Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

In my spare time I hypnotize bunnies.

You Are posted:

Girlscoutdropout, have you seen this before? http://www.rabbitnetwork.org/articles/bond.shtml

There's a tactic specified that includes "stressing" the rabbits in an attempt to make them bond. It seems really interesting. God forbid your rabbits should get into a brawl, but if you have a loud vacuum cleaner on hand, it would scare them into huddling together.

Nope, nothing scares them. It's funny that you mention vaccuuming. Lucy loves the vaccuum. I can't vaccuum with her in the room because she just runs up and shoves her back up against the vaccuum. It's a great (and fast) way to remove loose fur haha. I just can't believe a bunny would let me do that. Jack doesn't even move when I try to vaccuum, he's so lazy. I've tried using loud music, putting them in the car together...nothing works. But, like I said, I think they're making slow progress. They don't growl and "box" anymore at least.

Thanks for the tip though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

girlscoutdropout posted:

Nope, nothing scares them. It's funny that you mention vaccuuming. Lucy loves the vaccuum. I can't vaccuum with her in the room because she just runs up and shoves her back up against the vaccuum. It's a great (and fast) way to remove loose fur haha. I just can't believe a bunny would let me do that. Jack doesn't even move when I try to vaccuum, he's so lazy. I've tried using loud music, putting them in the car together...nothing works. But, like I said, I think they're making slow progress. They don't growl and "box" anymore at least.

Edit: Page 10! Woot!

You Are
Dec 1, 2006

We Todd Ed.

girlscoutdropout posted:

:aaa: You have a fearless soldier, ready to rub her butt against any threat. Do you think it's the vibrations along her muscles? Kinda like a massage?

That's another weird thing I found out about my rabbit. He likes backrubs. The midback is usually where predators grab rabbits, so he shouldn't LIKE being carried or getting backrubs. But he's cuddly in my arms and he lets me give him massages, from nose to almost-tail.

I'm going to videotape it for you guys. He chatters his teeth and everything.

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

girlscoutdropout posted:

Have you ever used them to try to get urine (etc.) off a little bunny behind? Jack's butt fur is white that's why it's so noticeable. Maybe Lucy's butt is the same way and I just can't tell because she's solid black. I really doubt it because she has her nice bunny-ish figure and Jack does not.

Edit: I've got to stop jumping the gun and replying to posts separately. Sorry guys!

I purchased baby wipes specifically for that reason. The staining doesn't wipe off immediately no matter what you use - pet specific or not. It takes several days in a row of patient fur blotting and smooshing to get the stains to a more tolerable tinge of yellow.

The reason I still keep them on hand is mainly for the cats, but also Debbie, who occasionally bathes in her litterbox like a chinchilla. She is such an odd one.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.

girlscoutdropout posted:

I thought that Paterson was deaf and blind for a while because nothing scared him. I think that I started believing that when I had to physically move him out of the way of the vacuum cleaner. It even has a light on it!

Solar Jetman
Dec 13, 2004

monsters get slain

Solar Jetman fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Mar 26, 2008

MrMoose
Jan 4, 2003

Happy Happy Joy Joy
I have a bunny question!

After reading, I realize it is a real good idea for a bunny to have a bunny buddy. However, if we have a cat already, does a cat make a good bunny buddy or is it a good idea still to get a second bunny?

If it matters, the kind of bunny I'm looking at is the Holland Lop.

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

MrMoose posted:

I have a bunny question!

After reading, I realize it is a real good idea for a bunny to have a bunny buddy. However, if we have a cat already, does a cat make a good bunny buddy or is it a good idea still to get a second bunny?

If it matters, the kind of bunny I'm looking at is the Holland Lop.

2 bunnies are better than one! Although cats can make good companions, they aren't as good as another bunny.

Size, breed, age, etc. doesn't matter. It just makes it alot easier if the bunny is of the opposite sex.

