Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indigoe
Jul 29, 2003

gonna steal the show, you know it ain't no crime
code:
lvm vgscan
Found volume group "VolGroup00" using metadata type lvm2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.
Okay so do 'ls -al /dev/VolGroup00/' and paste what that says.

indigoe
Jul 29, 2003

Accipiter posted:

Okay so do 'ls -al /dev/VolGroup00/' and paste what that says.

That it cannot access /dev/VolGroup00/ no such file or directory. :(

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.
No that's not necessarily bad, that just means it wasn't automatically set up.

Run these in the following order:

1. mkdir /mnt/recover
2. lvm vgchange VolGroup00 -a y
3. mount /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 /mnt/recover

Then check in /mnt/recover and see what's going on.

indigoe
Jul 29, 2003

Yes! That did the trick. Now, I was told that probably the /etc directory got wiped, but as far as I can tell it's still there. So at this point I'm not sure how to proceed.

edit: I found 3 password files. passwd, passwd- and passwd.OLD. The first 2 has 100+ usernames I don't recognise. passwd.OLD has 1 account (mine, in addition to all the system accounts) but accounts missing.

indigoe fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Aug 11, 2007

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

indigoe posted:

Yes! That did the trick. Now, I was told that probably the /etc directory got wiped, but as far as I can tell it's still there. So at this point I'm not sure how to proceed.

edit: I found 3 password files. passwd, passwd- and passwd.OLD. The first 2 has 100+ usernames I don't recognise. passwd.OLD has 1 account (mine, in addition to all the system accounts) but accounts missing.

I don't know what to tell you there, but the entire drive should now be in /mnt/recover so you can get the stuff you need. Your initial post says you needed to get mysql and web stuff. While the web data location can vary based on server setup (It's /var/www/ on my systems), your database(s) should be in /mnt/recover/var/lib/mysql.

indigoe
Jul 29, 2003

Yes, I can access the whole contents of the drive. But I would also like to find out what happened and why I have these unknown passwd files, and it would be nice if I could recover inittab somehow. I have 2 disks but the second one is NTFS. I can't mount it from the recovery session to copy the files I want to save. I guess the other option would be to resize the partition and create a second one and save the files there.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.
The files passwd and passwd- should be identical or close to it. I can't say for sure where passwd.OLD came from.

indigoe posted:

Yes, I can access the whole contents of the drive. But I would also like to find out what happened and why I have these unknown passwd files, and it would be nice if I could recover inittab somehow.

If inittab is still around it'll be in /etc but you can use find to see if there are any other instances of it lying around.

As for what happened, I guess you can poke around in /mnt/recover/var/log but all you said originally was that the server "died" without much detail, so I can't offer much more than that.

indigoe
Jul 29, 2003

Well, the server served 2 purposes, one being my web server for messing around with stuff and second my mp3 storage.

I can see a LOT of failed login attempts spanning a number of days. Someone was still attempting logins as I shut the system off. By the looks of it someone DID get in but surprisingly didn't format the drives just made sure it's going to be difficult to reboot the system.

edit:
Looks like the system has been compromised for much longer than a few days. The security log only goes back 1 month but in that time I found 4 root logins for 3 different IP addresses all in different countries.

I've learnt 2 important lessons so far: make the root password more secure, and move ssh to a different port.

Any ideas how I can get the system to boot up again? Is it worth the effort? I really appreciate the help so far.

indigoe fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Aug 11, 2007

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive
I have much confusion with unmounting with thunar on a new memory device. i already have run chmod u+s `which mount` `which umount` etc to give user permissions.

An older device, IPOD, mounts and unmounts fine via thunar as user. but the new device, KODAK_PC, cannot unmount well via thunar:

quote:

"Cannot unmount the volume 'KODAK_PC', Details: Cannot remove directory"

Permissions for devices and mount points are identical across the board, and IPOD has not had to be listed in fstab or anything else like that.

