Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?

girlscoutdropout posted:

I want those enormous bunnies!

are you sure? just imagine if they weren't litterbox trained. Thats a LOT of bun poo. Just sayin....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Not a problem. Buns train pretty easily. It's in their nature.

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

In my spare time I hypnotize bunnies.

Deceptor101 posted:

are you sure? just imagine if they weren't litterbox trained. Thats a LOT of bun poo. Just sayin....

Just imagine how much fun it would be to hug that bunny though. It would be worth it.

(I know you shouldn't "hug" bunnies, but just imagine if you could)

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

Update on the bunnies that needed to be fostered:

The mom and dad and now THREE babies are safe in a foster home (Bunny Rescue). 2 more babies died because the shelter just didn't know how to take care of them. This now makes 35+ bunnies this lady has up for adoption. If you know anyone who wants to adopt in Tennessee (or surrounding states) please let me know!!

Chiken n' Waffles
Mar 11, 2001
My bunny likes to sleep in his first litter box so I bought him a second and put it where he's stacking up his poo's. Should I put some poos and pee'd on chips in the 2nd box to let him know that's where he's supposed to do his business?

-Also, is there a certain place buns should be petted? My bun comes over to me and lets me stroke him for awhile but I'm not sure if there is any special place buns like?

Chiken n' Waffles fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Sep 13, 2007

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
my back is killing me! I've been sleeping with the buns in my sister's room since she's not living with us and holy hell. They don't poo or pee in her room on her bed - even though I've been sleeping on it for the last two weeks - no, just in my bed. So now I'm going to step up the littertraining again, I guess. I don't think that a tarp will deter them since I was using a polyurethane bed cover and they didn't mind that, but we'll see how it goes. Really. I'm so pissed about this and heartbroken every time more pee shows up. :(

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

Chiken n' Waffles posted:

My bunny likes to sleep in his first litter box so I bought him a second and put it where he's stacking up his poo's. Should I put some poos and pee'd on chips in the 2nd box to let him know that's where he's supposed to do his business?

If he's not using either box, sure. But it's perfectly normal to have one clean box for snoozing/hay munching and one box which is used as the "dirty" box.

luscious posted:

I'm so pissed about this and heartbroken every time more pee shows up.

They may NEVER get the hang of this. You may have to either confine them to a non-bed area, or use fences to block access to the bed. I had one rabbit whose problem was chewing rather than peeing - she would chew the sheets right down to and through the mattress any time she could. She never did learn that it was not ok, so I basically had to use a an exercise pen to block off that half of the room if I was not in there. And even then, if I forgot and walked out of the room without putting the fence back up, I'd come back in to find her on the bed.

If you don't like the look of the fence-across-the-room, maybe you could get a canopy bed and keep the curtains down...

emozilla
May 26, 2007
SIEG HEIL BOY I'M FROM SOUTH GERMANY
Just got my first bunny about two months ago.

His name is Webster. Okay, my question for the bunny experts: Webster never peed in his litter box, always in a different corner, and even when I moved it to that corner of the cage he peed in a different one. I let him run around my room and he hasn't (visibly) ever peed anywhere. Would I be safe in letting him have more of the house to run around?

Also, anyone have any good electric cord bunnyproofing tips? In my room I was able to make them all too high for him but I don't know if I will be able to do that for all the house.

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

emozilla posted:

His name is Webster. Okay, my question for the bunny experts: Webster never peed in his litter box, always in a different corner, and even when I moved it to that corner of the cage he peed in a different one. I let him run around my room and he hasn't (visibly) ever peed anywhere. Would I be safe in letting him have more of the house to run around?

Also, anyone have any good electric cord bunnyproofing tips? In my room I was able to make them all too high for him but I don't know if I will be able to do that for all the house.

Aww he is adorable!! Be sure to get him neutered as soon as he's old enough (unless he already is). This will control the litter habits even more, also when boy bunnies go through puberty they love to spray pee everywhere, and man are they good at it. You may just have to put a litter box in every corner. Young bunnies (which he looks to be) really need more litter boxes at first.

About letting him have more room, that's really up to you. I'd still put even more litter boxes in whatever area he has to run around.

I use cord protectors (sold at Radio Shack) around all my cords. They are awful to put on, but have worked so far. You also can use aquarium tubing if you cut it lengthwise.

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

So I've cleaned the clothes off my floor but it's impossible to not have pee-on-able things on my floor because I sleep on the floor. Er. I sleep sort of Korean-style, with blankets and mats straight on the floor, not on a mattress. Very comfy, incidentally.

