Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

supergabe
Jul 10, 2004

Chocolate Inspector
Easily the best film of 2002.

5/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoom
Jun 26, 2003
Keepin' It Gansta!
one of the best movies i've seen in a long time.

a masterpiece

5/5

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.
(But that doesn't make it so...)
The goddamn greatest movie I have ever seen, hands down. Enjoyable, artful, moving, and not pretentious.

Pourquoi
Apr 17, 2004
why?
so freaking good..

i dont know why my mom hate it i was like ITS SO GOOD KEEEP WATCHING

no no no boring sucks . blah blah.... whatever

ImDifferent
Sep 20, 2001
Just watched it on Netflix. A truly excellent film. The editing is a little MTV-esque, with occasional random speedups/freeze-frames, but it's not so overdone that it becomes a problem.

Yes, the film contains lots of violence, but it's not especially gory. The disturbing aspect stems more from the casual lack of regard for life exhibited by all involved. That, and the fact that the shooters/shootees are frequently little children.

5/5.5.

Edit: The offical "City of God" movie website currently has a banner ad offering the chance to win a trip to Rio. Haha.

ImDifferent fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Oct 9, 2004

NADZILLA
Dec 16, 2003
iron helps us play
A stunning film, visually but also in its simple, direct approach to narrative that manages to be profound without beating you in the face with some deep insight. I found the subtitles almost irrelevent because I could see what the characters were doing and figure out their motives simply by watching their actions. It never pussied out by letting characters off easy, and it never used a sensitive brushstroke to sugarcoat something as brutal as a child killing. It's a great movie made without comprimise. Everybody should see City of God.

Five.

butterypancakes
Aug 19, 2006

mmm pancakes
one of my favorites, creative direction, good characters and a great plot.
what else can you ask for?

5/5

Painkiller
Jan 30, 2005

You think the truth will set you free...
I saw this a few weeks ago. One of the most enjoyable movies I've seen. 5/5

lew742man
Aug 31, 2006
This is probably the best movie to come out in the last 10 years. Amazing directing, acting, cinematography, story etc. etc. There isn't one aspect that I disliked about this movie. I would recommend it to any and everyone who has an interest in movies. It's original, intriguing, and savagely beautiful.

Many of the actors came from the actual "City of God" and weren't "professional" actors. That adds to the intrigue as well

5/5 for sure

Agnar
Oct 3, 2005

I can't get enough of this movie. I have watched it over and over. I love it. I even decided to get into related works. Here is what I've found out:

If you liked City of God, you might like City of Men. It's a Brazilian TV show made by the producers of City of God, starring the actors who played Lil' Dice and Steak-n-Fries. City of Men offers an even more in-depth look at life in the Brazilian flavelas, but even beyond that it's just drat entertaining stuff.

City of God was based on a book by Paulo Lins. The English translation finally gets published at the end of this month! I've already pre-ordered it--and again--if you want to see an even more in-depth look at slum life, I suggest you pick it up.

JohnnyTower
Oct 7, 2005

"Are you gonna bark all day little doggy, or are you gonna bite?"
I just watched this last night, and was absolutely blown away. The movie, in my opinion is absolutely perfect in every way. This is the only other movie I've seen that was just as flawless and original as Pulp Fiction.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Just finally watched this after having the stupid NetFlix envelope on my kitchen counter for three weeks. I feel so stupid now.

It's been a while since I was this compelled by a movie. It deserves all of its accolades for finding green actors from the place in question, its expert camera work (my personal favorite being after steak-n-fries shoots one of the Runts, the camera pulls in over his shoulder to show an out-of-focus slumped over body, and looks like it will rack-focus to show us the dirty deed, but instead we see just a blurry form, as if the director is chastising us for our bloodlust.

I rank it up with the greats of crime movies, 5/5, probably in my top 25 movies ever.

Starry001
Jun 30, 2007
I found this one night channel surfing and was hooked. Before then i had never heard of it. I want to start getting into the television series

4.5/5

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Awesome movie. As already said some parts were almost too heavy to watch.

I 'heard' that the actors weren't really actors but locals from the city. I also 'heard' that the whole story and the way the city was portrayed was actually pretty much spot-on.

Gudas
May 22, 2003
A bit of a shout.

Pourquoi posted:

so freaking good..

i dont know why my mom hate it i was like ITS SO GOOD KEEEP WATCHING

no no no boring sucks . blah blah.... whatever

I came here to post the same thing. I even told her how amazing the cinematography was, and since I'm really into that poo poo, I thought she would atleast stick around for about 5 minutes of the movie.
But no.
For some reason this movie just doesn't appeal to the older crowd, but I have yet to meet a young person who does not like it. It's simply a must-see.
And also, I think when I first watched it a long time ago, I was surprised to know that it's based on real events. It was my first "Holy poo poo, people live like that, really?" experience. A good and a bad thing.
All in all, amazing aesthetically, very interesting, bloody and gloomy but actually fun to watch, and moving.
5/5

StupidFatHobbit
Jan 15, 2004
Incredibly good movie, easily the best foreign film I've ever seen.

WE NEED TO BE ABLE TO RATE MOVIES 5.5 AGAIN FOR ONES LIKE THIS DAMNIT

5(.5)!

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
I downloaded this last night and watched it today.

It's the best film I've seen, without a doubt. Breathtaking cinematography and the acting is 100% believable. No Keuano-ing here at all.

If you haven't seen this film, do so now.

5/5

Basket of Kittens
Feb 22, 2008

Across the Rio Grande
Pretty amazing, the best part was the meaningful surprise twist at the end. The fact that the son of one of the many "extras" killed by the gang eventually ends up being motivated to kill Ned subverts the typical idea that the death of bystanders, red-shirts and henchmen have no impact to the story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This is the first Brazilian movie I watched that I enjoyed. It's also the first that depicts life in the slums, as well as some of the characters you find, in a realistic and not stylized way. Since then many other good Brazilian movies came out but I don't think any is like this.

And 15 years late, but better late than never: Yes, the scenes in this movie are all good reflections of reality. By 2004 (when I registered) I had just managed to get out of similar situations. No scene in this movie was uncommon enough that you wouldn't have seen, depending on where you lived.

5/5