However, in /media/:

quote:

drwx------ 4 me root 4096 1970-01-01 01:00 IPOD
drwxr-xr-x 2 me me 4096 2007-05-07 12:14 iso
drwx------ 3 me root 16384 1970-01-01 01:00 KODAK_PC

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005
I FOR ONE WELCOME OUR NEW STUPID FUCKING CATCHPHRASE OVERLORDS

indigoe posted:

edit:
Looks like the system has been compromised for much longer than a few days. The security log only goes back 1 month but in that time I found 4 root logins for 3 different IP addresses all in different countries.

I've learnt 2 important lessons so far: make the root password more secure, and move ssh to a different port.

Uhm, setup key only login via ssh and disable remote root login. Would be the lessons you should take away from this...

quote:

Any ideas how I can get the system to boot up again? Is it worth the effort? I really appreciate the help so far.

If you didn't notice the machine had been rooted for at least a month AND based on the relative simplicity of the questions you've been asking I'd say you'd be way in over your head for cleaning any potential rootkits which may be installed at this point and go ahead and start from scratch using better security practices from square one.

indigoe
Jul 29, 2003

Yeah you are right. I didn't think of disabling remote root login but it sounds like a good idea. Although that wouldn't stop someone from hammering it with attempts. I managed to back up some stuff on a new logical volume and formatted the old one. I just hope I didn't forget to back something up.

I also didn't think to look at security logs and such - as far as I knew everything was working fine. And while I'm interested in learning about this, most of the time I just want the server to be there and work and not have to worry about it.

Thanks again for the help.

Alowishus
Jan 8, 2002

My name is Mud

indigoe posted:

Although that wouldn't stop someone from hammering it with attempts.
DenyHosts will take care of that.

marcan
Sep 3, 2006
(:(){ :|:;};:)
I regularly get hammered with SSH dictionary attacks. It doesn't mean someone is specifically targetting your machine - lots of people just do random probes against anyone with port 22 open.

Once I actually set up a (badly made) honeypot account and had an epic encounter with a (human) hacker. After an hour of going back and forth, me trying to log everything he did, him defeating my logging mechanisms (note that at no point did he ever escalate privileges beyond his dummy account - it's just that my logging systems were primitive as I had just hacked them together in about 5 minutes), I finally echoed some text to his PTY which he promptly answered in the form of comments through his bash shell (my logging system was finally working). It was very surreal, seeing everything he tried in real time (typos included). He was Spanish like I was, so I guess he got in by probing people in IP address spaces close to his. He was tunnelling through another random hacked box, of course, so I never found out where he really was connecting from. Eventually, we met up on IRC and had an interesting conversation.

I did learn something though. Next time I try my hand at a honeypot, I'll use a UML (linux-on-top-of-linux, completely isolated from the host). Even without privilege escalation, there are many not-so-good things that a random "privilegeless" account can do, if you're not very careful.

ExileStrife
Sep 12, 2004

Happy birthday to you!
Happy birthday to you!
I was in the shower and ended up thinking up something I keep wondering about.

I have a persistant world gameserver that runs on dual processor, dual core server (4 effective processors) but the server process is not a multithreaded application. It pretty much only makes one processor loaded, jumping to a different processor every so often. I was wondering about designating a process to run on a certain processor.

If I do only that, I would figure you get a very miniscule preformance increase associated with reduced overhead from switching processors. However, I am pretty sure I could get multiple instances of the server process running and have the in game 'world' spread across multiple server instances. There, I could assign 4 instances of the server each to it's own processor, and probably see a benefit there.

My last idea is just to start up multiple server instances without assigning processors (if that can even be done), and just let the scheduler do it's magic. That is probably the best idea anyway. >_>

KaeseEs
Feb 23, 2007

by Fragmaster

marcan posted:

I regularly get hammered with SSH dictionary attacks. It doesn't mean someone is specifically targetting your machine - lots of people just do random probes against anyone with port 22 open.

