Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

All I can say is, now that was a Tumble check.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Schwarzwald posted:

Wait a minute. Belkar clearly states that there are 22 hobgoblins, but Haley manages to kill 24. :colbert:

I'm only counting 22 as well.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Zoolooman posted:

Unsurprisingly, he remained in darkness the entire time. I think this eliminates him as a part of the Snarl, however. He is something very scary that used to be happy living in a jungle.

Although, the setting they find him in may be a red herring, since the hunter says "I never expected to find one of these in this part of the world." Plus, that line suggests the hunter is at least aware of the species, yes is suprised to find it can talk. My guess is it's something from one of the monster manuals that Rich gave increased intelligence (relatively speaking, since 3 is the minimum for speech I believe, and it certainly isn't pushing double digits on that stat) so it can talk.

Jeet
Jul 12, 2001

Zoolooman posted:

Unsurprisingly, he remained in darkness the entire time. I think this eliminates him as a part of the Snarl, however. He is something very scary that used to be happy living in a jungle.

At this point I dont care about the thing in darkness and whatever it turns out to be will be an utter let down. Its just been dragged out too far.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Taerkar posted:

I'm only counting 22 as well.

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

wake me when the world is saved

Brannock posted:

I believe 23 and 24 are the same hobgoblin. However, you also missed one on panel 5 - there's a third that she's shooting. So I agree with 24, but I think you've got a mistake or two. :)

I feel like an unbelievable geek right now.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I'm starting to feel bad for the gobs now. :(

Though I guess I really shouldn't, if what that one hobgoblin said is to be believed then even after all the city defenders' tactics and planning they still took roughly 1-1 casualties.

Noonsaliwah
Sep 5, 2006
Shizne

ZorbaTHut posted:

I believe 23 and 24 are the same hobgoblin. However, you also missed one on panel 5 - there's a third that she's shooting. So I agree with 24, but I think you've got a mistake or two. :)

I feel like an unbelievable geek right now.

There are 10 hobgoblins walking to her (14-23), and 10 crushed to death in the next panel- with another one living. I don't know where that eleventh one came from, but he's definately a number 24.

Counting the missed one, that makes 25 hobgoblins altogether.

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

Noonsaliwah posted:

There are 10 hobgoblins walking to her (14-23), and 10 crushed to death in the next panel- with another one living. I don't know where that eleventh one came from, but he's definately a number 24.

Counting the missed one, that makes 25 hobgoblins altogether.

Hey, you're right.

I'm guessing there's one standing behind the piece of rubble - there's easily enough space there for a hobgoblin, and in fact, originally I was assuming there was another one there.

25 it is.

Sick_Boy
Jun 3, 2007

The reason Milton wrote in fetters when he wrote of Angels and God, and at liberty when of Devils and Hell, is because he was a true poet and of the Devil's party without knowing it.
Up, up, the new strip is up

evilsake
Oct 25, 2004

by Fragmaster
Come to think of it, Gerald Ford would've made a pretty good bard.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
New Erfworld is up, unless that hurts anyone's feelings.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Halloween Jack posted:

New Erfworld is up, unless that hurts anyone's feelings.
Haha, Ansom got pranked hardcore. The rest of the enemy column should be easy meat for the next turn or so. Then again, Stanley is batshit psycho about collecting Arkentools, and is probably going to flip out and order Parson to tighten the noose to grab the Arkenpliers.

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma

Tupperwarez posted:

Haha, Ansom got pranked hardcore. The rest of the enemy column should be easy meat for the next turn or so. Then again, Stanley is batshit psycho about collecting Arkentools, and is probably going to flip out and order Parson to tighten the noose to grab the Arkenpliers.
Ansom is currently in range of five hexes full of Dragons, plus whatever else Parson has snuck into the area while Ansom was dicking around in the woods. And, from what I can see, Ansom and Vinnie are the only big wheels in that particular stack; Ansom is going down, or at least about to be severly mauled.

Sock
Oct 8, 2001
Do me. Do me.

Robot Bastard posted:

Ansom is currently in range of five hexes full of Dragons, plus whatever else Parson has snuck into the area while Ansom was dicking around in the woods. And, from what I can see, Ansom and Vinnie are the only big wheels in that particular stack; Ansom is going down, or at least about to be severly mauled.

Ansom's probably going to be okay, I doubt they'd let a villain die that easily. We don't even know what his arkentool does. They do look like they're going to get a beating though.

The Wondersaurus
Jun 28, 2005
The Wondersaurus is probably extinct, like most dinosaurs
I so called that. I'm not sure if that means I'm a genius or if it means Rob Balder needs to go back to writing school.

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma

The Wondersaurus posted:

I so called that. I'm not sure if that means I'm a genius or if it means Rob Balder needs to go back to writing school.
Pretty much anything that could have happened was "called" at some point.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Robot Bastard posted:

Pretty much anything that could have happened was "called" at some point.

Happy that the elves didn't "fire" their bows, by the way? I thought that would get a few smiles from this crowd.

