Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Komrade Hitlerstalin posted:

If there is only one MP3 audio track and hard subs then what's the point of using something else? The video stream data itself is identical. If it offends you just re-mux it to MKV yourself.
The avi container is flawed and archaic, and using newer codecs like h.264 only serve to force players to utilize hacks to get around the format's inability to do certain things like B-Frames.

It's fine for XviD more or less (though, again, for that hacks are still required), but it's just silly if you're encoding from a DVD source in h.264 to throw it in a container like avi.

CA's insistence on using hardsubs is their own prerogative, but it's not like the files originally started out that way. So why should the h.264 counterpart be forced to adhere to the standards they set for their XviD releases? I agree that using a mkv format with no softsubs is silly but there's no reason CA couldn't do that just because they haven't so far in any of their releases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Heard good things about this series, thinking of picking it up.

Should I just jump right to the 110 episode OVA series? Do any of the movies or other OVAs contribute anything? Are they best watched before the series, after it, not at all?

Lastly, Central Anime does it the best?

Thanks in advance for tolerating the newbish questions. :)

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Amante posted:

Should I just jump right to the 110 episode OVA series? Do any of the movies or other OVAs contribute anything? Are they best watched before the series, after it, not at all?

CA is the only group that's fansubbed the complete series, except maybe some bootleg DVDs or something if I recall.

Watch the 110 episode series, it's the main story. Then follow up with the movies and other OVAs as they are released (so far just the first movie and the first episode of the 52 episode prequel OVA are out).

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

If there is only one MP3 audio track and hard subs then what's the point of using something else? The video stream data itself is identical. If it offends you just re-mux it to MKV yourself.

If they're doing h.264, they should be encoding the audio to AAC and putting it in an MP4 container, like you're supposed to do with these things. Sticking with AVI is retarded.

patricius
Apr 17, 2006

sicut patribus sit deus nobis

Amante posted:

Not only is CA the only group with the entire main series subbed, they also have fantastic scripts. There's no karaoke or nifty fonts or anything like that, but they've got it where it counts. They did a great job.

Pretty much all of us here watched the 110 episode series first, since nothing else is completely subbed. (There might be HK subs of the OVAs, but I doubt they're worth suffering through.) The 110 episode series was also the first thing produced, so there aren't any prerequisites as far stuff to view first.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Nate RFB posted:

The avi container is flawed and archaic, and using newer codecs like h.264 only serve to force players to utilize hacks to get around the format's inability to do certain things like B-Frames.

It's fine for XviD more or less (though, again, for that hacks are still required), but it's just silly if you're encoding from a DVD source in h.264 to throw it in a container like avi.

CA's insistence on using hardsubs is their own prerogative, but it's not like the files originally started out that way. So why should the h.264 counterpart be forced to adhere to the standards they set for their XviD releases? I agree that using a mkv format with no softsubs is silly but there's no reason CA couldn't do that just because they haven't so far in any of their releases.

Chris Knight posted:

If they're doing h.264, they should be encoding the audio to AAC and putting it in an MP4 container, like you're supposed to do with these things. Sticking with AVI is retarded.

Quibble over the outdatedness of AVI if you want, but unless you're using a dedicated device like a PSP or something, there is no reason to pick MP4 over MKV. And in that kind of case you're going to be limited in your resolution choices and whatever.

If you're encoding from a DVD source (these are LDs anyway aren't they?) there is no reason to recompress the audio, and MP4 can't contain Dolby Digital or DTS tracks.

I mean in principle I don't know why people want to keep around AVI after Matroska came into its own, but in practice the hacks do work, so I don't see what difference it makes to the end user experience.

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma
Formats: Whatever. I just want to push the button and have it go.

For new guys: heh, heh. While you're watching this series, imagine waiting FOUR MONTHS to get the next episode...

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004
After the greatness of the series I wasn't feeling much motivation in watching anything else for fear of spoiling the fond memories, but the first ep of the gaiden story seemed to hit all the right notes. The subject matter also flows quite well from some points made near the end of the series, mainly the importance of Reinhard's sister.