Once I actually set up a (badly made) honeypot account and had an epic encounter with a (human) hacker. After an hour of going back and forth, me trying to log everything he did, him defeating my logging mechanisms (note that at no point did he ever escalate privileges beyond his dummy account - it's just that my logging systems were primitive as I had just hacked them together in about 5 minutes), I finally echoed some text to his PTY which he promptly answered in the form of comments through his bash shell (my logging system was finally working). It was very surreal, seeing everything he tried in real time (typos included). He was Spanish like I was, so I guess he got in by probing people in IP address spaces close to his. He was tunnelling through another random hacked box, of course, so I never found out where he really was connecting from. Eventually, we met up on IRC and had an interesting conversation.

I did learn something though. Next time I try my hand at a honeypot, I'll use a UML (linux-on-top-of-linux, completely isolated from the host). Even without privilege escalation, there are many not-so-good things that a random "privilegeless" account can do, if you're not very careful.

When I first installed sshd, I would get dictionary-attacked about twice a week. At first, I would run a whois on all the IPs of hackers I found by grepping through /var/log/auth.log, and send emails to the listed addresses informing them their systems had been compromised and were being used by crackers (interestingly, most of the zombified boxes were in Asian university networks). I was never really afraid of getting cracked successfully, as I disabled remote root login and used strong passwords, but the attempts were disconcerting. Then, I modified /etc/sshd_config so that my server daemon was no longer on port 22. I've had no unauthorized access attempts since.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Two questions, both regarding sound/music in Linux (debian etch, specifically, but probably not relevant).

First, what do people recommend for a good music program? I'm guessing most people use an mpd client of some sort? I've got mpd running and have tried pympd and sonata, which are both alright but don't seem all that polished. I don't like the way that sonata deals with the library, and pympd seems to choke on the size of my library (when I go to database and click "all", nothing ever shows up.)

Is mpd generally the way to go? If so, what clients do people recommend? Otherwise, what other programs are good? Rhythmbox came preinstalled, is that any good?

Second question; I noticed that the sound quality on my mp3s is seriously lacking. I haven't noticed any quality issues while watching videos, but sound from music is very scratchy, as if the signal is clipped, and it seems to sound the same on any program I run it with. Could this just be the result of a lovely decoder or what? It's odd, I'm sure that the files themselves are fine, as they sounded fine when I play them on my ipod or in itunes in windows. Ideas?

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

jstultz posted:

Second question; I noticed that the sound quality on my mp3s is seriously lacking. I haven't noticed any quality issues while watching videos, but sound from music is very scratchy, as if the signal is clipped, and it seems to sound the same on any program I run it with. Could this just be the result of a lovely decoder or what? It's odd, I'm sure that the files themselves are fine, as they sounded fine when I play them on my ipod or in itunes in windows. Ideas?
If it is clipping, try to lower your PCM mixer volume in alsamixer. Sometimes it's helpful and shows a gain in positive dBs, in that case, lower it to 0dB. Sometimes you have to guess. 74% is 0dB for me.

Magicmat
Aug 14, 2000

I've got the worst fucking attorneys
Is there any way to convert console colored text into HTML? I have a script which takes the output of an emerge update command and e-mails it to me. It would be super-helpful if the color coding I see on the console could carry over into an e-mail. I searched around, but didn't find any way to do this.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

jstultz posted:

Two questions, both regarding sound/music in Linux (debian etch, specifically, but probably not relevant).

First, what do people recommend for a good music program? I'm guessing most people use an mpd client of some sort? I've got mpd running and have tried pympd and sonata, which are both alright but don't seem all that polished. I don't like the way that sonata deals with the library, and pympd seems to choke on the size of my library (when I go to database and click "all", nothing ever shows up.)

Is mpd generally the way to go? If so, what clients do people recommend? Otherwise, what other programs are good? Rhythmbox came preinstalled, is that any good?