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

One of my cats tolerates the rabbits, the other doesn't. You would be better off, like dropout said, to get another bunny. Rabbits will almost always bond easier with another rabbit than another animal. Mine are not normal, and Murphy has it in his little head that Link(cat) is his bestest friend ever. But in his defense, Debbie(rabbit) tries to eat Murphy -in a bad way- when they are out together and the bonding just never seems to go well with those two.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

okay so here's some pictures of Bitsy (dwarf) and Paterson (lop)

her head is spinning!

she's being so cute with her little model pose.

he's always hiding

sweet boy

here's his real colours.

MrMoose
Jan 4, 2003

Happy Happy Joy Joy
I'll have to see if it is ok to have three pets here if two are bunnies, then. Since there is a two pet policy at the complex I live in, but not sure if it applies to bunnies. If not, I guess I'd have to wait since getting 1 is bad :(

Or is it not as bad as this thread makes it sound (to have a solo bunny, that is).

MrMoose fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Sep 21, 2007

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

Is there something I can spray on the bars of a cage to make my bunny stop chewing on them? I'm worried because I just noticed the white paint on the bars are chewed off in some places.

She has hay, she has a chewing stick, she has food, she has fruit and veggies, but she likes to chew on things she shouldn't. :( I'm mostly afraid she's ingested the paint and it might make her sick.

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

angelicism posted:

Is there something I can spray on the bars of a cage to make my bunny stop chewing on them? I'm worried because I just noticed the white paint on the bars are chewed off in some places.

She has hay, she has a chewing stick, she has food, she has fruit and veggies, but she likes to chew on things she shouldn't. :( I'm mostly afraid she's ingested the paint and it might make her sick.

You can wipe down liquid dish soap on the bars and let dry. That usually works, just make sure she doesn't ingest too much of that either.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

angelicism posted:

a game that I play with them is when they start to chew I put my hand against the bars so they can't chew and just move it along with them until they get frustrated and stop.

Moraine Sedai
Jan 17, 2006

Nap time yet?
Instead of soap, would something like Bitter Apple spray or even using distilled white vinegar work? I know that works for most puppies and kittens when they get into the "test everything with your mouth" phase.

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

Moraine Sedai posted:

Instead of soap, would something like Bitter Apple spray or even using distilled white vinegar work? I know that works for most puppies and kittens when they get into the "test everything with your mouth" phase.

Bitter apple doesn't phase some animals. I had one ferret who hated it, one that didn't mind. Two hamsters liked the flavor, one didn't. My cats and my mothers cats could care less about it, but my sisters kittens can't stand it. It's worth a shot though, but may or may not work.

Angelecism, bunny may just want to get out and play or be commanding attention :/ Have you plenty of toys to keep her occupied, not just food and sticks? Paper tubes(from tp and kitchen towels), boxes, old magazines and cheap plastic bird toys are awesome.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Windy posted:

Angelecism, bunny may just want to get out and play or be commanding attention :/ Have you plenty of toys to keep her occupied, not just food and sticks? Paper tubes(from tp and kitchen towels), boxes, old magazines and cheap plastic bird toys are awesome.

Does anyone else have a bunny that doesn't seem interested in toys, or is Momo ignoring his just because his run space is, currently, the entire house? I plan on sectioning off areas soon, slowly shrinking him down, so when we move back to my mom's, it won't be such a shock that he can't rush the entire house down. Will he be more responsive to toys when he has less room to run?

SpaceMonkey
Jul 11, 2006
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

TheDeadKnow posted:

Does anyone else have a bunny that doesn't seem interested in toys, or is Momo ignoring his just because his run space is, currently, the entire house? I plan on sectioning off areas soon, slowly shrinking him down, so when we move back to my mom's, it won't be such a shock that he can't rush the entire house down. Will he be more responsive to toys when he has less room to run?

my rabbit had toy's and never used them he has a ball with a bell but i think he just pushes it to get it out of his way. he only likes digging and trying to hump the female rabbit.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

angelicism posted:

At the risk of sounding naive, a manufacturer wouldn't put paint on a rabbit cage that was bad for them would they?