Guess we get to enjoy LoGH a bit longer :unsmith:

Mac109
May 23, 2007
I agree the first ep of gaiden hit all the right notes for me as well, Honestly if gaiden is nothing more than Reinhard rising through the ranks I'll be happy. Really the series didnt need anything more to make it great but as long as LoGH continues to deliver I'll continue to watch.

abbad0n
Jan 25, 2005
Gaiden Episode 2

Gaiden Episode 2 (h264) (yes it is an avi - send complaints to CA if you must)

Eronarn
May 15, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So if we are going to make a new thread due to the entire series being subbed, we might want to look into putting out a banner for it, but before we can do that we should figure out what could be in the OP (maybe summaries of just the really major characters, since there are WAY too many to hit all of them). I think it'd be cool to put together something on youtube with the 'historical' clips of the series that Julian watched on the way to Earth that detail the universe, but perhaps something that leaps right into the action would be better? It's not necessarily a show that shows what to expect out of it from the start, after all. A three episode test is really not sufficient.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Eronarn posted:

So if we are going to make a new thread due to the entire series being subbed, we might want to look into putting out a banner for it, but before we can do that we should figure out what could be in the OP (maybe summaries of just the really major characters, since there are WAY too many to hit all of them). I think it'd be cool to put together something on youtube with the 'historical' clips of the series that Julian watched on the way to Earth that detail the universe, but perhaps something that leaps right into the action would be better? It's not necessarily a show that shows what to expect out of it from the start, after all. A three episode test is really not sufficient.

A thread reboot would be cool. I think as far as character introduction goes, what would have helped me the most going into the show the first time would have been a somewhat tiered list for the characters introduced in the first two story arcs; not necessarily in-depth descriptions of them (perhaps just how they relate to Reinhard/Yang), but who to pay attention to as significant, long term players. While this a type of spoiler, I think it's helpful to get people through those first episodes. Otherwise you're left with a somewhat false impression that if you can't remember who everyone is and what they're doing, you're going to somehow miss something important.

Something along the lines of:
Empire / Alliance
Reinhard / Yang
Kircheis, Annerose / Julian
Mittermeyer, Reuental, Oberstein / Attenborough, Cazellnu, Poplan, Schenkopp

Important other political guys:
Truniht, Rubinsky, Earth Church (no personable figure is given)

That list can be debated for sure, but I think any such debate should focus on: is there anyone not on the list who is introduced in the first 2 main story arcs (Battle of Astate and Iserlohn Capture) that should be? For instance, should Jessica be on it? She's a character that certainly is vitally important to the story, but she doesn't last very long. Frederica and Hilda certainly belong on any list of important characters, but neither are really introduced early on.

Emphasizing that people need to watch at least 8 episodes (ep 7 is the actual capture of Iserlohn, ep 8 is the imperial reaction to it as well as some important emphasis on Reinhard's ambitions) to even have an accurate idea of what the show is about is definitely one of the most important points to be made. Encouraging patience and asserting the payoff should be central to the new OP.

Also, I think Man of Wax's OP is well written and full of good info, but as he disclaims, it is a bit on the :words: side. I really like his second and third paragraphs as a general overview of what makes the show special. Perhaps these could be jammed into the new OP with his permission. The rest of it, including the character descriptions, would probably benefit from a different layout.

aparmenideanmonad fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Sep 13, 2007

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer

I mean in principle I don't know why people want to keep around AVI after Matroska came into its own

because winamp doesn't play mkv and I like adding things to my massive thousand hours of anime playlist that I've had going for a couple years now. It's like a diary of what I've watched and other players have less convenient playlist stuffs. :)

Eronarn
May 15, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I think Bucock and Sitolet might deserve a bit of intro on the Alliance side. They show up in the first few episodes, don't they?

It'd be cool to get a screencap of every named/recurring character and put it all in one huge image. It'd be one or two hundred people, at my guess.

EDIT: probably also Dominique because we have to show that the show isn't all dudes

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

cooldude2.0 posted:

because winamp doesn't play mkv and I like adding things to my massive thousand hours of anime playlist that I've had going for a couple years now. It's like a diary of what I've watched and other players have less convenient playlist stuffs. :)

Well you're weird and who uses Winamp to watch videos anyway? I mean live and let live, but how can something in this day and age not play MKVs? I would think the drawbacks outweigh the benefits in that scenario.

abbad0n
Jan 25, 2005
Gaiden Episode 3

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer

Well you're weird and who uses Winamp to watch videos anyway? I mean live and let live, but how can something in this day and age not play MKVs? I would think the drawbacks outweigh the benefits in that scenario.

even windows picture and fax viewer plays mkv files (albeit without softsub support) :(

Mac109
May 23, 2007
another great episode of gaiden. Really I cant hope for more with Gaiden since all I really wanted to see was some great backstory of how Reinhard and Kircheis rose through the ranks, and thats exactly what the show delivers. I am wondering if eventually they are going to brake off and show Yang rising through the ranks as well, and that would be cool, but if its all about Reinhard and Kircheis Im still happy~

The_Guy
Mar 1, 2004

Eventually they always run out of other people's tiles.

abbad0n posted:

Gaiden Episode 3

And here I was thinking Gaiden would be lower key and less awesome than the original.