I use mpd with gmpc as a front end. It works great.

Second, are you using ALSA with software sound mixing (dmix)? First issue to check is to see if your volume levels in alsamixer are causing any gain. You want to bring down the PCM/Master levels until the Gain dB = 0. Also, from what I've heard (from various sources and wikis), is that ALSA's software mixing noticably degrades sound performance. This is one of the reasons distros (Ubuntu, Fedora) are moving to Pulseaudio. I set it up, and it works great, and it does seem to do a better job of software mixing. On top of that, you can set the volume for each individual program at the sound server level, instead of just overall.

Magicmat posted:

Is there any way to convert console colored text into HTML? I have a script which takes the output of an emerge update command and e-mails it to me. It would be super-helpful if the color coding I see on the console could carry over into an e-mail. I searched around, but didn't find any way to do this.

If there's not anything natively, it wouldn't be very hard to do something with sed. In fact, it should be quite easy.

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

skroll posted:

If there's not anything natively, it wouldn't be very hard to do something with sed. In fact, it should be quite easy.

There's a perl package for converting ANSI text to html (if emerge actually passes the ansi to your mailer, you could pipe it through this perl script before delivering via .forward).

HTML::FromANSI

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Does anyone know if its possible to get an active desktop in Linux (preferably Gnome) similar to tsdesk? (large screenshot here) and site URL here.

The feature I really want is the note-taking panes at the top right - clicking in them allows typing and clicking out of them automatically saves the note in a text file.

Anyone seen anything like this in Linux? I can't seem to get Gnome to accept anything other than an image file as the background.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Col posted:

Does anyone know if its possible to get an active desktop in Linux (preferably Gnome) similar to tsdesk? (large screenshot here) and site URL here.

The feature I really want is the note-taking panes at the top right - clicking in them allows typing and clicking out of them automatically saves the note in a text file.

Anyone seen anything like this in Linux? I can't seem to get Gnome to accept anything other than an image file as the background.

It's actually fairly trivial, you're just going about it the wrong way. Check out gDesklets, I'm sure there is something in there you may find suitable. In fact, if you are using Ubuntu it's a piece of cake to install.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

skroll posted:

Second, are you using ALSA with software sound mixing (dmix)? First issue to check is to see if your volume levels in alsamixer are causing any gain. You want to bring down the PCM/Master levels until the Gain dB = 0. Also, from what I've heard (from various sources and wikis), is that ALSA's software mixing noticably degrades sound performance. This is one of the reasons distros (Ubuntu, Fedora) are moving to Pulseaudio. I set it up, and it works great, and it does seem to do a better job of software mixing. On top of that, you can set the volume for each individual program at the sound server level, instead of just overall.

Yes, I'm using ALSA, but how do I tell if I'm using software sound mixing?

Additionally, how can I tell what the gain is? I don't see it displayed anywhere. If I open alsamixer, if I bring Master and PCM down to 35, the volume level bars are all white, does that indicate 0 gain? (I've got no idea) But when I do that, the sound levels to my speakers are ridiculously low (I turn the speaker volume all the way up and can't hear it more than 5 feet from my desk).

How is it that alsamixer is this widespread and popular and yet sucks so much?

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

jstultz posted:

Yes, I'm using ALSA, but how do I tell if I'm using software sound mixing?

Additionally, how can I tell what the gain is? I don't see it displayed anywhere. If I open alsamixer, if I bring Master and PCM down to 35, the volume level bars are all white, does that indicate 0 gain? (I've got no idea) But when I do that, the sound levels to my speakers are ridiculously low (I turn the speaker volume all the way up and can't hear it more than 5 feet from my desk).

How is it that alsamixer is this widespread and popular and yet sucks so much?