I'm just keeping a very very close eye on my bun when she's running around, and I think she mostly gets the concept of the litter box; she wandered out the door to the living room (you think you've closed the door and you blink and the next second a fat bunny has smushed through the crack :sigh: -- I was too impressed to be mad) and she pooped and scampered right back to her litter box, I assume to finish her business.

As for where to pet bunnies: mine loves to have her nose stroked. I feel like I've read that's not normal, but she headbutts me until I start stroking her nose, so, uh. Yeah. It's so cute. :)

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

angelicism posted:

As for where to pet bunnies: mine loves to have her nose stroked. I feel like I've read that's not normal, but she headbutts me until I start stroking her nose, so, uh. Yeah. It's so cute. :)

That's how I was taught to always pet a bunny. They also usually like their "cheeks" to be stroked too. Although only one of my bunnies likes her face being touched.

KracKiwi
Mar 29, 2002

:byodood: well excuse me, princess!
So I went into the kitchen around 5AM for a snack, and accidentally interrupted a late night/early morning meeting.

Note to self: Close bird's (Judy's) cage door and push in chairs before going to sleep.

Pippin!

Doing laps around my girlfriend.

Goofy looking, blubbery grooming.

Recent photo of my sister holding Pippin.

And for comparison, 4 years ago from when we just got her.

She was so small, drat.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

KracKiwi posted:

Pippin!

Goofy looking, blubbery grooming.

Recent photo of my sister holding Pippin.

send help! Your rabbit is being swallowed by her dewlap!

Solar Jetman
Dec 13, 2004

monsters get slain

KracKiwi posted:

So I went into the kitchen around 5AM for a snack, and accidentally interrupted a late night/early morning meeting.

What a cute fatty!

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

So Annie refused to come out from under my roommates bed before I left for work. (She's now been pretty much banned from that room unless i have an hour before going anywhere) so I just made sure that her passageway to her cage couldn't close and went off to work and hoped for the best. I came home and the ONLY thing she'd chewed, was my limited edition signed comic book. WTF BUN?! Everything else was fine. Worst part was, I really wanted to be angry at her, but she's been cuter and friendlier than ever so I can't! Gah bunnies!

Update! Pictures:

(yeah I like CAD, it wasn't THAT important a limited comic)
Note the water damage from the drool, she was loving it!

and here she is being the little diva for attention that she is, with her chin as low as possible in complete bliss from the petting:

Deceptor101 fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Sep 16, 2007

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

so Bitsy and I had another scare today. Earlier I saw her (possibly doing something bad) and when I went to pet her she freaked and tried to run away. But her back legs slipped out from behind her and she slid on her belly and then ran into my sister's room and onto the bed. When I followed her I saw that her baby paw was bleeding. Not badly but a somewhat constant light trickle. She wouldn't let me touch her but when I finally caught her (thinking it was something superbad since that's just how I think when it comes down to my darlings getting hurt) I saw that it was just a nail that got broken off. My poor baby. So I had her tranced, got my brother to get me some flour, put it on her nail and then let her go. Now she's okay. She's interested in raisins again and is walking around (though a little bit tenderly on her paw). I know it's okay but it still freaked me the gently caress out.

Deceptor101 posted:

Update! Pictures:

(yeah I like CAD, it wasn't THAT important a limited comic)
Note the water damage from the drool, she was loving it!

oh man. There have been times when Bitsy has been in my roommate's room and has had her pick as far as books to chew goes. She ignored all the books EXCEPT for the library book that my roommate had from the university library. She then went on to chew the only book that was being lent to us by someone else (The Vice Guide to SDRnR). Then she chewed a book that was my dad's that he got 10 years before I was born (though it was already falling apart) but left all my books alone. I don't keep any books in chewing range anymore.
Paterson hasn't chewed anything since we've moved back into my parents house except. Get this. A giant hole in the wall.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

luscious posted:

Paterson hasn't chewed anything since we've moved back into my parents house except. Get this. A giant hole in the wall.

That's awesome. As far as Bitsy's toe goes, Annie actually had a very similar thing happen earlier this summer. If you're doing well on cash, you'll probably want to take her to the vet and maybe get some antibiotics. Although did the nail break like in half or did it break to the skin. I think it's a big difference. Annie's broke to the skin and it took a while to heal, the nail still hasn't grown back fully. (speaking of which i REALLY need to clip hers, but she doesn't trance well). Hope Bitsy is doing well :)

You Are
Dec 1, 2006

We Todd Ed.
Sugar on top of kitty-thing...

