.

Except Belkar.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Wolfsheim posted:

Except Belkar.

Belkar was getting to like Roy at the end there!

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Ferrinus posted:

Belkar was getting to like Roy at the end there!

Yes, that's why he gambled Roy's life on a cheap bet with a complete stranger. He might have thought Roy was kinda cool, but he didn't have any emotional attachement to the guy or anything.

Kahrytes
Jun 4, 2004

Now I need a drink. Not this one. Another one. And in a different place.

tsob posted:

Yes, that's why he gambled Roy's life on a cheap bet with a complete stranger. He might have thought Roy was kinda cool, but he didn't have any emotional attachement to the guy or anything.

He can still use Roy as an excuse for indiscriminate slaughter.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
New Erfworld.

It appears that Stanley's reliance on uncroaked troopers is going to bite him in the rear end. Worse, it could screw up Parson's masterstroke.

Of course, I was never a big fan of Ender's Game type plans, anyway.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today
Yeah, but we don't know what else Parson did this turn (he killed the seige engines "for an opener," right?). My guess is his comment earlier about the Alliance having to deal with fog of war adding a new dimension to his plan means that he's set up a trap in the center hex.
Of course, whether that trap can deal with the Arkenpliers, which he probably doesn't know about, is another thing entierly.

Vorxnyx
Sep 4, 2002

Kramer posted:

V can't cast teleport. It's Conjuration, his prohibited school.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0340.html

Whoops, forgot that :shobon: I didn't remember that whole Transmutation/Conjuration clusterfuck. But yeah, Invisibility ought to get him out as long as he doesn't do anything stupid.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Kahrytes posted:

He can still use Roy as an excuse for indiscriminate slaughter.

Its much easier to get away with standing atop a pile of slaughtered hobgoblins (sidenote:that was the greatest Belkar, and possibly greatest overall moment in the entire comic) rather than slaughtered humans, and Roy does further this goal.

I think my love of Belkar comes from the fact that I've primarily played the stab-crazy, mood-breaking rear end in a top hat of more than a few tabletop games in my day v:shobon:v

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT

Halloween Jack posted:

New Erfworld.

It appears that Stanley's reliance on uncroaked troopers is going to bite him in the rear end. Worse, it could screw up Parson's masterstroke.

Of course, I was never a big fan of Ender's Game type plans, anyway.

Actually, I rather got the impression that the fact that the undead warlords weren't much for thinking was going to be the downfall of the attacking force.

Parson attacked with the long range dragons only, then brought them back to hide in the trees when they were hurt.

Anson's group is fairly certain that if they don't do something now, they'll lose their chance.

I'm fairly certain though, that Parson has hidden "B-movement" (aka lower movement) dragons in with his injured, banking on the low intel of his enemy, to lure them into a very big ambush. This is why he wanted to move at night, to cut down on the risk of detection.

The fact that the arkenpliers can take down undead is a minimal concern; all of the overlords in the dragon group are expendable, and the arkenhammer ensures that Stanley could order a full withdrawl if he needed to. Anson's welcome to engage dragons head on to get to them as well.

Add that to the fact that the attackers have to spend all of their movement to get to the ambush, and Parson is going to slaughter them, and have enough movement to get back within the city for a full heal.

The only wild card is whatshername. Jillian? Sounds right. She's an undepenable double agent it seems, and might just pull through in the clutch if cavalry is needed.

I've been reading this thing since the start, and I'm hoping that this is, at long last, a sign of life.

Skeet Urchin
Jun 6, 2006

by Peatpot
could we maybe talk about erfworld in its own thread, or in the main webcomics thread? it really doesn't have anything to do with oots aside from being hosted on the same site. I mean if no one else minds then whatever it's just my opinion you know v:shobon:v

evilsake
Oct 25, 2004

by Fragmaster

Occam posted:

could we maybe talk about erfworld in its own thread, or in the main webcomics thread? it really doesn't have anything to do with oots aside from being hosted on the same site. I mean if no one else minds then whatever it's just my opinion you know v:shobon:v

Also, it sucks.

TJO
Aug 14, 2006

I had a funny feeling in my gut.
Erfworld isn't that bad really. I don't think it's doing any harm having discussions here about it.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

TJO posted:

Erfworld isn't that bad really. I don't think it's doing any harm having discussions here about it.

It makes me not want to read this thread. :(

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma
Now it's my turn to say "dude it's just a webcomic, get over it".

Kramer
Aug 31, 2001

Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked in the head with an iron boot?

