Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I'd really appreciate it if you guys could spoiler tag Start of Darkness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Cowcaster posted:

Did you just miss this whole past storyline where Redcloak realizes he's become exactly like Xykon and deliberately goes to save all these hobgoblins he was writing off as acceptable casualties?

That's not really dissent though in fairness - he's still with Xykon's overall plan 100%, he just doesn't want to be exactly the same as him.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Affi posted:

I'd really appreciate it if you guys could spoiler tag Start of Darkness.

Seconded. Or at least start your post with something about Erfworld so no one will read it anyway.

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

wake me when the world is saved

Ashcans posted:

Seconded. Or at least start your post with something about Erfworld so no one will read it anyway.

Thirded. I really want to buy the book, they just don't have any available :argh:

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT
i found mine at brick and mortar store

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
New strip is up, finally we get to find out what happened to Vaarsuvius.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0478.html

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

So not only does Elan have a nifty new prestige class, but he's now being taught how to not be a total moron about his spells? This can only end well.

Also, for when it goes down:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Choke Babies Now posted:

but he's now being taught how to not be a total moron about his spells? This can only end well.

Well it is Elan. He could probably forget this tomorrow and it'd be in character, or he could remember it and it'd be character development. It can go either way! :v:

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Choke Babies Now posted:

So not only does Elan have a nifty new prestige class, but he's now being taught how to not be a total moron about his spells? This can only end well.

It was always weird that his spells sucked anyway. The man's got at least an 18 Charisma, his save DCs are to be respected. Good that it's maybe changing.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I have to say that I was pretty surprised by Varsuvius. I mean, I realise that a caster without spells is pretty crappy for anything, but just slipping off and essentially abandoning the rest of the party still seems pretty cold. I can easily imagine that from Belkar, but somehow I thought that V had a little more loyalty or something.

:smith:

I suppose he might have been intending to survive so that he could avenge any fallen comrades.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
A wizard with no spells or magic items is a pretty pathetic thing. The best that he could have done is in fact what he actually did, get out of the way. The worst would be to either become a prisoner or hostage, or even worse some sort of undead spellcasting minion. Granted, it was fairly cowardly, but the dude didn't have many other reasonable or realistic options available to him.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

I'm still hoping that Vaarsuvius happens to have a few scrolls of something-or-other tucked away for a rainy day like this. What wizard doesn't, really?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Choke Babies Now posted:

I'm still hoping that Vaarsuvius happens to have a few scrolls of something-or-other tucked away for a rainy day like this. What wizard doesn't, really?

It's certainly possible that at this point he's even out of them. It's been a long fight after all, and the last time he went scroll shopping it was only booster packs, so he may be left only with Feather Fall scrolls.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound
While you're waiting for the next OotS update, you should read Wonderella.

MelvinTheJerk
Jun 4, 2001

I'm still here.
What are you guys talking about? Vaarsuvius is a chick.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Melvin is correct, you guys are obviously blind.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
We should also keep in mind V is the only party member save Belkar who isn't very obviously good-aligned, so its not unreasonable for him to act less-than-heroic at a time like this.

Jeet
Jul 12, 2001

Davethulhu posted:

While you're waiting for the next OotS update, you should read Wonderella.

no don't, this is an unfunny lump of poo poo.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Jeet posted:

This is true. If you want to read a good comic, try Goblins.

Sam Hall
Jun 29, 2003

Go gently caress yourselves; Wonderella is fantastic.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Wolfsheim posted:

We should also keep in mind V is the only party member save Belkar who isn't very obviously good-aligned, so its not unreasonable for him to act less-than-heroic at a time like this.

Does being Good aligned prevent you from running in fear/self preservation?

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

"They're people. Deeply flawed, yes, but deeply human too. And maybe that's saying the same thing."
No, good alignment has a big sacrifice yourself to save others thing to it, but that only really applies if the sacrifice would mean anything. Even if V stayed and the soldiers were of a mind to run it would just eave to V dead with the soldiers. It's not even Lawful Good it's more just the paladin's code.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Sam Hall posted:

Go gently caress yourselves; Wonderella is fantastic.

I'm with Sam Hall here, I enjoyed the crap out of Wonderella.

Remember Order of the Stick? That's a great comic.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

GigaPeon posted:

Does being Good aligned prevent you from running in fear/self preservation?

No Alignment prevents/compels you to do anything, it's an indication of how you are likely to act, perhaps even the way that your character should act by their own standard of measure. Really alignment works the other way, Alignment doesn't dictate actions, actions determine Alignment.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Jeet posted:

I thought it was cute.

