Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Silk
Feb 20, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
Just bought 'Man Bites Dog' pretty much because of this thread... Looking forward to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IndieRockLance
Jan 29, 2003

The devourer of worlds demands a Moon Pie to satiate his hunger!

LaptopGun posted:

Daunte, I agree with with all of Danga's recomendations. I especially recommend Brazil and The Third Man. To contribute others:

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (someone was bound to say it)
The Last Temptation of Christ
Ran (Hell, I like all three Kurasuwas here)
Throne of Blood (I love Macbeth, so maybe I'm a bit too attached to this one)
Traffic
Yojimbo
Videodrone

Brazil for my money is the greatest DVD release I have ever seen, let alone the best Criterion. I know some may disagree with me, but I really feel it is worth every cent. Of course, I didn't pay full price thanks to a sale I heard about through this humble thread...

If you're a fan of samurai movies, Harakiri and Sword of Doom are both incredible non-Kurosawa Samurai pictures. I think Sword of Doom has some of the most striking visuals of any samurai movie I've ever seen.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

It seems that Criterion will eventually re-release the mediocre Sam Fuller films Shock Corridor and The Naked Kiss.

Chip Butty Bixby
Feb 25, 2003

I'd buy that for $10

FitFortDanga posted:

It seems that Criterion will eventually re-release the mediocre Sam Fuller films Shock Corridor and The Naked Kiss.

It seems you are mistaken, those movies rule.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish
Speaking of Sam Fuller, I'm going to order his "early films" boxset from the Eclipse series in the near future. Any commentary on these movies?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Slackerish posted:

Speaking of Sam Fuller, I'm going to order his "early films" boxset from the Eclipse series in the near future. Any commentary on these movies?

If you mean do they have commentary tracks, then no. Eclipse films have no extras.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

FitFortDanga posted:

If you mean do they have commentary tracks, then no. Eclipse films have no extras.

I know. I was moreso wondering if anyone had seen the movies and had anything to say about them.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

November is Holy loving poo poo month.

#411:

#412:

#413:
allegedly Sawdust and Tinsel

Two movies I've been dying to see, and one of my favorite Bergmans.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

More info, just posted on their website:

BERLIN ALEXANDERPLATZ:

SPECIAL EDITION SEVEN-DISC SET FEATURES
* New high-definition digital transfer, from the 2006 restoration by the Fassbinder Foundation and Bavaria Media, and supervised and approved by director of photography Xaver Schwarzenberger
* Two new documentaries by Fassbinder Foundation president Juliane Lorenz: one featuring interviews with the cast and crew, the other on the restoration
* Hans Dieter Hartl's 1980 documentary The Making of "Berlin Alexanderplatz"
* Phil Jutzi's 1931, ninety-minute film of Alfred Doblin's novel, from a screenplay cowritten by Doblin himself
* New video interview with Peter Jelavich, author of Berlin Alexanderplatz: Radio, Film, and the Death of Weimar Culture
* New and improved English subtitle translation
* PLUS: An essay by filmmaker Tom Tykwer, reflections from Fassbinder, an interview with Schwarzenberger, and German author Thomas Steinfeld on the novel

SAWDUST AND TINSEL:

* New, restored high-definition digital transfer
* Audio commentary by Bergman scholar Peter Cowie
* Video introduction by Ingmar Bergman from 2003
* New and improved English subtitle translation
* PLUS: A new essay by critic John Simon and an appreciation by filmmaker Catherine Breillat

DRUNKEN ANGEL:

* New audio commentary featuring Japanese-film scholar Donald Richie
* A 30-minute documentary on the making of Drunken Angel
* A new video piece that looks at the challenges Kurosawa faced in making Drunken Angel
* PLUS: A booklet featuring essays by cultural historian Ian Buruma and a reprint from Kurosawa's Something Like an Autobiography

THE LADY VANISHES:

SPECIAL EDITION DOUBLE-DISC SET FEATURES:
* Audio commentary by film historian Bruce Eder
* Crook's Tour, a 1941 feature-length Charters and Caldicott adventure, available for the first time on home video, with Basil Radford and Naunton Wayne reprising their beloved The Lady Vanishes roles
* Excerpts from Francois Truffaut's legendary 1962 audio interview with Hitchcock
* Mystery Train, a new video essay about Hitchcock and The Lady Vanishes by scholar Leonard Leff (Hitchcock and Selznick: The Rich and Strange Collaboration of Alfred Hitchcock and David O. Selznick in Hollywood)
* Stills gallery of behind-the-scenes photos and promotional art
* PLUS: A new essays by critic Geoffrey O'Brien

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Aug 16, 2007

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I'm so stoked about these releases. Lady Vanishes is a definite double-dip with all those new features (Truffaut interview! an entire extra movie!). I'm not too wild about Fassbinder, so that one's a rental, but the other three are must-buys.

edit: Consider Mishima to be officially confirmed. It's mentioned in the latest blog entry.

