Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows
I must've missed the boat on this one... I haven't been paying attention to DVDs a ton lately (poor and unemployed), but I was looking at out of print Criterions to see if any had dropped off since I last checked, and Charade is on the list. I don't remember Charade going out of print. Is it out of print because some other company has the rights to it now, or is Criterion planning on releasing an update? The latter seems really unlikely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Brian Fellows posted:

I must've missed the boat on this one... I haven't been paying attention to DVDs a ton lately (poor and unemployed), but I was looking at out of print Criterions to see if any had dropped off since I last checked, and Charade is on the list. I don't remember Charade going out of print. Is it out of print because some other company has the rights to it now, or is Criterion planning on releasing an update? The latter seems really unlikely.

The entire film was released as an extra on the remake The Truth About Charlie. So maybe Universal has the rights now.

IndieRockLance
Jan 29, 2003

The devourer of worlds demands a Moon Pie to satiate his hunger!

LaptopGun posted:

They have to as long as you physically clicked "submit" on the final review screen that had the lower price. Amazon claims its their super-duper protect the customer policy to ensure they get the lower price; in reality, if they didn't honor it they would be liable for a false advertisement/bait&switch investigation form the Better Business Burrow. There are exceptions to the rule (most of them perfectly reasonable), but this on the surface doesn't seem to be one. Amazon isn't Ebay- they have to follow actual laws you know. ;)

They could have, however, canceled the orders and claimed computer error.

But that doesn't seem to be the case since my copies of Green for Danger and When a Woman Ascends the Stairs have been shipped at the sweet price of 14 bucks each.

MP*DeafRei
Jul 22, 2001

Doctor of Nachology

Brian Fellows posted:

The old letter-boxed 1999 release is no longer being sold as they released an "updated" anamorphic DVD in 2004. So yeah they already released an update, one which still appears to be in print everywhere.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare2/charade.htm

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.

IndieRockLance posted:

They could have, however, canceled the orders and claimed computer error.

Yeah I didn't think of that.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Brian Fellows posted:

Is it out of print because some other company has the rights to it now, or is Criterion planning on releasing an update? The latter seems really unlikely.

What MP said about the anamorphic is right. Also, Charade is technically in the public domain since they forgot to put a copyright notice on it during its original release. This is why you can find cheap-o $5 versions left and right. However, the Criterion for Charade is probably one of my favorite DVDs. It really looks fantastic, and the extras are great.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Confirmation of Bottle Rocket

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

FitFortDanga posted:

Awesome. Now I'll finally buy it. I expect it to be relatively mediocre like P.T. Anderson's Hard Eight/Sydney, but heck, who doesn't like a full set?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Awesome. Now I'll finally buy it. I expect it to be relatively mediocre like P.T. Anderson's Hard Eight/Sydney, but heck, who doesn't like a full set?

It doesn't have the stylistic flair that his other films do, but it's a very good and funny movie with a lot of heart. I'd rank it above anything P.T. Anderson has done (what is it with goons and P.T. Anderson anyway?)

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

FitFortDanga posted:

It doesn't have the stylistic flair that his other films do, but it's a very good and funny movie with a lot of heart. I'd rank it above anything P.T. Anderson has done (what is it with goons and P.T. Anderson anyway?)

P.T. Anderson is a good director. Boogie Nights and Punch-Drunk Love are both incredibly solid movies; though the latter's too weird for a lot of people, it's one of my favorite movies of all time. Right up there with The Royal Tenenbaums.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

FitFortDanga posted:

Oh man, this is so exciting. Something about Bottle Rocket connected with me over the summer and I watched it nearly two times a week for most of the summer. I worked at blockbuster at the time, so I could rent it every week for free, this news makes me feel much better about never buying it.

LordEvilElmo
Feb 8, 2004

The box... Says no
Fantastic news - Bottle Rocket is one of those films I have meant to watch, but never got round to. Criterion releasing it will force me to import it. I love the style that they went for with Rushmore, The Royal Tenenbaums and The Life Aquatic; The extras are superb (In fact, the 'Max Fischer Players Present...' shorts are my favourite extra of all time)

Yak Face
May 6, 2007
Freewheelin'
Wes Anderson

P T Anderson

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Yak Face posted:

Wes Anderson

P T Anderson

Was there a point to this post?

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
According to a post on Criterion Forum, MGM films licensed are the result of a deal for commentaries. So, apparently for each commentary they licensed from Criterion (like one on Raging Bull), they licensed out a film. House of Games is the first. There's apparently 4-5 films and only one will be new to DVD. No Billy Wilder or Stanley Kubrick titles are in the deal.

It seems to be speculated that Salo is one of them (part of UA), The Thief of Bagdad is confirmed.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish
Haven't they been talking about re-releasing Salo for like, six months now?