Reinhard is fantastically ruthless.

Mac109
May 23, 2007

The_Guy posted:

And here I was thinking Gaiden would be lower key and less awesome than the original.

Reinhard is fantastically ruthless.

what, how could you think anything with Reinhard would be less awesome? Thankfully Gaiden shows that Legends of the Galactic Heroes can continue to entertain us for years~ --- I say years because I'm assuming thats how long it will take for it to be subbed :(

abbad0n
Jan 25, 2005

Mac109 posted:

what, how could you think anything with Reinhard would be less awesome? Thankfully Gaiden shows that Legends of the Galactic Heroes can continue to entertain us for years~ --- I say years because I'm assuming thats how long it will take for it to be subbed :(

Unfortunately that is probably the best case scenario. I don't even want to consider the worst.

abbad0n
Jan 25, 2005
Gaiden Episode 4 is out.

Edit: link text edited for clarity between gaidens.

abbad0n fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Nov 8, 2007

Mac109
May 23, 2007
and its another great episode. I love how Reinhard acts like he's oblivious to everything only to fool the other guy. Plus this definately shows how much Reinhard loves his sister, he was ready to take out that whole guys family (because I know that he knew about the high treason laws) just to take out any threats to his sister. The witness also made the right move as well, I would have felt bad for the guys family and I think thats why he decided not to report on it.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

abbad0n posted:

Gaiden 4 is out.

Sweet. Gaiden really is shaping up to be a great series.

abbad0n
Jan 25, 2005
Gaiden 2 Episode 1

Mac109
May 23, 2007

abbad0n posted:

Gaiden 2 Episode 1

2-1 = 5 I assume? anyways awesome, I can never get enough LoGH~

The Therminador
Mar 31, 2004

Nuh uh, there are 2 Gaiden series, of 25 or 26 episodes each.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Mac109 posted:

2-1 = 5 I assume? anyways awesome, I can never get enough LoGH~

Yeah, there are mini storylines and CA will be numbering episodes within storylines.

"Encoding Gaiden second story line 1-2 tonight (In both normal and h264) - From now on when I refer to a story line I will use the story line number...i.e. for the next release I would call it Gaiden 2 eps 1...and for the next story line it'll be Gaiden 3. The numbers in each story line will always be 1-4 unless a story line goes shorter or longer obviously.

Look for Gaiden 2 Eps 1 on Thursday."

Before we were on the 4-chapter "Silver-White Valley" arc, now we're on chapter 1 of the "Dreams of the Morning, Songs of the Night" arc. 2.1 comes consecutively after 1.4.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
I used to follow this show but somehow it dropped off the radar for me, now id like to get into the spacey shooty action once more and i wonder if someone here could help me, the last thing i rememberd about the show was the democratic empire had fallen and at the same time, Yang Wenly had retaken that fortress thingy through some smooth Wenly moves and i was wondering when that was episode wise?

abbad0n
Jan 25, 2005
That was faster then I expected.

Gaiden 2 Episode 2: xvid h264

gerogarygaygaygay
May 30, 2004

by DocEvil

Thors Bitch! posted:

I used to follow this show but somehow it dropped off the radar for me, now id like to get into the spacey shooty action once more and i wonder if someone here could help me, the last thing i rememberd about the show was the democratic empire had fallen and at the same time, Yang Wenly had retaken that fortress thingy through some smooth Wenly moves and i was wondering when that was episode wise?

somewhere in the 50s if I remember. It'd be worth rewatching the whole thing to catch up on the storylines.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Jeez, it's turning into Law & Order: Empire Edition :)

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Chris Knight posted:

Jeez, it's turning into Law & Order: Empire Edition :)

And getting boring. They're going to turn Reinhard into a Mary Sue at this rate.

The Therminador
Mar 31, 2004

Some of the Gaiden story arcs definitely are better than others, it's not all as uniformly good as the main storyline.

abbad0n
Jan 25, 2005
Gaiden 2 Episode 3: xvid h264

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

abbad0n posted:

Gaiden 2 Episode 3: xvid h264

They're really cranking this segment out. Here's to hoping for a bit more substance in ep3.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

abbad0n posted:

Episode 104

I was just consolidating all these DVD backups back to my external hard drive, and I noticed that I was missing 104 :xd:

abbad0n
Jan 25, 2005
Gaiden 2 Episode 4: xvid h264

At the rate this is going maybe CA will finish before 2009.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Wow, that was a really depressing ending for this arc. I feel like they were trying to cover it up with the whole Kircheis part at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I finally made myself some time and watched the first episode.

Are all 100+ episodes as good as the first one?