Sugar in front of kitty-thing...

What a little Sugarloaf. Blue eyes, too. Sugar does something I've never seen another rabbit do: He waves.

When he wants attention or when greeting me, he alternates rearing up his front paws very rapidly, sometimes against the plastic of the cage to make the clicking noise. He does this outside of the cage as well. I think this is bunny language for "I want attention".

He'll "wave" at me when he wants me to play with him or follow him. Usually, it's so I can follow him to his favorite lounge spot for petting.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Deceptor101 posted:

That's awesome. As far as Bitsy's toe goes, Annie actually had a very similar thing happen earlier this summer. If you're doing well on cash, you'll probably want to take her to the vet and maybe get some antibiotics. Although did the nail break like in half or did it break to the skin. I think it's a big difference. Annie's broke to the skin and it took a while to heal, the nail still hasn't grown back fully. (speaking of which i REALLY need to clip hers, but she doesn't trance well). Hope Bitsy is doing well :)

it didn't break into the skin, I don't think. My uncle is a vet but doesn't treat bunnies but I'm sure that he'd be okay to look at her if he had to (how different is a cat nail then a bunny nail, right?). For now she seems okay. I bet it's still smarting since she's being sitting still. But she does that anyway. I'm keeping an eye on her but she's walking on it and isn't licking it excessively. I think she mostly scared herself, more than anything else. She didn't scream or anything so that's good. She didn't even flinch when I put the flour on it so yeah.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
So now Momo is neutered! And it only cost me $70 at a low-cost spay-neuter place.

Now I am debating on getting him a friend. At the zoo, there are two female rabbits essentially on Death Row; unless someone adopts them, they're gator or snake food (must love how the AZA won't hear about that!). I can't afford them both (with spaying), but I think I can get one. Plus, Momo has been around these girls before, and they seemed to get along great.

Good idea to get her before she's chow, and Momo's so soon after being fixed?

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

luscious posted:

it didn't break into the skin, I don't think. My uncle is a vet but doesn't treat bunnies but I'm sure that he'd be okay to look at her if he had to (how different is a cat nail then a bunny nail, right?). For now she seems okay. I bet it's still smarting since she's being sitting still. But she does that anyway. I'm keeping an eye on her but she's walking on it and isn't licking it excessively. I think she mostly scared herself, more than anything else. She didn't scream or anything so that's good. She didn't even flinch when I put the flour on it so yeah.

Sounds like it might be less severe than Annie's was, I'm sure your uncle could help you too, all they did for her was cut a bit of the hair away and clean it up and cut the nail back until it wasn't broken. So basically as long as people there know how to handle a bun without dropping her, should be fine.

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

TheDeadKnow posted:

Not sure if I completely understand if you're asking a question or not. But I did want to say go ahead and get the zoo bunny, just don't try to do any bonding until Momo is 100% healed. If any fighting happens it could rip the stitches. It's always best for 2 potential bunny lovers to just be near one in each other for a couple weeks before bonding anyways.

Are the two zoo bunnies bonded? I guess this is kind of a dumb question because it doesn't really matter if you break them up if they are both destined to be dinner. Saving one is better than none!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

girlscoutdropout posted:

Not sure if I completely understand if you're asking a question or not. But I did want to say go ahead and get the zoo bunny, just don't try to do any bonding until Momo is 100% healed. If any fighting happens it could rip the stitches. It's always best for 2 potential bunny lovers to just be near one in each other for a couple weeks before bonding anyways.

Are the two zoo bunnies bonded? I guess this is kind of a dumb question because it doesn't really matter if you break them up if they are both destined to be dinner. Saving one is better than none!

I think the two girls are, yes...they are very friendly to each other, but there is another keeper at the zoo who I might be able to convince to take the other girl.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

Ok so You Are's post about the nail reminded me of my growing-more-urgent-every-day issue that at the moment I have little to no knowledge of how to clip Annie's nails. When she had her tear, they clipped them for me, but they've now grown back and I think they're really getting to her. She only trances if I hold her stomach and she comes out of it quite fast. Also I guess you could say I'm afraid of cutting them too short. She's not too good at sitting THAT still upside down. If only I could clip them when shes in her above position. Anyone have any tips? Is it possible to do without trancing? like just taking her in your lap and grabbing her paw? I know I could get them cut by the vet, but I'd like to A: save money, and B: be self-sufficient. Any tips? Annie is starting to warm up to my roommate, maybe she'd trance well with him petting and me holding and cutting? I dunno :(

MrMoose
Jan 4, 2003

Happy Happy Joy Joy
Oh good god, I need to stop reading all these pet threads.

