Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

How hard would it be for someone to make a new feature that showed the newest posts, from all over the forum, not just one thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poopiehead
Oct 6, 2004

Ehjpic posted:

How hard would it be for someone to make a new feature that showed the newest posts, from all over the forum, not just one thread?

Probably not possible without doing webcrawler-like shenanigans which SA frowns upon.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Ehjpic posted:

Moderately hard, but we wouldn't do it. We're not allowed to initiate any page requests on our own.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

What about something that highlights the forum sections that contain new posts, since the lat time you looked at a thread, within that section.

Sorry if it's hard to understand.:words:

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Ehjpic posted:

What about something that highlights the forum sections that contain new posts, since the lat time you looked at a thread, within that section.

We can only do stuff to what you see, we can't retrieve data from the site unless the user goes to that page.
I know what you're asking for, but we can't do it.

poopiehead
Oct 6, 2004

Ehjpic posted:

If I'm understanding you right, then it's the same problem. SALR can only use info it can grab from the screen while you're browsing and I don't think this info is available anywhere since it's necessarily info about places you haven't been yet.

edit: what duz said.

Carnivean
Feb 14, 2004

by Peatpot

kri kri posted:

I must be blind, but I put >> Starred Thread Menu << into my Pinned Forums, but it does not show up. Feel free to bash me if I am being an idiot. :3:

You need to have starred threads to go in it I believe.

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

Ehjpic posted:

There exist RSS feeds for some forums. See my sig.

SA Forums RSS - GBS - Games - SH/SC - TV IV - SA-Mart - D&D - Ask/Tell - Coupons - Others

FistLips
Dec 14, 2004

Must I dream and always see your face?

erebus25 posted:

SALR User stalker feature.

Allows you to temporary track a persons posts.

Isn't something like this already a feature of the forums? If you click the litte question-mark beneath a user's avatar it'll show you that user's post in the current thread. It does however not show other users' posts at the same time like yours does.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Xinopay posted:

Isn't something like this already a feature of the forums? If you click the litte question-mark beneath a user's avatar it'll show you that user's post in the current thread. It does however not show other users' posts at the same time like yours does.

Those two features are nothing like eachother. :confused:

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

erebus25 posted:

SALR User stalker feature.

Stabby McDamage's User Colorer Greasemonkey script already does that.

erebus25
Jan 20, 2004

by Lowtax

Xinopay posted:

m2pt5 posted:

And SALR already does this as well, take a look at the "Add Coloring/Note" link under everyones post. As I said before I managed to reinvent a feature SALR already had.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

erebus25 posted:

And SALR already does this as well, take a look at the "Add Coloring/Note" link under everyones post.

SALR just does the name; Stabby's GM script does the entire left column block, which I think is easier to notice when scrolling by a bunch of posts you don't care to read.

Edit: Well, poo poo, I didn't know that.
vvv

m2pt5 fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Aug 2, 2007

erebus25
Jan 20, 2004

by Lowtax

m2pt5 posted:

SALR just does the name; Stabby's GM script does the entire left column block, which I think is easier to notice when scrolling by a bunch of posts you don't care to read.

If you change the background colour value in SALR it also highlights the entire post, like the monstrosity I created does.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

m2pt5 posted:

Last I checked this was broken. Instead of highlighting the single post, it highlights all of them on the page.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Blinkz0rz posted:

Last I checked this was broken. Instead of highlighting the single post, it highlights all of them on the page.
It's not broken, that's the intent.

quote:

When clicked, the background of that cell is changed to that color in every post that user makes.
What's the point of highlighting a single post anyway? I'd want to highlight all of a person's posts, not just one of them.

Edit: Version 3 is broken. Use version 2.

erebus25
Jan 20, 2004

by Lowtax

m2pt5 posted:

What's the point of highlighting a single post anyway? I'd want to highlight all of a person's posts, not just one of them.
Have you tried this feature yet? This is exactly what it does, since you first posted about this I've had all your posts on the forums coloured blue, just by clicking that link the first time.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

erebus25 posted:

Have you tried this feature yet?

I was arguing Blinkz0rz's post in saying it was broken, not arguing that it works that way.

Edit: Changing background color, at least for the OP, doesn't seem to work in SALR. I'm using the latest nightly.

Edit2: Would it be possible to get (at least an option for) an RGB-style color picker? (Something like the default Windows one.) I have a hell of a time messing with that HSB stuff.

m2pt5 fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Aug 3, 2007

Demented Footstool
Jan 3, 2007

Do Not Summon The Fire

m2pt5 posted:

Edit2: Would it be possible to get (at least an option for) an RGB-style color picker? (Something like the default Windows one.) I have a hell of a time messing with that HSB stuff.

You can enter in RGB values in the color picker.

erebus25
Jan 20, 2004

by Lowtax

m2pt5 posted:

Edit: Changing background color, at least for the OP, doesn't seem to work in SALR. I'm using the latest nightly.

You're right, interesting what a missing ! can do to a bit of code. I've commited a fix for this to the SVN repo.

edit: just checking the post below.

erebus25 fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Aug 3, 2007

Toenail Ninja
Sep 10, 2003

Superman is back!
It's great!
I read through the thread and didn't see this issue posted. I opened a thread from my User CP list of bookmarked threads and edited a post using Quick Edit. When I hit submit and went back to my CP, the thread was no longer bookmarked. I was able to reproduce it exactly. I tested it with SALR disabled, and it didn't happen. I only have Parse URLs and Live Preview checked in the Quick Edit window.

|||||||
Aug 19, 2004

I'm not Chemmy

Toenail Ninja posted:

I read through the thread and didn't see this issue posted. I opened a thread from my User CP list of bookmarked threads and edited a post using Quick Edit. When I hit submit and went back to my CP, the thread was no longer bookmarked. I was able to reproduce it exactly. I tested it with SALR disabled, and it didn't happen. I only have Parse URLs and Live Preview checked in the Quick Edit window.