Because you don't want to have to use OSS. Also, it should say in the upper left of the alsamixer screen what the gain is. I'm not sure off hand how to tell if you are using the software mixer (dmix) but if you are using any sort of integrated sound you can bet you are.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

skroll posted:

Because you don't want to have to use OSS. Also, it should say in the upper left of the alsamixer screen what the gain is. I'm not sure off hand how to tell if you are using the software mixer (dmix) but if you are using any sort of integrated sound you can bet you are.

Hmm, well I don't see any sort of gain figure in the upper left of either the gui alsamixer or the text based one, but I did set both master and PCM to around 80% and the sound seems to be fine now. Thanks for the advice.

Next question that just came up: When I'm playing a video, (in vlc or totem), it won't display on my right monitor, and when it is playing on my left monitor, and I move my cursor over to the left monitor, the video image moves to the left inside the video player window, making it virtually impossible to use both of my screens when I'm watching something, which pretty much sucks. Is this a common problem, and if so, how do I fix it?

I've got an ati x850xl with the fglrx drivers.

Kristneder
Jul 21, 2006

:siren:This is my first post.:siren:
Hi. I've have just installed Ubuntu on my laptop, mainly because I wanted to try it out. But I've come across a minor problem, how do I connect my Creative Zen Touch to my laptop? And how will I be able to transfer music to it?

Thanks in advance! =)

:Edit: Nevermind! It's working now =) I've installed gnomad2, and now it works like a charm =)

Kristneder fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Aug 12, 2007

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Kristneder posted:

Hi. I've have just installed Ubuntu on my laptop, mainly because I wanted to try it out. But I've come across a minor problem, how do I connect my Creative Zen Touch to my laptop? And how will I be able to transfer music to it?

Thanks in advance! =)

Welcome to Ubuntu.

A quick google turned up these two howtos:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=199250

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=33040 (probably too old to be relevant now)

The amarok blog here from 2006 seems to suggest that Amarok should be able to do this as well now, so probably that is the best solution as you may well use Amarok as your primary music player.

Kristneder
Jul 21, 2006

:siren:This is my first post.:siren:

Col posted:

Welcome to Ubuntu.

A quick google turned up these two howtos:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=199250

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=33040 (probably too old to be relevant now)

The amarok blog here from 2006 seems to suggest that Amarok should be able to do this as well now, so probably that is the best solution as you may well use Amarok as your primary music player.

Thanks =). I tried Amarok, but my player wouldn't connect to the laptop. =( But with Gnomad2 it worked as I first opened the program.

It's hard to get used to the new way of installing programs =S apt install and so on.. =(

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Kristneder posted:

Thanks =). I tried Amarok, but my player wouldn't connect to the laptop. =( But with Gnomad2 it worked as I first opened the program.

It's hard to get used to the new way of installing programs =S apt install and so on.. =(

It's funny you say that, I find it much easier to type 'apt-get install flashplayer' for example then go to the flash website, get past the adds, download the .exe etc :) Give it a little while, you'll soon appreciate!

If you don't want to type anything, Applications -> Add/remove gives you a prettified gui and System -> Administration -> Synaptic Package Manager gives you a less pretty but more powerful gui to install packages from.

If you're struggling a bit with installing things, I would also highly recommend Automatix 2 - it'll make things like dvd support / video codecs, write-support for your windows drives etc etc a one-click matter.

http://www.getautomatix.com/

Prince John fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Aug 13, 2007

fatcat
Jun 18, 2004

albert's lookin at you

Col posted:

It's funny you say that, I find it much easier to type 'apt-get install flashplayer' for example then go to the flash website, get past the adds, download the .exe etc :) Give it a little while, you'll soon appreciate!

If you don't want to type anything, Applications -> Add/remove gives you a prettified gui and System -> Administration -> Synaptic Package Manager gives you a less pretty but more powerful gui to install packages from.