Mine likes putting his mouth around a bar and moving his head from right to left really quickly, makes him look like a hairy typewriter. My rabbit is really weird.

Solar Jetman
Dec 13, 2004

monsters get slain

TheDeadKnow posted:

My bunny is only interested in the toys she can eat - i.e. the grass ball with a bell innit.

SpaceMonkey
Jul 11, 2006
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

NMR posted:

At the risk of sounding naive, a manufacturer wouldn't put paint on a rabbit cage that was bad for them would they?

Mine likes putting his mouth around a bar and moving his head from right to left really quickly, makes him look like a hairy typewriter. My rabbit is really weird.

mine doesnt bite the bar just grabs a hold of them with his teeth and shakes them to make noise for food.

edit: my rabbit liked this one toy that was a ball made out of sticks with hay inside that stuck out on one side, only lasted a month till he destroyed it.

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

My bunny is not even sort of interested in toys. She has a plushie cube that she just moves out of her way in the cage, and one of those balls with a bell in it that she ignores completely unless it's in her wave. She completely bypasses the cardboard boxes littering my room and instead opts to chew on the cage bars when she's inside (and sometimes when the cage door is open -- she'll sit just inside the door and chew on the side of the door) and on my blanket/clothes when she's outside.

I need to pop by the pet store in a couple days anyway since I'm getting low on hay/food/litter so I'll see what else I can pick up that would remotely amuse her. Plastic bird toys? What are those?

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

The personal favorite toy in my bunny household:

Ours doesn't look exactly like that, but it's a 6 foot long crinkly cat tunnel I got from Petco for $10. I like it because it folds up and has a nice little bag it came with for when the landlord comes.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

angelicism posted:

I need to pop by the pet store in a couple days anyway since I'm getting low on hay/food/litter so I'll see what else I can pick up that would remotely amuse her. Plastic bird toys? What are those?

Actually the best toys are things you make at home. They like digging and chewing. The favorite toys in my rescue are old phone books for digging and tearing, cardboard boxes for chewing holes in, and small paper bags filled with hay and folded closed. Many (but not all) also like those plastic baby keys you can get in the baby aisle at the grocery store - they just like throwing them. Bird toys have never been a huge hit with anyone.

Here's a nice list of toy ideas. Here's some links to online sources for great toys - you can check those sites for other ideas. Busy Bunny has one of the BEST selections, all of these are hands down winners every time.

NMR posted:

I've had the hardest time finding any kind of source for rabbit care information that didn't contradict another

http://www.rabbit.org is the DEFINITIVE source. Anything that contradicts that is just plain wrong. ;)

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

alucinor posted:

Actually the best toys are things you make at home. They like digging and chewing. The favorite toys in my rescue are old phone books for digging and tearing, cardboard boxes for chewing holes in, and small paper bags filled with hay and folded closed. Many (but not all) also like those plastic baby keys you can get in the baby aisle at the grocery store - they just like throwing them. Bird toys have never been a huge hit with anyone.

I've only bought one bird toy for my bunnies, it's just a plastic chain with 4-5 links on it. Lucy likes to throw it, Jack doesn't care about it. I've tried every toy I could come up with and he had no interest (except the cat tunnel).

This is a favorite of Lucy's as well (from Busy Bunny). She throws it, and puts it in her food/water bowl if the food bowl is empty or if I haven't changed her water yet that day. Silly rabbit.

alucinor posted:

http://www.rabbit.org is the DEFINITIVE source. Anything that contradicts that is just plain wrong. ;)

Amen.

Frequent Handies
Nov 26, 2006

:yum:

Great thread. I just started thinking about getting another bunny (used to have two, took me awhile to get over losing lil 'ol leanin' Andy) when I wandered in here, read the whole thread, and saw one tantalizing reference to bunnies and kittens.