It's funnier than Erfworld.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I wasn't saying that because he isn't necessarily good-aligned that he isn't bound to die honorably like a chump (and believe me, I don't want to get wrapped up in anything like the Miko debacle again) I'm just pointing out that Vaarsuvius has never been particularly shown as good or courageous (more cocky than anything) and the fact that not only did he flee when his chances of survival dropped, but he remained hidden amongst the huddled masses while his friends arrived with Hinjo (which surely he would've seen, as people would've probably made a big deal when Hinjo arrived and the Order was with him) isn't at all going against his earlier character.

However, if Haley had been in danger and he hadn't stepped in or something of that nature, that would go against his previous actions, but as far as I can tell, he has little in the way of strong emotional bonds with the rest of the Order, certainly so when his own life is at stake.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I thoguht Var was shown as true neutral somewhere?

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Well I mean even if he's a sorceror his attack bonus ought to be pretty okay, just start chucking rocks at them or something.

Also I had a few laughs at Wonderella and I have to agree goblins kick massive amounts of arse.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Affi posted:

Well I mean even if he's a sorceror his attack bonus ought to be pretty okay, just start chucking rocks at them or something.

Also I had a few laughs at Wonderella and I have to agree goblins kick massive amounts of arse.

I've never played a real game of D&D but I've always gotten the feeling the spellcaster classes shoehorn you into a single role pretty hard. Don't wizards and sorcerers not get weapon proficiencies and probably dump their lowest ability in strength?

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

They can use a crossbow pretty okay since a lot of casters have a high dex score for those pesky ranged touch Evocation spells. I've never played a caster without a clipped crossbow handy.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Cowcaster posted:

I've never played a real game of D&D but I've always gotten the feeling the spellcaster classes shoehorn you into a single role pretty hard. Don't wizards and sorcerers not get weapon proficiencies and probably dump their lowest ability in strength?

Wizards and Sorcerers have only a few weapons and low attack bonus, but even 1/2 BAB means that he has the attack bonus of a fighter of ~6th level.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
They get simple weapon proficiency.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

bgaesop posted:

They get simple weapon proficiency.

Sorcerers do, but wizards only get club, dagger, heavy crossbow, light crossbow, and quarterstaff.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Piell posted:

1/2 BAB

What's that?

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Cowcaster posted:

What's that?

Their base attack bonus is equal to one half their level, so 0 at level 1, 3 at 6 or 7, and so on. The three standard base attack bonuses are 1/2, 3/4, and 1. There's also 0 and 5/4 but those are rarer.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Cowcaster posted:

What's that?

BAB is Base Attack Bonus, and is your base chance of hitting something before adding in feats, strength, etc.. Fighting types get +1 BAB, meaning it goes up every level. 1/2 BAB means it goes up every other level.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Yea, I guess its not the running away part as much as the staying hidden part. I mean, if V is a sorceror, then he probably has a decent Charisma score, and if he's a Wizard then he has to have a decent Intelligence. Either way, you would think that he would have been able to do something in terms of rallying the troops, helping to cooridnate their defense of the boat, or something. At least letting the others know that he was alive and so on, something.

Oh well. Speaking of bows, do Elves use crossbows much? Do they still get the racial bonuses for longbows and longswords? Maybe V doesn't have a crossbow because its not very Elfy. He probably just has darts or something to interrupt enemy spellcasters.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Piell posted:

Sorcerers do, but wizards only get club, dagger, heavy crossbow, light crossbow, and quarterstaff.
He's an Elf wizard, so he's got Longbow too. I have no idea how any other race wizard copes with levels 1-2, other than just sitting them out.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
In theory, V could pick up a longbow and be a more effective soldier than most of the troops on the field, just because he has the BAB of a sixth level fighter, at least a decent dexterity score, and more hitpoints. In fact, that commander guy who V deserted even said as much.

However, that would probably lead to V dying and somehow he doesn't find the notion appealing. I always figured that V was True Neutral - he's loyal to his friends and possessed of enough conscience to avoid hurting othe people if he can, but pretty much without any concept of some higher moral duty that his actions have to conform to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Talkie Toaster posted:

He's an Elf wizard, so he's got Longbow too. I have no idea how any other race wizard copes with levels 1-2, other than just sitting them out.

As a 1st level wizrd, you stay behind the meatshields and cast magic missile sparingly until you find a wand of the same among random treasure.

Seriously, doesn't V have any wands or scrolls? A wand of fireball should cost pocket change for a 12th level party.