If you're struggling a bit with installing things, I would also highly recommend Automatix 2 - it'll make things like dvd support / video codecs, write-support for your windows drives etc etc a one-click matter.

http://www.getautomatix.com/

I realize that Automatix is helpful for some people, and lots of people don't care about proper system maintenance or administration or what have you, but Automatix can cause some pretty hairy situations and is pretty buggy. This page gives a pretty thorough rundown: http://mjg59.livejournal.com/77440.html

Everything that Automatix does can be done pretty easily manually, and it results in a much cleaner solution.

invid
Dec 19, 2002
Hi guys,

I have a problem.

code:
[root@soundwave ~]# df -h
Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda2             221G  9.5G  200G   5% /
/dev/sda1             965M   42M  874M   5% /boot
tmpfs                1013M     0 1013M   0% /dev/shm
I've mounted my whole hdd into "/". Now I'd want to create a new partition called "/vz".

Is it possible to resize the partition on the fly (ala. partition magic)?

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

invid posted:

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/

Please try using Google next time.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

invid posted:

When you say 'on the fly', what do you mean exactly? I'm fairly sure you would have to unmount the partition to resize it - as its your root partition that would probably mean running gparted from a rescue disc/live cd.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

skroll posted:

It's actually fairly trivial, you're just going about it the wrong way. Check out gDesklets, I'm sure there is something in there you may find suitable. In fact, if you are using Ubuntu it's a piece of cake to install.

Thanks, I never thought of that for some reason. Many of the applets seem to be quite buggy upon first inspection, but I'll definitely have a good luck in this direction.

fatcat posted:

I realize that Automatix is helpful for some people, and lots of people don't care about proper system maintenance or administration or what have you, but Automatix can cause some pretty hairy situations and is pretty buggy. This page gives a pretty thorough rundown: http://mjg59.livejournal.com/77440.html

Thanks! That's the first time I've ever seen someone substantiate their claims with an up-to-date and detailed criticism. Very interesting read.

Having said that, I'll probably still use it because :effort: and it takes about 20 mins to reinstall Ubuntu if it all goes horribly wrong. :)

invid
Dec 19, 2002

Col posted:

When you say 'on the fly', what do you mean exactly? I'm fairly sure you would have to unmount the partition to resize it - as its your root partition that would probably mean running gparted from a rescue disc/live cd.

By on the fly, I meant with the "/" still mounted.

I guess its not possible, after searching around :( Looks like I've to get a new HDD just to mount /vz.

Magicmat
Aug 14, 2000

I've got the worst fucking attorneys
Quick question: I've decided to give Ubuntu a try. I'm trying to install it on the master drive of IDE chain 2, which is recognized as /dev/hdc in the Live CD. My problem is that I also want the bootloader on this drive, too. How can I tell which device to put down in the "Step 7 of 7 -> Advanced -> Device for bootloader installation"?

I have a SATA drive (/dev/sda) and a slave drive on IDE 1 (/dev/hdb) in addition to the /dev/hdc drive. In step 4 of the installation the options are listed as:
[ ] IDE1 Slave (hdb)
[X] IDE2 Master (hdc)
[ ] SCSI2 (0,0,0) (sda)

The main thing is that I don't want it touching the SATA drive. The problem is that the boot device listings are in GRUB form, i.e. hd0 or hd2 or whatever. How do I translate the /dev device listings into GRUB numbered listings?

TreFitty
Jan 18, 2003

I have a "which distro since I've been gone so long" question.

I've used these versions of Linux in my life:
-Redhat 8 (still running on my server at home)
-Fedora Core 1, Core 2 Beta, and Core 3

So I'm pretty limited in vision to fairly old stuff and Redhat's way of doing things. But I've heard great things about Ubuntu over the last couple of years and I've been meaning to try it out. An user-friendly version of Linux built off of Debian sounds absolutely fantastic to me. Well, my laptop came with Windows Vista and I'm pretty loving sick of it. In the long run I'm sure I'll use that as one of my desktop OS's of choice, but it's just in a sad shape right now and not worth the hassle.