I've always wanted to bond a baby bunny and a kitten and have read online some success stories; has anyone here done that? I wouldn't want to deprive a rabbit of proper social happiness, watching Victoria and Andy before was just a blast when they'd go exploring around the house or hiding my belongings in their cage.

Want a cat, want a rabbit, won't have room for 3+ animals in one apartment though. =/

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

Yokohead posted:

I've always wanted to bond a baby bunny and a kitten and have read online some success stories; has anyone here done that? I wouldn't want to deprive a rabbit of proper social happiness,

Cats and rabbits can get along and can even become "friends" but they can't bond as a substitute for same-species companionship. See all the reasons given here.

Frequent Handies
Nov 26, 2006

alucinor posted:

Cats and rabbits can get along and can even become "friends" but they can't bond as a substitute for same-species companionship. See all the reasons given here.

Thank you for that, I guess the cat/rabbit idea isn't going to fly like I wanted. Last thing I'd want to do is deprive the bunny and unfortunately figured that'd be the case.

Two buns it is, then!

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?
speaking of bonding, Annie and I are going into Saveabunny tomorrow morning to start her bonding process with a (hopefully) litter trained, non destructive male bun like herself. Tomorrow is mostly speed-dating, and thursday morning we'll work on 1 on 1 stuff more. Don't worry goons, there will be pictures of the new bun the moment he gets home!

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

Deceptor101 posted:

speaking of bonding, Annie and I are going into Saveabunny tomorrow morning to start her bonding process with a (hopefully) litter trained, non destructive male bun like herself. Tomorrow is mostly speed-dating, and thursday morning we'll work on 1 on 1 stuff more. Don't worry goons, there will be pictures of the new bun the moment he gets home!

Even if the new bun is litter trained (and Annie) remember they both will probably lose all sight of litter habits when they are around each other until they are bonded. I've had Jack and Lucy for 3 months now and they still hop around each other's pen and poop everywhere, but anywhere else they are litter trained.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

girlscoutdropout posted:

Even if the new bun is litter trained (and Annie) remember they both will probably lose all sight of litter habits when they are around each other until they are bonded. I've had Jack and Lucy for 3 months now and they still hop around each other's pen and poop everywhere, but anywhere else they are litter trained.

oh what love can do to you....
seriously though, poop I can handle, it's the pee I'm worried about. Ah well deal with it when it happens.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

I wish that the bunnies would come into the room that I'm sleeping in more. These last few days they haven't been but in the past I've woken up to Paterson sitting on my head, Bitsy licking my face like there's no tomorrow and perked ears and two sweet babies running to me whenever they hear me stir. I love having bunnies and I don't care what anyone says. They're the best things in the world :colbert:

also, the best thing that happened to me this week was definitely when I lay down all tired and Bitsy came and lay down back to back with me and let out her little baby sigh

Frequent Handies
Nov 26, 2006

Another question... I was talking to a lady here in Santa Barbara that runs her own little foster home/rabbit shelter; apparently she trains all of her rabbits with a 'clicker'. It's a little device that, well, makes a click.

Apparently she uses it in conjunction with 'all things good', when feeding, grooming, ect. Quite amazing to see bunnies come rushing over to swarm around her feet when she clicks and says their name.

Has anyone else done this?

http://www.clickertraining.com/node/26 has a write up, thought it was pretty interesting.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

luscious posted:

I wish that the bunnies would come into the room that I'm sleeping in more. These last few days they haven't been but in the past I've woken up to Paterson sitting on my head, Bitsy licking my face like there's no tomorrow and perked ears and two sweet babies running to me whenever they hear me stir. I love having bunnies and I don't care what anyone says. They're the best things in the world :colbert:

also, the best thing that happened to me this week was definitely when I lay down all tired and Bitsy came and lay down back to back with me and let out her little baby sigh

Amen! Annie woke me up this morning and enjoyed some petting from me. She's sleeping over at Saveabunny right now to bond with this really cute boy named Ben (http://www.saveabunny.com/?q=node/2636) apparently things are going great, she's already grooming him! I really miss her though, my room feels so empty :(

