Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
The Order of the Stick: Countdown to Adventurers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
The Order of the Stick: Sigh, times are tough.

Azure city did drag on a bit but I think it really established the eminence of the bad guys as well as resolving, or at least killing off, some ongoing plot threads.

All in all rather satisfactory.

Having never actually played D&D I'm currently wondering how the gaming dynamic where characters are lost and new ones created will mesh with the needs of a storyline where such an event might not make a lot of sense.

Should be fun.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Tag Plastic posted:

Order of the Stick: 5 foot step forward, double move back

I like this title far too much.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Choke Babies Now posted:

I like this title far too much.

I vote for this as well.

farraday posted:

Having never actually played D&D I'm currently wondering how the gaming dynamic where characters are lost and new ones created will mesh with the needs of a storyline where such an event might not make a lot of sense

You mean how would it work in a game? When players' characters die they just roll up a new character and the DM figures out how to introduce the new character into the campaign. This might be by having them control an NPC that they had been working with, or they might meet them along the path of their adventure, or they might just happen to meet them at the next tavern they stop in and join up together for no reason.

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

wake me when the world is saved

bgaesop posted:

You mean how would it work in a game? When players' characters die they just roll up a new character and the DM figures out how to introduce the new character into the campaign. This might be by having them control an NPC that they had been working with, or they might meet them along the path of their adventure, or they might just happen to meet them at the next tavern they stop in and join up together for no reason.

"Hello. My name is Ri'dzzt. I would like to join your party."
"What a coincidence! We have just lost a member of our party, a dear friend named Zt'zdri. He was a Fighter/Ranger/Barbarian. Pray tell, what is your class?"
"Fighter/Ranger/Barbarian."
"Excellent! Despite never having met you before, I feel we can trust you with our lives."
"I accept. Don't bother to brief me on our current quest, I already know all about it."

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Since the Order is on hiatus, I feel its alright to bring up the comic nobody seems to like; Erfworld. I know there's a good comic there, under all the stupidity, and I'm probably giving it a better chance than most, but man his merchandise is so, so bad, I actually like the comic less because of how bad it is.

Like, one step below Hot Topic "the penguins steal my sanity" shirts bad. Erfworld:argh:

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

A MAN'S DREAM CAN NEVER DIE

ZorbaTHut posted:

"Hello. My name is Ri'dzzt. I would like to join your party."
"What a coincidence! We have just lost a member of our party, a dear friend named Zt'zdri. He was a Fighter/Ranger/Barbarian. Pray tell, what is your class?"
"Fighter/Ranger/Barbarian."
"Excellent! Despite never having met you before, I feel we can trust you with our lives."
"I accept. Don't bother to brief me on our current quest, I already know all about it."

I always liked how it was done in "The Gamers".

"Okay you guys see a mage. Remember you're in the ruins of an old evil castle so play this out"
"Hello. I see your party has no mage"
"Would you like to join us on our noble quest?"
"Yes...yes I would." *gets to his 3rd place in the marching order*

That whole movie is genius.

Mushrooman
Apr 16, 2003

Disco Dancin'

bgaesop posted:

Meet at the inn!

I'm sorry if it was already brought up, but what game is this?

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Mushrooman posted:

I'm sorry if it was already brought up, but what game is this?

Warlords the CCG. Fairly good game, but losing popularity rapidly. It also suffers from having too many expansions making it too complicated (kind of like DnD!) but this is one of the first cards ever made for it.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American

Shavnir posted:

I always liked how it was done in "The Gamers".

"Okay you guys see a mage. Remember you're in the ruins of an old evil castle so play this out"
"Hello. I see your party has no mage"
"Would you like to join us on our noble quest?"
"Yes...yes I would." *gets to his 3rd place in the marching order*

That whole movie is genius.