Do you have "subscribed" checked?

Toenail Ninja
Sep 10, 2003

Superman is back!
It's great!

||||||| posted:

Do you have "subscribed" checked?

No, I didn't. Does SALR remove a bookmark if you don't have that checked every time?

erebus25
Jan 20, 2004

by Lowtax
O.k. a little history lesson first.

Original the forums didn't have the bookmark feature, then SALR came along a gave people the new feature of being able to subscribe to threads! Then after a load of awesome work by various admin people on SA users can now bookmark threads, so SALR removed the ability to subscribe to threads because the forums do this via the bookmark feature.

Seems that this option is still left in the quote quote/edit feature and should be removed. The reason the thread gets unbookmarked is the quickquote/edit don't set the bookmark check box.

I'll look into fixing this shortly.

TangyRaptor
Apr 10, 2006
Seasoning not included.
How can I clear my starred threads? A lot of them have moved into archives and since I can not access archives, I can not unstar that thread. I tried uninstalling SALR and reinstalling it (I seem to remember unintentionally clearing them before) but that didn't work.

Thanks.

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

erebus25 posted:

O.k. a little history lesson first.

Original the forums didn't have the bookmark feature, then SALR came along a gave people the new feature of being able to subscribe to threads!
Thread subscriptions existed long before SALR. It was built into vB.

Tabachinova
May 6, 2007

You say...

You say you'd still rather wear the outfit.
Is there some way to close youtube videos or to be able to open then only once?

erebus25
Jan 20, 2004

by Lowtax

CygnusTM posted:

Thread subscriptions existed long before SALR. It was built into vB.

Ah seems the teacher got taught. Either way subscriptions seem have been replaced by bookmarks and SALR needs to be brought up to date with this.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

TangyRaptor posted:

How can I clear my starred threads? A lot of them have moved into archives and since I can not access archives, I can not unstar that thread. I tried uninstalling SALR and reinstalling it (I seem to remember unintentionally clearing them before) but that didn't work.

Thanks.

ooo, good question. I don't think there's an interface for that. I'll have to work something out.

Tabachinova posted:

Is there some way to close youtube videos or to be able to open then only once?

That is only partially implemented so that may not be working yet.

erebus25 posted:

Ah seems the teacher got taught. Either way subscriptions seem have been replaced by bookmarks and SALR needs to be brought up to date with this.

Subscriptions == bookmarks
The unsubscribe bug's been around awhile.

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!
The problem with the subscribe bug is that it says (in psuedo code because I don't know how it actually works)
code:
if(salr.CheckSubscribeBox)
    reply.Subscribe = true
else
    reply.Subscribe = false
instead of
code:
if(salr.CheckSubscribeBox||reply.Subscribe)
    reply.Subscribe = true
else
    reply.Subscribe = false

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Is there any way to sync Starred Threads between computers, or do I need to use bookmarking?

|||||||
Aug 19, 2004

I'm not Chemmy

kri kri posted:

Is there any way to sync Starred Threads between computers, or do I need to use bookmarking?

I think we gave up on syncing when GENADmin did server side thread tracking.

Eunabomber
Dec 30, 2002

duz posted:

We can only do stuff to what you see, we can't retrieve data from the site unless the user goes to that page.
I know what you're asking for, but we can't do it.

Just out of curiosity is it a limitation of the program or GA said: "don't do that"?

Real question, does anyone else's dropdown menu periodically lose the forum list?

|||||||
Aug 19, 2004

I'm not Chemmy

Eunabomber posted:

Just out of curiosity is it a limitation of the program or GA said: "don't do that"?

Real question, does anyone else's dropdown menu periodically lose the forum list?

GA said don't do that.

Yeah the folder list is proof of that. Hopefully that status message cuts down on people whining.

Eunabomber
Dec 30, 2002

||||||| posted:

GA said don't do that.

Yeah the folder list is proof of that. Hopefully that status message cuts down on people whining.

Aha, I see. Note to other users, sometimes it takes several minutes to refresh the list, so don't get all panicky.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

||||||| posted:

I think we gave up on syncing when GENADmin did server side thread tracking.

So in other words, use bookmarks instead?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

kri kri posted:

So in other words, use bookmarks instead?

That would be preferable, yes.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

erebus25 posted:

And SALR already does this as well, take a look at the "Add Coloring/Note" link under everyones post. As I said before I managed to reinvent a feature SALR already had.

Whenever I go to use the thing, I automatically try to edit the entries by double-clicking on them. If you guys amalgamated the three colour/note windows into a single one with tabs (that could be opened either with a double-click or a right-click ), it would be cool. :)

Bolek
May 1, 2003

The addition of the straight from site pasting of the picture to WaffleImages is a very cool feature. Thanks guys!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madlobster
Aug 12, 2003

madlobster posted:

Is it a known issue that when "Highlight threads I've seen in a different color" in the User Control Panel is on, all viewed threads are highlighted blue, instead of the SALR colors?

Got tired of waiting for this to be fixed. Here's my quick, probably less than optimal fix to salastreadOverlay.js (added before the last line):
code:
		if (thread.className=="thread seen")
		{
			//we haven't been tracking this for whatever reason, add it
			if(!threadDetails)
			{
				persistObject.iAmReadingThis(threadId);
				persistObject.setThreadTitle(threadId, threadTitle);
			}
			thread.className="thread";
		}

// So right click star/ignore works