Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JoeNotCharles
Mar 3, 2005

Yet beyond each tree there are only more trees.

crazysim posted:

Why not go the full length and use NTFS? Windows, Linux (NTFS-3G), MacOS (NTFS-3G with MacFUSE) . Read and write on all!

I guess I've just been seeing "NTFS write support is disabled by default and is EXPERIMENTAL" in the kernel options for so long that I still don't fully believe it's safe...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

JoeNotCharles posted:

I guess I've just been seeing "NTFS write support is disabled by default and is EXPERIMENTAL" in the kernel options for so long that I still don't fully believe it's safe...

If it makes you feel a little better.

http://www.ntfs-3g.org/ posted:

The driver is in STABLE status since February 2007, after twelve years of development. Please see our test methods and testimonials on the driver quality page.

It works fine for me in OS X!

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

crazysim posted:

I've now done it on 2 computers and my friend has also installed it (in all cases, uses the 'one-click option in Automatix2). It's worked absolutely flawlessly for both of us. I'm really really impressed.

Michael Carnage
Nov 7, 2004

To find the light you must embrace the darkness.
For some reason ktorrent on Kubuntu 7.04 keeps crashing randomly it'll run for upwards of 12 hours plus then bam crash. KDE says its getting a SIGSEGV here's the backtrace

code:
(no debugging symbols found)
Using host libthread_db library "/lib/tls/i686/cmov/libthread_db.so.1".
(no debugging symbols found) [b]<- that is repeated a bunch of times[/b]
[Thread debugging using libthread_db enabled]
[New Thread -1235970352 (LWP 24661)]
[New Thread -1250624624 (LWP 24673)]
(no debugging symbols found) [b]<- that is repeated a bunch of times[/b]
[KCrash handler]
#6  0xb7da4bcb in dht::ParseRsp () from /usr/lib/libktorrent-2.1.so
#7  0xb7da4df2 in dht::MakeRPCMsg () from /usr/lib/libktorrent-2.1.so
#8  0xb7d99f51 in dht::RPCServer::readPacket ()
   from /usr/lib/libktorrent-2.1.so
#9  0xb7d9a252 in dht::RPCServer::qt_invoke ()
   from /usr/lib/libktorrent-2.1.so
#10 0xb6dde88b in QObject::activate_signal () from /usr/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
#11 0xb6ddf330 in QObject::activate_signal () from /usr/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
#12 0xb756804c in KNetwork::KClientSocketBase::readyRead ()
   from /usr/lib/libkdecore.so.4
#13 0xb7568086 in KNetwork::KClientSocketBase::slotReadActivity ()
#14 0xb757a143 in KNetwork::KClientSocketBase::qt_invoke ()
#15 0xb757a1e6 in KNetwork::KDatagramSocket::qt_invoke ()
#16 0xb6dde88b in QObject::activate_signal () from /usr/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
#17 0xb6ddf1a2 in QObject::activate_signal () from /usr/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
#18 0xb716b877 in QSocketNotifier::activated () from /usr/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
#19 0xb6e0144a in QSocketNotifier::event () from /usr/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
#20 0xb6d75a60 in QApplication::internalNotify () from /usr/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
#21 0xb6d7788f in QApplication::notify () from /usr/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
#22 0xb7539ce2 in KApplication::notify () from /usr/lib/libkdecore.so.4
#23 0xb6d081e9 in QApplication::sendEvent () from /usr/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
#24 0xb6d67e59 in QEventLoop::activateSocketNotifiers ()
   from /usr/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
#25 0xb6d1cd07 in QEventLoop::processEvents () from /usr/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
#26 0xb6d90136 in QEventLoop::enterLoop () from /usr/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
#27 0xb6d8ff46 in QEventLoop::exec () from /usr/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
#28 0xb6d77609 in QApplication::exec () from /usr/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
#29 0x080653d6 in ?? ()
#30 0xb658febc in __libc_start_main () from /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6
#31 0x08064ec1 in ?? ()
Does anyone know how I can fix this? I really like ktorrent and would like to keep using it.

GeneralZod
May 28, 2003

Kneel before Zod!
Grimey Drawer

Sexy Slippers posted:

Does anyone know how I can fix this? I really like ktorrent and would like to keep using it.

Install the latest version and see if that fixes it. If not, either file a bug report or ask the devs at http://ktorrent.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=1

Edit:

There might be something useful here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=420118&highlight=ParseRsp

Edit2:

Even better:

http://ktorrent.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1539

tl;dr - either upgrade, or disable dht as a workaround.