I missed out on seeing the Gamers II at Gencon when their viewing time got pushed back to 2AM because the only screening areas available were in the Anime section and those drat pedos can't keep a schedule or reserve appropriately sized rooms or do anything but cram their fat faggoty faces with pocky and AUGH I hate you anime losers :doom:

I saw the original gamers real early on before it was a big con hit since the editor/director Ben Dobyns is my friend's brother. I found them a VCR and saved the day for the viewing.

Amused Frog
Sep 8, 2006
Waah no fair my thread!

Wolfsheim posted:

Since the Order is on hiatus, I feel its alright to bring up the comic nobody seems to like; Erfworld. I know there's a good comic there, under all the stupidity, and I'm probably giving it a better chance than most, but man his merchandise is so, so bad, I actually like the comic less because of how bad it is.

Like, one step below Hot Topic "the penguins steal my sanity" shirts bad. Erfworld:argh:

I like Erfworld. There. I said it.

Although I haven't looked at the merchandise.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

bgaesop posted:

Warlords the CCG. Fairly good game, but losing popularity rapidly. It also suffers from having too many expansions making it too complicated (kind of like DnD!) but this is one of the first cards ever made for it.

I miss Warlords, it's a fun game but I never played after the first expansion. I actually have a card that's me, I know two of the three creators, so it's always been near and dear to me. I've never played the actual RPG though, I wonder if it's any good.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

rantmo posted:

I miss Warlords, it's a fun game but I never played after the first expansion. I actually have a card that's me, I know two of the three creators, so it's always been near and dear to me. I've never played the actual RPG though, I wonder if it's any good.

Whoah, like an official card or a custom card? They let you submit your own designs at one point, was it that deal? My friend got one published, but they changed it slightly:

It was originally called Rod and Tod.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

bgaesop posted:

Whoah, like an official card or a custom card?

An official one; Murgan. He was based on an old Changeling character I used to play, a redcap named Jack Morgan who was a warlord in a past live called "The Murgan". There's no picture at the link, but here's the card image:

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

rantmo posted:

An official one; Murgan. He was based on an old Changeling character I used to play, a redcap named Jack Morgan who was a warlord in a past live called "The Murgan". There's no picture at the link, but here's the card image:

Ugh changeling. Where Vampire players go to wear glitter.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

rantmo posted:

That is completely awesome. About the picture, though, that's why I was using the Temple of Lore:

The Temple of Lore is a fansite that is so good it got made into its own card:

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma
Order Of The Stick: And A Ten-Foot Pole

edit: Although I agree that "five-foot step forward, double-move back" is probably the best.

Robot Bastard fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Sep 3, 2007

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Tag Plastic posted:

Order of the Stick: 5 foot step forward, double move back

I'm behind this one too. In the spirit of things without being some silly, gushing reference to a strip.

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

wake me when the world is saved
five days until it lives again

Jon
Nov 30, 2004
Burlew has some really great D&D articles on roleplay for both players and GMs. If you're into D&D you should check them out.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

I actually liked today's Erfworld. No internet meme crap, and a punchline that got me to at least smile, if not outright laugh.

Get while the getting's good, I guess.

LuchadoresDelNixon
Feb 7, 2007

Moonbase Alpha provides a realistic simulation of life on a natural satellite

Choke Babies Now posted:

I actually liked today's Erfworld. No internet meme crap, and a punchline that got me to at least smile, if not outright laugh.

Get while the getting's good, I guess.

Right before he got yoinked, Manpower had his most badass moment. :sigh:

I'm still waiting for my comic, Burlew!

Amused Frog
Sep 8, 2006
Waah no fair my thread!
Well wait no more! It's up.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Bwahahah! 'Feather fall.' '... Dammit.'

I wonder if this will get Roy to take a level of wizard upon his ultimate return.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Oracle posted:

I wonder if this will get Roy to take a level of wizard upon his ultimate return.

A level of wizard and a ridiculously high chance of spell failure due to all his armor? I kind of doubt it.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.