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Aug 15, 2007

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish
I'm trying to decide which Cover Art I like more, The Lady Vanishes, or Drunken Angel.

Black Trombone
May 9, 2007

I say, do f. that s. squarely in the a., old fruit.

FitFortDanga posted:

November is Holy loving poo poo month.

#411:

You can say that again. Just when I was getting really pissed off that I couldn't find that thing anywhere, too. I also love the German Expressionism inspired cover.

Black Trombone fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Aug 16, 2007

Cold Fusion
May 27, 2001

Drunken Angel? I'm hard.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
The Lady Vanishes is a sale here. While I haven't seen a lot of British Hitchcock films yet (mainly because I don't want to see them on the loving awful public domain discs), this is my favorite of them. I hate getting into the "what's next?" routine, but I do hope that Criterion has more Hitchcock in the pipeline. Putting the excellent Selznicks in print would be great since I really want Rebecca. Then I can sell Slackerish my Notorious DVD for $50 :ssh:

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

I actually didn't find The Lady Vanishes to be anything more than an OK Hitchcock, but I'm really eager to see the other three.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

I may have to get "The Lady Vanishes" as I don't have it yet. The new release cover looks SO much better.

And "Drunken Angel" is a no-brainer for me.

Now if they would just release a "Early Kurosawa" set through Eclipse, I'd be in heaven.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
Battleship Potemkin is finally coming out, but from Kino instead of Criterion. It seems to be a really spiffy release, though... check out my DVD thread for the full specs.

Og Oggilby fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Aug 19, 2007

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Some rumors/news I saw at criterionforum:

* "According to a trade magazine Criterion will issue a 20th Anniversary Edition of The Last Emperor. According to the same source this edition will include a new 4-hour cut prepared by Bertolucci exclusively for Criterion."

* "We do plan to release Vampyr on DVD at some point, but a release date has not yet been scheduled. Please keep checking back! Thank you for taking the time to write to us; we really appreciate your kind words and support."

Not Criterion, but related:

* "Sony will be releasing a SE [of Life of Brian] on Blu-Ray and 2-disc SD-DVD on November 6."

Radio on the TV
Jul 9, 2001

Who will save our village?
I just wanted to let you guys know that pretty much all Criterion DVDs are 30% off on barnes and noble web store plus a little more off if you are a member. So, all 40 dollar dvds are only about 25 with free shipping. I am planning on picking up The Third Man, Army of Shadows, Naked, and Ikiru when I get my next paycheck.

Radio on the TV fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Aug 27, 2007

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

FitFortDanga posted:

Some rumors/news I saw at criterionforum:

* "According to a trade magazine Criterion will issue a 20th Anniversary Edition of The Last Emperor. According to the same source this edition will include a new 4-hour cut prepared by Bertolucci exclusively for Criterion."

* "We do plan to release Vampyr on DVD at some point, but a release date has not yet been scheduled. Please keep checking back! Thank you for taking the time to write to us; we really appreciate your kind words and support."

Not Criterion, but related:

* "Sony will be releasing a SE [of Life of Brian] on Blu-Ray and 2-disc SD-DVD on November 6."

Badass, I've wanted to see Vampyr ever since I saw that shot of the dude holding the scythe.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
The BluRay and new DVD editions from Sony will have the two commentaries and the deleted scenes.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Og Oggilby posted:

The BluRay and new DVD editions from Sony will have the two commentaries and the deleted scenes.

Just to clarify, Og is talking about Life of Brian here. The new edition has everything from the Criterion except the on-location documentary "The Pythons" (which is good, but it's not a huge loss). New features are:

* The Story of Brian – An All-New Hour-Long Revelation from Monty Python
* The Readthrough – An original illustrated 110 minute recording by The Pythons of their early screenplay in progress

I'll definitely get this whenever I get a Blu-Ray player. I'm really interested in that readthrough.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~
Wasn't there a website someone linked to with desktops made out of all the different Criterion covers? I remember seeing it a while ago, but haven't been able to find it since.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Mferkinwalter posted:

Wasn't there a website someone linked to with desktops made out of all the different Criterion covers? I remember seeing it a while ago, but haven't been able to find it since.

http://www.criteriondungeon.com/

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
Fuller's White Dog is basically confirmed in the Eclipse newsletter this week.

vertov
Jun 14, 2003

hello
I'm selling some Criterion DVDs along with a ton of other stuff in SA Mart.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2608658

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

vertov posted:

I'm selling some Criterion DVDs along with a ton of other stuff in SA Mart.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2608658

You're alive! :wth:

EDIT- Hurr

Slackerish fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Aug 29, 2007

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Slackerish posted:

You're alive! :wth:

Why are you selling all that stuff?