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma

SuperKlaus posted:

Happy that the elves didn't "fire" their bows, by the way? I thought that would get a few smiles from this crowd.
I think the next panel, with all the elves yelling 'woot!', kind of made up for it.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Robot Bastard posted:

I think the next panel, with all the elves yelling 'woot!', kind of made up for it.

I'd actually closed this tab before what you said fully hit me. I opened a new tab, opened the thread back up, and clicked the link to confirm what you said.

This is one of the shittiest comics of all time. Why do you people read this?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

bgaesop posted:

I'd actually closed this tab before what you said fully hit me. I opened a new tab, opened the thread back up, and clicked the link to confirm what you said.

There are D&D comics, there are D&D derivative comics, there are FPS-derivative comics, but to my knowledge there is exactly one strategy-derivative comic.

The world's interesting enough that I can forgive the story being told in it.

Dedekind
Sep 6, 2003

The blasphemer, uncontrite, must be punished mightily.

The Wondersaurus posted:

That's not really fair to Balder. Larry Niven once wrote that the art of writing good detective stories was to see that the reader should guess the ending, but doesn't. All the clues and information necessary to solve the mystery have to made available to the reader as they're made available to the detective, but only the detective should be able to put them together.

Balder's writing a military tactics story, but the same rules apply. He's got two additional constraints, though. One is that he's having to teach the rules of the story/game explicitly, which makes it much harder to sneak thing by. And the second is that, fundamentally, tactics are a lot more straightforward than the character interactions of crime fiction. There's nothing he can or should do about the latter: the premise of the comic is that Parson is a tactical genius, and battles start getting won by non-military strategies, then Balder's losing focus.

He's got a big problem with the first issue, however. The intelligence incident is a good example. Both Parson and the reader had enough information to figure out that Ansom's intel was inferior to Stanley's -- we'd seen the hat in play, we'd seen the Lookamancers, and we know Parson knew about the hat. But Balder went out of his way to make sure we knew the difference between the sides, and in doing so, let the reader know, "Hey, we're going to see Ansom's side get some intel, and guess what? that intel will be MISLEADING." If Parson hadn't shouted, "They can't see us!", if he'd kept quiet or just said, "This makes my plan better," then it wouldn't have been obvious what was going to happen.

Anyway. There's a few things that could happen at this point, but for storytelling purposes, the most likely is that Ansom and the Arkenpliers get captured. Stanley was on the verge of disbanding Parson, and an overwhelming victory is the thing most likely to dissuade him. Stanley gets another Arkentool, the invading army retreats (probably in return for having Ansom and Vinnie ransomed back), Parson is the official Warlord, prologue ends, and chapter one starts.

bgaesop posted:

Because I like strategy and tactics. The dressing is irritating, but so far the tactics part of the story is pretty solid.

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

bgaesop posted:

This is one of the shittiest comics of all time.

Dude, you read the Webcomics Megathread, right? What you're saying is not even close to true - I'd agree it's got some really unfortunate parts, but claiming it's remotely on the same level as the Hall of Shame entries?

I mean, it's not. It's quite a bit better than those, and I'd argue that it's quite a bit better than the average, even with the leetspeak. (Consider how bad the average is, after all.)

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I sort of agree. I think all the animosity towards it stems from the fact that its hosted right alongside OotS, which is a much, much better comic. If Erfworld was just out there existing on its own site, I probably wouldn't feel as irritated about its little quirks.

Then again, I probably wouldn't read it much at all. But hey, there are a handful of webcomics that I read sporadically to rarely, and a lot of them are, to be fair, a lot worse than Erfworld (Questionable Content, Girls With Slingshots, etc.).

I think that the strip is certainly helped by being on Burlew's web-site simply in terms of building a reader base and getting exposure, but its also, at this point, kind of in OotS' shadow. If it moved off to its own site sometime I think it could still carve out a little niche for itself, based on the responses and interest its generated in this thread alone.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
So, I finally got and read Start of Darkness, and Xykon is a dick. Like, he's seriously the biggest rear end in a top hat in the world. You guys don't even know.

That book puts a lot of his and Redcloak's interactions in a new light.

Skeet Urchin
Jun 6, 2006

by Peatpot

Archyduke posted:

I sort of agree. I think all the animosity towards it stems from the fact that its hosted right alongside OotS, which is a much, much better comic. If Erfworld was just out there existing on its own site, I probably wouldn't feel as irritated about its little quirks.

If it moved off to its own site sometime I think it could still carve out a little niche for itself, based on the responses and interest its generated in this thread alone.

if it were on its own site we also wouldn't be talking about it in this thread though v:shobon:v

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I actually hate Erfworld a lot more because it isn't completely lovely. I mean when some poor retard with zero writing ability or artistic talent is vomiting up his own webcomic monstrosity, its sort of hard to even care about it. Ok it might be horrific, but he's a talentless hack so its not like you can be disappointed or surprised. Erfworld seems like it has enough talent and skill behind it that it could be a pretty good comic if it got its act together, but it keeps making GBS threads itself up.