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
Would that not then make sense? Securing the license is kinda important.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

DVDBeaver checks out the new Days of Heaven. Hard to believe this movie could look EVEN BETTER, can't wait to get my hands on it.

Saul
May 9, 2006

fuck your limo

FitFortDanga posted:

DVDBeaver checks out the new Days of Heaven. Hard to believe this movie could look EVEN BETTER, can't wait to get my hands on it.

October the 23rd cannot come soon enough. Days of Heaven is the most beautiful colour film I've ever seen - the fact that it has got a Criterion release is absolutely fantastic.

I'm also doing my dissertation on Malick, so I'm extremely interested in the bonus features on the DVD, especially the essays by both Adrian Martin and Nestor Almendros.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Someone over at HTF says he heard it from Albert Maysles' mouth that the following are coming in 2008:

A Visit With Truman Capote (1966)
Meet Marlon Brando (1966)
Muhammed and Larry (1980)

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
http://www.criterionforum.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23

Josef von Sternberg silents are in the works. This probably means that Criterion has at least The Last Command (1928, starring Emil Jannings) from Paramount. Paramount also owns Underworld and Docks of New York, too.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

This Sporting Life is confirmed as an upcoming title. I think it's even better than If... (although the two are quite different films).

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

And Alex Cox's Walker appears to be confirmed as well.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Well, poo poo... I'm just about to leave work, but Criterion just posted the January releases. I'll try to post covers and specs later.

#415 - The Naked Prey
#416 - Miss Julie
#417 - This Sporting Life
#418 - "4 x Varda" box set includes:
...#73 Cleo From 5 To 7
...#74 Vagabond
...#419 La Pointe Courte
...#420 Le Bonheur

Pretty cool lineup. Dunno yet if there are new specs for the two previously released Vardas or if they're the same old discs.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

The Naked Prey

- New, restored high-definition digital transfer
- Audio commentary by film scholar Stephen Prince
- "John Colter’s Escape," a 1913 written record of the trapper's flight from Blackfoot Indians—which was the inspiration for The Naked Prey—read by actor Paul Giamatti
- Original soundtrack cues created by director Cornel Wilde and ethnomusicologist Andrew Tracey, along with a written statement by Tracey on the score
- Theatrical trailer
- PLUS: A booklet featuring a new essay by film critic Michael Atkinson and a 1970 interview with Wilde

My take: my knee-jerk impression is that this is one of those mediocre/fair/decent films that Criterion puts on a pedestal for some esoteric reason (see: Equinox). We'll see.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Miss Julie

- New video essay by film historian Peter Cowie
- Archival television interview with director Alf Sjöberg
- 2006 television documentary about the play Miss Julie and dramatist August Strindberg
- Theatrical trailer
- New and improved English subtitle translation
- PLUS: A booklet featuring new essays by film scholars Peter Matthews and Birgitta Steene

My take: very interested, this has been on my "want to see" list for a while. Definitely want to know more about Strindberg, since he was so important to Bergman. Sjoberg did a great job directing one of Bergman's early scripts, Torment.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

This Sporting Life

- Audio commentary featuring Paul Ryan, editor of Never Apologise: The Collected Writings of Lindsay Anderson, and David Storey, screenwriter and author of This Sporting Life
- Theatrical trailer
- Lindsay Anderson: Lucky Man? (2004, 30 min), a documentary from BBC Scotland featuring interviews with many of the director's close friends and collaborators
- New video interview with Lois Sutcliffe Smith, Anderson's close friend and president of the Lindsay Anderson Memorial Foundation
- Meet the Pioneers (1948), Lindsay Anderson's first documentary short
- Wakefield Express (1952), Anderson's short-film contribution to England's Free Cinema series, shot in the same town that served as the location for This Sporting Life
- Is That All There Is? (1992, 50 min), Anderson's autobiographical, final film

My take: excellent film, superb selection of bonus features. Not a buy for me, but a definite rental.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Cleo From 5 To 7

- New, restored digital transfer, supervised and approved by director Agnes Varda
- Remembrances: a 2005 documentary on the making of the film, featuring interviews with Varda, Corinne Marchand, and Antoine Bourseiller
- Excerpt from a 1993 French television program featuring Madonna and Varda talking about Cléo
- Cleo's Real Path Through Paris, a short film from 2005 in which Varda retraces Cleo's steps through Paris, on a motorcycle
- Les Fiancés du Pont Macdonald (1961), a short film directed by Varda, featuring Jean-Luc Godard and Anna Karina, and Varda explaining why this film was featured as the film within the film L’opéra Mouffe (1958), an early short by Varda, with a score by Georges Delerue New and improved English subtitle translation
- PLUS: A new essay by Adrian Martin and a written introduction by Agnès Varda

My take: new cover art, new extras and apparently now exclusive to the box set? I don't know. Good film, but I don't really want to see it again. However, I'd like to see all the new bonus features.