I'm looking to run a dual boot of a Linux distributionon 70 GB of my hard drive and Windows XP on the remaining 30. The plan is to run most of my games (very simple/old ones) in Linux with WINE/Cedega and mount the NTFS partition for MP3s so that I can listen to them in both OS's. I would also like to see if I can run Internet Explorer 6 or 7 in Linux using WINE because some stuff that I do at work requires IE6/7 or FireFox 2, but the FireFox support is not so great. A lot of AJAX and other strange stuff in the web pages I need to administer the portal I work with that FireFox doesn't seem to play well with.

One of the things that originally turned me off of Linux on my last laptop was the lack of native wireless support. I spent almost two solid days setting up Fedora Core 3 to get it the way I wanted, but I still had to be sitting at my desk with a chord plugged in to get the drat internet to work. I'm fairly familiar with the ins and outs of Linux and very comfortable at a BASH shell prompt for its tens of thousands of uses, but I found the installation of NDIS wrapper to be the biggest pain in the rear end I've ever seen. I probably could have gotten it working if it didn't make me want to loving strangle a small puppy every time I started reading up about it. It probably would've helped a lot if I could, you know, use the wireless internet while I was trying to figure it out. Sit on my couch and relax. But no. I had to be huddled over my desk reading all kinds of conflicting, cryptic, incomplete instructions that never seemed to work with my system. It's one thing to have incomplete instructions because every distro is different, but to go through step by step exactly what to do but not WHY leaves me, with my obviously-different-from-the-author's setup in a quandary. Like I said, I'm sure I could've figured it out, but I had enough stress in my life that I didn't need to be sitting at home on the weekends with an urge to kill rising because of something so simple perplexing me. So I pulled the plug on that particular experiment and just went back to my Windows XP install eventually.

Now I have a new laptop with a hopefully-better-supported wireless card, an Intel 3945abg. I believe Intel either makes the drivers for this or supports the community that does. In any case, I don't want to deal with the hassle of configuring wireless for hours and hours. I want to sit on my couch and relax and watch movies and such while I play with Linux some more. For some reason the fact that I had to sit at my desk for even an hour with a wire attached just absolutely enraged me. And in that state of mind I wasn't going to figure out NDIS Wrapper any time soon. This kind of poo poo has been the killer for Linux for me for ages - a lack of out-of-the-box driver support and easy driver installation methods. Pretty much everything else I'm absolutely cool with. KDE and Gnome drive me crazy, so I use Fluxbox instead most of the time. I'm okay with poor applications in some areas and configuring text files and permissions in certain directories, but ask me to hunt around for drivers and driver installations that require kernel re-compiles? Go gently caress yourself! I'm not dealing with that poo poo! GRR.

Okay, I guess that was leading to a question: how is wireless support these days? I'm not too worried about graphics because this time around I got an nVidia card with Linux in mind when I decided to install it.

What I'm looking for in a Linux distro is easy package management/updating that's extremely stable. I'm not looking for many frills at all and I'm okay with a pretty stripped version of Linux, but if I have to install wireless drivers....I will loving kill someone.

The candidates I've been looking at are:
Fedora Core 7
Debian 4.0
Ubuntu - not sure which version number because I don't know exactly how stable/unstable each is
CentOS 5

What would you guys recommend for me and my driver-install-hating self?

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

TreFitty posted:

What would you guys recommend for me and my driver-install-hating self?

Try Ubuntu 7.04. The Intel 3945ab will work out of the box, and that version is the newest that's not in alpha/beta. 7.10 comes out in October (the version numbering goes by <year>.<month>, 7.10 = October 2007), but is in alpha right now.

You really shouldn't have too much of a problem, depending on your video card (and even that is pretty trivial at this point).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

invid posted:

By on the fly, I meant with the "/" still mounted.

I guess its not possible, after searching around :( Looks like I've to get a new HDD just to mount /vz.

You can always just make an iso with some of the free space and mount that.

Hacky, but it'll do what you need.