Oracle posted:

Not to mention the XP penalty from cross-classing so late in his levels. That always bugged me about 3.5; it's a good rule to discourage twinkers but it forces regular players to lock into classes.

I think it's a 20% XP reduction off the top for having a multiclass character whose classes are not within 3 levels of each other. I can't check right now, though.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

Not to mention the XP penalty from cross-classing so late in his levels. That always bugged me about 3.5; it's a good rule to discourage twinkers but it forces regular players to lock into classes.

I think it's a 20% XP reduction off the top for having a multiclass character whose classes are not within 3 levels of each other. I can't check right now, though.

Roy is a single classed human though, so he wouldn't have a problem.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

I don't think he'd get that, being a human. I am right that penalty does not apply to humans and to 'favored calss' of other races right?

Primus
May 14, 2007

Greater than the sum of his parts.
That's right. A human's highest level class doesn't count for XP penalties. So you'd have to triple-class to start seeing a hit.

Oh God, why do I know this off the top of my head?

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

greatn posted:

I don't think he'd get that, being a human. I am right that penalty does not apply to humans and to 'favored calss' of other races right?

You're right, a human's "favored class" is the one they have the most levels in. They only suffer XP penalties if they have 3 more more base classes more than 1 level apart.

In a non-RPGA game, the favored class rules never come up outside of a DM's list of "We Are Not Using These Rules".

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

IMJack posted:

You're right, a human's "favored class" is the one they have the most levels in. They only suffer XP penalties if they have 3 more more base classes more than 1 level apart.

In a non-RPGA game, the favored class rules never come up outside of a DM's list of "We Are Not Using These Rules".

Tell that to my DM. He's a stickler.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Multiclassing rules, item saving throws, encumbrance rules, and spellbook costs are the most ignored rules in my experience.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

The new strip really made me wish Roy's dad wasn't dead, so that he could get pushed off of a cliff. Without Feather Fall.

Also: If the oath passes to Roy's sister, and he gets resurrected, is he on the hook again, or is he free and clear? Because I would love to see him just say, "Well, not my problem now, Dad."

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

A MAN'S DREAM CAN NEVER DIE

Choke Babies Now posted:

The new strip really made me wish Roy's dad wasn't dead, so that he could get pushed off of a cliff. Without Feather Fall.

Also: If the oath passes to Roy's sister, and he gets resurrected, is he on the hook again, or is he free and clear? Because I would love to see him just say, "Well, not my problem now, Dad."

He already said he's not doing it for the sake of the blood oath though.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Robot Bastard posted:

Order Of The Stick: And A Ten-Foot Pole

edit: Although I agree that "five-foot step forward, double-move back" is probably the best.

Order of the Stick: And The Celestial Mount You Rode In On.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
But you can't take a five foot step in any turn in which you move, right?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
God drat, but Eugene Greenhilt needs a beating, or at least a muzzle.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Wanderer posted:

This is why I hope Roy ignores whatever oath/vow is going on, if/when he comes back. Then, in a perfect world, his dad's spirit would reappear and get turned/rebuked/destroyed/banished/exorcised/something deserving of being such a self-righteous failure-pile. He's like a stage mother, only for adventurers. A dungeon father? Sure.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
I was really amused by how much Roy's dad was in the start of darkness book. He's such a jerk that even though he's good aligned he counts as a villian, haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma

Wanderer posted:

Seriously. "Well gee whiz, Dad, I saw about fifty dead Paladins jump up and beat Xykon's rear end even though they were ghosts, I guess you were just too busy to join in?"

Or "Yeah, right, blame my black rear end for things turning to poo poo. Not like the rear end in a top hat in charge of the city was dicking around pwnzing noobz instead of, I dunno, doing his drat job."

Maybe "Hey Dad, guess what? You gotta one-shot a Lich or you just piss him off. Pissed-off Liches are not good news. And guess what the sword you gave me DOESN'T DO?"