I'm getting to the point where I'll need to build an ark to house all the pets I want :(

Anyways, thanks for this thread -- I'm enjoying reading up about each and every pet possibility before I go out and get a pet of some kind that'll be the best fit for me :)

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

Deceptor101 posted:

Ok so You Are's post about the nail reminded me of my growing-more-urgent-every-day issue that at the moment I have little to no knowledge of how to clip Annie's nails. When she had her tear, they clipped them for me, but they've now grown back and I think they're really getting to her. She only trances if I hold her stomach and she comes out of it quite fast. Also I guess you could say I'm afraid of cutting them too short. She's not too good at sitting THAT still upside down. If only I could clip them when shes in her above position. Anyone have any tips? Is it possible to do without trancing? like just taking her in your lap and grabbing her paw? I know I could get them cut by the vet, but I'd like to A: save money, and B: be self-sufficient. Any tips? Annie is starting to warm up to my roommate, maybe she'd trance well with him petting and me holding and cutting? I dunno :(

From what I've been told the nail shouldn't be longer than where the fur ends on the paw. Unless her nails are grossly overgrown (which I doubt) this should be a good rule. The longer the nail is the longer the quick will grow out.

I don't know any other way to do it other than trancing. I imagine if she's okay with you touching her paws you could do it with her sitting normally.

If you go to a vet please make sure whoever clips the nails knows what they're doing. I took my bun to the vet and I didn't know the vet tech was clipping the nails and she clipped all of them so short and Lucy screamed. It was horrifying. They all bled. It's been a little over 4 months since that happened and they are just now at a normal length.

Also if you do it at home make sure to keep some cornstarch handy in case you do clip too short.

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.

girlscoutdropout posted:

If you go to a vet please make sure whoever clips the nails knows what they're doing. I took my bun to the vet and I didn't know the vet tech was clipping the nails and she clipped all of them so short and Lucy screamed. It was horrifying. They all bled. It's been a little over 4 months since that happened and they are just now at a normal length.

Does Lucy have black nails? Otherwise, there's just no goddamn excuse for clipping the quick more than one or two accidents because of wriggling

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

TheDeadKnow posted:

So now Momo is neutered! And it only cost me $70 at a low-cost spay-neuter place.

Now I am debating on getting him a friend. At the zoo, there are two female rabbits essentially on Death Row; unless someone adopts them, they're gator or snake food (must love how the AZA won't hear about that!). I can't afford them both (with spaying), but I think I can get one. Plus, Momo has been around these girls before, and they seemed to get along great.

Don't forget that it will take at least 30 days for Momo's hormones to die down. Don't try ANY intros prior to that time, or you're likely to have to start over. If you take one of these girls, I'd recommend that you use the 30 day period to quarantine her (perfect time for a spay too). You don't want to risk her having any bugs, internal or external, and transmitting that to Momo. Kitten Revolution is a good choice because it kills almost all internal as well as external parasites, and 30 days should show you if she has any URIs or similar.

You Are
Dec 1, 2006

We Todd Ed.
Girlscout advised me to seek help on this thread. Thank you.

I am seriously considering adopting a rabbit as a companion for the one I currently have. If anyone with experience could PM me/reply on the forums with good advice regarding owning more than one rabbit, please feel free! I need to convince my mother that owning another rabbit is a good decision. We have the space, I have money, my rabbit is not messy, and he loves human companionship as it is...but rabbits are social creatures. I always thought it was sensible to own two or more rabbits at a time, not one.

This thread should explain my situation.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2627597

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

this site has pictures and techniques. My favourite is the bunny burrito. Works every time.

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

Tickle Me Emo posted:

Does Lucy have black nails? Otherwise, there's just no goddamn excuse for clipping the quick more than one or two accidents because of wriggling

Yes she does. Solid black from head to toe..nail.

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

alucinor posted:

Don't forget that it will take at least 30 days for Momo's hormones to die down. Don't try ANY intros prior to that time, or you're likely to have to start over. If you take one of these girls, I'd recommend that you use the 30 day period to quarantine her (perfect time for a spay too). You don't want to risk her having any bugs, internal or external, and transmitting that to Momo. Kitten Revolution is a good choice because it kills almost all internal as well as external parasites, and 30 days should show you if she has any URIs or similar.