GeneralZod fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 13, 2007

smug forum asshole
Jan 15, 2005
Is there a way to make an animated gif from a segment of a movie file (avi, mpg, etc) in linux? I don't mind complex command line stuff, if that helps at all.

Michael Carnage
Nov 7, 2004

To find the light you must embrace the darkness.

GeneralZod posted:

tl;dr - either upgrade, or disable dht as a workaround.

Awesome thanks for the help I just upgraded.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

crazysim posted:

Those are two different drivers. NTFS-3G on both OSX and Linux is stable, and works through FUSE (filesystem in userspace). Direct NTFS support in Linux kernel is an old driver that is still only usable in read-only mode.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Noah posted:

Is there a way to make an animated gif from a segment of a movie file (avi, mpg, etc) in linux? I don't mind complex command line stuff, if that helps at all.
mplayer can output gifs as one of "output devices" (-vo gif89a).

JoeNotCharles
Mar 3, 2005

teapot posted:

Those are two different drivers. NTFS-3G on both OSX and Linux is stable, and works through FUSE (filesystem in userspace). Direct NTFS support in Linux kernel is an old driver that is still only usable in read-only mode.

Too lazy to look this up right now - can I format a filesystem to NTFS with NTFS-3G, or do I need Windows for that? I've got some old disks lying around that I'm thinking of throwing in a USB enclosure and turning my roommate's Mac into a file server, and I figure I might as well keep it Windows-compatible for when friends bring laptops over.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

JoeNotCharles posted:

Too lazy to look this up right now - can I format a filesystem to NTFS with NTFS-3G, or do I need Windows for that? I've got some old disks lying around that I'm thinking of throwing in a USB enclosure and turning my roommate's Mac into a file server, and I figure I might as well keep it Windows-compatible for when friends bring laptops over.

With samba, every filesystem is Windows/Mac/Linux compatible. That's how I ended up going when I wanted to do something similar.

JoeNotCharles
Mar 3, 2005

sund posted:

With samba, every filesystem is Windows/Mac/Linux compatible. That's how I ended up going when I wanted to do something similar.

So I can plug a USB drive into a Windows machine, no matter what filesystem is on it, and... mount it through Samba? What?

I know technically all I need is a Mac-readable filesystem, but what if the Mac breaks down (it's a G3, pretty old) or my entire network goes down or something? I'm just looking for flexibility.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Noah posted:

Compiz Fusion runs pretty well for me. Did you fully remove compiz before you installed Compiz Fusion?
No, that's what caused problems with the mouse click. The old settings for the Zoom Desktop plugin made said plugin to gobble up the mouse events. Configuration was because I was telling Compiz to start with the wrong plugin (gconf instead of ccp).

Everything works fine now. Under Solaris no less. I love the Expo plugin.

Laconicus
Sep 13, 2003

marcan posted:

The best thing to do in these cases is a test with dummy data. I've created two random data files, set them up as loopback devices, RAIDed them (linear mode, no superblocks), and dumped the RAID device out to a file. The resulting file is identical to "cat data1 data2", so it should work for you.

Here's the mdadm command to set up the array (substitute your own device files):
code:
mdadm --build /dev/md0 -c 4 -l linear -n 2 /dev/loop0 /dev/loop1
This doesn't touch the hard drives. Mount the result read-only (you're probably doing that already, since it's NTFS). If anything goes wrong, you can simply tear apart the array and start over - no data should have changed.

EDIT: You mentioned the first drive has a partition table. You'll need to set up your RAID devices as partitionable then:
code:
mdadm --build /dev/mdp0 -a p -c 4 -l linear -n 2 /dev/loop0 /dev/loop1
You'll get your first partition in /dev/mdp0p1.

This was semi-successful - it created the /dev/md0 device fine but didn't seem to take any notice of the partition table, resulting in no /dev/md0pX devices being created, and hence I was unable to mount the drive.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
I'll tell you what, after using wmii as my window manager for over a week now, I love it. Not having window borders or windows to drag around enables me to focus on content instead of aesthetics. I love it.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

JoeNotCharles posted:

So I can plug a USB drive into a Windows machine, no matter what filesystem is on it, and... mount it through Samba? What?

I know technically all I need is a Mac-readable filesystem, but what if the Mac breaks down (it's a G3, pretty old) or my entire network goes down or something? I'm just looking for flexibility.