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Oct 16, 2007

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Vagabond

- New restored digital transfer, supervised and approved by director Agnes Varda
- Remembrances: a 2003 documentary on the making of the film, including interviews with Sandrine Bonnaire and other cast members
- The Story of an Old Lady: Varda's 2003 short film revisiting actress Marthe Jarnias, who plays the old aunt in the film
- A 2003 interview with Varda and composer Joanna Bruzdowicz
- A 1986 radio interview with writer Nathalie Sarraute, who inspired the film
- Theatrical trailer
- PLUS: A new essay by Chris Darke and written introduction by Agnes Varda

My take: again, new cover, new extras. Been wanting to see this one again, so a rental for sure.

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Oct 16, 2007

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

La Pointe Courte

- New, restored high-definition digital transfer, supervised and approved by director Agnes Varda
- New video interview with Varda
- Archival 1964 television episode from Cinéastes de notre temps, in which Varda discusses her early career
- Theatrical trailer

My take: Varda's first film, I guess I'm a little curious.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Le Bonheur

- New, restored high-definition digital transfer, supervised and approved by director Agnes Varda
- Actor Jean-Claude Drouot revisits the film's setting forty years later
- A 2006 interview with actors Claire Drouot and Marie-France Boyer
- A 2006 discussion with four scholars and intellectuals discussing the concept of happiness and its relation to the film
- Srchival footage of Varda shooting Le bonheur
- 1998 interview with Varda, discussing Le bonheur
- Du Côté de la côte (1958), a short film directed by Varda exploring the tourist destination of the Côte D'Azur
- Theatrical trailer

My take: yep, will check this one out too.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

I'm really excited about Miss Julie, I've been looking forward to seeing that one for some time and for more or less the same reasons you mentioned. I like that cover too.

I haven't seen any of the Varda stuff, but I get the impression I would enjoy it so I'm definitely looking forward to that box as well.

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Don't you fear the yetis in Rio?

FitFortDanga posted:

The Naked Prey

- Audio commentary by film scholar Stephen Prince
- "John Colter’s Escape," a 1913 written record of the trapper's flight from Blackfoot Indians—which was the inspiration for The Naked Prey—read by actor Paul Giamatti
- Original soundtrack cues created by director Cornel Wilde and ethnomusicologist Andrew Tracey, along with a written statement by Tracey on the score
- Theatrical trailer
- PLUS: A booklet featuring a new essay by film critic Michael Atkinson and a 1970 interview with Wilde

My take: my knee-jerk impression is that this is one of those mediocre/fair/decent films that Criterion puts on a pedestal for some esoteric reason (see: Equinox). We'll see.

Im excited to see this coming out. Its been a while since I saw this on AMC before that channel started showing commercials/tv shows/movies made last year. There are some scenes in it that you cant forget! man getting cooked alive in clay pot

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
Looks like the Ernst Lubitsch Eclipse set will have four films:

The Love Parade
Monte Carlo
One Hour With You
The Smiling Lieutenant

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Awesome. In one blow this covers 4 of the 11 Kurosawa movies I haven't seen yet (with the upcoming Drunken Angel being another one), plus One Wonderful Sunday which I quite liked.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

FitFortDanga posted:

Awesome. In one blow this covers 4 of the 11 Kurosawa movies I haven't seen yet (with the upcoming Drunken Angel being another one), plus One Wonderful Sunday which I quite liked.

Ok, when does this come out?

I'm so happy about this.

Has it been mentioned what cut of "The Idiot" is going to be on here?

zandert33 fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Oct 16, 2007

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

zandert33 posted:

Ok, when does this come out?

I'm so happy about this.

Has it been mentioned what cut of "The Idiot" is going to be on here?

1/15/08. You can preorder on Criterion's site for $55.96. There's no mention of which cut they're using for The Idiot. I don't think anyone has ever found the full premiere version though.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

FitFortDanga posted:

1/15/08. You can preorder on Criterion's site for $55.96. There's no mention of which cut they're using for The Idiot. I don't think anyone has ever found the full premiere version though.

Well, one could hope...

So it'll be about $35 with a DVDPlanet 20% deal.... nice

IndieRockLance
Jan 29, 2003

The devourer of worlds demands a Moon Pie to satiate his hunger!

zandert33 posted:

Well, one could hope...

So it'll be about $35 with a DVDPlanet 20% deal.... nice

That is shockingly cheap. Are these all shorts or something? I'd expect a box set like that to go for upwards of 80 bucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

IndieRockLance posted:

That is shockingly cheap. Are these all shorts or something? I'd expect a box set like that to go for upwards of 80 bucks.
Eclipse sets have no extras, and he's talking about what the set will be on sale, not regular price. It's still a great price and I'm excited to see those movies.

Also, Criterion has The Idiot listed as 166 minutes, which is the standard theatrical version.