I totally forgot about this very important fact. I actually was told it takes 6-8 weeks for all the hormones to exit their system. Either way, you need to wait.

luscious posted:

this site has pictures and techniques. My favourite is the bunny burrito. Works every time.

Oh yes! I forgot about this as well. I've used it with other bunnies and I think I'll try it with Lucy (if her nails ever need trimming again grr). She's just now getting used the idea of being picked up and doesn't trance well at all. I wonder if she'd be more comfy in a burrito. Thankfully she seems to have gotten over her traumatic nail clipping event because she lets me touch her paws without any problem. She's very trusting, she lets me touch her tail and everything, kind of rare with bunnies.

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

I have a question...has anyone tried using those "pet wipes" for their bunny's backside? Jack is still overweight (he was just kept in a cage with no play time in his previous home) and has a hard time keeping his private area clean. I've been trying to keep this area trimmed, but it's kind of hard to do on your own. I've seen "pet wipes" that are suppose to remove "animal odors from anal and other glandular secretions" (doesn't that sound appetizing?) I'm not sure if the smell from Jack is "anal secretions" or just urine, or both. Either way, do you think these would work on bunnies or is there any way they could harm a bunny?

You Are
Dec 1, 2006

We Todd Ed.
I would consult a vet as to what chemicals act abrasively towards rodents. Because this is "pet wipes", you can assume that the formula is different from Cottonelle or other people brands. It doesn't specify what kind of animal to use it on, though? I've never heard of animals bigger than a rabbit needing a specially made buttwipe, so I wouldn't doubt it being for delicate animals.

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

You Are posted:

I would consult a vet as to what chemicals act abrasively towards rodents. Because this is "pet wipes", you can assume that the formula is different from Cottonelle or other people brands. It doesn't specify what kind of animal to use it on, though? I've never heard of animals bigger than a rabbit needing a specially made buttwipe, so I wouldn't doubt it being for delicate animals.

The ones I saw didn't specify a certain pet nor say not to use it on any pet specifically. I'm sure it's marketed towards cats and dogs though.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

This is my bunny Billy Idol

I've had the hardest time finding any kind of source for rabbit care information that didn't contradict another, but really I think he's doing fine so far. Doesn't poop all over the place, loves running around and playing, licks my pants, will fall asleep anywhere and when I'm sitting on the floor he'll come and sit in my lap which I'm sure isn't bad for only having had him 3 weeks. Oh and fortunately I have a lot of high shelves to put my books.

Somebody told me about a rotten onion smell on (as of yet) unneutered males and dear jesus they weren't kidding around. Does anybody know if this might have anything to do with me switching to a different kind of hay or is it just hormones pure and simple?

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

You Are posted:

I use wipes from Target. They have a dye free, aloe free, alcohol free, perfume free box for about 2 bucks. But once everything is removed, how much different are they from wet paper towels :p Nevertheless, I buy the small packs for a dollar and keep them on hand for accidents, since any paper toweling in the room ends up shredded into bits(no matter how hard I try to keep it out of reach).

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

NMR posted:

Somebody told me about a rotten onion smell on (as of yet) unneutered males and dear jesus they weren't kidding around. Does anybody know if this might have anything to do with me switching to a different kind of hay or is it just hormones pure and simple?

The smell is most likely his scent glands. Get him neutered and it should stop for the most part.

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

Windy posted:

I use wipes from Target. They have a dye free, aloe free, alcohol free, perfume free box for about 2 bucks. But once everything is removed, how much different are they from wet paper towels :p Nevertheless, I buy the small packs for a dollar and keep them on hand for accidents, since any paper toweling in the room ends up shredded into bits(no matter how hard I try to keep it out of reach).

Have you ever used them to try to get urine (etc.) off a little bunny behind? Jack's butt fur is white that's why it's so noticeable. Maybe Lucy's butt is the same way and I just can't tell because she's solid black. I really doubt it because she has her nice bunny-ish figure and Jack does not.

Edit: I've got to stop jumping the gun and replying to posts separately. Sorry guys!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Are
Dec 1, 2006

We Todd Ed.
Girlscoutdropout, have you seen this before? http://www.rabbitnetwork.org/articles/bond.shtml

There's a tactic specified that includes "stressing" the rabbits in an attempt to make them bond. It seems really interesting. God forbid your rabbits should get into a brawl, but if you have a loud vacuum cleaner on hand, it would scare them into huddling together.