Share it via samba from one of your computers and everyone can use it over the network simultaneously and without swapping USB cables.

Al Azif
Nov 1, 2006

JoeNotCharles posted:

Too lazy to look this up right now - can I format a filesystem to NTFS with NTFS-3G, or do I need Windows for that?

There's a package called ntfsprogs that has mkfs.ntfs.

skroll posted:

I'll tell you what, after using wmii as my window manager for over a week now, I love it. Not having window borders or windows to drag around enables me to focus on content instead of aesthetics. I love it.

A window manager that actually manages windows, what a concept! I just wish ruby-wmii supported wmii-3.6.

Al Azif fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 14, 2007

marcan
Sep 3, 2006
(:(){ :|:;};:)

Laconicus posted:

This was semi-successful - it created the /dev/md0 device fine but didn't seem to take any notice of the partition table, resulting in no /dev/md0pX devices being created, and hence I was unable to mount the drive.

Try naming it /dev/mdp0, and make sure you use -a p when building the array with mdadm. Partitions will be named /dev/mdp0pX

Also, you need to have kernel 2.6 to get partitionable arrays.

marcan fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jul 14, 2007

Laconicus
Sep 13, 2003

marcan posted:

Try naming it /dev/mdp0, and make sure you use -a p when building the array with mdadm. Partitions will be named /dev/mdp0pX

Also, you need to have kernel 2.6 to get partitionable arrays.

I typed the command exactly as given first time around, and it rejected the "mdp0" (couldn't create device or words to that effect), removing the "p" and it worked. (I'm using SLAX 5.1.8).

I also tried all the other "-a XXX" partitionable variants (XXX = "p","mdp","part"), but none of them made the partition available. Even tried partprobe, but it complained that it was "unable to notify the kernel" that the new partition was available.

I think I may just buy a new external drive and byte-by-byte copy everything over.

Washuu-Chan
Apr 17, 2003

Washuu-Sama to Oyobi!
I have a question regarding some subtle differences in networking code between kernel 2.6 and 2.4 (or possibly 2.2) :

Right now, I'm dealing with the source code for Dynamics Mobile IP suite, and I ran into a problem that Foreign Agent seems to receive requests from Mobile Node, but it looks like they are not processed at all.

Quick investigation revealed some really crazy stuff (it is just for better explanation, you can skip the following segment and go to the actual question):

---
FA is supposed to accept requests on UDP port 434, but for some purpose (apparently to prevent time-consuming ARPs when making a reply), they instead seem to capture and send raw IP packets by default.

Now if you look at the main loop, they poll both packet socket and the normal UDP socket, however, in the handler for raw packets, the packets are just checked that they are indeed UDP and port 434, and then payload is stored, apparently for further processing.

Actual processing is done in the handler for UDP packets. It looks like the RAW IP packet is captured and the payload is stored, then the same packet is received again, this time via normal UDP socket, matching record is located and then request is processed. :psyduck:

My assumption is that every received packet should trigger both raw and UDP handler. In case packet socket is disabled (there's a config option for this, alas it does nothing), only UDP handler would be called, where L2 info is lost, so probably it leads to some defficiencies etc.

The problem is, UDP socket is never flagged as readable by select(), so packets captured from packet socket are left unprocessed. Dynamics MIP is quite old as you have may noticed and was written in the times of kernel 2.2, therefore my question is :
---

Could it be that there some change occured between kernel 2.2 and 2.4 (or maybe between 2.4 and 2.6), that previously, every single packet was sent to both RAW and UDP sockets, and now it doesn't, i.e. packet socket "steals" all packets for itself? Does anyone knows if this behavior is configurable somewhere?

The code itself won't be a problem, I think I will make a workaround, so packets are processed from RAW IP handler instead of storing them, but it would be nice if I could accomplish it in a most non-invasive way.

Washuu-Chan fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jul 15, 2007

brent78
Jun 23, 2004

I killed your cat, you druggie bitch.
I have a bonded interface (bond0) on my redhat box. I want to increase the MTU to 9000. Do I just have to change it on bond0, or do I need to set it on the individual interfaces (eth0, eth1) ?