Occam posted:

I've been wanting to say pretty much the same thing for a while now. I didn't speak up because I thought nobody else cared.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Kramer posted:

I've been wanting to say pretty much the same thing for a while now. I didn't speak up because I thought nobody else cared.

I started reading it because of this thread. The thing is, Erfworld doesn't deserve it's own thread. It updates twice a week (if we're lucky) and still mvoes so slowly that, aside from the creepy lesbian bondage scene, hasn't even inspired any real discussion until now.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Soonmot posted:

I started reading it because of this thread. The thing is, Erfworld doesn't deserve it's own thread. It updates twice a week (if we're lucky) and still mvoes so slowly that, aside from the creepy lesbian bondage scene, hasn't even inspired any real discussion until now.
Pretty much. That, and it took 60-something pages to get interesting, and even then there's a chance of the writing grossly misfiring and sending us back to square one. I swear, every time he does something that renews my interest, he'll turn around and put in something retarded or creepy, like INTARWEB JOEK, or HAY GUYS LOOK LESBIANS.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
You guys get a billion pages of faggotry about D&D alignment, I get one or two pages about Erfworld. Deal. t:black101: t:hist101:

NutShellBill posted:

The fact that the arkenpliers can take down undead is a minimal concern; all of the overlords in the dragon group are expendable, and the arkenhammer ensures that Stanley could order a full withdrawl if he needed to. Anson's welcome to engage dragons head on to get to them as well.
What does the Arkenhammer do, exactly?

Dedekind
Sep 6, 2003

The blasphemer, uncontrite, must be punished mightily.

NutShellBill posted:

I'm fairly certain though, that Parson has hidden "B-movement" (aka lower movement) dragons in with his injured, banking on the low intel of his enemy, to lure them into a very big ambush. This is why he wanted to move at night, to cut down on the risk of detection.

Keep in mind when he wanted to move at night, he thought Ansom had perfect intel, just as they did. I think he wanted to move at night so that he wouldn't have to waste move getting the dragons into position, allowing him to withdraw them further.

Personally? I think that there's nothing in the centre of the circle -- the "A" group has retreated to another hex, well back of the B group. It's bait. Knowing that Ansom can't know what's in the centre until he breaks through the ring, Parson's using the lure of the chance to take out a bunch of badly-injured dwagons to get Ansom to commit all of his forest-based troops to an attack. They'll move into the centre of the circle, and then find themselves surrounded, with no move to retreat. In the next turn, Parson will decimate them, and then resume harassing the column -- but now, with no forest-based troops, Ansom will have no way to counter the attacks.

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

wake me when the world is saved
What if we split off a General RPG Comic Thread, including Erfworld and Goblins? I've wanted to post about Goblins a few times also. It'd probably be a slower-moving thread, but I'm okay with that.

The Wondersaurus
Jun 28, 2005
The Wondersaurus is probably extinct, like most dinosaurs

Halloween Jack posted:

What does the Arkenhammer do, exactly?

As far as I can tell, it just lets him make dwagons. And float.

Oh, and it has a one in 4 or 5 chance of turning walnuts into pigeons.

Stanley can order a full withdrawal because he has an excellent intelligence and communications network set up. However, he can only order that withdrawal while it is still his turn.

Besides, the strategy is probably going to turn out that the central hex is empty, the position was a red herring and Ansom wasted all his move for the turn, leaving him in a defensively weak position for the next morning.

Jeet
Jul 12, 2001

ZorbaTHut posted:

What if we split off a General RPG Comic Thread, including Erfworld and Goblins? I've wanted to post about Goblins a few times also. It'd probably be a slower-moving thread, but I'm okay with that.

because those 2 and oots are about is about it as far as D&D comics go?

if we can argue the minutae of D&D rules, we can discuss the other 2 comics on the drat site

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

The Wondersaurus posted:

Besides, the strategy is probably going to turn out that the central hex is empty, the position was a red herring and Ansom wasted all his move for the turn, leaving him in a defensively weak position for the next morning.
Based on Parson's plan, the central hex contains all of the "A" dragons, 19 of them, all wounded, plus the warlords. The surrounding hexes contain unwounded "B" dragons. If Parson has a trick planned, it's something that hasn't been shown yet

Also, I think the Arkenhammer doesn't let him make dragons, it lets him control them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I don't read Erfworld, but I quite like seeing it being discussed in here as I don't read the webcomic's thread and I'd like to know if they get good for a start, so that I can read them at that point. And secondly I just find the discussions about Erfworld, and the tactics employed interesting.