Its like having a friend who is smart and talented but keeps failing classes and gets a job at Blockbuster because he can't get his poo poo together. You get irritated at him, not with the downs guy who is trying to master shoelaces. Thats all he can do.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Archyduke posted:

Then again, I probably wouldn't read it much at all. But hey, there are a handful of webcomics that I read sporadically to rarely, and a lot of them are, to be fair, a lot worse than Erfworld (Questionable Content, Girls With Slingshots, etc.).

I think that the strip is certainly helped by being on Burlew's web-site simply in terms of building a reader base and getting exposure, but its also, at this point, kind of in OotS' shadow. If it moved off to its own site sometime I think it could still carve out a little niche for itself, based on the responses and interest its generated in this thread alone.
If it weren't for the discussion in this thread, then I'd have never bothered reading any of it at all, so I guess I know who to blame. :)

However I don't think that it deserves that exposure, as I find it to be pretty bad. There are certainly worse webcomics out there, but that doesn't say much since abominations made by people that have deluded themselves into thinking they're artists are quite plentiful on the web. And saying that it isn't the worst webcomic isn't much of a defense, since that doesn't imply it's worth reading. Personally I think it isn't; from what I had read of it the plot was predictable, the attempts at drawing interest in the comic, e.g. lesbian S&M, were clumsy and unfunny and the Internet catchphrases (An owl that says o rly? Where does this man get his material?) are both tired and stupid. And let's not forget that there were strips that were mere infodumps, which indicate an inability on the part of the author to present the relevant information within the story, and the stupid cutesy names. Erfworld might not be the worst webcomic, but it's certainly a bad one.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Factor_VIII posted:

If it weren't for the discussion in this thread, then I'd have never bothered reading any of it at all, so I guess I know who to blame. :)

However I don't think that it deserves that exposure, as I find it to be pretty bad. There are certainly worse webcomics out there, but that doesn't say much since abominations made by people that have deluded themselves into thinking they're artists are quite plentiful on the web. And saying that it isn't the worst webcomic isn't much of a defense, since that doesn't imply it's worth reading. Personally I think it isn't; from what I had read of it the plot was predictable, the attempts at drawing interest in the comic, e.g. lesbian S&M, were clumsy and unfunny and the Internet catchphrases (An owl that says o rly? Where does this man get his material?) are both tired and stupid. And let's not forget that there were strips that were mere infodumps, which indicate an inability on the part of the author to present the relevant information within the story, and the stupid cutesy names. Erfworld might not be the worst webcomic, but it's certainly a bad one.

The info dump strips were bonus comics. I also think I was one of the only people to... enjoy would be too strong a word, maybe appreciate, the info dumps. There's a decent comic hiding in there somewhere, but it moves at such a glacial pace and the loving internet poo poo popping up in almost every strip just makes me groan.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
Guys, we need to stop making GBS threads up this thread with Erfworld discussion, so we can get back to arguing over D&D rules minutiae or whether Haley killed 23, 24, or 25 hobgoblins.

Anyway, I still really hope Doombats doesn't get croaked, and btw, those treant things are loving creepy. "Uhuhuhuhuh!" :haw: (neck snap)

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Halloween Jack posted:

those treant things are loving creepy. "Uhuhuhuhuh!" :haw: (neck snap)
"Hey Beavis, check this out!" *snap* :haw:
"Heh heh eheh, cool!"
"Uhhh huhuhuhuh!" :downs:

MartialHeart
Oct 11, 2005
So what's the deal with updates? Has he fallen out of step and is now updating just 3 times a week whenever he feels like it, or is there some underlying method to his madness?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
He had, I quote, "sort of a health flare-up this weekend" so his schedule is all screwed up.

Choppable
Mar 18, 2004

New strip is up.
Also thanks for this thread. I never would have found OotS without it.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Cecotroph posted:

New strip is up.
Also thanks for this thread. I never would have found OotS without it.

New strip is loving weak.

Weak, but still better than Erfworld.

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn
Yeah that was really stupid. I don't care about (formerly) no-name soldiers from Azure City...show me Roy god dammit! What the gently caress is going on with Roy!?

I really hate obvious filler strips.

Seluin
Jan 4, 2004

Pssh, you guys are cranky-pants. I liked this strip :shobon:

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Seluin posted:

Pssh, you guys are cranky-pants. I liked this strip :shobon:

I sort of like the soldiers! Now that all the other soldiers are dead, their character designs aren't even generic any more! :v:

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Cyon posted:

He had, I quote, "sort of a health flare-up this weekend" so his schedule is all screwed up.

I've never seen someone who gets sick as often as this guy does. Guess he shouldn't have used CON as his dump stat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoolooman
Mar 30, 2003

Rincewind posted:

I sort of like the soldiers! Now that all the other soldiers are dead, their character designs aren't even generic any more! :v:

I thought it was a good joke about genre conventions. It's really an Elan strip, if you think about it.