JoeNotCharles
Mar 3, 2005

sund posted:

Share it via samba from one of your computers and everyone can use it over the network simultaneously and without swapping USB cables.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

JoeNotCharles posted:

Yeah yeah, NTFS through fuse should be good. I was just making sure the most convenient day-to-day use option was out there.

bobthenameless
Jun 20, 2005

So I'm trying to get dual monitors to work in Ubuntu 7.04, and it's being a huge pain. It's a fresh install, and all I've done is update the nvidia drivers with their program which is supposed to generate a working xorg.conf file (http://pastey.net/70881). However, whenever ubuntu boots up I can hear the startup sound, but both monitors act as if they have no signal. If I change the driver from nvidia -> nv it works fine, but dual monitors isn't working with that either. I'm using a Geforce 6800 with DVI -> LCD and VGA -> CRT.

This is really frustrating, as with ubuntu 6.10 it was really simple for me to get this set up going :(

Any help is appreciated :)

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

bobthenameless posted:

So I'm trying to get dual monitors to work in Ubuntu 7.04, and it's being a huge pain. It's a fresh install, and all I've done is update the nvidia drivers with their program which is supposed to generate a working xorg.conf file (http://pastey.net/70881). However, whenever ubuntu boots up I can hear the startup sound, but both monitors act as if they have no signal. If I change the driver from nvidia -> nv it works fine, but dual monitors isn't working with that either. I'm using a Geforce 6800 with DVI -> LCD and VGA -> CRT.

This is really frustrating, as with ubuntu 6.10 it was really simple for me to get this set up going :(

Where is your old xorg.conf file from 6.10, and why didn't you just keep it?

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

bobthenameless posted:

This looks like it might have some more options to set:
http://www.ublug.org/ubuntu/twinview/twinview-howto-breezy.html

Basically, use twinview over xinerama. Define your metamodes and maybe read near the end of your /var/log/Xorg.0.log (if that's where ubuntu puts it) to look for more clues.

bobthenameless
Jun 20, 2005

teapot posted:

Where is your old xorg.conf file from 6.10, and why didn't you just keep it?

Lost in the format, and I didn't really think about it since it went well last time. Hindsight is 20/20 and all that though :\

sund posted:

This looks like it might have some more options to set:
http://www.ublug.org/ubuntu/twinvie...wto-breezy.html

Basically, use twinview over xinerama. Define your metamodes and maybe read near the end of your /var/log/Xorg.0.log (if that's where ubuntu puts it) to look for more clues.

Thanks for the link, I'll give it a go and see what comes of it. The log from what I saw didn't really shoot out any glaring errors but I'll check it again.

And yes, that is where ubuntu puts the logs.

edit: that link was really cool for explaining the different options, but i think the problem lays in the "nvidia" driver. In 6.04 it gave me the nvidia splash screen starting up, where this time it goes from the terminal to "off" with nothing.

edit: ok, getting this and a blue X failed-to-open screen now with a reinstalled nvidia driver:
code:
(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module! Please ensure
(EE) NVIDIA(0):     that there is a supported NVIDIA GPU in this system, and
(EE) NVIDIA(0):     that the NVIDIA device files have been created properly. 
(EE) NVIDIA(0):     Please consult the NVIDIA README for details.
(EE) NVIDIA(0):  *** Aborting ***
(II) UnloadModule: "nvidia"
(II) UnloadModule: "ramdac"
(II) UnloadModule: "wfb"
(II) UnloadModule: "fb"
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

bobthenameless fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jul 16, 2007

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

bobthenameless posted:

Lost in the format, and I didn't really think about it since it went well last time. Hindsight is 20/20 and all that though :\

Thanks for the link, I'll give it a go and see what comes of it. The log from what I saw didn't really shoot out any glaring errors but I'll check it again.

And yes, that is where ubuntu puts the logs.

edit: that link was really cool for explaining the different options, but i think the problem lays in the "nvidia" driver. In 6.04 it gave me the nvidia splash screen starting up, where this time it goes from the terminal to "off" with nothing.

Most likely it's wrong frequency -- set option "UseEDID" to "false", set correct frequencies ranges in HorizSync and VertRefresh, and see if it will work.

bobthenameless
Jun 20, 2005

Got it working finally. Reconfigured my driver (it wasn't pointing to lib64 correctly I think, and i ran the driver with --x-prefix and it seemed to fix that) and after trying to get twinview to work (with no success) I decided to try Xinerama and it's perfect. Here's the xorg.conf I eventually used, found it on a linux forum and the names are pretty ugly but it works.

Also thanks for "UseEDID"="false", it was a big part to it all too.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Al Azif posted:

A window manager that actually manages windows, what a concept! I just wish ruby-wmii supported wmii-3.6.