Read the thread he linked to... to pay for grad school.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

Man, I'm going crazy, Criterion had been more exciting than usual lately. There's just been so much good stuff coming out, all this stuff I've been waiting what feels like forever for.

I mean...
The Milky Way
Ivan's Childhood
La Jetée / Sans Soleil
Stranger than Paradise
Les Enfants Terribles
Breathless
Drunken Angel
Sawdust and Tinsel

And that doesn't even include the Eclipse label. It's so hard picking and choosing what to buy with my limited funds these days.

schwrzsnn
May 7, 2007

by Ozma
I've been meaning to expand my Criterion selection beyond Kurosawa and Bergman for some time now. Mouchette and Fire on the Plains seem to be up my alley, so I've taken the plunge on those. Any other recommendations as far as hopeless, bleak films go? My favorites are Apocalypse Now, Aguirre Wrath of God and The Seventh Seal, if that helps.

schwrzsnn fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Aug 31, 2007

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

schwrzsnn posted:

I've been meaning to expand my Criterion selection beyond Kurosawa and Bergman for some time now. Mouchette and Fire on the Plains seem to be up my alley, so I've taken the plunge on those. Any other recommendations as far as hopeless, bleak films go? My favorites are Apocalypse Now, Aguirre Wrath of God and The Seventh Seal, if that helps.

Kanal and Sansho the Bailiff are musts for you.

Others on the "bleak" tip (I'm assuming from your post that you've got Bergman and Kurosawa covered):

Bicycle Thieves
Day of Wrath
Fists in the Pocket
La Haine
Jigoku
Naked
Story of a Prostitute

schwrzsnn
May 7, 2007

by Ozma

FitFortDanga posted:

Kanal and Sansho the Bailiff are musts for you.

Others on the "bleak" tip (I'm assuming from your post that you've got Bergman and Kurosawa covered):

Bicycle Thieves
Day of Wrath
Fists in the Pocket
La Haine
Jigoku
Naked
Story of a Prostitute
Oh man, these sound like my cup of tea. Your suggestions are much appreciated. Now it's just a matter of payday rolling around. :)

Aegri Somnia
Sep 19, 2006

by Fragmaster
My current Criterion Collection:

Seven Samurai (original one, not the newly released version which I want)
Traffic
Brazil
Clean, Shaven

And practically every other Criterion is on my wish list on Amazon.

schwrzsnn
May 7, 2007

by Ozma

Aegri Somnia posted:

And practically every other Criterion is on my wish list on Amazon.
(Pssst...Barnes & Noble has them cheaper!)

Since Criterion has my disposable income for the foreseeable future, I might as well just register for a membership with B&N.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

schwrzsnn posted:

If.... Really, there's no reason for you to not see that movie, it seems right up your alley.

Seconding Naked as well.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

schwrzsnn posted:

I've mentioned The Vanishing over and over again on this board in a vain attempt to get it more attention, but it perfectly fits your definition of "hopeless" and "bleak" and then some. Just make sure to get the Criterion version and not the remake.

edit: I also watched The Man Who Fell to Earth recently and it has by far one of the best non-HD transfers I've ever seen (although I was watching it on an HD player so it was upconverted). Also, does anyone know why Criterion crops the image on the sides on some fullscreen movies, like the reissued The Third Man DVD?

Cacator fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Sep 1, 2007

MajorB
Jul 3, 2007
Another stupid '07er

Cacator posted:

edit: I also watched The Man Who Fell to Earth recently and it has by far one of the best non-HD transfers I've ever seen (although I was watching it on an HD player so it was upconverted). Also, does anyone know why Criterion crops the image on the sides on some fullscreen movies, like the reissued The Third Man DVD?

They don't crop it, they resize the image and add a black border ("windowboxing"). This is to prevent overscan on televisions. Unfortunately, for those viewing on properly calibrated televisions, computers or newer televisions, it's useless and just wastes resolution.

If you check out comparisons between the various releases of The Seven Samurai, you'll see that Criterion's recent "windowboxed" version has more image than other versions.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006
Criterion released The Fiend Without A Face, right? I was always curious of that because it seems like such an odd choice considering their usual stuff. How many other horror/sci-fi/monster movies have they done so far, and what?

My current criterion collection stands at Seven Samurai(the new edition), Kagemusha, and Onibaba. I really want the Yojimbo/Sanjuro set too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

People on Sunday is mentioned in the blog as an upcoming release.

Ace Rockhawk posted:

Criterion released The Fiend Without A Face, right? I was always curious of that because it seems like such an odd choice considering their usual stuff. How many other horror/sci-fi/monster movies have they done so far, and what?

These are all sci-fi/horror, or at least in the same ballpark:

Eyes Without a Face
The Blob
Equinox
Carnival of Souls
Sisters
The Atomic Submarine
Corridors of Blood
The Haunted Strangler
First Man Into Space
The Vanishing
Blood for Dracula