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Deceptor101 posted:

Amen! Annie woke me up this morning and enjoyed some petting from me. She's sleeping over at Saveabunny right now to bond with this really cute boy named Ben (http://www.saveabunny.com/?q=node/2636) apparently things are going great, she's already grooming him! I really miss her though, my room feels so empty :(

he has such a nice story! Congrats.
Bitsy grooms Paterson a lot but he doesn't seem to understand how to groom her. It's heartbreaking, actually, because she snuggles against his chin so tenderly while he just sits there with his 1000 yard stare (or is it 100 yard stare)

TotalBiscuit
Sep 17, 2007
Those customizable wire cubes look like a great idea, and I'm up for some DIY to construct some kind of rabbit metropolis/deathstar. Where would you guys recommend as a supplier for these?

sunburnt_aphid
Nov 25, 2004

I feel like The Man hopping into my wonderful Wario Car. Whatever!! I don't care!
How much do bunnies cost? How does a person go about finding a bunny breeder or humane society to adopt them? Or is it still good to get one from PetSmart? I've been thinking about a bunny for awhile, but I want to be sure I know all about how to care for them first. I don't even know if they are supposed to get shots or how long they live! What is the official name for bunnies, is it Domesticated Rabbit?

I've noticed that some pictures show open topped pens, can't rabbits hop over them easily?

sunburnt_aphid fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Sep 28, 2007

girlscoutdropout
Dec 10, 2005

TotalBiscuit posted:

Those customizable wire cubes look like a great idea, and I'm up for some DIY to construct some kind of rabbit metropolis/deathstar. Where would you guys recommend as a supplier for these?

I know Target carries them. Bed, Bath, and Beyond and Linens N Things sometimes does.

sunburnt_aphid posted:

How much do bunnies cost? How does a person go about finding a bunny breeder or humane society to adopt them? Or is it still good to get one from PetSmart? I've been thinking about a bunny for awhile, but I want to be sure I know all about how to care for them first. I don't even know if they are supposed to get shots or how long they live! What is the official name for bunnies, is it Domesticated Rabbit?

I've noticed that some pictures show open topped pens, can't rabbits hop over them easily?

How much do bunnies cost?
Mine cost $70 from a rescue.

How does a person go about finding a bunny breeder or humane society to adopt them?
I found my rescue on petfinder.com - please please please don't go to a breeder! There are so many unwanted bunnies that need to be adopted.

Or is it still good to get one from PetSmart?
No, these bunnies haven't been socialized and if you adopt from a rescue, the rescuer can match your personality with a bunny's.

I've been thinking about a bunny for awhile, but I want to be sure I know all about how to care for them first. I don't even know if they are supposed to get shots or how long they live! What is the official name for bunnies, is it Domesticated Rabbit?
House rabbits (rabbits that live in a house 100% of the time) live 10-12 years on average. Bunnies that live outside live on average 2 years. Outside bunnies become neglected very easily, and are available to predators. Bunnies don't need shots, but they do need yearly exams from a vet experienced with rabbits.
I recommend www.rabbit.org or go to www.bunnyrescue.net (the rescue my buns came from) and under "Bunny Basics" you can download a .pdf of the bunny packet they give all new adopters. It has great info in it.

Some can, but most can't.

girlscoutdropout fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Sep 28, 2007

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Bitsy wants attention right now but I don't know what she wants. What do you guys do to play with your bunnies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

luscious posted:

Bitsy wants attention right now but I don't know what she wants. What do you guys do to play with your bunnies.

I take it this is other attention than a vigorous petting of the head area? Other times I'll just playfully chase Annie around the living room, I can tell it's playing because she'll do a happy dance while running away. One thing I've noticed Annie likes (as odd as it is) is she loves to play in my hanging shorts whilst I'm putting them on, so I dunno maybe dangling some large fabric type thing over Bitsy while she dances around in it, kinda like a cat and string. Maybe my bun is just weird though =P