Me too, but for now I can handle simple shell scripting. I don't really do a lot of changing to wmii's basic settings.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

68k posted:

Ok, thanks for the advice. I will give them a call this week sometime.

Apparently this can be triggered by ohci1394 driver -- try to unload and blacklist it:

code:
sudo echo "blacklist ohci1394" >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
sudo rmmod ohci1394
and see if it the error is still happening.

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

teapot posted:

Apparently this can be triggered by ohci1394 driver -- try to unload and blacklist it:

code:
sudo echo "blacklist ohci1394" >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
sudo rmmod ohci1394
and see if it the error is still happening.

I blacklisted ohci1394 (as well as ieee1394, since I don't use the firewire port at all). I also used the sudo rmmod command, but after a reboot both of those modules are still alive and kicking and have been loaded. Not sure why.

Also, I've found a lot of other folks who have had this issue when upgrading to Feisty, and they all recommended adding some apic flags to the boot list, such as "noapic" or "nolapic". I tried booting with "noapic", and to be honest, my hard locks have seemed to stop. It might be placebo, though, since they were never happening that often, but the night that I posted the original request in this thread I had had a hard lockup about three or four times in a row. That has definitely not happened since, and I've been booting with the "noapic" option. Again, may be placebo.

I'm still searching on this one. I realize it could be a hardware issue, but I want to be 100% sure before dealing with Toshiba.

So, with that said, am I doing something wrong when trying to remove those firewire modules?

RoundsToZero
Dec 3, 2004

An open door is an invitation
You may have to run update-modules or modules-update or some similar distro-specific nonsense to get a new modprobe.conf (the actual file that gets used) from the files in modules.d.

E1M6
Aug 24, 2004

I recently installed Debian Etch and I'm having one problem. In previous distros, if I didn't want a mounted drive to show up on the desktop, I set fstab to mount it somewhere other than /media, in my case /windows. This has pretty much worked for me until now.

I know you can use the gconf-editor to stop displaying volumes on the desktop completely, but what I want to do is hide Windows partitions and show CD's and USB drives. Can anyone help me with this?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
a new version of Wubi came out. i'm gonna try out Ubuntu on my home computer.

quick question: is there an Email program that connects to an EXCHANGE server for Linux?

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Xenomorph posted:

quick question: is there an Email program that connects to an EXCHANGE server for Linux?

http://www.gnome.org/projects/evolution/features.shtml

Looks like Evolution does it:

quote:

Collaboration Server support

Evolution includes support for Exchange 2000/2003 and GroupWise. You can configure Evolution to act as an Exchange client or a GroupWise client.

It will probably already be installed with any Gnome distro.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
running the latest Ubuntu at home (Wubi!), when I installed the latest ATI drivers, I lost YUY2 support, which prevents TVtime from running. :(

Is this a pretty common issue with ATI drivers? (I'm using a 9800 Pro)

Do the latest NVidia drivers support YUY2? I have a 5900XT as well that I could try.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Col posted:

http://www.gnome.org/projects/evolution/features.shtml

Looks like Evolution does it:

It will probably already be installed with any Gnome distro.
Evolution supports Exchange with OWA enabled.
Almost all mail readers (thunderbird, evolution, pine; support IMAP that can be also enabled in Exchange.
Nothing but Outlook supports Exchange's proprietary protocol. It looks like 2003 works under Crossover but not regular Wine, though maybe it is old info, and wine already supports it.

kalleboo
Jan 13, 2001

Hjälp

JoeNotCharles posted:

If it's going to be a mainly Mac-oriented disk and you just need recovery/backup capabilites in linux, then I'd go for HFS+. NTFS in FUSE is pretty slow even on a fast computer, so I wouldn't use it as a day-to-day filesystem on a G3.

Linux has excellent read support for HFS+. I've had the write support corrupt a drive on my though (although I haven't heard of anyone else having issues so maybe it was just a fluke?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I've installed Ubuntu on a friends machine, because he wanted to try it out on the longterm. Everything seemed to work fine, until at some point, not sure when, it started to lock up regularily, and more often than not, failed to continue booting when Xorg was starting (I suppose also a lock up).

The thing is, thinking about it, it might have started at the point I tried to get that Speedtouch USB modem to work. So my question is, can a faulty USB driver/device freeze the system? If it was a kernel panic, I'd figure that the system would drop into text mode, but it just freezes under Xorg.

I didn't notice such an issue while hacking on the console in text mode, though I might not have spent enough time there to trigger it.